CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

Hey Guys

Don't want this to sound morbid, but with the recent passing of Ryan Davis it makes me think when you guys pass away is there anything specifically you would like to be remembered for or how you would want it to be handled? I only say this because you are in the public eye at least through voice and of course I want you guys to live for ever

Hi guys just wondering if you have checked out the new show on showtime called Ray Donovan? with Liev Schreiber init? Thought Cheapy might enjoy it.

Hey guys, question for Cheapy and Ship.  I'm seriously considering holding off on getting the new consoles until next year and going all out and getting a gaming PC, now that both of you have been PC gaming for a while now, would you recommend I go for it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ship: you recently tweeted this,"Neat, new Strider. Did you know the NES Strider was one of the competition games at my "The Wizard" themed birthday party of my youth?"  I'd love to hear about this party in detail.

My 12th birthday party at Aladdin's Castle was legendary and is still talked about by my friends.  My parents paid for the party where we were each going to get a roll of 20 tokens.  However, we went in and they guy working had set all the machines on Free Play.  It was two hours of pure joy (and mayhem)!  Even my non-gamer family had an awesome time. That was almost 25 years ago and still one of my favorite memories. 

Hi guys,

Longtime fan (3+ years)

This is for Cheapy.

I remember one episode you complained about how the relatively weak USD and strong JPY has hurt your spending power in Japan. Now that Abe's economic policies have devalued the yen, do you find yourself better or worse off? The weak JPY must make you "richer" in Japan as you can get more from the website's revenue; however, international vacations must be more expensive along with imports. I know Mrs. Cheapy also has a job (that I assume is paid in JPY,) so does it sort of just even out in the end? I ask because I am based in Hong Kong and am actually planning a trip to Japan now that JPY is relatively cheap.

Hey guys,

I wanted to get your opinion on the future of Atlus. Recently their parent company went bankrupt and they have been looking for a buyer for Atlus. A a big fan of the persona and Shin Megami Tensei series I am hoping that they are picked up. Nintendo is heavily rumored to buy them. Do you think this would be a good thing for both Nintendo and gamers? I personally hope that Nintendo does not pick them up because I do not have  a Wii U nor do I ever plan on getting one, even if it means I have to pass on one of my favorite game series.

How long will it be until most video game publishers release the digital version of a game one to two months before the retail boxed version? Movies have done it for years now with VOD, so why hasn't the video game industry?

For all the guys. You all gotta talk about chili. Do you guys have a favorite recipe, and what is chili is your location known for? Like Shipwreck's Cincinnati Chili.

Is there a possibility that the shared desire by the big three video game companies (obviously Microsoft more than the others) to take over the living room could be a mistake? Competition between Smart TVs is cutthroat and the quality of their features is only going to get better. Even worse, Chromecast is now available and could start offering a lot of these features for a low price. The multimedia functions of the next gen consoles may already be redundant for a growing share of households.

Mybe somthing for watch this bitches is a new film that came out this year called oblivion with Tom Cruise in the movie a very good film & Worth a watch!

just playing "remember me";  I really like the story and whatnot,  but hate the dicey combo-combat and terrible camera work.  what's your favorite/most memorable love/hate game? 

For all the guys. You all gotta talk about chili. Do you guys have a favorite recipe, and what is chili is your location known for? Like Shipwreck's Cincinnati Chili.
Ha! just remembered the Ron White chili bit! Your gaming or lazy foods would be a good segment!

Hey guys, longtime podcast listener, first-time CAGbag poster. I'm a lawyer in Atlanta that has been following the EA sports/Ed O'Bannon/Sam Keller litigation pretty closely. Just wanted to clear up one thing from CAGcast 331. Wombat said that EA will now have to "go to each team individually," which isn't exactly true.

Essentially, the NCAA uses the Collegiate Licensing Compnay (CLC) as its licensing arm to "protect the amateur standing of collegialte athletes" (<rimshot>). At the bottom of this post is a description of CLC from an article I wrote on the topic.

So, this was basically a non-story for both college athletes and gamers, as it was simply a way for the NCAA to get some positive press and attempt to cover its ass. The game will still have digital ripoffs of college athletes (for which they won't get paid). It will just be called "EA College Football 2015" or "Coach Sandusky College Football 2015" (too soon?) and not have NCAA branding. My guess is that nobody that plays these games gives a crap if the NCAA branding shows up anywhere. Keep up the good work.

