CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

What is your opinion on game reviewers who obviously have no clue about the game they're reviewing?

Two recent examples:
Aliens: Colonial Marine - EGM review: http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-aliens-colonial-marines/

MGR - Revengence: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/02/19/metal-gear-rising-revengeance-review-ps3/

Yes yes, everyone is entitle to his/ her opinion, however, these people also have a responsibility - and I'm not talking about 'warning' consumers about bad products.

I'm talking about Bonus payments in the gaming industry being linked to certain metacritic scores.
All of a sudden a competent developer can't get that money, because Jimmy Zithead decided to write review about a certain game and simply bash it to get pageviews...

So anyways - if you could talk about this,
would really make my day :)

I was wondering how far you guys got in Assassins Creed 3. Like Cheapy, this was one my most anticipated games of the year. However the more I played it, the more it pissed me off -(due to a variety of reasons such as instafail quests, far too many collectibles to even bother with, unremarkable scenery, that ending....) It's really soured me on a series I once really enjoyed. What do you guys think?

Wombat, how long did you practice Bane's voice from Dark Knight Rises? Your random Bane interjections in recent shows really crack me up, I wish Bane made a regular random weekly appearance.

Gentlemen,
My launch 360 died on me after just one year of conservative use. The new one is still kicking, but it's so loud that when it's on, I can't hear the phone ring. So its days are definitely numbered. And just last month, my launch PS3 suddenly croaked after 6 years of moderate use, forcing me to buy a super slim. I learned the hard way that you can’t trust your system. Do regular backups or you’re screwed! Thank God for cloud saves! I have been a gamer for almost 30 years and I currently have every system I’ve ever owned. Amazingly, all of those systems still work. The NES still boots up when I want to slug it out in Mike Tyson’s Punchout. I occasionally still dabble in some Panzer Dragoon on my launch Sega Saturn. The Genesis, the Super NES, the Turbografx, the PSone, the Xbox...you name it, they all still work. Even the mother fucking Virtual Boy (yes I have one!) boots up!

My point is, as great as this last generation was for software quality, I feel that it was just horrendous for hardware reliability. I am hopeful that the next generation of systems can redeem my faith in the hardware. Until this current generation, I have never had to buy a system more than once. I want a system that I can turn on and not fear that it will suddenly die in the middle of a game or Netflix movie. What is the number one flaw that plagued consoles this generation that you would like to see Sony and Microsoft correct for the next generation?

Two Random question for the Cagcast.

What game did you (or still) enjoy playing from this generation that most people generally disliked? For example, I still love to play Shadowrun for Xbox 360 with some of my close friends. I know the game didn't do great due to it being a $60 multiplayer only, counterstike-esque game. Regardless, I always find it a blast to play with the little community it has left, even with its flaws.

And on the other side of that, what game could you never get into despite the fact that the majority of gamers out there loved it?

I am approaching my 100 episode listening to you guys Woo hoo. Love the show. You guys are too funny. I was watching wkrp in Cincinatti and I thought of Shipwreck. LOL

A few things.

I think you guys should do a mid year review of the games released and then compare them to the latter half of the year. I say this because when listening to your top list you guys seemed to gravitate towards latter released games.

What a difference a microphone makes. LOL Wombat no longer sounds like the Lou Holtz of cagcast.

I have been gaming almost 35 plus years. IMO the Wii U is dead.

My launch system is still in the box. It has gone the way of the N64 a system that is out their and will only get a limited amount of 3rd support with the scattered hot first party releases.

Nintendo is almost at the sega (software only) door. Even the diehard fanbase is eroding.

Sony is doing all the right stuff now. IMo they need to release the system at a loss. No more 400.00 \ 600.00

Like the ps2 pre release conference years ago 299 get the base built up. I remember when sega was trying to cut into nintendos stronghold. A few months after their launch they offered a free controller and a game with the purchase of the genesis.

In a way it is sad to see where we are headed because I want them all to do well because when they win we win.

I will say I do miss the in your face console war ads. People were playing for keeps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bun8tA_ksZw

A while back, a CAG asked if Japan was secretly boycotting (this came up around the time where toys r us in Japan had stopped selling the 360) the Xbox 360, and Cheapy, indicated that how that wasn't so and pointed out some issues as to why the 360 wasn't doing well in Japan.

