CAG Socom Thread-SONY SHUTTING DOWN SERVERS AUGUST 31 for S1-CA Tue&Sun10pmEST

[quote name='MisterBee']I will also be picking it up at midnight
along with Portal 2 despite already having the steam version preloaded ready to go, I

[quote name='MisterBee']I will also be picking it up at midnight
along with Portal 2 despite already having the steam version preloaded ready to go, I

[quote name='j-cart']ME!

I going to have work off tomorrow!.[/QUOTE]

if everything works well with their servers I'm taking Thursday afternoon off.

You don't have to play the older iterations of SOCOM to get confrontation or SOCOM 4. The story is not linear and doesn't really have a sweeping arc like a lot of other franchises.

I will not be getting Socom4 on the release date - I'll stick with Confrontation for awhile until the prices some down. I'm a Socom addict and have been playing since Socom1 but after playing the beta, I'm not super stoked about it.

-shrug-

Mike

either i save $25 bucks with a gamefly copy or i be an impatient toddler n go out n get the game somewhere myself. hmm, difficult being cheap...

Well it's official. Since my car craped, I have to put my funds towards another car. Luckily I have a $20 Kmart gc so hopefully Kmart will have a $40 sale in a month or so and I can steal a copy for $20.

[quote name='smiggity']Well I'm up and running again, so hopefully all is well tonight. Anyone else grabbing at Midnight?[/QUOTE]

My midnight is your 3am...

and I'm lazy and love sleep more than SOCOM.

I'll be there tomorrow and the rest of the week.

Well shit, looks like I need to pick up a copy of the new game. Moving out of the sticks and into cable internet range again at the start of May. Looking forward to being the usual wandering bullet magnet, cheers!

Good to hear Dirty!

Well yeah my PS3 drive is done. I will be picking up a new one tomorrow @ BB for the giftcard. Mr B if you wanna make the clan go for it, if not it will be up by noon. It sucks having the game but cant play

Good gaming with you dudes on day one.

Few things that still have me a bit annoyed:

1. Camera- I thought Confrontation's 3rd to OTS to first person was bad, but the auto zooming and claustrophobic feel of the camera.

2. Small corridors- Why make a room feel that much smaller than it is? The zoomed camera effect makes going through some areas just unbearable.

3. Zoom- It increases accuracy. That was how I was pulling of some of those crazy headshots. Zooming in increases accuracy. This isn't CoD, I don't want to be constancy trying to zoom in for each frag I try to make. It isn't auto-aiming, but just like in MAG, there is a bit of lee-way when you zoom in.

4. Grenade spawn kills. It is just better to hang off for just a second. This is not as bad and CoD, but in a respawn game, this shouldn't happen.

5. Dpad Lean- The cover system doesn't help. We need d-pad lean back.

6. Frogman Preset- Or rather where are the others? I can not be the only one that has been having problems. Needs the ability to control the deadzone too.

There is more, but after seeing a bit of the intro SP (the cut-scenes are very well done) I now realized that Socom didn't need Socom 4, we just needed Socom: Confrontation but made by Zipper. Slant Six might have had bugs, but the game was HD Socom. That is all Socomers want.

We'll see how this works out, but me being the only person at my gamestop to buy Socom 4, while everyone else got MK or Portal 2 says that Zipper just needs to cater to fans. Look at the fighting games, they still play the older ones because that is what got them into the series. Work hard this next few months and make this game better than what it is right now.

/edit: Anyone else having problems with the Socom.com forum? Mine shows up all weird in white and just plan text. No avatar graphics or anything.

Ya good games. Forum working fine for me. Have you checked out the new beta.socom.com??? Pretty cool stuff in there.

My list of fixes is equally as long, but number 1 is game modes. These new ones just dont do it for me. I cant believe the late spawning is still in there and apparently the Clan Challenge is still messed up.

Well, I was planning to pick up the game at Best Buy today but the damn RewardZone site is apparently down so I cannot print the certificates I was going to use to pay for it :whistle2:(

I...need...this...game...already! Ugh...stuck at work for another couple of hours before I can go home and start owning some noobs :)

Wow you can already feel a bit of difference since the beta. The turning felt different and my fav SMG is weaaaak.
So I'm guessing we're playing tonight? I'll def be playing with ya'll tonight. Gotta level my guns up, get them silencers on them babies.
Who's without the Abandoned map like me?

after playing with the move/gun, I feel like its easy to get head shots with them. I've played the campaign, but this might be bad for online play. Lets just say I feel like i have smog power in confrontation.

