CAG Socom Thread-SONY SHUTTING DOWN SERVERS AUGUST 31 for S1-CA Tue&Sun10pmEST

[quote name='woodcan']Since everyone else was doing it, I played through the first mission of the SP but with the Sharp Shooter. So far the SP is OK but not great. I totally see the value in the much higher precision for shooting but the turning is gonna take a little getting used to with the Sharp Shooter. Also, it was killing my arms holding that gun up at all times since as soon as you try to put it down to rest your shoulders your character stairs at the ground. One thing I would change is the layout to free-look with the right stick when holding L2 instead of using the move to free-look. Maybe there is already this option but I didn't really look.

On another note, what shitty consumer relations Sony has by not keeping its customers in the loop with what is going on with the PSN. At the least they should be updating the Playstation Blog daily even if it's to say, "We're still fucked" otherwise it just looks like they're taking their time working regularly scheduled hours.

EDIT: Sony says they still don't know if user information and CCs were stolen
http://www.pcworld.com/article/226162/sony_yet_to_determine_scope_of_playstation_network_attack.html
http://www.pcworld.com/article/226154/sony_rebuilding_playstation_network_after_attack.html
I guess I have to go to pcworld.com to get updates on PSN.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for this. It's surprising that PC world updates better on a console and yet Sony can't get their act together.
IGN posted an article that generally sums up how alot of us feel:http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1163747p1.html

[quote name='smiggity']How old are you?
You still watch wrestling?
What is a "good" game? Dont even try this COD, BFBC b/c those are trash.
Why are you here?

Slocom is just dumb, the only thing they got right in S4 is the movement speed. I guess with a name like Mr. 420, we probably shouldn't expect any well articulated posts from you.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry about this kid, Smog. He doesn't contribute to conversation in any thread he posts (esp Socom) since it sounds like he just wants literal crack. He's probably high all the time and not contributing to society by being a waste of life.

I write some pretty retarded stuff but they're merely opinionated posts.
Forum trolls will be forum trolls.

Anyway, I hope the PSN gets up today. There definitely will be a network update when it does go live again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Sony really shit the bed with this one. Bright side, patch is nearly complete but they cant test it until PSN is back up. So this has pushed timeline back a week

On the bright side, I'm playing the single player which I never would have otherwise. Surprisingly enough, I'm actually enjoying it. Ready to run through on "Elite" now.

Yeah, that news has really soured me to Sony especially since I never left a credit card on file until it was required for my PS+ account that I just signed up for about 2 months ago. I pray nobody's credit card info was compromised or identity is fucked with.

Put it this way, the next time we all get together to play Socom, there will be a new patch out. Now that is being optimistic.

I have been on the fence about this. I thought confrontation was kind of meh. I do enjoy shooters but I am not the best at them. Is there anyway you guys could list pro's or cons of this for me? I tried getting into MAG but really couldn't are these 2 games similar? Also if I do end up getting it how hard is it to get into clans as I will probably need help?
Thanks

socom is a game I dont enjoy nearly as much when i play it solo. id say if you dont have friends to play with or wont join in cag sessions then pass.

my opinions are based on prior socoms as i havent been able to put any time into 4 yet. socom is unique, it feels different than everything else. maybe try and grab it used from gs so you can return it within that window if you dont care for it.

[quote name='j-cart']Put it this way, the next time we all get together to play Socom, there will be a new patch out. Now that is being optimistic.[/QUOTE]

I like your optimism. Yes, there will be updates to look forward to.
Oh, and being able to play again and have CAG clan nights, of course

i only need the multiplayer trophies now. is it true my weapon progession carries over into mp as well? i basically have every weapon maxed

[quote name='pLaYeRiTo']i only need the multiplayer trophies now. is it true my weapon progession carries over into mp as well? i basically have every weapon maxed[/QUOTE]

No. MP progression is specific to multiplayer

[quote name='bjstucker']I have been on the fence about this. I thought confrontation was kind of meh. I do enjoy shooters but I am not the best at them. Is there anyway you guys could list pro's or cons of this for me? I tried getting into MAG but really couldn't are these 2 games similar? Also if I do end up getting it how hard is it to get into clans as I will probably need help?
Thanks[/QUOTE]

The most basic generalization I can come up with is to think Counter-Strike in 3rd person with AWESOME maps. The CAG clan plays classic game type, which means we no respawn. Though MW2 3rd person mode plays exactly like Socom 4 (which no one likes).

