CAG Socom Thread-SONY SHUTTING DOWN SERVERS AUGUST 31 for S1-CA Tue&Sun10pmEST

I couldn't get back onto SOCOM so I turned my PS3 off and now I can't get onto the PSN.

The 4 v 4 games were going pretty good too.

I'll be on tomorrow.

We should try some Co-op.

I gotta pick this up today. Put in a few extra hours early this morning to fix a problem at work (3-5AM) so I should be able to get to the K-Mart and cash in some gift cards / SYWR points for it.

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']I am loving this game, i cant wait for a patch though, for party matchmaking and better clan support.[/QUOTE]

I don't own the game (yet) I've only played the beta... but does that mean its still like the beta with trying to join with friends?

Hope and Wait?

[quote name='paz9x']the hpa2/hpx are better than everything else they make, the gaming sound quality is on par with 595s. the mic is good, i got asked about my mic frequently because the voice quality was noticeably above the norm.

the difficulty balancing game and voice audio levels was my only real complaint with the mixamp.

it blows my mind that there arent better options for quality gaming/chat headsets.[/QUOTE]

if its too low, you need to amp the mixamp with fiio f7/f9. theyre able to drive the notoriously difficulty k702s.

ive been debating between upgrading to senn pc 360 headset (based on a updated 595 profile) or beyer dynamic 990 32ohm + extra mic. pc360 has been getting great reviews on avs and head fi.

It was nice to finally be back into SOCOM last night. Since initially nobody was on I played a couple of regular matches by myself (bomb squad and suppression), got spawn killed repeatedly, and so I decided to play Portal 2 co-op with a friend otherwise I would have joined you guys sooner.

I'll probably try some this afternoon again and will be on again tonight but I will just try some Classic instead. Also, what the hell was up with that clan challenge match where all but I think 3 rounds I spawned like 30-60 seconds late just to get pumped full of bullets immediately taking off most of my health?!? I tried my best regardless :D Do we know if they run on dedicated Zipper servers for clan matches or is this a host advantage/sync problem? One more thing this game could really benefit from is the map grid implemented in Black Ops to better call out enemy positions.

When Zipper patches a fix for the party and clan systems I hope they put in a way to tell the rank of the group that is challenging you. The last game that I was in last night we totally got wasted. And even though the group had the same number of players that we did, they all had weapons at level 5 and had everything totally down. I still haven't got a weapon to the first level yet (getting 3 kills a game doesn't help), but if Zipper is trying to compete with the Call of Duty, Killzone and Halo games they need to figure out the math making. Disciple was saying in Killzone you can only challenge so far above and below your rank and if I remember right, confrontation was the same way in their broken system.

And just so everybody hasn't checked or already tried, the PSN is still down and it may actually take a day or two to get back up. They aren't sure what the problem is so keep checkin' the playstation blog or keep trying throughout the day to log into the PSN.

Hopefully it'll be up by tonight so we all can get playin' again.

any1 ever hear the socom 4 theme song in 8-bit style play during single player campaign? it happened to me while
i was doing the mission where you have to shoot down the frigate

[quote name='MisterBee']Yeah md abandoned and the shotguns are the same code that's printed on the rescript[/QUOTE]

Can you still get this if you buy at GameStop or was it preorder only?

Preorder only. I tried warning everyone in the thread title. It sucks too because it is easily one of the top maps in S4. I am sure it will be available eventually though.

So we cant sign on to PSN for two days? Im busy this weekend but was hoping to get some more Clan Challenges in tonight and send these clan invites out.

[quote name='smiggity']Preorder only. I tried warning everyone in the thread title. It sucks too because it is easily one of the top maps in S4. I am sure it will be available eventually though.

So we cant sign on to PSN for two days? Im busy this weekend but was hoping to get some more Clan Challenges in tonight and send these clan invites out.[/QUOTE]

Well with the proper coersion they can type in a six character code in their system and have it gen a PSN code upon purchase. I just went in there, looked around a while, then asked about the shotty / map (they had a stack of flyers right at the register) and said "sorry, preorder". I said "okay" and proceeded to start to leave when he then said "maybe there's a way" and found this 6 digit code to enter at the register when ringing up a copy, and "poof" out comes the code.

This is very YMMV however, so don't get your hopes extremely high.

Now I have a code that I can't redeem because PSN is FUBARed.

i was trying to hold off a bit on buying this but i dont know if i can.
my inadequacies will only be more obvious if i wait.

anybody know if theres anything special for picking it up at a certain retailer?

