CAG Star Trek Online Fleet/game discussion thread

[quote name='SuperJedi']So let me get this straight, I am confused. Pre-order Bonuses came with the game itself, so Pre-order beta key?

When I put my code (beta key) in NO where does it mention I got a preorder bonus anywhere![/QUOTE]
The pre-order bonuses are packed in with the retail game, or tied to the retail key in the box somehow. I'm not sure if they will be a separate code or if it will just be tied with the actual retail key.

They split the codes. You have a separate pre-order code from the "goodies" code (they will call this the retail code) that comes inside the box. Don't get screwed over on ebay by those crooks. I expect my boxes/codes tomorrow for my goodies.

I hate energy drinks - I ended up playing batman: AA till about 30 minutes ago - no sleep at all since I logged out of STO last night.

Anyone want to buy 40 cans of zero carb rockstar? LOL

Alright so all that Pre-order BS at Target/Wal-mart/Best Buy is useless. If you buy the game there at whichever of these retails stores tomorrow, you get their pre-order bonus anyway, without an actual need to pre-order there at all?

Correct. The "pre-order" bonus is simply the Open Beta / Head Start access. The actual retailer bonuses (as far as I know) are tied to the registration keys. They could do something where only pre-orders have a special retailer-exclusive key, and the rest are just standard keys.

It's kinda confusing but it's all speculation at this point.

[quote name='SuperJedi']Alright so all that Pre-order BS at Target/Wal-mart/Best Buy is useless. If you buy the game there at whichever of these retails stores tomorrow, you get their pre-order bonus anyway, without an actual need to pre-order there at all?[/QUOTE]
Not necessarily. They may have separate codes (or limited quantities) exclusively for pre-order customers. You might be able to snag the "pre-order" goodies just picking it up on launch, but there's no guarantee.

Where stores like Wal-mart are concerned, the pre-order was online only. So the retail stores may not have the codes with their pre-order bonus.

I'd say if the bonus is important to you, pre-order. Don't assume you'll just get the bonus if you wait until launch to pick it up.

The only retail bonus I really cared about was the Borg Bridge Officer. But I suppose it's not too big of a deal, even though I've been gipped out of every Bridge Officer rewarded in the game so far.

I'm gonna bitch about this some more. Every ticket I've submitted about the Bridge Officers, they said they "Weren't replacing missing rewards at this time". I think that's messed up! Can't they just reset the quests for everyone affected and let us get our BOffs?!

I'm lost a little on your complaint matthewrex. I've been able to get the rewards after doing the quest once or twice more. Are you saying that isn't working for you? My bridge is full and I've got an extra waiting. I guess you do want to have as many officers as possible, and maybe I've been ripped off of ones I should have gotten?
Also, in my case, it always seems that it doesn't acknowledge I completed the quest if I don't get a reward I expected. Are you saying it isn't giving you rewards even if it says you completed the quest?

Sorry, but I have no intention of wading through the official forums for this so a summary would be appreciated.

My guess from my experience is that the quests rewards might be broke if you do them as a group? I did that one rescue mission where you fight the Orions numerous times but never got acknowledged I completed it until I did it solo.

Basically, for a lot of people, Bridge Officer rewards are completely broken. On missions that reward a BO, or when I level up and choose to requisition a new BO, when I accept the reward I receive the merits but no BO. I've had four separate instances where I've accepted BOs as rewards and it just didn't appear in my assignments tab. I've had to purchase every BO from the Personnel section of Starbase.

Every BO reward has been special green-leveled BOs. I've not received any of them. So none of my BOs are green. They're all standard because I've had to spend my merit points to even have Bridge officers on my ship.

It's bullshit, and Cryptic knows about the error but has done nothing to address it on the forums or anything else, much like any other issues. I am so sick of them being tight lipped and offering no solutions for critical errors. An MMOs entire backbone is based on a reward system. If it's broken, why bother?

I've submitted a ticket each time it's happened with detailed information, and the replies I've gotten are all copied and pasted saying "They're aware of the issue, no they're not planning on replacements, and an MMO is a constantly changing thing…". Blah blah blah. It's freaking ridiculous.

Yeah, I did a mission w/a BO reward last night, but it wasn't available to join. On the other hand, I didn't have any slots left on my ship, so maybe they are on standby until I get Lt. Commander and a bigger wessel? They should be available to swap w/existing officers though.

Anyways, just two more levels until next ship...my co-workers' ships are pretty cool. I want to go there!

[quote name='matthewrex']Basically, for a lot of people, Bridge Officer rewards are completely broken. On missions that reward a BO, or when I level up and choose to requisition a new BO, when I accept the reward I receive the merits but no BO. I've had four separate instances where I've accepted BOs as rewards and it just didn't appear in my assignments tab. I've had to purchase every BO from the Personnel section of Starbase.