[SIZE=12pt]The CLC is the licensing arm of the NCAA. According to their website, the company represents “200 of the nation’s top colleges, universities, bowl games, athletic conferences, the Heisman Trophy and the NCAA” and has clients that “comprise nearly 80% of the $4.6 billion retail market for collegiate licensed merchandise.”[1]#_ftn1[/SIZE] One commentator referred to the CLC as the “one-stop marketing and licensing shop for the marketing and licensing of NCAA products.”[SIZE=12pt][2][/SIZE] One of the primary purposes of CLC’s relationship with the NCAA is to protect the amateur standing of collegiate athletes.[SIZE=12pt][3][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt][1]#_ftnref1 About CLC, Collegiate Licensing Company, [website hidden] (last visited Dec. 10, 2012).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt][2]#_ftnref2 Andrew B. Carrabis, Strange Bedfellows: How the NCAA and EA Sports May Have Violated Antitrust and Right of Publicity Laws to Make a Profit at the Exploitation of Intercollegiate Amateurism, 15 Barry L. Rev. 17, 22 (2010).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt][3]#_ftnref3 Andy Latack, Quarterback Sneak, Legal Aff., Jan./Feb. 2006, at 70, available at [website hidden].[/SIZE]

Do you think that games media would be different if it wasn't so centralized in the San Fran area?

Why are there so many hipsters in games media?

I have been playing Borderlands 2 recently after picking it up in the Ultimate Games Sale a few weeks back and was wondering if I could get some tips from Borderlands Grand Master Shipwreck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Also posted in the thread for cagcast 332)

Cheapy,

I respect your views on firearms, but have you thought about how much money the website 'cheapassgunners' could make? It took me months to legally find and buy a Ruger 1911 .45 that wasn't being sold by a firearm dealer who was gouging well over MSRP. Now that I finally have one I am so going to take out the clip, strap a wiimote to it, and play me some dead space extraction (when only adults are at home of course). :twoguns: :joystick: :rofl:

So with the second round of Games with Gold being announced today, I want to know your thoughts. Seems like I'm just seeing nothing but needless bitching about a company giving games away for free. Granted, they have been older games, but they aren't going to be giving away brand new games any time soon, especially when they are still making money on them. I just think the needless complaints from gamers for getting something for free is just ridiculous. When did gamers get to this point where they expect something for nothing, and when they get it, they want something more?

Wombat Watch 2013​

Wombat, I recently noticed a new trend in the local walmarts and want to get your opinion. They have started selling shot glass size bottles of liquor up by the registers. The tiny bottles are right next to the candy / snack racks and sold out of cardboard rummage bins that are at child level. Most of the bottles are brightly colored just like the candy they sit next to. The bottles have zero child protection devices in place to prevent them from being opened or removed from the rummage bins. 

These bottles are not your average wine cooler type of booze or those nasty liquor chocolates. They are basically a shot of hard liquor per bottle. What is preventing a child from reaching in and opening a bottle? An unaware parent might see the display and think they are plastic candy bottles and pay little attention. Liquor as we know is always in a 'liquor aisle' and a child in that aisle stands out. Also, what keeps a child from tossing the bottle into the cart and having the unaware parent buy it for them without ever seeing what it is?

I don't have kids so I don't know if I should be offended or not and if I am who I should talk to for a fix.

Who would be your picks in playing Batman in the upcoming Superman/Batman movie? Producers want an older Batman to fight Cavill's Superman.  How about Peter Weller?

Question for Cheapy, Shipwreck, and Wombat...what would you guys say are your top 3 games of this gen? and how about your biggest surprise (good or bad) game of this gen? Thanks guys, keep up the good work!

Question for Cheapy, you hiring? would love the chance to work with you.

Oh and just to score some points with you (wink wink) I thought I'd mention my favorite intro you guys had which was during last year's CAGcast #280 (April 16, 2012) which you opened the show as "Javik, The Reaper Killer" and was doing introductions and wombat totally mixed up the whole James Vega/ Steve Cortez boxing scene, pure classic, I made a ring tone of it for my phone lol. Any way you and wombat can have a small quick back and forth as Javik and James? (although he was suppose to be Steven lol).

Love the CAGcast btw!