[quote name='smiggity']Preorder only. I tried warning everyone in the thread title. It sucks too because it is easily one of the top maps in S4. I am sure it will be available eventually though.

So we cant sign on to PSN for two days? Im busy this weekend but was hoping to get some more Clan Challenges in tonight and send these clan invites out.[/QUOTE]

I'll keep you guys posted (unless someone's else notes before I do) when the PSN is back up. I'm just at home moving my stuff in so I'll check often on the blog and keep trying to log in. I hope it works cuz I wanna get some games in tonight.

In the meantime, maybe I'll singleplayer it up. We were wondering about the characters in multiplayer last night and it looks like 4 are from Singleplayer, 2 Coop (including red shirt and civilian baldy dude) and the rest in Multiplayer unlocks

[quote name='nfs3freak']And just so everybody hasn't checked or already tried, the PSN is still down and it may actually take a day or two to get back up. They aren't sure what the problem is so keep checkin' the playstation blog or keep trying throughout the day to log into the PSN.

Hopefully it'll be up by tonight so we all can get playin' again.[/QUOTE]

PSN outage sucks royally, I wonder if this is the hacking community responding to the GeoHot settlement from last week. A couple of months ago TimeWarnerCable temporarily blocked some ports so that nobody in Central Texas using Road Runner could log into XBL or PSN for a couple of days. Also, anyone else have the Sony site hang their browser? Keeps happening to me when I try to log in (before I read about the PSN outage) on several browsers and 2 different systems since yesterday.

[quote name='MisterBee']Yeah md abandoned and the shotguns are the same code that's printed on the rescript[/QUOTE]

[quote name='smiggity']Preorder only. I tried warning everyone in the thread title. It sucks too because it is easily one of the top maps in S4. I am sure it will be available eventually though.[/QUOTE]

Does anybody know if the Abandoned map/shotgun code is gameshareable (sorry if it's already been answered)? I ask because a buddy of mine got it and was willing to let me download it if it was gameshareable.

The abandoned map/shotgun is gameshareable.

As for the Sony blog/site hanging, it doesn't for me. It might be a browser/plugin issue.

I somehow doubt it's the hackers thing. Kotaku and other sites are assuming it is Anon again, but knowing Anon (although, yes, they're anonymous and breakoffs/individuals could still perpetrate the same thing), this doesn't seem like it since they usually make an announcement while or prior, whether well versed or not. You could def check 4chan if you desperately wanna find out if it's Anon, but I wouldn't.

Tons of sites are temporarily down or having issues too due to servers. It's just an overall crappy day for the internets (Reddit is down for me, and so I gotta resort to other means).

dtruk - if you were playing socrack all morning, you would be still be golden. friski mentioned that hes still on psn only because he never signed off

[quote name='enufs8d']dtruk - if you were playing socrack all morning, you would be still be golden. friski mentioned that hes still on psn only because he never signed off[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Last night we were trying to get into a clan match and my game jacked up by stating that Clan Challenge Accepted but got stuck on it. I think Smog got thrown into the game but nobody else was in it, so I had to restart my system. If I hadn't and managed to quit the game, I'd probably still be signed on now, or not, who knows. PSN needs to be fixed PRONTO...I just finished portal 2 on PC and attempted Socom singleplayer (holy crap it is boring...I had to stop playing it).

I was about to join you guys. But Socom has essentially been reduced to a coaster because of this PSN outtage. Sigh... I might, dare I say, have to become productive and possibley go out into the outside world!

[quote name='option.iv']I was about to join you guys. But Socom has essentially been reduced to a coaster because of this PSN outtage. Sigh... I might, dare I say, have to become productive and possibley go out into the outside world![/QUOTE]

NOOOooooooo....Don't do it!

I don't like that you can't run out and shoot like crazy. Oh and the people on your team need to be brought back to life too much. I also hate that it's easy to get cornered and have grenades thrown at you. Oh and the missions you play as 45, that's like the opposite of how I play. But other than that the single player campaign hasn't been too bad.

And option don't go outside, it's horrible. There are people with germs and the sun. Which burns you...

[quote name='AXV1']I don't like that you can't run out and shoot like crazy. Oh and the people on your team need to be brought back to life too much. I also hate that it's easy to get cornered and have grenades thrown at you. Oh and the missions you play as 45, that's like the opposite of how I play. But other than that the single player campaign hasn't been too bad.[/QUOTE]

Those sound like good reasons the SP sucks. I'm also playing it on hard...and yeah, a few bullets and I'm dead (which you could say is realistic, but come on...it's not if a few bullets doesn't kill them).

