CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

SO my question is; Cheapy was Titanfall really good or were you just excited to play a game with so much hype? Could this game sell a console? The devs are vets.

Cheapy, don't let the PC haters get to you. I would take your rig over a current gen console. Too bad all games aren't Live compatible. Every company wants it's own separate service. Might look good on paper but in practice it blows. Consoles have fallen behind in graphics but stay alive with the volume of content. Seems like the PC industry cares more about that one big title. 

Blizzard has got to be crazy not to release controller support for Diablo 3 on PC. With DLC update would be nice. On console the loot tables are great. The AI difficulty feels out of balance sometimes playing Co-op. I can't believe D3 is better without ingame market. I love the auction house in any game. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Cheapy,

How bad do you feel that it's nearly October and the 2012 Cheapy Award winners still have not been formally announced? How much whining from Wombat would be needed to get you to finally finish the work needed before 2014 is here?

Do you think there will be a big resell market through the holidays for the new consoles? I've pre-ordered two of each console with the thought to perhaps sell one set but I'm sensing this may be different than other launches and inventory will be plentiful. What do you think?

What is the benefit of the Steam OS over console gaming? Why turn the PC into a de facto console without all of a console's inherent advantages (uniform hardware, etc)?

A lot of gamers held off on the PS3 and Xbox 360 in favor of the Wii and PS2. Do you guys foresee this happening with the 360 and PS3 (especially given the economic circumstances)?

Been listening since day 1. Thanks for doing a great show for all these years.

This question is for Cheapy. I noticed one of your earlier videos on YouTube was about the "not so talked about" PS3 Blinking issue with HDMI cables. I've read numerous articles and the only fix seems to be look for a different TV. I find it a little ironic such a wide spread issue gets such little attention. The PS3 has been out since November of 2006 in North America, why hasn't this lazy ass company addressed this issue, with the PS4 launch only 5 weeks away I'm sure they will ignore this problem and press forward with the new hardware. Some people may feel this is a non-issue, however when looking for help on the subject I came across numerous complaints (Google PS3 Blinking and you get 581,000 hits).  I'm currently on my 3rd PS3; first one overheated, second one had HDMI blinking issues and was traded off and third one has been blinking for almost 18 months. Just interested in your two cents.

Gentleman,

This is my first time listening to CAG during a release cycle of major consoles (except if you count the Wii). This may sound dumb but are any of you actually excited about the new XBox or PS? I don't mean for that to appear condescending, but after listening to debates and discussion, it's hard to pick up on any enthusiasm regarding these two consoles. I really wanted to bring this up as a discussion point - I have not yet heard or picked up on any sense that you guys really want to play either system. If this is true, I am in the same boat, as PC gaming took my soul several years ago. I'm just not psyched about what I've read and heard so far about these two machines. 

Thanks for the good show guys.

Question for all of you:

I'm really interested in what you guys have to say about the RertroN 5. Will any of you be buying it? Did you preorder? If you plan on getting it, do you like the black or grey model better? Personally, I couldn't be more excited for it. All the gameplay videos and first hand impressions have been very positive. The fact that it up converts is excellent. The gameplay videos Hyperkin has released look great. In some of the videos they've released, they actually show gameplay on the console with no smoothing, etc. Then midway through, they turn on their settings and enhancements. I can't even believe the difference it makes. But the big feature for me is save states. It's going to be huge to not have to worry about "does this cart's save battery work" when I'm purchasing games for the classic systems. What are your thoughts and what opinions do you have of this console is basically what I'm asking.

With the next-gen launches coming up, what do you guys think are the odds of another hardware debacle like they had with the 360?  I had to send my launch 360 back four times before it was fixed for good and it still sounds like a jet engine whenever it is on. 

Do you think the manufacturers learned anything or will they always sacrifice initial run quality to hit those shipping target numbers?

Do you guys think GTA online is suppose to be part of GTA V as a complete game or is it a different game altogether?  I've noticed that critics officially reviewed the game without GTA online being available and now that it is, naturally there are numerous problems with GTA online that are being experienced by gamers. Did Rockstar purposely delay the online component of the game because they knew it was going to be riddled with problems and didn't want the review scores to be negatively influenced because of it? Also if this game was a game done by Activision or EA with the exact same online issues that is currently being experienced by GTA Online, would they get more negative feedback from gamers and gaming journalists with the online issues thus Rockstar getting a free pass due to their "flawless" reputation?