What does the new Xbox need to do to have success in Japan.
Do you think the new Xbox will sell better in Japan than the Xbox 360?

Not really a question but a 'remark' :p

Listening to old episodes and currently on CagCast #180 and I got to say - WOW Wombat!

Everyone talks about the ECA controversy (Amazon codes and such).

And Wombat basically demands from Cheapy to write some letter to the Head of the ECA in such an obnoxious way - it's unbearable. He goes on for a minute or so and when then asked by Cheapy for help in compiling the letter Wombat basically chickens out.

It got better in the recent episodes but man Wombat, but your money where your mouth is.
All talks no walk with you - I can see you during work being a hot air balloon!

Wombat is the Fox News of the CagCast!

I still love you :p

[quote name='duran603']
My point is, as great as this last generation was for software quality, I feel that it was just horrendous for hardware reliability. I am hopeful that the next generation of systems can redeem my faith in the hardware. Until this current generation, I have never had to buy a system more than once. I want a system that I can turn on and not fear that it will suddenly die in the middle of a game or Netflix movie. What is the number one flaw that plagued consoles this generation that you would like to see Sony and Microsoft correct for the next generation?[/QUOTE]

Yeah this gen hardware was pretty horrendous. If i recall some in depth research was done and Ms knew at there one specail launch party where dam near every one would get a console that their was a high probablity of failure.

The did an admirable job (I wonder how much that cost them) I am currently using the halo 3 console no issues yet. Interestingly enough for the first time ever a nintendo piece of hardware failed on me and that was my wii mote. Very very limited use it just stopped working. I was floored.

Like you I own just about every console a my vectrex and all others fire up with no issues. Even the dreamcast.

So EA only gives a game (DS3) 1 month of sales before deciding to can that franchise?

Are consumers finally catching on that games are going on sale much faster now than in the past?

I know it was Black Friday pricing, but Borderlands 2 was out 2 months and was $25 and Forza Horizon had only been out 1 month and was $15.

Hey Cheapy, Wombat, and Shipwreck,

As you may or may not know, Polygon has a fluid review system that lets them adjust review scores as the game evolves post-launch, which is a good idea in theory. Today, however, they adjusted the review score of Sim City today on its launch day, which is one day after the review was posted yesterday. It dropped from a 9.5 to an 8 due to launch day server issues, but the bigger issue is about why they decided not to postpone the review a day so that they could play the game on actual launch servers that the public would be using and pounding into submission as expected. This seems like more of an abuse of their fluid scoring policy to cover the mistake of not testing an online game with public servers than taking a second look at a game as post-launch updates are released. What are your thoughts on how this whole thing is playing out and what Polygon needs to do to ensure that they get their reviews done right first without invoking this clause to let them change the score when they forgot to give the games their due diligence?

Hey guys, have you noticed how frequent the sales of Xbox Live subscription cards have been lately? It wasn't that long ago that they raised the annual cost to $60, but it seems like the cards are going for $30 to $40 all the time now. Do you think this hints at a drop-off in Live memberships as the current gen is winding down? Or is Sony taking a bite out of the pie with Playstation Plus and its free games? I'd like to know if you see anything significant in all these Live membership sales.

Is it just me, or is nobody really that excited about Bioshock Infinite coming out? I could be living in a bubble, but I haven't really seen any hype or anticipation for the game anywhere on the web or among friends.

[quote name='thorbahn3']Is it just me, or is nobody really that excited about Bioshock Infinite coming out? I could be living in a bubble, but I haven't really seen any hype or anticipation for the game anywhere on the web or among friends.[/QUOTE]

I agree with Thorbahn. Maybe it's console fatigue setting in, or the numerous delays, but I'm feeling the same way.

I'm sure Shipwreck will play it, but are Wombat and Cheapy going to pick this up on day 1?

Question for all the guys? Are any of you fans of Planescape Torment and are you looking forward to the kickstarter project: Torment: Tides of Numenera ?