COME ON PSN, GET BACK UP!

Dude, I cannot believe they wasted the majority of their resources on this Single Player. The missions are bad, the marker forcing you a certain way is horrible, your tactics are very limited with the horrid squad commands. Seriously zipper this is why MP was an afterthought???? I am halfway through and really do not want to ever boot it up again. They really really messed up with this iteration of Socom.

Anyways Dunham is teasing Breach and or Demo on twitter. We need it soon so we can play something other than bomb squad

[quote name='smiggity']Dude, I cannot believe they wasted the majority of their resources on this Single Player. The missions are bad, the marker forcing you a certain way is horrible, your tactics are very limited with the horrid squad commands. Seriously zipper this is why MP was an afterthought???? I am halfway through and really do not want to ever boot it up again. They really really messed up with this iteration of Socom.[/QUOTE]
The single player isn't that bad, I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit. They do need to add a layer to the command structure, I'll agree with you there. The AI needs a little direction sometimes to get to a way point if a wall is in front of them and the waypoint but I like tasking targets for my team to take down. There needs to be a 'take down all targets; rather than queued targets.

So with the outage I've been trying the move with the single player. It is a pretty boring story, but I've enjoyed the missions with 45. It really reminds me of the Syphon Filter games which I loved back on the ps1.

As far as the move goes, I like using it, but I do have some issues with it. I have a 46" tv that I'm around 10 feet away from. When the camera was on top it really struggled, so I put it under which helped a bit, but it still tells me quite frequently thatthe camera can't find the move controller. I then need to try and find the exact position for it to be in again so it will pick it up. The aim also seems to move around as I play. After calibration, I am aiming at the screen, but after playing for awhile I am practically aiming at my wall to the right of my couch. Sometimes if I wave the controller around for a by it will go half to allowing the controller to aim a the screen. I used the sharpshooter for a total of 5 minutes until it became unplayable because I'm aiming at my fireplace while tying to look at my television. When the controller is working properly for me, I do like it and can see using it all the time (without the sharpshooter). It needs to be taken into consideration that even though I love playing this with the CAG clan, I suck at shooters and have never been able to keep my kill to death even close to a 1 to 1 (except for in COD). I can't imagine smog, d-truck or any of the other guys on the squad that go out and rip everyone up, would ever want to play this way.

The story is non-existent and character development is horrible. How can this SP be decent? Nothing about it is decent aside from 45s missions like Gold mentioned. Still those feel tacked on b/c they realized they stripped all the stealth away from Socom

The cutscenes and "huge hollywood set pieces" they kept talking about don't even look that great and do not add to the story.

To go from an open world type SP with multiple paths and objectives, to a linear "hold your hand" story mode with no actual story to care about is just ridiculous. There is really no denying the fact this is the worst Socom SP, which they were banking on making up for the fact that the MP is not very expansive nor addictive as old Socoms.

We'll hopefully Zipper takes the PSN outage as time to really crank out the patches.

I wonder what the exec. meeting was like when they thought a SP Socom was needed. Sony's SP go to game is Uncharted and could have been Killzone 3 (which came out too early).

Honestly, I am totally surprised that nobody has tried to make more co-op like MW2's Spec Ops. I was playing those with my friends all the time. Just give short 30 minute missions like that, release like 12 mission DLC packs, shit fucking trophy whores would have been on top of that shit like crazy. Socom SP should have just been co-op missions.

Navy SEALs do not have stories, they have missions. They execute with extreme precision. Who needs character development? It wasn't like Socom 4 has one in the first place.

[quote name='smiggity']The story is non-existent and character development is horrible. How can this SP be decent? Nothing about it is decent aside from 45s missions like Gold mentioned. Still those feel tacked on b/c they realized they stripped all the stealth away from Socom

The cutscenes and "huge hollywood set pieces" they kept talking about don't even look that great and do not add to the story.

To go from an open world type SP with multiple paths and objectives, to a linear "hold your hand" story mode with no actual story to care about is just ridiculous. There is really no denying the fact this is the worst Socom SP, which they were banking on making up for the fact that the MP is not very expansive nor addictive as old Socoms.[/QUOTE]Sounds like the rant I had when Final Fantasy 13 got released. Honestly I'd just enjoy it for what it is, easy access into the TPS genre without an insane amount of load times. The loading is phenomenal and makes it very accessible for me given the loading for Black Ops and Medal of Honor were quite long.