Leading on from your decision on the last show about console hard drive space, don't you think from this point it's stupid xbox and playstation are shipping with 500GB HDDs? Would it really hurt to just throw in a 1 or 2 TB in there? I understand all the casual / soccer mums / call of duty / madden people aren't really affected by the lower 500GB hard drive. But for the rest the extra GBs would come in very handy with digital downloads and installing games for the gamers.

What is it - price reasons? Wanting us to pay out more down the line for bigger HDDs? Why not just have the option for people to open up and put in any size HD they want like you can with the PS3?

Tell me where you guys see SEGA in five years.  All-Stars Racing Transformed aside, they've been working very hard this year to kill the two-decade hard-on I've had for them, and I want to know what you guys make of their antics of late.

Will the constant XBox bias from CheapyD, and sometimes other very partial comments from the other two members in Twitter ever diminish?

Why do you guys talk crap about the Ouya? It definitely has some significant advantages over the Retron 5. It plays ps1, n64, snes, genesis, nes, and others; Plus some android games. Who cares about sales numbers for an Ouya, it's really about how well does it operate. It plays backup copies of games that people own quite well. Plus you can use Xbox or ps3 controllers with it. Cheapy talked so much trash about the Ouya that I was starting to think it was made by Sony.

It was really interesting to hear Wombat's analysis of how potential lost advertising revenue was behind Google's decision to shut down its Reader service. It was fiscally responsible! It makes sense now.

I'd like to hear if you think that is also a hidden reason behind Microsoft moving from multiple 'windows' that that can be tabbed and closed to a single dumbed down 'window' app (with far less functionality) in the Windows 8 'modern' UI. More advertising revenue?

Or is it simply, as they say, that they expected everyone to be using touch monitors, etc.

It would also be good to hear of other examples of how interface changes come about because of advertising and revenue needs (particularly when another reason is publicly given for PR fluff purposes). 

Now that we are pretty close to the console releases, what games are you guys planning to get? Watch Dogs was the main one I was looking forward to, so it's a little spare for me. Although I hated Assassin's Creed III, maybe I'll try IV...

Dear Wombat,

Over the years, I've hear you say you are a fan of all things retro game related.

Would you read that new RETRO magazine? Seanbaby on the crapper! I'm all in. http://kck.st/1a042KG 

Great Show! I have listened since before any of the hosts spawned children and look forward to it every week!

Welcome to the parenting family Shipwreck,

With the recent shooting tragedy in Nevada, how long do you think it will be before the media starts pointing the finger at the video game industry again? With the soon to be released and heavily advertised COD Ghosts and Battlefield 4 (on all the time on prime time and Monday night football) it seems like a opportune time to point out how these games are a scapegoat excuse for bad parenting. When will the media finally blame parenting for issues like these? Kids do play these games but I believe they should not unless their parents truly have thought them about consequences of their actions and other tough issues such as this. Children can not purchase these games without adults but they still end up playing them because some parents buy blindly, don't care or countless other reasons. Being a parent of two and a gamer I really have disciplined myself to only play games like Disney infinity, Skylanders, Wii U family games , etc. when my children are around me. I play the games I want to play (GTA 5, Diablo, etc) when they are at school or sleeping. What are your thoughts on this issue? When will parents get the blame and people take accountability for their parenting? 

P.S. 

Thank you for your time and the hours of quality free entertainment.  We really appreciate you guys!

Why do you think music games faded away?  Was it the glut of them, just that people were sick of them and moved on to something else, or that the companies could not make money off of the instruments since people already had them?  Why did this not become an actual sustainable genre that could continue like fighting, shooter, adventure, RPG, etc?  The only games I know that is still being produced in this genre are audiosurf and Rocksmith.  I know that it always boils down to money, but want you guys to hypothesize.  Thanks.

If i could only get one of these game which one would you get since you have played both? Batman: Arkham Origins or Lego Marvel Superheroes?

