CAG Writing Community?

Ski Hawk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
145 (100%)
Hi,

I like to write short stories and poems. I've been doing it for about 4 years. I'm interested to know if there are other writers here on CAG. I would be very interested in reading other people's works and reviewing them. I'm interested to see what other ideas people have. Maybe we could start some sort of writer's CAG group?

Just starting the topic to see if there are any fellow writers out there, and to see if there's interest. If there is, maybe we can post links to our work (not in the thread, that would take up way too much space).

I write short stories, poetry and screenplays. Also know quite a few authors (mostly in the horror genre).

As for a group, I'm already in two groups so I probably wouldn't have the time for it

Well you can read anything I have on my site. Its in my sig. I don't put any of my original stuff online since it's too easy to steal it.

I wrote a screenplay. It's meant to be a short film (-30 minutes) set during the allied invasion in 1944. I also wrote some short stories and almost graduated with a degree in English before dropping out. I have since gone back to school for Criminal Justice so my writing takes a back seat to everything else.

I'm writing an anime/graphic novel/manga. I have the main theme down and most of the main characters. But as of now I couldn't think of anything else to write so now I'm designing the weapons that will be used.

Hey man. I'm a screenwriter as well. I'm writing something called Asylum 33D right now that was requested by a few production companies and screenwriting agencies. No idea if it'll get anywhere but I'm quite proud of what I've got thus far.

Want to take a look?

Zen, I'd love to see it. Right now, the only writing I do is review/preview work for Hardcore Gamer magazine, although I dabbled in poetry writing during my high school creative writing class.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']I'd love to see it. Right now, the only writing I do is review/preview work for Hardcore Gamer, although I dabbled in poetry writing during my high school creative writing class.[/quote]

Talking to me? lol

[quote name='Zen Davis']Talking to me? lol[/quote]I'd read it, since I'm interested in how a screenplay should come together anyway.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I'd read it, since I'm interested in how a screenplay should come together anyway.[/quote]

What's your e-mail? Your inbox is full.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']Zen, I'd love to see it. Right now, the only writing I do is review/preview work for Hardcore Gamer magazine, although I dabbled in poetry writing during my high school creative writing class.[/quote]

Thank you.

Hey Zen, I would be interested. My sister-in-law has written some screenplays and a couple of short novels. I always enjoy getting a chance to read those. :)

Thanks to everyone who will give my draft a look.

The hardest part about writing for me has been to allow myself to open up to any criticism I may receive. It's extremely easy to dismiss words of advice as "they just don't get what I'm doing" and plenty of times I've done it myself and had it done to myself as well.

However, I think it's important to realize that if one person doesn't "get" what you're doing, then there will be a bunch of others who won't "get" it either and if that happens, not only are you writing for a limited audience, you're making it unconsciously harder to find representation from agents, publishers, and production houses. These professionals are usually looking for things that appeal to the widest majority possible and unless you find that "it" that has that wide reaching appeal, you'll always be sitting alone with your latest project.

Another issue I've had is with the notion of indulgence.

There is the story I want to tell and then there is the story that should be told. My last script Brutal had a scene that involved a gentleman leaning against a tree when suddenly he hears the sound of "moo" coming from above. When the gentleman looks up perplexed, a pitchfork flies out of the tree and catches him in the shoulder. Although I thought the scene itself was hilarious and memorable, after weeks of thinking it over, it came to me that the scene belonged nowhere in the story I was trying to tell.

Alternately, in Asylum 33D, I'd love to have my characters sing a portion of the Angry Video Game Nerd theme song because I think it would be a hilarious nod to James Rolfe, whose CineMassacre's "Monster Madness" was used as an encyclopedia of information for this script. And although its use may be more appropriate considering my characters in the script, I guess we'll see what happens.

All in all, it's extremely hard work to pick and chose what belongs in the story you're telling and what it is that you're forcing into the story just because you think it's funny or interesting or whatever. The best example of this that I can give in an actual movie would be the emo Peter Parker dance scene in Spider-Man 3.

I mean what were they thinking?

I mostly do copy-writing for the web, making alternatives of typical marketing BS in a form that users would actually want to read or scan through.

I've also been writing the game design document in my sig for a while now, though the writing is very "analytical" at the moment.

bread's done
Back