Uncharted is hands down a much better SP TPS experience. Socom is more nostalgia to us addict than anything else.

Still no other game makes our heart beat faster than Socom. DAMN YOU PSN GO LIVE! :D

[quote name='j-cart']We'll hopefully Zipper takes the PSN outage as time to really crank out the patches.

Honestly, I am totally surprised that nobody has tried to make more co-op like MW2's Spec Ops. I was playing those with my friends all the time. Just give short 30 minute missions like that, release like 12 mission DLC packs, shit fucking trophy whores would have been on top of that shit like crazy. Socom SP should have just been co-op missions.[/QUOTE]

A patch would be a pleasant surprise when psn goes live again and I totally agree on the single player/co-op missions. They could have totally made it work to have the whole thing be co-op missions with the option of playing them as single player with AI controlled characters. They could have spent the rest of the dev time on making multiplayer by refining and updating confrontation.

A patch would be the biggest surprise in the world and I think we'd all get super turned on, but I am 99% sure they wouldn't be doing that just because the PSN is down. They have all this time regardless of PSN being down or up, they should be working on that stuff. The fact they worked "so hard" on the singleplayer and didn't focus much on multiplayer, I'm less persuaded they want to -now- focus somehow more time on multiplayer.

These companies don't really do that....they always use the excuse when the NEXT iteration of a game comes out that they learned, not for the same product that they just released since that's already out. I know, I'm pretty skeptical and hard on these guys, but my MAG experience was not so great, and that really wasn't that long ago (and that was heavy multiplayer focused).

rant over.
Blog on PSN states it was an external intrusion and they shut the psn down for quality purposes on Wednesday night and will continue to.

What were the issues with MAG? When listening to the Zipper podcast it always sounded like the were making changes and patching that game even a year after release.

[quote name='Cigarl']What were the issues with MAG? When listening to the Zipper podcast it always sounded like the were making changes and patching that game even a year after release.[/QUOTE]

I didn't particular enjoy it. May have been less about the support for the game. Thing is, it was multiplayer focused, and with Socom 4, it's not. If they end up supporting the crap out of Socom 4 multiplayer, then obviously any worries/complaints I have are null.

i really liked my first month with mag. i consistently played with 4-5 cags on the same squad. great communication. we could defend our bases like fort knox. then i leveled out of the faction and moved onto the other factions. i wasn't the same. it sucked. the command abilities were great if youre team followed them.

but mag has enjoyed several patches throughout its lifespan that were suggested by fans.

back to socom, if you guys enjoyed then story so far, then you'll love the ending. har har.

[quote name='enufs8d']i really liked my first month with mag. i consistently played with 4-5 cags on the same squad. great communication. we could defend our bases like fort knox. then i leveled out of the faction and moved onto the other factions. i wasn't the same. it sucked. the command abilities were great if youre team followed them.

but mag has enjoyed several patches throughout its lifespan that were suggested by fans.

back to socom, if you guys enjoyed then story so far, then you'll love the ending. har har.[/QUOTE]

I guess after I get out and do some stuff today, I'll just go ahead and beat the singleplayer. Thanks to you, Wotcher, for the heads up on the ending. Now I REALLY wanna know (nah, but might as well find out what the laugh is for)

[quote name='enufs8d']i really liked my first month with mag. i consistently played with 4-5 cags on the same squad. great communication. we could defend our bases like fort knox. then i leveled out of the faction and moved onto the other factions. i wasn't the same. it sucked. the command abilities were great if youre team followed them. [/QUOTE]

This.

MAG was sooo much fun with a solid team experience. The only problem was there was no way to setup clan matches in MAG. That problem there nulled the whole clan experience, whic was really only a way to group people together.

Zipper also dropped the ball on linking squads up for queue. My clan had 16 guys and we knew of another clan that had 32. Getting us into a game was troublesome, but when we did, it was pure fun since we knew who was in our platoon. The MAG system works, they just needed to refine the party system.

Also if MAG was WWII themed, OMG I will never stop playing. The Nazi faction would be the most hated :D

PSN needs to go live, I have been too productive this week.

I just listened the the Zipper podcast and there was definitely good news. They hired one of the guys from the Socast that I guess is an extremely hardcore player. He's giving his feedback and opinions. The red dot is coming soon and it sounds like they are moving the camera more above the player rather than directly behind.