I'm at a lake association meeting right now and can hardly wait to get home and give this a go. I need a clan invite and then I hope to see some CAGs on.

New problem: Camera Zoom during objectives. When you have to hold circle to download/upload the data, my camera zooms in so close that I can see through the box.

The is still certainly fun to play with a solid clan. Wish I was around playing with you guys in Confrontation.

The bomb squad game mode has grown on me a lot. I had front row seats to Smog's 6 knife swipes :D Can't wait to be playing this game even more when Zipper starts to iron it more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure. I hope so.
Good night of Socom, boys. Especially the 4 v 4 we're doing right as I'm typing. Boost up our rating, freakin' wipin' the floor with these fools.

Good games tonight. I really liked that junk yard map, had my best round on it. Is the Abandoned map from the GameStop pre-order?

[quote name='flyriceboii']Anybody know if Abandoned is shareable?[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure it is. I pulled the shotgun off our group's account and had it in game.

[quote name='nfs3freak']I'm not sure. I hope so.
Good night of Socom, boys. Especially the 4 v 4 we're doing right as I'm typing. Boost up our rating, freakin' wipin' the floor with these fools.[/QUOTE]

Socrack it is. I should've quit way earlier as the more tired I became the more I sucked. It was really awesome getting to play some of the new maps (except going 0-6 on that night map, all my xp came from the weakest link. lol)

OK, RZ site came back online last night. So, I'll be picking up S4 today at BestBuy.
From what I'm hearing the Sharp Shooter may be worth it????

On a side note, it was crazy last night to see everybody online on my PSN friends list playing SOCOM except for the 1 person I was playing Portal 2 with. There was even people online playing SOCOM that I figured had just gotten rid of their PS3s!

I have the bundle with the sharpshooter. I think I need to move my camera to under my television. My tv is mounted up on the wall and the camera points down so the aiming was a bit wild. It does work and the aiming gives you a red dot and laser site, but it will take some getting used to. After a couple rounds I shut it off and went back the the dualshock. I will probably use it more in the single player to get used to it.

Socom is addicting, especially when you pull of some pretty awesome round wins.

So far Bomb Squad sets up for some epic final fights. Either you are the lone bomb tech taking on 3+ dudes on your own. Or you are trying to find the bomb tech who has a freaking NADE launcher :D

Just fix some of the problems they got (we all know what they are) and I'll keep playing this game until the next one comes out.

I'm loving the game. Only thing I can complain is the camera (especially in cramped quarters) and how ridiculously good grenades are. They're pretty much grenade launchers.

from what i gathered, i takes two knives in the back and a full clip to kill a 100% bomb tech.

==============================================

wotcher's mic issue
im using the tritton ax270. im talking but it seems that you guys cant hear me. I don't notice the mic symbol in the lobby but i notice that its there in the game when i push up. i think its that my internet is nat 3 and not the preferrred nat 2. i was having the same problem with jcart in gt5. i canceled my dsl a few months ago ( i had nat 2). resigned up and couldnt figure out how to switch it back to nat 2 with port switching and other youtube how to videos. it could be that mic is broken. or my puc controller is broken because that allows you to switch mic on and off. i haven't been able to test on a pc to confirm.

i always get the no mic crap, especially as a commanding officer in mag. i have two of the official ps3 bt mics and the ax720. i can't use it most of the time because it will wake up other people; hence, i got the headphones for late night gaming.

attention socrack addictis: if you have some extra money, I recommend getting a headset with dobly headphone (DH) dac (digital to audio) converter. DH gives you a stimulated surround sound experience. in my opinion, its vastly superior to "true" 5.1 or 7.1 headphones. instead of using tiny drivers all placed in your earcuff to gives you 5.1 with the later, the former uses algorithms to change amptitude and frequency to trick your brain into thinking that sound is coming from a specific direction.