Hey Cheapy,

I just started getting into hockey the past few weeks but still don't really know much about it. I wanna play one of the NHL games to get more into hockey but don't want to drop $60 on a sports game. Would you recommend picking up NHL 12 on the cheap (on Amazon for about $18 right now) or waiting for NHL 13 to drop in price? Which is the better game? Thanks.

I'll try this one again: Ship, what's the JRPG for people that got sick of JRPGS years ago: Ni no kuni or Xenogears?

Also, Cheapy, why don't you guys ever go back to older games? I realize that the new hotness is cool, too, but this is CAG! Surely your audience would love to hear you guys give quick thoughts on $10 software now and then? Maybe a feature where one of you buys and plays a bargain bin game you'd overlooked and sells us on it each week (I know you don't like regular features anymore, but give it some thought!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wombat,

I took your advice and read Raised Eyebrows. Having never watched a Marx brothers movie I didn't expect to enjoy it but I did. Very interesting story of the final years of Grouchos life (even though it sometimes felt like a book about Grouchos evil assistant). Thanks for the book recommendation.

Perhaps "Read This, Bitches" could become a regular segment similar to "Watch This, Bitches"?

Update: Since making this post I've watched three Marx Brothers movies - A Night at Casablanca, Go West, and Duck Soup. All were pretty good and hold up today. My favorite being A Night at Casablanca. Harpo was absolutely hilarious in that one.

Wombat does not understand the internet.

There is a reason the biggest, most successful websites--youtube, wikipedia, facebook, etc--are all user driven content. It is because that is what the internet thrives on. Its foundation is not some giant corporate mall, or even a group of content creators dependant upon advertising dollars, no matter how much companies want to turn it into that. Even dating back to the BBS days, the internet has always been, not about business or money, but about people sharing information with one another. It is literally a public forum.

The idea that advertisement based business is required for good content on the web is as absurd as the idea that I have to pay money to have a good conversation with my friends. There will always be user generated content and hobbyist focused websites, developed out of passion, not profit motive. Moreover, they will be the ones to generate most valuable, thought provoking, quality content specifically because they are not being driven by a business model, or cynically attempting to placate a carefully defined marketing demographic or advertiser. You have it completely backwards. The best stuff on the web is not the corporate sponsored stuff. It never has been. It never will be.

[quote name='danchilders']Wombat does not understand the internet.

There is a reason the biggest, most successful websites--youtube, wikipedia, facebook, etc--are all user driven content. It is because that is what the internet thrives on. Its foundation is not some giant corporate mall, or even a group of content creators dependant upon advertising dollars, no matter how much companies want to turn it into that. Even dating back to the BBS days, the internet has always been, not about business or money, but about people sharing information with one another. It is literally a public forum.

The idea that advertisement based business is required for good content on the web is as absurd as the idea that I have to pay money to have a good conversation with my friends. There will always be user generated content and hobbyist focused websites, developed out of passion, not profit motive. Moreover, they will be the ones to generate most valuable, thought provoking, quality content specifically because they are not being driven by a business model, or cynically attempting to placate a carefully defined marketing demographic or advertiser. You have it completely backwards. The best stuff on the web is not the corporate sponsored stuff. It never has been. It never will be.[/QUOTE]

youtube & facebook are ad driven sites

[quote name='Wombat']youtube & facebook are ad driven sites[/QUOTE]

Not to mention corporations and companies use those sites to promote/advertise/contests/like me for coupons/sell their products.

Why do podcasts need kickstarter money? It's not that expensive right, and you can get money from the time you put into it from ads, merch, live shows, etc correct?

[quote name='Wombat']youtube & facebook are ad driven sites[/QUOTE]

The content is NOT ad driven or ad dependant. The people who generate that content are in no way dependant upon ad revenue. You are moving the goal post of your argument. Go back and listen to what you said.

what works for me:
when you see the spinning circle, press the guide button. move over to "recent" and access your games and apps from there. this should solve all of wombat's problems considering all he mentions using it for is skyrim, pinball fx 2 and netflix. all 3 can be accessed from the guide. i hope this gets read on the cast because this seems to affect a large number.

Know that Battlefield 4 is anncouced for the PS4, PS3 and Xbox 360 do you wait for it for the next gen console or play it on the next xbox or PS4?

