CAG Socom Thread-SONY SHUTTING DOWN SERVERS AUGUST 31 for S1-CA Tue&Sun10pmEST

[quote name='smiggity']Just Abandoned from Socom1. Its awesome in HD and the best map in S4[/QUOTE]Wasn't that the preordered bonus for Gamestop?

I know they had a map and not just the shotgun...

but I got to ask... Why have a map be the preorder bonus for a MP game? You just limited your play base for that map astronomically.

[quote name='smiggity']Just Abandoned from Socom1. Its awesome in HD and the best map in S4

Confrontation has Crossroads, Frostfire, Desert Glory, and I cant remember the winter maps. There are 2 more[/QUOTE]

ah cool. Wished they bring back a bit more for Socom 4. Loved all the Breach maps.

Im hoping for some Breach maps to return as well, although I feel they should just keep S4 with all new content and then release Socom Legacy HD for those of us that like the original formula.

Anyways Zippers dev accounts have been playing S4 online this week! Im thinking we will be up and running on Monday

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']My uncle gets sick from FPS. Lucky, I don't anymore. The ones released around the time of the first graphic accelerators on PC use to bug me a bit I outgrew it.

That said nothing worse than getting sick from a poor camera angle. Enslaved made me wish it came with a barf bag.

That going to be for the store. No way online MP is going to take that long.[/QUOTE]

All the Half-Life series makes me wanna hurl. The Matrix Trilogy on PS2, and some other weirdo games...
COD and it's fast-paced self is fine. Must be the lighting or something. I dunno.

[quote name='Average Gamer']All the Half-Life series makes me wanna hurl.[/QUOTE]

I recently picked up Half-Life for the PS2 and used the 2D->3D conversion on my television and talk about hurling...never have I played anything that has made me as sick as that.

For anyone else who thought it would be nice to play it like that...it isn't.

Do you guys think the Abandoned map will be made available later?

Whenever PSN goes back up, anyone want to do a coop run? So far I have j-cart down. So i guess there's 3 more spots avail.

Let's suffer together!

[quote name='option.iv']Whenever PSN goes back up, anyone want to do a coop run? So far I have j-cart down. So i guess there's 3 more spots avail.

Let's suffer together![/QUOTE]

Only after a long period of classic mode.

man, I might as well open my S4. It's still shrink wrapped from Amazon. Get some practice in. =P Hopefully they won't drop the price anytime soon.

It sold around 300k in its first week. I am extremely happy it is selling like shit. This way Zipper will wake up and realize that S4 is barely Socom, and will go back to the original formula that made them successful. I should be frothing at the mouth to play S4, but I never even think about it. Thats how bad it fell off

Popped it in for some SP today. Kind of bland but it's not the worst thing I've ever played. It's more so making me want to hook my PS2 up and pop in some Socom II, used to love that campiagn for some reason. Wish they would have kept it simple and to the socom roots.. But I also feel I'm just a drop in the bucket of people that feel the same way haha. (Just talking about SP.. obviously haven't had a chance to play multiplayer yet)

[quote name='smiggity']It sold around 300k in its first week. I am extremely happy it is selling like shit. This way Zipper will wake up and realize that S4 is barely Socom, and will go back to the original formula that made them successful. I should be frothing at the mouth to play S4, but I never even think about it. Thats how bad it fell off[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I don't think that terrible sales will "inspire" Zipper to make another Socom. It will probably be another studio that makes the next Socom.

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']It's certainly up for debate as to why but SOCOM 4 didn't even make the top ten list for most games sold in the month of April.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/12/april-npd-mortal-kombat-wins-for-outworld-xbox-is-top-console/

I know that PSN being down has hurt it, no doubt about it, but I don't think its done enough damage to explain away its not breaking the top ten.

Bad news indeed.[/QUOTE]

PSN is probably a big part of it. I know I'd have the game by now if PSN was up.

[quote name='Josh5890']Unfortunately, I don't think that terrible sales will "inspire" Zipper to make another Socom. It will probably be another studio that makes the next Socom.[/QUOTE]

Either way I doubt Zipper would be making Socom 2HD or Legacy so thats fine. It seems like HD remakes get made by studios other than the games creators. I imagine Zipper moves on to MAG2 now or something else just as lame.

And I am sure the PSN outage has hurt it some, but most Socom fans had the game before the PSN went down.

PSN being down has nothing to do with Socom 4's performance. Zipper needs to understand that. Make the game fans want, not what you think is going to cater to people.

Haha me? There are very few people I've played with already that are as bad as Chung. You pretty much gotta not know how to play to be that bad.

I am posting this to hopefully get some advice on the Socom 4 FDE and anyone's opinions on the Playstation Move, whether it is worth having, and the highest amount one should pay to pick it up.
How responsive is the Playstation Move?
Can you use it while sitting down without it detracting from the experience?
Do you actually feel like you are shooting with the sharpshooter?
What shooters, other than KZ3 and Socom 4, work with it?
Would someone who likes the classic controller based gaming experience enjoy using the Move/Sharpshooter?