Socom 4 still has its problems, but they are to be fixed "late" April, which means next time the PSN goes live again.

If you do get it, more than welcome to play with the CAG clan. We'll be playing this game until the next Socom comes out.

I'd love to get into some Socrack games with my fellow CAGs once it comes back online. Send me an add to: Minus_141 and put "CAG" in the message box. Looking forward to playing ya'll!

Hell yeah Minus we need more long time Socom addicts on CAG!

Sorry to rain on the parade, but it will be a week after the PSN goes up until we get the patch. I need this patch too, b/c as of now I really don't miss S4 very much.

[quote name='j-cart']The most basic generalization I can come up with is to think Counter-Strike in 3rd person with AWESOME maps. The CAG clan plays classic game type, which means we no respawn. Though MW2 3rd person mode plays exactly like Socom 4 (which no one likes).

Socom 4 still has its problems, but they are to be fixed "late" April, which means next time the PSN goes live again.

If you do get it, more than welcome to play with the CAG clan. We'll be playing this game until the next Socom comes out.[/QUOTE]

I did enjoy counterstrike quite a bit. Hmm my only problem is I work nights so I am usually not able to get online past 12am EST Monday - Fri . I know most of you guys play probably (like most nights atleast) 8pm-12am. If there are still games going on after midnight I might be game :).

[quote name='bjstucker']I did enjoy counterstrike quite a bit. Hmm my only problem is I work nights so I am usually not able to get online past 12am EST Monday - Fri . I know most of you guys play probably (like most nights atleast) 8pm-12am. If there are still games going on after midnight I might be game :).[/QUOTE]

there were times these guys would be playing until the wee hours man. I wish I could play that late.

[quote name='paz9x']there were times these guys would be playing until the wee hours man. I wish I could play that late.[/QUOTE]

Oh we will def be on until the wee hours of the night. If and when you get the game and ur added to the clan, just look up the clan list of who's online and hop in. There def will be at least one of us playin' (I might be one of them).

Speaking of counter-strike, anybody been playin' that? I've actually just loaded it back up since the PSN's been down. Turbo Gun game FTW

Been actually playing some Counter-Strike Source Beta. They have a recoil box to show you where your bullet could have a chance to hit. I need my run to prone and better maps.

[quote name='j-cart']Been actually playing some Counter-Strike Source Beta. They have a recoil box to show you where your bullet could have a chance to hit. I need my run to prone and better maps.[/QUOTE]

I'm installing that now. I didn't even notice that was even available....but yes...we need PSN up now. I think we've said this before, but I said it again. Needed.

if anyone wants to play some cs let me know, steam=psn
I think I'm the only person who is kind of happy that psn has been down, since I'm not a week behind everyone else in game terms.

Well this fucking blows.

Update: April 29, 2011 -- The PSN Outage that occurred on April 20 has delayed the deployment of all patches and DLC; our new dates reflect that. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Second Patch – SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs v1.03
Estimated Release: Mid/ Late May 2011
Repaired multiple issues related to camera collision
Added controller options for adjusting the dead zone and acceleration curve
Added option to activate a center dot for your targeting reticule if desired
Added option to turn in-game XP displays on or off
Removed Merits and Victory Dances in Clan Challenge Matches
"Ready" Clans are now filtered to the top of the Clan Challenge list
Added Clan Lobby Player Counts to Clan Challenge Invites
Made improvements to camera while in "Spectator" View
Increased Victory Dance animation duration
Multiplayer Gametypes are now organized by category
Added queues for "Classic Small Suppression. Classic Medley" and "Classic Small Medley"
More to confirm…