Every BO reward has been special green-leveled BOs. I've not received any of them. So none of my BOs are green. They're all standard because I've had to spend my merit points to even have Bridge officers on my ship.

It's bullshit, and Cryptic knows about the error but has done nothing to address it on the forums or anything else, much like any other issues. I am so sick of them being tight lipped and offering no solutions for critical errors. An MMOs entire backbone is based on a reward system. If it's broken, why bother?

I've submitted a ticket each time it's happened with detailed information, and the replies I've gotten are all copied and pasted saying "They're aware of the issue, no they're not planning on replacements, and an MMO is a constantly changing thing…". Blah blah blah. It's freaking ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
So there's no word of fix of this not happening for players on an ongoing basis? Part of me might want to hold off getting too far in the game when I start tomorrow if this hasn't been fixed.

[quote name='FatGamer']my amazon order shipped, will have it tomorrow morning. Yippeee![/QUOTE]

I ordered this Nov. 10 from Amazon, wonder why mine is still pending?

Does anyone want some del taco cup codes? I have at least 1, maybe more. PM me.

*EDIT
All codes have been given out.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='matthewrex']Basically, for a lot of people, Bridge Officer rewards are completely broken. On missions that reward a BO, or when I level up and choose to requisition a new BO, when I accept the reward I receive the merits but no BO. I've had four separate instances where I've accepted BOs as rewards and it just didn't appear in my assignments tab. I've had to purchase every BO from the Personnel section of Starbase.

Every BO reward has been special green-leveled BOs. I've not received any of them. So none of my BOs are green. They're all standard because I've had to spend my merit points to even have Bridge officers on my ship.[/QUOTE]
This is what's been happening to me too. None of the early missions that give you BOs gave me BOs, so I had to go buy them, then spend more merits to train them with the skills I need. Augh. I think I might just reroll after they smooth this out so I can have a character that didn't need to spend all these resources.

According to Cryptic, they are fixing the mission reward issue in this latest patch (why server is down I guess, sucks for EST people). What's not clear is how they intend to give back lost rewards. Couldn't get any answers from them. Crossing my fingers for when the server goes back up.

Good question. I'm wondering what time Steam is going to update. I assume it's 12am (and there's some midnight launches to sell the game going on tonight), but the current launcher message says the game is "Live" as of today even though the official launch is Feb 2nd 10am? Color me confused. >_<

I do hope the server can handle it tomorrow/tonight. I'm pretty close to Lt. Comm., and it would suck for there to be a huge outage right before I can get my Tier 2 ship. :p

I've seen many graphical glitches/weirdness in my short time with the game, but man that's disgusting.

Hahaha!

Ok, so, color me confused! :(

I just 'pre-ordered' the game last night at the last possible moment. I've never played an MMO, and the last (and only) computer game I ever played (except for Plants vs Zombies) was Counterstrike well over 10 years ago! :eek: I have no idea why I bought this, but I guess it was impulse! I've been reading up on it everywhere over the last several hours, and it seems like it will be a ton of fun (I LOVE ME2, and other longer RPG's). I hate getting to the end and having it 'over', only to spend more money on a new game that will be over all-too-soon, so I think this could be good! On a different note, I won't enjoy spending the money monthly, but it seems to just be something that will have to be done! ;)

I was talking to a friend I play online with (XBox) and he was telling me about Steam before, but this all seems pretty confusing. I don't even have a mouse/keyboard yet! (I have a laptop that I'm told has the specs that will play this game fine, though). So, any suggestions on what a good (but inexpensive/cheap/on sale) mouse/keyboard might be?

I guess it's too late to get in on the lifetime ... I ordered the game around 11:50pm PST (last minute ... literally), so I believe it's too late to get the discounted year membership/lifetime membership, etc.

How does the Steam fleet thing work? How complicated is it to learn MMO's (starting from NO computer gaming background)? And how patient are the CAG's in the fleet with noobs? :)

Sorry for all the questions ... just read through 24 pages of commentary, and now I feel REALLY confused and very daunted by this :x !

Oh, and is the Del Taco promotion still going on? Because I believe I actually have some of those here (in CO), and was going to see if I could pick some up if still there!

So that's why I didn't receive my 2 bridge officers yesterday. Thought that was kinda odd, maybe that I needed to go pick them up or something. I'm only level 3 so far so I got lots of time to collect stuff. Haven't spent points on anything just yet.

And good news, just ordered a new desktop. Should be built by the 9th and shipped to me soon after. :bouncy: Not a super high-end rig but a solid upgrade from my current machine.