Wombat, you're right about your hesitation regarding CheapyD's praising of apps. A group has filed a complaint to the FTC about "educational apps" and their effects on children, as no evidence is offered that they are helpful, despite the companies selling this crap saying they are.

what up, nerds?

so with today's spin that the Xbone is no longer mandatorily tethered to the Kinect;  have you lost any trust in Microsoft?  I know I have.  Aside from lining their pockets with proprietary gear, data mining, and ridiculous restrictions, I guess there was no point to all of their "innovations".  With only about 3 months from launch it's a little disheartening how quick and easy all of these changes seem to be happening, but then again im just a customer.

Hey Guys,

I've already preordered one Xbone and was planning on buying two (or possibly three) others simply to sell during the frantic holiday rush.  However, now I'm unsure whether the Day Ones are going to sell out or not.  At this point, I beleive only Amazon, GameStop, and Best Buy have sold out.  Consoles are still available at Target, Walmart, and the Microsoft Store.  Is this a good strategy, or is there not going to be a shortage?

Thoughts?

With all the Xbox One backtracking, will backwards compatibility come back?

Dropping the idea of converted points expiring after 1 year?

A Kinect-less SKU now that it is not required?

Shipwreck-

As of next Wednesday I will be a student at the University of Cincinnati. I have two quick questions:

1. What is the name of the movie theater with the $5 Tuesday matinees? 

2. I'm from Cleveland, so I'm not very familiar with the area. Any other Cincinnati hot spots I should know about?

Thanks!

Cheapy, Ship, Wombat:

Longtime listener to the CAGcast and Big Fan here.  What kind of equipment do you use to record/mix the CAGcast?

I started writing for a friend's gaming blog, and we have decided to take the plunge into a semi-regular podcast.  That shit is expensive!  Kudos to you guys, though, the CAGcast always sounds great, and is in my top 3 favorite podcasts, regardless of subject matter.

Muchos thanks!

For as much as you two now game via pc, do you regret not doing it sooner? Also do you think the pc version of cod ghosts will look better than the next gen consoles as they have with current gen

Shipwreck,

Do you think the Shield could be used primarily as a tablet? I feel like they may have missed out by not marketing it as a fully functional tablet that is optimized for streaming games, especially at its price point.

And Cheapy, Wombat, Shipwreck,

As for the Xbox One not requiring Kinect: Do you think that this will dissuade developers from using Kinect as much in their games since there's not guarantee it will be plugged in anymore? Do you think this will prevent the new Kinect's true potential from being realized (assuming it works as well as advertised)?

People who were freaked out about the Kinect "watching them" are being irrational in my opinion. Smartphones and most laptops have cameras and microphones built into them, too. What's so different about the Kinect that warrants this paranoia?

Hey Cheapy, Wombat, and Shipwreck,

Being a big TMNT fan as a kid, I can't help but notice that we really haven't had at least a good TMNT game since Turtles in Time on the SNES, which seems like an even bigger tragedy now that there are quite a few quality four-player beat-em-ups out on PSN and XBLA. Rather than Ubisoft, Konami, or whoever currently has the TMNT license, it seems like one of the big indie developers should get a shot at the license, so who would you put up to that task if you were in charge of that decision today?

Looking back at this past generation, does it seem odd that Microsoft never offered bigger hard drives for the Xbox 360 with their increased focus on selling Games on Demand titles and bigger XBLA titles? Stopping at 250 GB for the old Xbox 360s and 320 GB for the slims is a big missed opportunity to further encourage bigger spending on the marketplace since you can't exactly use external hard drives to make up for Microsoft's shortcomings. I've got a 1 TB drive in my PS3 that makes it much easier to buy larger games that I tend to ignore on Xbox 360 because my 250 GB hard drive has been full for a while now with all of the games I've acquired over the past six years. At least the lack of BC on PS4 and Xbox One means the 500 GB default hard drives will take awhile to fill up with new purchases.

My question for next weeks show: do you guys like futuristic racing games (I.e f-zero)? Is there still a market for this syle of racing games, as it seems that developers are focused on the sim and kart racing.

Will you be watching Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D when it starts on TV? & Do you think Xbox should carry on the Games For Gold program when it ends?

Question more for Shipwreck and Wombat. Would you consider getting one of the cheap, off contract Windows Phones, the AT&T Nokia Lumia 520 ($99)or the T-Mobile Nokia Lumia 521 ($120), and never activate it as a phone? Just connect it on Wi-Fi. To use as an Xbox mobile game machine and media player.

bread's done
Back