Third Patch – SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs v1.04
Estimated Release: June 2011
Activation of SOCOM 4 Party System
More to confirm…

Patch(es) TBD
Estimated Release: TBD
Mic system overhaul that improves UI, functionality
More to confirm…

http://forums.socom.com/t5/SOCOM-4-...il-Patch-Notes-UPD-April-29-2011/td-p/1726504

The PSN being down will cause a further delay in patch release date. Bring the pain FBI, bring the pain to those asshats that thought it was cool to hack the PSN.

Also, not a fan of victory dances being removed from Clan Challenges. The whole point is for me to dance on my enemy's dead body.

Told you guys. Zipper dropped the ball hardcore. Mics and party system not until June probably July? I wonder if they remember the fact they started online team play with Mics? No way to roll with friends and the Mics are horrible. /rant over

[quote name='smiggity']Told you guys. Zipper dropped the ball hardcore. Mics and party system not until June probably July? I wonder if they remember the fact they started online team play with Mics? No way to roll with friends and the Mics are horrible. /rant over[/QUOTE]

its total bullshit. there is no excuse for having fundamental problems like mic and party issues after having the beta. especially when theyre going to take potentially 2 months to fix.

[quote name='smiggity']Told you guys. Zipper dropped the ball hardcore. Mics and party system not until June probably July? I wonder if they remember the fact they started online team play with Mics? No way to roll with friends and the Mics are horrible. /rant over[/QUOTE]

*sigh* Yeah... I know I got the game for 25 dollars (TRU buy one get one 50% off) but I still feel I got robbed.

Oh, and I don't see how they can really blame the intrusion on their piss poor work... I played SOCOM 4 for the first time after the outage and it wanted me to patch (and it installed the patch just fine) so the patches can obviously pushed whenever they want them to be.

Sony's QA for patches is pretty extensive (look at the Coldfront DLC and how long that took).

Zipper did drop the ball on making this game appeal to the general public and make a generic shooter for their Sharpshooter. Socom was simple, but never generic. Who really wants CoD in 3rd person? Nobody. Should have made Socom a niche, the purest form of Socom for Socomers.

Zipper COULD have alleviated all of this by making a solid Socom MP. But the Mp game was just SP ported over. it might not be purely Zipper's fault, I believe that someone apart of Sony was telling Zipper to make a game that played like CoD in 3rd person and make it possible to use the PS Move with. Zipper could have tried to stick to their roots a bit more though.

The lack of US Navy SEAL support also says something else. Why they needed a story in singleplayer is still mind boggling for me. Should have just made a mission where sea pirates captured a vessel and took the captain hostage. Rescue mission behind enemy lines where a young female soldier is being held hostage in an enemy hospital (sure that story was media fire, but cool mission). Even better, meet up with Rangers to hold a position until the convey arrives and then protect the convey while on foot. The list goes on. The point is that a streamlined story was not what Socom needed. Spec Ops style missions with "Oracle" giving you the details would have been enough. Add in the co-op and a timer/points and people would have been like "this is pretty cool, I get to play out scenarios I've seen and heard before." Put in that "Little Big Planet" customization and holy crap we could have endless hours of co-op in any time of scenario.

MP is suffering. Socom is survived always by its core fans, not the casual. Zipper saw what happened with Confrontation and learn nothing from it. Socom in the HD generation is apart of the stink pile of gaming. However Socom is SoCrack and I need my fix. Just please Zipper stop fucking me in the ass for supporting you.

Well...that was quite an uninformative Sony conference. In summary, password reset after system patch, some free items, 30 days of playstation plus free for all, PSN will be up first, other services slowly coming back up in phases.
Lovely. When? Within the month...people speculating this week...we'll be waiting and finding out, I guess.