Well I just logged into the servers and they don't appear to have been hammered yet. Of course I think they just turned them back on from a scheduled maintenance.

I think those screen shots look differently based on the angle you are using for your character. I've seen the same thing but the angle I keep my character makes it look like something is attacking you from the ground. However, those are funnier.

[quote name='Shan82']Ok, so, color me confused! :(

I just 'pre-ordered' the game last night at the last possible moment. I've never played an MMO, and the last (and only) computer game I ever played (except for Plants vs Zombies) was Counterstrike well over 10 years ago! :eek: I have no idea why I bought this, but I guess it was impulse! I've been reading up on it everywhere over the last several hours, and it seems like it will be a ton of fun (I LOVE ME2, and other longer RPG's). I hate getting to the end and having it 'over', only to spend more money on a new game that will be over all-too-soon, so I think this could be good! On a different note, I won't enjoy spending the money monthly, but it seems to just be something that will have to be done! ;)

I was talking to a friend I play online with (XBox) and he was telling me about Steam before, but this all seems pretty confusing. I don't even have a mouse/keyboard yet! (I have a laptop that I'm told has the specs that will play this game fine, though). So, any suggestions on what a good (but inexpensive/cheap/on sale) mouse/keyboard might be?

I guess it's too late to get in on the lifetime ... I ordered the game around 11:50pm PST (last minute ... literally), so I believe it's too late to get the discounted year membership/lifetime membership, etc.

How does the Steam fleet thing work? How complicated is it to learn MMO's (starting from NO computer gaming background)? And how patient are the CAG's in the fleet with noobs? :)

Sorry for all the questions ... just read through 24 pages of commentary, and now I feel REALLY confused and very daunted by this :x !

Oh, and is the Del Taco promotion still going on? Because I believe I actually have some of those here (in CO), and was going to see if I could pick some up if still there!
[/QUOTE]

For the mouse/keyboard, you can buy just about any cheap keyboard to get by. The mouse is a little more important, but you should be able to find a decent optical/laser mouse relatively inexpensively. Newegg has the Microsoft Sidewinder X5 for like $30 right now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105223

I can't speak for everyone in the fleet, but I imagine we'd all be patient with noobs. And you'd have people there to answer any questions you'd have. We're all new to this game anyway, so we're all kind of learning as we go.

As far as I know, the Del Taco thing is still going on. There are a few here in Colorado (I live in extreme rural Southern CO), probably the closest for you would be in Broomfield, in the Flatiron Mall area (my brother lives in Westminster).

[quote name='gunm']Anyone get their retail key from Steam yet? I haven't. :([/QUOTE]
The word on the street is that all digital download purchase retail keys will be made available at 10:00 AM PST. Hang tight for another 45mins and we should start seeing some action :)

Thanks Lawyers! :) I much appreciate the info on the mouse/keyboard! I don't think I've used them in ... years! :eek:

I just went by Del Taco, and they are doing it (although, I didn't realize they only have one type of cup per week! :eek: ). It's only a short distance from me though, so it should be easy to get there to get codes, which is awesome! :D

Can't wait to finally get the game and try it out!!

[quote name='cusoman']The word on the street is that all digital download purchase retail keys will be made available at 10:00 AM PST. Hang tight for another 45mins and we should start seeing some action :)[/QUOTE]

Activation server is down, what a surprise. Hurry up and wait.

My Steam retail key showed up! It changed from "Star Trek Online - Beta" to just "Star Trek Online" in my games list, and now the "view key" option shows both the preorder and retail keys. Unfortunately I'm stuck at work. Or... maybe that's a good thing.

Same--changed about an hour ago and prompted me with the new activation key--can't wait to play after work later tonight!

Last night was fun. I played with 3 of my co-workers. One mission, a group of raider adds popped while we were fighting battleships and I flew right into the middle of them. I couldn't out run them, but one of my co-workers had the proton mines, so I just set course right for the middle of them and managed to shake them just as my rear shield collapsed and my hull started to take damage.

I activated my digital deluxe just after 1pm EST and got all my goodies for that. Waiting for my Amazon order to hit the front door to get my borg BO. I tested out a new "build" if you will on my ship based on what the AI was doing to me...it's turned out to be a phenomenal, 1-hit kill wonder build. Also, the Exchange is your friend...I bought some really nice gear cheap. I'm poor, but who needs energy? Look forward to playing some more tonight.