Hey Guys,

I have concern that I would like you guys to address concerning used games. I have always been a proponent for purchasing new games in the hope that I would be supporting developers (not publishers since they're money grabbing assholes). After watching Jim Sterling's Jimquisition on Escapist titled "Used Games Hava a Right to Exist" (Note I was going to post link, but since I am slightly ignorant/noob about forums I can't since this is one of my first). In the video he explained, in a very effective manner, that used games aren't bad and it technically isn't taking away from "publishers". In my opinion I feel this topic is similar to sharing music since I am on the fence with both (in the sense I want to support the creators and not the publisher). What is the most economical way to ensure that the developer is getting most of my money? Please note I am a sucker for DLC (Note: I didn't purchase the horse armour not because I didn't want it but because the numerous bugs that was assoicated with it).

Thank You,

webspinnerspect

With all the bantering going back and forth with CoD: Ghost running on 1080p on PS4 vs 720p on Xbox One (allegedly) and now with Titanfall being a Xbox 360/Xbox One exclusives, do you guys think it's time that both Sony & Microsoft start including an age requirement on the packaging for the their new consoles. Though I'm referring to a mental age rather than a physical age restriction.

Are you going to do Child's Play this year again? Just wondering because of all the Penny Arcade high-jinx, and I think some other organizations like Toys for Tots, or Make A Wish might be just as good.

congrats on the +1 ship!

several of the folks I work with have been cancelling their next gen preorders because of the flip-flopping and game delays.  you fellas seeing any of this?  without the next gen exclusives at launch it just seems like I should cancel mine and wait out the launch for a more stable release of the consoles.

Wii Mini is coming to the U.S. this month. This will not be confusing to holiday shoppers at all. Wii, Wii U, Wii Mini, 2DS, 3DS, 3DS XL.

-Shipwreck via twitter

so Nintendo's business strategy is to support games with systems, instead of systems with games.

oh Nintendo, you so crazy...

Do you guys think that Microsoft is shooting themselves in the foot with Titanfall coming to PC and 360 as well as the Xbox One?  Seems like they would sell more X1s if it was console exclusive and not MS exclusive.  Thanks and keep up the great "work".

Kind of shock it wasn't brought up in the Cagcast, so I'll ask it here:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/05/call-of-duty-ghosts-mark-rubin-interview-there-are-things-that-were-not-allowed-to-talk-about-4173810/

This is the UK interview with COD Mark Rubin where he was really pushed about the power difference between consoles. My question isn't about that, but about journalists pushing for answers like that writer did. Why don't they do it more often? Some seem to, and Patrick Klepek is a good example, but a lot of times journalists just move on after no answer is given.

For example, why didn't anyone push Zampanella about why he was so surprised Titanfall was exclusive? We have heard it was going to be for numerous reasons such as the Xbox One cloud, easier to focus on one console, etc. If this was the case, why was he so surprised? Or was all of the other stuff BS?

Also, in line with that, but a separate question. Has it ever been answered what happens to a Xbox One cloud-reliant game when the connection is disrupted? How the AI changes, the textures and whatnot that are coming from the Cloud, etc....what happens with all of that stuff? Did I miss this somewhere?

For each of you three, are you going to pay for Live Gold or PS+ or just do all your online gaming on the PCPCPC?

It seems like one of the things that XBOne has going for it is that most people are already paying MS for Live Gold and they might not relish having to start up a Sony subscription too or make the switch and possibly lose touch with their existing gaming buddies.

Are you surprised by the lack of demo units in stores for the Xbox One and PlayStation 4? Here in Portland, Oregon, I've checked out a Target, GameStop, and Walmart. None of them had a demo unit for either system. With a release date this Friday for the PS4, I thought there would be demo units all over the place.  

Shipwreck - congrats on the new baby!  Have you thought about how you will eventually introduce her to video games?  I don't have any advice - my daughter likes video games but doesn't love them.  She will play pretty much any 2P game with her brother (Lego, Skylanders, Disney Infinity, etc.) and she's had a personal arcade machine in her room since she was 2 but she will never really just play on her own.  I tried though!

I remember there were rumors of J Allard returning to Microsoft a couple of months back. Do you think it's a possibility that he will return to Xbox and maybe as an E3 surprise next year? 

Here's a fun one..

a) Nerd

b) Bully

c) Jock

Each of you three can only be one of the above types. Who most closely resembles which type?