[quote name='danchilders']The content is NOT ad driven or ad dependant. The people who generate that content are in no way dependant upon ad revenue. You are moving the goal post of your argument. Go back and listen to what you said.[/QUOTE]

Many major YouTube content producers rely on ad revenue, from YouTube advertising, as their main source of income...

Wombat,
Now that you, like many CAGs, are now rocking the incredibly exceptional 3DS XL, are your eyes playing tricks on you? I keep seeing 3D effects on my smartphone and computer monitor that aren't there.

Shipwreck,
How crazy would you go if they delayed GI Joe Retaliation another year?

Cheapy,
Have you watched House of Cards on Netflix yet?

im really afraid for Assassins Creed as a franchise if they are treating it like a yearly FPS or sports title, especially if there is a genuine feature film in the process. thoughts?

Hey Cheapy, Wombat, and Shipwreck,

Maybe it's just me, but I think one of the best things you can do as a gamer is try new types of games to help diversify your tastes and make sure you don't run into a rut by just playing the same things again and again. So with that in mind, what one game would you suggest to each of your cohosts to give a legitimate shot because you think it would be something they'd enjoy that they probably wouldn't try otherwise? This could be a good thing for you guys to do when there is downtime in releases.

I just wanted to ask how much profit bioshock infinite made off my purchase? I really like the game and want to make sure i supported it in hopes more games like it will be made. I purchased it from Amazon and got xcom free and $30 of credit that can be spent on 2k games which i plan on buying the season pass and probably civ v. I feel like i hit a really good deal yet I'm not sure how much of my money will actually go to irrational since I got some much free?

It was a download so hopefully that's where costs got made up. Also where would irrational see more profit? An xbox copy of the game without the bonuses or a digital copy with all the bonuses i mentioned above?

Thanks!

Also... do you guys make money off this site? Do you have other jobs or is CAG self sustaining for ya'll?

Thanks!

Why doesn't Nintendo do another print run of Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii? The game is sold out and is going for a lot on ebay. Do they not like making money?

Wombat or Cheapy
I believe you 2 played D&D as kid. I'm not sure about Ship. Wombat seem like a pretty creative guy, would you consider doing a live D&D session? Maybe a monthly thing. Been watching RollPlay on youtube and it seems like fun.

Everyone seems down on the next xbox. They all seem to think it will focus on media related things and not games. What do you guys think? Is MS getting arrogant?

With VGfive pulling a scumbag move like they did, do you think this will bring more people into the CAG trading system or will they find another site? Will there be more improvements to the current trading system with CAG3.0?

Do you guys think you are still too old to be playing or talking about video games? I do believe one of you guys, it may have been Cheapy, saying like five or six years ago on a show that you don't want to be still doing this five years later.

Ship, any preference that the little one is a boy or girl?

We went with the "we dont care as long as he/she is healthy" and now have boy/girl twins. What an adventure this is. They will be 2 in Sept.

Hey guys,With Square being disappointed with Tomb Raider sales do you find it odd that in the tv commercials here in the states that at the end it shows a Redbox kiosk and says now available to rent at Redbox & some even had huge Tomb Raider advertisements on them.

I'm confused why you guys are so impressed with the Iwata article.

Where is the talk of Nintendo's finances???
Compared to Microsoft and Sony, they make a higher profit more often than not.

The biggest thing the article is missing is that Nintendo makes changes every console. So a quote Iwata made for the Wii won't necessarily fit the Wii U or the ds or the 3ds or any other Nintendo console. Should it be held against Nintendo that they don't just put out the exact same console over and over??

As for Nintendo's consistent flaws like droughts or lack of power, they've been extremely profitable with their flaws before. So what's different now? There might be an answer there, but the article didn't explain.

And what of all the things that Nintendo does right. Where so many video game companies go for the quick buck, they've done an excellent job of playing the long game.

Anyway, this whole thing isn't really about Iwata, it's about the Wii U. In the past, all of Nintendo's consoles have shown to be successful once they've gotten some games out. And until that point there have been talk about Nintendo's future success. So, let's just wait and see. Until there are games out and people still aren't buying the thing, it's too early to call the Wii U a mistep or to say that Iwata is a terrible CEO.

bread's done
Back