I really want to pick up Socom 4 as I have been a fan of the series since the second. I want to pick up the FDE because it is just such an enticing deal and it looks so fun to play shooters with the sharpshooter. I am definately getting the game but I would like to know if the Move with the sharpshooter makes it more fun or easier to play. I know a lot of these questions don't apply to Socom but it will be extremely helpful in making my decision. Thanks a bunch to anyone who responds.

What is SOCOM Legacy / what are the odds of a SOCOM II Remake? I've heard talk of both of these, but not sure if they're being planned or if it's just a pipe dream of long time fans.

[quote name='Cheap_Bastard']

I am posting this to hopefully get some advice on the Socom 4 FDE and anyone's opinions on the Playstation Move, whether it is worth having, and the highest amount one should pay to pick it up.
How responsive is the Playstation Move?
Can you use it while sitting down without it detracting from the experience?
Do you actually feel like you are shooting with the sharpshooter?
What shooters, other than KZ3 and Socom 4, work with it?
Would someone who likes the classic controller based gaming experience enjoy using the Move/Sharpshooter?

I really want to pick up Socom 4 as I have been a fan of the series since the second. I want to pick up the FDE because it is just such an enticing deal and it looks so fun to play shooters with the sharpshooter. I am definately getting the game but I would like to know if the Move with the sharpshooter makes it more fun or easier to play. I know a lot of these questions don't apply to Socom but it will be extremely helpful in making my decision. Thanks a bunch to anyone who responds.[/QUOTE]

I like using the move controller. You can use it while sitting down, but it helps to have a couple pillows or something under your arm to keep your wrist from getting tired. $I have had some issues with the calibration getting off during game play, but I'm not sure if it is from my distance I'm away from the camera (12' or so) or caused by some other problem. Because of that I have found the sharpshooter to be unusable as I will be aiming at the wall to get the crosshairs on the middle I the screen. $The sharpshooter also gets difficult to hold in the same position or such a long period. Since PSN has been down so long I have not tried it with Killzone, but is totally blows with Tiger Woods 12. The chipping and putting are so much easier with a standard controller.$

[quote name='MillerTime2523']What is SOCOM Legacy / what are the odds of a SOCOM II Remake? I've heard talk of both of these, but not sure if they're being planned or if it's just a pipe dream of long time fans.[/QUOTE]

It might be a pipe dream but hell its gotta happen right? If Ratchet and Clank and Sly Cooper can get HD remakes why not one of Sonys biggest franchises. The Socom Legacy comes from this post by dunham,

Personally speaking, ie, not representing the company in an official manner whatsoever -- yes, I think it would be cool to do an HD revamp, but not necessarily SOCOM II. The way I'd want to see it would be sort of an "SOCOM Legacy" deal, where we'd drop SP altogether, take all the greatest maps from S1 through SC and update them, while taking the S1/S2 HUD/ gameplay as the base and go from there.

But again, that's just me. There are a ton of other factors involved in a game like that, or even a straight remake happening, though. Will SOCOM 4 be successful, for instance? If it does really well, then the demand for SOCOM is high and the chances of more SOCOM sequels and spin-offs increase. You also have the business side of things independant of that -- how many copies would it sell? How much would cost to develop? How long would it take? By the time you were finished, would the demand still be there, or would the market be tired out on old-school remakes by then? Would it take away from future projects that aren't remakes, etc, etc.

As a business, Sony/ Zipper considers a lot of things, but the questions I listed above are just a handful of the "what if" questions that surround the creation of any game or genre.

Again, this all my personal view. Officially we have no plans to do a SOCOM remake of any kind right now. At the moment, we're all about SOCOM 4.
--------------------
Jeremy Dunham
Sr. Community Manager, Zipper Interactive
--------------------

I believe by Christmas we will hear about Socom2HD or Socom Legacy. And ill be waiting with my 60bucks in hand. Also check the PS Share blog, S2HD is in the top 10 on there, with things like Cross Game Chat and other features.

[quote name='j-cart']PSN being down has nothing to do with Socom 4's performance. Zipper needs to understand that. Make the game fans want, not what you think is going to cater to people.[/QUOTE]

What really upsets me is that Zipper made this game for the casual CallOfDuty players of the world. When obviously those casuals never bought S4, now the real Socom fans are stuck with some Frankenstein of a game that is going to take months to feel like the Socom we all know and love

[quote name='smiggity']And I am sure the PSN outage has hurt it some, but most Socom fans had the game before the PSN went down.[/QUOTE]And you have to consider the 15 dollar SOCOM pro.

I've never seen an 'EA pass' (aka give us some money for buying this game used or you don't get the whole thing) at 15 dollars... Sony/Zipper knew the game wasn't going to sale well... and/or would have some tough resistance from those SOCOM fans who would just buy it used as protest.