Hi guys,

What are your thoughts on personal DIY mini-Arcade cabinets?

A friend and fellow CAG is using KickStarter to attempt to start a business for manufacturing the assembly kits for these, and I was curious what the opinion was on a product like this in general. Shipwreck, I know you have some official arcade cabinets in your home, so I thought it might be interesting to see what your thoughts are on how a mini cabinet that can render multiple games compares to one of yours that only plays a single game... Wombat, your marketing skills could provide some invaluable insight as to how a product such as this might fare in the marketplace, so I am definitely looking forward to hearing your opinion. And Cheapy, I know you were a big fan of the Arcade/Bar over in Japan, so I'm sure you have some strong feelings towards something like this as well.

Here is a link to the Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2103217949/the-porta-pi-a-diy-mini-arcade-cabinet-for-raspber

And here is a Mashable review: http://mashable.com/2013/11/08/porta-pi/

Thanks for reading and thanks for putting together such a great podcast!

Shipwreck, I laughed when you mentioned playing Marvel Puzzle Quest (which I'm also addicted to) while taking care of your baby because each of my childrens' births were marked by the recent release of a new Puzzle Quest game. When my daughter was born in 2009 I had recently discovered the first PQ game and played it constantly on my DS while my wife and I were at the hospital. When we went home with her, I bought the game on Xbox Live and played it often when she fell asleep in my arms. When my son was born in 2011 I did the same thing with Puzzle Quest 2. Just wanted to give you an e-dad-five for the baby + new Puzzle Quest combo!

Do you think that they should of made agents of shield while building up to the avengers? So they could of had Hulk, Ironman, Hawkeye, Captain America, Black Widow & Thor appear in the program building up to the movie and have the agents appear in there movies?

1)

I think both system are equally match and i think they are great console. Whats your view on the ps4 network?

This is the my deciding factor on which next console get first. I'm planning to get both systems so i'm not a fanboy or anything like that. In this current gen war, I started with a PS3 and love the systems just hated the network and PSN store. I mean 20min to install 10mb update and lets not talk about firmware updates. Its got better and love PS+ auto updates but i'ts not great.  I got a xbox a few years back to play the exclusive xbox titles and love the live network. I found myself using the xbox more and more (disc install, download doesn't need install etc.. ) but I resist on buying more 360 games since my plan was to get only exclusive on xbox and play most of my gaming on ps3.

With all the talk with network related - game streaming, cross chat, download as you go, etc.. do you guys think The PSN network is finally capable of launching this? Microsoft has added a ton of server to help push xbox One, but with Sony I haven't notice any PR talks about this. 

2)

Do you think they will start incorporating AC wireless technology either with a USB addon or new slim model with AC wireless.

Ze

Edit: Let me rephrase my question. I'm thinking about going PC + either the PS4 or the Xbox One this gen. Considering I play fps games strictly on PC (and also prefer bethesda/bioware games on PC because of the modding), which console do you guys think would be a better fit for me? I've been playing on PC-only for a while and skipped the PS3/360 console gen. I'm not sure, but it seems like Playstation gets the type of exclusives I'd like to play on a console (such as the Uncharteds, God of Wars and platformers...). The features on Xbox One seem cool, but for example the voice control doesn't support my native language so it's kind of a waste. If you guys had to go PC + one console, which one would it be?

Also I want to say that I first started listening to CAGcast while I was doing my obligatory one year military service here in Finland in 08. You guys kept me entertained while I was on watch for hours in a frozen foxhole in -10 degree F weather. My ipod didnt survive the winter though. But thanks for doing the show guys and keep it up. (and I'm glad you dropped video game deals part from the podcast since they don't really affect us listeners outside the US)

In your opinion, what games are upscaled for nextgen or downscaled for current gen?

Hey guys,

Thanks for including my question in a podcast, it was fun to hear Cheapy and Wombat argue over who was the bully, and Shipwrecks diplomatic sidestep when asked his opinion.

Here's my questions for the next podcast; Have you heard how the gamers in Japan are responding to having to wait until next year for the PS4? And how has the advertising for the PS4 been? Any interesting games not announced for America coming to PS4 in Japan?

Thanks

bread's done
Back