Cool, can you say more Spyro the Dragon? Well, anyways, I just want PSN to be back up. Single player in MK is the only thing keeping me from going apeshit.

Hell I still have not even bought a new PS3 yet. Ive been playing my PSP for the first time in two years. Walmart is giving out Tiger Woods with purchase of a slim so I may grab it this week

[quote name='nfs3freak']Well...that was quite an uninformative Sony conference. In summary, password reset after system patch, some free items, 30 days of playstation plus free for all, PSN will be up first, other services slowly coming back up in phases.
Lovely. When? Within the month...people speculating this week...we'll be waiting and finding out, I guess.[/QUOTE]

It will be back within this week. A lot of what they said was lost in translation (hah!) but it was mainly about what happened, what is going to happen next and how they will secure their network.

Need my SoCrack.

Entering this thread as a lurker that really has minimal familiarity to the SOCOM franchise (have all/most of the games but haven't played any of them) forgive me for saying that I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea for Zipper to try and branch out to capture some of the casual audience. That being said however I do believe them doing it at the cost of the "main-line" franchise is a bad idea.

Between themselves and Slant Six (assuming that Slant Six or somebody else will also continue doing SOCOM games) that they had the good opportunity to keep the mainline series the way the hardcore SOCOM fans like it while also spinning off a more story driven casual friendly(er) game to try and appeal to a larger general audience. I mean if Killzone is Sony's Halo , then the spinoff SOCOM could be Sony's Gears of War? (or would that be Uncharted?). I dunno maybe I'm just talking out of my ass here , when I put this post together at lunch time it sounded really good in my head , but now that I'm actually typing it out it doesn't sound nearly as good.:whistle2:(

That all being said (and I kinda already sense the answer before I even ask the question) would SOCOM 4 be a good entry point in the series for someone who's never really messed with the series before? If not then maybe one of the PSP games? Confrontation?

GUYS, a player of SOCOM 4 was so pissed due to PSN being down, he disgused himself as a NAVY SEAL and killed OSAMA BIN LADEN...... PLATINUM TROPHY UNLOCKED!

[quote name='StarKnightX'] I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea for Zipper to try and branch out to capture some of the casual audience. [/QUOTE]

MAG much?

damn chung! i finally beat elite despite him. if i see one of guys as chung, im going out of my way to kill you. hes always gets himself. when one member goes down, the rest of your team quickly follows. i also hated the heavies that need sniper riffle headshots to bring down and the really spawn camps you. then you need to block off large swaths of time because you can't save during the middle of a mission. argh!

[quote name='StarKnightX']

That all being said (and I kinda already sense the answer before I even ask the question) would SOCOM 4 be a good entry point in the series for someone who's never really messed with the series before? If not then maybe one of the PSP games? Confrontation?[/QUOTE]

The psp games are nothing like S4 or Confrontation. They're okay for a on the go socrack fix, but the multiplayer isn't a Socom experience. When the fixes come out for this game it will continue to get better. Confrontation was not only the first shooter that I got into it was also the first online game I've played with any regularity, and socrack it is. At this point I'd stay away from confrontation and pick Socom 4 up if you're thinking it is something you may enjoy. The guys in this forum are fun and supportive to play with. While S4 doesn't have the true team feel that confrontation had, I'm hopefull it will come when things like the mic fix and some new play modes are released.

[quote name='GTmaster39']MAG much?[/QUOTE]

I had actually thought of tying or trying to tie MAG in there somehow but wasn't entirely sure how.

[quote name='Cigarl']The psp games are nothing like S4 or Confrontation. They're okay for a on the go socrack fix, but the multiplayer isn't a Socom experience. When the fixes come out for this game it will continue to get better. Confrontation was not only the first shooter that I got into it was also the first online game I've played with any regularity, and socrack it is. At this point I'd stay away from confrontation and pick Socom 4 up if you're thinking it is something you may enjoy. The guys in this forum are fun and supportive to play with. While S4 doesn't have the true team feel that confrontation had, I'm hopefull it will come when things like the mic fix and some new play modes are released.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. Once the PSN comes back up I guess I'll give it a whirl.