For purple font person, the game is relatively straightforward to play, but it has a deep skill mechanic that will take time to learn. The actual fighting in space and on the ground I thought was easy to figure out. You only have a couple buttons to hit. Most of the time you will be using WASD to maneuver in space and if you right click your weapons (in space only) they will autofire. Only thing you have to click is the torpedo and any abilities you and your bridge officers have. The key binds can be looked up in-game when you hit escape (forget the exact menu items) and you can write down stuff so you don't have to keep going back. You'll memorize them eventually, it's easy :)

I dunno, I see a lot of newb/crap gear selling for insane prices. It's harder to find the bargains when the Exchange is filled with that kind of junk.

Anyway, please PM me your "build" Starkillr, I think you're one of the, if not the highest level of us all right now? :)

[quote name='Shan82']

[/QUOTE]

Firstly, why are you buying a new keyboard for your laptop? If it's to make it easier to play games, one good option is the Logitech G13:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-920-000946-G13-Advanced-Gameboard/dp/B001NEK2GE
It adds an analog stick and a ton of customizable keys and is meant to sit to the left of your laptop/regular keyboard. It's a bit expensive on Amazon, but a Bing merchant sells it for like $63 shipped.

As for joining the fleet, first download the Steam client from http://www.steampowered.com and create an account. Make sure your account name and nickname match (they can be different, but that's annoying). Make sure you have an avatar image. Allow Steam to start whenever Windows starts - it's great for launching games (both Steam games & non-Steam games), seeing if your friends are online, and participating in Fleet chats, etc. It takes up very little processor power, so don't worry about it slowing you down.

After your Steam account is set up, PM the member survey to me (found in post # 1 of this thread) will all relevant info, and add me (EastX) to your STO friends list (this can be done from the STO main website). Then we'll get you in! :)

[quote name='eastx']Make sure your account name and nickname match (they can be different, but that's annoying). [/QUOTE]

That's ok unless you created an account when they made you use an e-mail for your account name--and its not even a valid e-mail for me any more but I'm stuck with it. I think I joined Steam over 5 years ago. :bomb:

If I can get on tonight, get my retail code from my Amazon shipment in (lot of ifs), I'll be trying to join the CAG fleet tonight. . .

Thanks guys! I can't wait to get my game, but Amazon gave me a delivery estimate of 2/5 (even though I have PRIME with 2 day shipping! :( )

Thanks for the link, Eastx! I followed some other links off that one and found the G15 ... http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G15-..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=09N0X365ADJRWT52EZ13 ... which seems almost exactly the same, but full sized! :) I think a seperate keyboard is definitely needed since my keys stick so much! :(

Also, thanks for the info on the mouse, Lawyer! The mouse/keyboard combo on that seems like a really good deal! I have a couple days yet to decide ... so *ponder* ...

And, eastx, I'm going to do all that stuff now, but I can't play until later this week when my game comes in. :(

No problem. We'll look forward to having you.

Yeah, the G15 is an excellent keyboard and a good buy since you need a full-size keyboard anyway.

I just saw the Razer Naga mouse in PC Gamer. That thing looks like the ultimate STO tool. 13 buttons by your thumb to select the power of your choice (assuming you don't miss click!). Too expensive for me to buy for a single game, but if you have to buy a mouse...

[quote name='starkillr']I just saw the Razer Naga mouse in PC Gamer. That thing looks like the ultimate STO tool. 13 buttons by your thumb to select the power of your choice (assuming you don't miss click!). Too expensive for me to buy for a single game, but if you have to buy a mouse...[/QUOTE]

Go big or go home right? argh waiting for the delivery man, its a bit agonizing

Thanks Eastx! I sent you the PM and added you as a friend on Steam (I hope you have the same name there!). I can't figure out how to add friends on the STO website though. Maybe I need to download the game first?

Edit: Ok, so I just realized that I will have at least two days online due to the code i recieved from the Del Taco deal! :D ... hopefully, that will lead to my game getting here, so I should be able to play sometime tonight! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
They don't even have Del Taco's in Canada, at least not one in Toronto. I'd love to get one of those codes and go around in a shuttle. lol

[quote name='Psamtik']They don't even have Del Taco's in Canada, at least not one in Toronto. I'd love to get one of those codes and go around in a shuttle. lol[/QUOTE]

same here. So if anyone has any codes left...i would really like one. thanks.

[quote name='Psamtik']They don't even have Del Taco's in Canada, at least not one in Toronto. I'd love to get one of those codes and go around in a shuttle. lol[/QUOTE]
You don't get to fly in this shuttle. It's like a non-combat "pet" that follows your ship around. There is a shuttle in-game that you can buy and fly around in, however.

Okay, I could be stupid and overlooked it, but did anyone who pre-order from Steam remember them saying you would get 500 Cryptic points? I didn't and still don't see it anywhere but as soon as I activated my key I got 500 Cryptic points. I got the Digital Deluxe if that matters.

bread's done
Back