CAG Winter Fundraiser - Feedback wanted

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
I'm sure you've all heard about the devastation in the Philippines and was wondering if we should shift our annual raffle/fundraising efforts this year.  I will let the CAG community decide.

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted for Child's Play, but I would actually like to see both causes be included.  Obviously, tradition and the core aim of the site lend themselves to Child's Play, but those in the Philippines need the resources even more desperately.

Perhaps there is a way to hold two concurrent drives or to have one where a charity is designated by the contributor (not sure if the latter is possible).

Whatever winds up happening, I will support it.

Such a tough and touchy subject to chime in on, but as a community, I believe that our focus should still stick with the Child's Play charity. I plan on donating to both, and I'm sure many feel the same way, or have already. I just feel as if the focus of a video game site's charitable donations choice should stick with Child's Play, and let the individual decide on rather or not they want to donate towards Typhoon relief (which I highly encourage)

Child's Play depends on sites like CAG to fund-raise, and I believe it should stay that way.

That being said, my thoughts are with the people in the Philippines and I will be donating money when I get paid Friday.

Every year as a site there is a lot of money raised which is remarkable that a great charity such as child's play is helping for the needed people. Now, it's a very tough and sensitive subject that we are talking about diaster relief because recently you had Hurricane Sandy where many homes and businesses were destroyed but it's amazing that everyone including Wombat in New York/New Jersey were able to stand strong and help others in great need. I would do the relief effort campaign for this year.

I agree that a split like on Humble Bundle would be ideal.

That way contributors could donate however they'd like.

I think excluding one is denying CAG's great ability to raise funds for two worthy causes. :)

Child's play is obviously a great charity but I think the Typhoon relief is a much more urgent cause.

A split would be a neat idea if possible.

I agree with the suggestions of the others in this thread, I voted for the typhoon relief but I would like to split donations between both that and Child's Play.

Although I love helping Child's Play every year, they can do without our help this year. Helping the Philippines is much more urgent,

There are probably a million different worthy causes in the world to donate to.

I voted for child's play as I think the donation will have more of an impact due to more people are going to be donating to the Philippines already.

50/50 split would be best. But if only one then I vote Child's Play. I have a feeling that it will get a bump down from last year due to a lot of people switching to Phillipines relief

I voted for the Philippines because they need it  but I agree that a 50/50 split would be nice. CAG has supported Child's Play for so many years it would be a shame to stop now. I know the Penny Arcades guys are total d-bags but that shouldn't keep us from supporting one of the good things they helped to create. 

I vote for disaster relief. Though this is a gaming community, there are times where events overtake us and I think this is one of those times. Where we as a community can step outside of gaming to provide help for a year.

I don't want to sound insensitive but helping people who have lost everything (including loved ones, homes, etc.) is more urgent than improving the lives of children with toys and games. Besides, Child's Play website says that they have raised $970,000 in contributions this year.

I think something that needs to be considered is *what* organization we'd be supporting if the decision was made to support the relief efforts. There are some "relief" organizations that I don't particularly trust to most effectively put the money to use - whereas I 100% trust Child Play's track record.

leave it as Child's Play.  even though it's with Penny Arcade, $50k will actual do something for kids in hospitals. 

Natural daster relief funds will definately raise millions of dollars.

Did CAG do one for the 2011 earthquake/tsunami that hit Japan, an event that likely impacted Cheapy's life?  And as someone else mentioned what happened last year after Hurricane Sandy that hit the New York area which affected many people Cheapy/Wombat know?

Now that I think about it, I don't recall there being one last year.

I think something that needs to be considered is *what* organization we'd be supporting if the decision was made to support the relief efforts. There are some "relief" organizations that I don't particularly trust to most effectively put the money to use - whereas I 100% trust Child Play's track record.
Was thinking http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

Was recommended here: http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/11/11/how-to-help-philippines-typhoon-victims/

Did CAG do one for the 2011 earthquake/tsunami that hit Japan, an event that likely impacted Cheapy's life? And as someone else mentioned what happened last year after Hurricane Sandy that hit the New York area which affected many people Cheapy/Wombat know?
We raised over $24k

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/256080-cag-fundraiser-for-japan-earthquake-tsunami-relief-24000-raised/

I really enjoy donating to Child's Play so that's my vote.  If Philippines wins I guess I have to do 2 different donations this year =P

Sorry, working out some technical issues.  Should hopefully get things started soon.  Sorry for the delay!

Raffle kicks off on Monday.  I would love to have both Child's Play and a Philippines Typhoon relief charity, but I can't find a Philippines charity that will simply supply a PayPal email address for use in our widget.  Several will take PayPal, but all require donations through their own website form.  If anyone knows of one that provides a PayPal email address, please let me know!

bread's done
Back