With that being said, if you a great set of cans, its worthless if the game doesnt have good audio. ive read that you rule mw2 ffa because you hear each tiny footset, explosion, gun fire, etc. In black ops, you get no additional benefit because the sounds are screwed up. I noticed that socom 4 sounds are pretty good. I can discern position of gunfire and steps on metal. But I still got knived in the back on the highway map.

recommendations
1. tritton ax720 $100-120
includes closed headset (headphone + integrated mic), DH converter box. its great b/c youre paying for the box but get a set of phones free. You can hook up other headphones to the box. Half the price of astro set

2. astro a40 $250
includes wireless DH mixamp converter box and headset (headphone + integrated mic)

3. wiress mixamp + your choice of headphone + attached mic + amp if you need to drive voice
$100-140 + variable

It might be hard to justify spending so much on headphones. I did it to not wake up people and still enjoy my gaming experience.

for more reading, Shin's (aka MLE) Guide
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1285726

Just an FYI on mics. With one of the last PS3 firmware updates they apparently did something to affect the mic volume via speakers because I have been using a pair of Turtle Beach Ear Force X40's surround sound headphones (also for family/noise reasons) paired with the official Sony headset in speaker mode since the early days of Socom Confrontation without a hitch and even for Killzone 3 recently. In this setup I could hear voice-chat via the speakers/headphones loud and clear and I would speak through the headset connected via the usb cradle. Then, all of a sudden with one of the last updates voice-chat was reduced to a faint whisper going both ways. I even resorted to cranking up the mic volume to 100% while I had music at 0% and all others at 10% in KZ3 and still can barely hear people.

I will 2nd what wotcher said on the sound in MW2 and not being quite up to par in Black Ops. I think it is the mix of other sound effects in Black Ops that drowns out foot-steps vs in MW2 where the footstep mix is cranked way up so that everyone sounds like a Clydesdale unless they have the Ninja perk on. I used to use SitRep Pro in MW2 (twice enemy footstep sound, no teammate sound) and could tell exactly where enemies were coming from a mile away whereas Ninja Pro in Black Ops not only makes enemies louder but teammates as well.

Anyway, I got my copy of SOCOM4 today so I should be on tonight and I'm just going to use my TV speakers with my sony headset so I can communicate.

in my experience tritton mics stink.
i agree completely with the benefit of good surround headphones. especially in games where positional awareness is vital.

You can add turtle beach to the stink. The headsets I've tried are noisy.

Running an astro mixamp and a pair of stereo cans. Works fine, but as woodcan says, mic volume through speakers is too quiet and in most games I have to turn down all volume and increase mic volume to be able to hear. Volume through the actual sony mic is more than loud enough though.

Basically if I'm feeling like headphone hair, then yeah, cans all the way. If not, then speakers and bt mic on my ear.

Wotcher - why not test the mic out on the ps3 itself? I cannot remember the exact location, but it is where you pick you mic input & output. you can also pair any BT mic with any headset if that is your issue.

As for sounds, the beta had better sound placement than BO.

[quote name='option.iv']You can add turtle beach to the stink. The headsets I've tried are noisy.

Running an astro mixamp and a pair of stereo cans. Works fine, but as woodcan says, mic volume through speakers is too quiet and in most games I have to turn down all volume and increase mic volume to be able to hear. Volume through the actual sony mic is more than loud enough though.

Basically if I'm feeling like headphone hair, then yeah, cans all the way. If not, then speakers and bt mic on my ear.[/QUOTE]

the hpa2/hpx are better than everything else they make, the gaming sound quality is on par with 595s. the mic is good, i got asked about my mic frequently because the voice quality was noticeably above the norm.

the difficulty balancing game and voice audio levels was my only real complaint with the mixamp.

it blows my mind that there arent better options for quality gaming/chat headsets.

[quote name='maxim2boobles']how you guys taking the metacritic 64 score? is it worth a rental or wait for gamefly $10 sale[/QUOTE]

By asking us you are going to get one response, SoCrack.

The game has the makings to be a solid entry into the Socom franchise. The problem? We will have to wait for that to happen.

No other game gives us the experience that Classic Socom can give us. $60 bucks? Worth every penny. Already put in over 12 hours into MP.

/edit: My mic and headphone is setup the same way Woodcan's.

Ok good. I saw an article on Kotaku just now and it's officially down. We were in the middle of clan matches and signing out now can't sign in at all like everybody else. lovely

bread's done
Back