[quote name='smiggity']There are a ton of other factors involved in a game like that, or even a straight remake happening, though. Will SOCOM 4 be successful, for instance? If it does really well, then the demand for SOCOM is high and the chances of more SOCOM sequels and spin-offs increase.[/QUOTE]
Do you think that the game practically bombed is going to help or hurt the odds of this actually happening? That sounds insanely awesome though.

Side note, were you guys being serious about firing up some S2 again? :lol:

[quote name='smiggity']What really upsets me is that Zipper made this game for the casual CallOfDuty players of the world. When obviously those casuals never bought S4, now the real Socom fans are stuck with some Frankenstein of a game that is going to take months to feel like the Socom we all know and love[/QUOTE]
MW2 in Third Person is more fun than fighting some of the cover controls in S4. It's not a casual CoD clone, it plays more like Kill Switch than CoD. The fact that the button prompts sometimes prevent you from taking the action you want is really annoying. It's not a clear crossover even if the control schemes are somewhat similar, just because R3 = Melee doesn't make it a "casual CoD clone" because it isn't.

[quote name='Mad39er']MW2 in Third Person is more fun than fighting some of the cover controls in S4. It's not a casual CoD clone, it plays more like Kill Switch than CoD. The fact that the button prompts sometimes prevent you from taking the action you want is really annoying. It's not a clear crossover even if the control schemes are somewhat similar, just because R3 = Melee doesn't make it a "casual CoD clone" because it isn't.[/QUOTE]

They have admitted numerous times that S4 was an attempt to reach the "broader" market aka CallofDuty casual players. It has numerous features taken directly from the casual style of CallOfDuty. Ranked respawn has never been in a Socom game before. Airstrikes, XP system, Modding guns, Horrible Aim Down Sights L1 gunfights the list goes on. Those were all added to attract the COD 1billion dollar casual market, and it was a horrible attempt. I have not even used the cover for more than 2 minutes total, fact is it shouldnt even be in the game, so I cant comment on why you struggle with it. It is an attempt at a Casual Cod Clone, and never did I mention R3 melee, which was introduced in Socom Confrontation and has no effect on Gameplay at all.

If only they didn't try to reach out to the Call of Duty crowd. For god's sakes, another CoD is coming out this year. If they made Socom 4 solid for what they've known throughout passed Socoms and just improving on it, holy hell they'd have a good game AND people would love it because it's its own game. Too many games take from CoD or try to mimic it to get that audience/get the sales. It's less about quality, more about getting quantity. Of course sales matter, but honestly, sales stay strong if it's a well made game all around, not because it's like some other game.

[quote name='smiggity']They have admitted numerous times that S4 was an attempt to reach the "broader" market aka CallofDuty casual players. It has numerous features taken directly from the casual style of CallOfDuty. Ranked respawn has never been in a Socom game before. Airstrikes, XP system, Modding guns, Horrible Aim Down Sights L1 gunfights the list goes on. Those were all added to attract the COD 1billion dollar casual market, and it was a horrible attempt. I have not even used the cover for more than 2 minutes total, fact is it shouldnt even be in the game, so I cant comment on why you struggle with it. It is an attempt at a Casual Cod Clone, and never did I mention R3 melee, which was introduced in Socom Confrontation and has no effect on Gameplay at all.[/QUOTE]
You can't escape modding guns, it's been in all the major releases in recent memory. Most games have taken their SP components into MP, so the Airstrikes is not entirely unexpected. Everybody is using an XP system, it's overall more rewarding than not, this goes along with a ranking system. If they broke down respawn ranking and classic ranking separately I think you'd wholly be more satisfied with the end result. If the only sense of achievement in Socom 4 were to be winning the round, I doubt it'd last long in this ADD age of video gaming and I think the developer understands that much.

Could they have done better? Yep. Does the PSN being down help them? No. You can't really get legitimate feedback from users who can't use the service and who won't let the experience "bed in" fully in the short amount of time played. You're so 'OMGTHESKYISFALLING' every single Socom loving day of the week it's obnoxious. 9 out of 10 threads are idle pending the PSN going up, this thread is full of S4 bashing every day and you can't even play the online component.

Dang...Mad39er...r u mad bro? jk jk. You're right that there's a ton of criticism already and we can't even get online to play/give a ton of feedback on more. As sad as this sounds, a lot of us have actually put a ton of time into the game online from the time it came out to when the PSN went down (more than some others in the forum, and I'm sure we aren't exactly proud of that fact). People are posting their insights, I hope that's what forums can continue to be that way, even if it is blatant bitching or criticism....like this...but I'm just saying it without trying to be rude. My bad if I am.

Anyway, new System software update is up (I haven't turned on my ps3 yet to see if it's actually available) according to the playstation blog to 3.61. Anybody going ahead and going to update right away? I guess there's no point in not doing it.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/14/ps3-system-software-update/

I was in my local Target today and they have MW, MW2, World at War and Black Ops, but no Socom 4 and I don't think it was because they are flying off the shelf. Pretty sad.

as of May 14th at 11:00pm est.

5719595699_b65ed8a64c_z.jpg

bread's done
Back