[quote name='StarKnightX']Entering this thread as a lurker that really has minimal familiarity to the SOCOM franchise (have all/most of the games but haven't played any of them) forgive me for saying that I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea for Zipper to try and branch out to capture some of the casual audience. That being said however I do believe them doing it at the cost of the "main-line" franchise is a bad idea.

Between themselves and Slant Six (assuming that Slant Six or somebody else will also continue doing SOCOM games) that they had the good opportunity to keep the mainline series the way the hardcore SOCOM fans like it while also spinning off a more story driven casual friendly(er) game to try and appeal to a larger general audience. I mean if Killzone is Sony's Halo , then the spinoff SOCOM could be Sony's Gears of War? (or would that be Uncharted?). I dunno maybe I'm just talking out of my ass here , when I put this post together at lunch time it sounded really good in my head , but now that I'm actually typing it out it doesn't sound nearly as good.:whistle2:(

That all being said (and I kinda already sense the answer before I even ask the question) would SOCOM 4 be a good entry point in the series for someone who's never really messed with the series before? If not then maybe one of the PSP games? Confrontation?[/QUOTE]

Start with Socom 4. If you play the old ones and then come to the new one it makes S4 feel completely dumbed down and stripped of all its features.

If Confrontation woulod have been the game it was intended to be, with DLC each month and map packs every 3 months, it would have been great. However the game was so bad at launch they needed 8 months to fix the game, and we end up with only 1 DLC pack. Its a shame really b/c it was as close to the old Socoms as we will get until Socom:Legacy HD

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']GUYS, a player of SOCOM 4 was so pissed due to PSN being down, he disgused himself as a NAVY SEAL and killed OSAMA BIN LADEN...... PLATINUM TROPHY UNLOCKED![/QUOTE]

:rofl::rofl::rofl: It was either Streetmarine or SukMyTurban lol

[quote name='StarKnightX']I had actually thought of tying or trying to tie MAG in there somehow but wasn't entirely sure how.

Thanks for the advice. Once the PSN comes back up I guess I'll give it a whirl.[/QUOTE]

S4 is basically MAG in 3rd person with a tiny sprinkle of Socom. To make it clear, I know I am hating on S4 all over but its not that bad and when playing with the Clan it does actually fool me into thinking Im playing a Socom. Just make sure you stick to the Classic mode;)

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']GUYS, a player of SOCOM 4 was so pissed due to PSN being down, he disgused himself as a NAVY SEAL and killed OSAMA BIN LADEN...... PLATINUM TROPHY UNLOCKED![/QUOTE]

And that's why you never let the PSN get hacked!

*Arrested Development reference

[quote name='smiggity']Start with Socom 4. If you play the old ones and then come to the new one it makes S4 feel completely dumbed down and stripped of all its features.

S4 is basically MAG in 3rd person with a tiny sprinkle of Socom. To make it clear, I know I am hating on S4 all over but its not that bad and when playing with the Clan it does actually fool me into thinking Im playing a Socom. Just make sure you stick to the Classic mode;)[/QUOTE]

I 100% agree.
I'd stick with classic mode as well.

I gotta admit, I wish they bring back (and this is all I played during S2) BREACH. SO much strategy & com involved.

[quote name='j-cart']Socom TOMORROW, bet on it.[/QUOTE]

Maybe single player but my magic eight ball says "Outlook not so good..."

Not trying to hate... but Sony hasn't really hit any of their target dates so I don't see how this will be different.

Anyone want to venture a guess when the PSN Store comes up so I can redeem my SOCOM 4 Pro voucher?

I'm just expecting thursday so I don't dissappoint myself on Tuesday or Wednesday. lol

You guys have a CAG Clan on Socom 4 already?

bread's done
Back