One thing that was disappointing is they said moving the games back to a 3 round multimap rotation isn't a real high priority. It seems to me that since it was in beta it should be a quick and easy fix. I really liked that in the beta as it gave each team a chance for redemption or to prove the first wasn't a fluke.

I guess this guy is dominating all of the in office games, which has to be pretty fun for him.

[quote name='Josh5890']So with PSN being down, how is everyone doing with their Socrack withdrawl?[/QUOTE]
You mean slocom? Socom withdrawls lol, go play a good game.

I've had SOCOM withdrawals since about 2005. Ever since S2 it's been downhill.

Zipper says, screw the hardcore fans, gimme gimme that Call of Duty money. Lets try to appeal to the masses, and basically be like all the other generic shooters, BUT in 3rd person. WHY THE fuck would you split the community in two and have hardcore/casual game modes? no lobbies? 2 primaries? all the other gay changes? REALLY? You appealed to the hardcore, tactical players, why not embrace it and stand out? Why spit in the faces of all the fans that made you who you are? Has there ever been another diehard community as far as shooters go then SOCOM?

Just gimme S2 in HD fuck dis shit.

[quote name='asthmatic']i think my favorite move is running into prone position.[/QUOTE]

Such a godlike move. Use the high grass for cover often.

Beat sp and got all the intel. That was not fun at all, the amount of time I spent behind cover and telling my retarded squadmates to stay back because they kept getting killed no matter where they went was getting really stale.

I don't think I'll plan on playing it on Elite difficulty. I'm not so crazy about trophies as I used to, but if it unlocks multiplayer stuff, I may have to beat it. I think I've done what it takes to get the majority of it now.

PSN still down and my guess is they aren't going to really be working on this full on til tomorrow anyway. New security upgrades they say. Right. When they don't even let us know what the problem was, this is any better excuse to implement something, that requires all of us not to be able to play the games we bought online or stream netflix.

Since everyone else was doing it, I played through the first mission of the SP but with the Sharp Shooter. So far the SP is OK but not great. I totally see the value in the much higher precision for shooting but the turning is gonna take a little getting used to with the Sharp Shooter. Also, it was killing my arms holding that gun up at all times since as soon as you try to put it down to rest your shoulders your character stairs at the ground. One thing I would change is the layout to free-look with the right stick when holding L2 instead of using the move to free-look. Maybe there is already this option but I didn't really look.

On another note, what shitty consumer relations Sony has by not keeping its customers in the loop with what is going on with the PSN. At the least they should be updating the Playstation Blog daily even if it's to say, "We're still fucked" otherwise it just looks like they're taking their time working regularly scheduled hours.

EDIT: Sony says they still don't know if user information and CCs were stolen
http://www.pcworld.com/article/226162/sony_yet_to_determine_scope_of_playstation_network_attack.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/226154/sony_rebuilding_playstation_network_after_attack.html
I guess I have to go to pcworld.com to get updates on PSN.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='HarryManback']I've had SOCOM withdrawals since about 2005. Ever since S2 it's been downhill.

Zipper says, screw the hardcore fans, gimme gimme that Call of Duty money. Lets try to appeal to the masses, and basically be like all the other generic shooters, BUT in 3rd person. WHY THE fuck would you split the community in two and have hardcore/casual game modes? no lobbies? 2 primaries? all the other gay changes? REALLY? You appealed to the hardcore, tactical players, why not embrace it and stand out? Why spit in the faces of all the fans that made you who you are? Has there ever been another diehard community as far as shooters go then SOCOM?

Just gimme S2 in HD fuck dis shit.[/QUOTE]

I feel the exact same way. Oh and the guy Zipper hired from the forums was HTK and all he did was kiss Zippers ass for 5000 posts until they offered him a job. The kid is a joke.

Also, Travis Steiner the lead designer on S4 is no longer at Zipper. Glad to see him go as he probably had a lot to do with S4 becoming a generic shooter with a tiny bit of Socom on top

[quote name='Mr. 420']You mean slocom? Socom withdrawls lol, go play a good game.[/QUOTE]

How old are you?
You still watch wrestling?
What is a "good" game? Dont even try this COD, BFBC b/c those are trash.
Why are you here?

Slocom is just dumb, the only thing they got right in S4 is the movement speed. I guess with a name like Mr. 420, we probably shouldn't expect any well articulated posts from you.

bread's done
Back