CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

Club Nintendo/Amiibo idea...make a platinum Mario amiibo figure for the platinum reward next year, make it interface with the eshop to give it's owner a 10% discount on all eshop purchases...you could also make a gold version for gold members and pair that with a 5% discount on eshop purchases...they could also retail Black Box Themed Amiibo figures that unlock a free download of their original Nes title...this would create excitement around Amiibo and NA Club Nintendo with their most loyal customers...what do you think? Good idea? Technically possible? Would it help drive digital sales on the Eshop?

[quote name="eataburger" post="12217163" timestamp="1415309678"]Ive been listening to some old episodes and i have an idea. You should do a masterpiece theatre segment to replay some of the wacky moments in old shows. In ep55 there's 2 classic bits. The horrible itunes review where You are accused of not contributing to society and Wombat of spending his time begging for free stuff and where you recorded a PS3, Wii and 360 booting up a game and made Wombat guess which is which. You could solicit favourite bits from your audience. How about it?[/quote]

Another great bit... Ep155. Cheapy talking about his flight on Singapore Air. The money quote is "they send the skanks to the coach class". And of course the poop story.

Shipwreck and CheapyD, have you guys ever played Burnout Paradise and what were your impressions of it. For the past few CAGcasts I've been listening to Shipwreck's every increasing obsession with cruising around in Forza Horizon 2 due to the "open worldness." When I finally got Burnout Paradise during the weekend for $4.50 on PSN, I was struck by how similar the game was to your descriptions. Of course, it's not as casual as Forza, as the streets are dangerous and ripe for wrecking.

Okay, I'm listening to an old CAGcast with CheapyD's OG mother-in-law, but I still would like to see now impressions, but you've put away your 360s and PS3s.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it funny you're so baffled by Nintendo but the PSP's failure seems fine.  Sony giving away free games all the time seems fine.  All these games coming out completely broken seems fine.

I am curious, do the site's numbers show that Nintendo fans have left CAG or are there just as many as there always has been?  

buttle

Hey guys, I was wondering what TVs you use when console gaming.  I'm in the market for a new set and I'm interested in recommendations from  trusted sources. Since I have no friends, I'm coming to you.  Just kidding, I have friends, lots of friends...

Cheapy,

What was the last meal you had to have before leaving Japan and what was the first meal you were looking forward to now that you're back in the US?

I know the guys except Shipwreck love to watch the Flash and maybe Arrow, while Gotham is rather meh. How do you guys feel about the fourth show Constantine? Do any of you even have time to watch it?

Cheapy,

I know you're busy, but are you going to work with Child's Play this year? If not, let us know, and I'll donate through another site. Hope all is well!

Shipwreck,

With your massive collection of retro games, I was wondering which retro system is your favorite, and which games make it so. Also, is there any retro gear that you're dying to have, but can't find cheaply (i.e. Jaguar CD-Rom, Steel Battalion controller, etc.)?

Hey Cheapy,

Good to hear you're back in the states. Been a fan of the show for the over half a decade -only posted a few times.

I actually live on 48th and 8th and would love grab a drink or dinner one of these days.

Lemme know if you're free!

Thanks,

Assassin's Creed Unity dropped to $30 after 34 days of release. Do any of you remember any AAA title with a similar dev and marketing budget that dropped as quickly??

I'm sure you won't do it.  But for pooping and for back health, I did a non-dairy "proper food combination" diet.  And it was a very noticable help.  

Basically it helps digestion, and then pooping is faster and easier.

The basic idea is,

with starches you only eat starches,

same with meat,

and same with nuts,

veggies and lettuce go with everything,

but only eat fruit alone

http://detoxinista.com/about/food-combining/

And with me, I often follow the rules all day, but for dinner I break them since my body has more time to digest during the night.

You guys were right, Forza Horizon 2 is awesome! Super relaxing and lots of stuff to do, especially good for me since I can only play at 15-20 minute clips. Would you say it's worth going back to play Forza 5 or is it a completely different game? 

Hey guys. First, a comment about NES Remix before my question.

Shipwreck was correct in assuming that the vagueness of Nintendo's 'back of box' description for the 2 new NES Remix titles would confuse would-be purchasers. I overheard a co-worker of mine talking about all of the Wii-U stuff (console & games) he got for his son for Christmas. He said he was considering getting NES Remix so he could play some of the old classics with his son. I debated bursting his bubble, but I ended up telling him that I already owned both versions (Wii U and 3DS) and that they were actually collections of mini-games & challenges in 8-bit Nintendo game scenarios. He sounded disappointed when I told him but I'm sure it saved him from getting upset if he had purchased it and then realized that is was something other than what he thought it was.

Also the 2 versions are not entirely identical. The remixed stages are identical as each title has both the NES Remix & Remix 2 games (which were each available separately as downloads on the Nintendo eShop for Wii U and 3DS). The difference is in the bonus content. Each has a 'Championship Mode' akin to the Nintendo World Championships cartridge (perhaps you're familiar with the movie 'The Wizard'). Unique to the 3DS is that it has a sped up version of the original SMB, called 'Speed Mario Bros.' (akin to the sped up version of Ms. Pac-Man). Everything is the same, but looks like the emulator is running and 2x speed. The Wii U also has it's own unique twist on SMB called 'Super Luigi Bros.' which is just SMB, but with Luigi running it, not Mario, but the main difference is that it runs backwards (or 'mirrored' rather), where you run the entire game towards the left. I tried it and it is utterly unplayable. Not because it's broken or anything, it's just so ingrained into us after almost 30 years of playing it in the original direction. The 2x 'Speed Mario Bros.' on the 3DS version is more playable, but still nowhere near as good as the original. If you're having a hard time deciding on which one to purchase, don't let either of these 2 'exclusives' sway your decision. Get the 3DS verion if you want to play it on the go. Get the Wii U version if you want to play it on a TV.

Now for my quick question. Cheapy, did you happen to move into the one zip code in NYC where Amazon is offering their Prime Now 1-2 hour delivery service? If not, how long do you think before it will be available to you?

Shipwreck's Top 5 of 2014:

1. Dragon Age: Inquisition

2. Diablo III

3. Forza Horizon 2

4. Sunset Overdrive

5. Basketball Nightmare Dalton NFL 15

Hey Guys, 

I'm going to America (New York)  for the first time ever in February. What  restaurants and interesting places would you recommend?

I'd love to see a Wall mart but it looks like there aren't any in central new york.

Cheers for the help, Love the cagcast xx

Hey ship, what's your thoughts on the women's bball high school coach who was suspended for running up the score when his team won 161-2? They say it was unsportsmanlike, but in his defence he pulled the starters at the half.

Do you think Major Nelson will leave Xbox sometime soon? I ask because it seems since the launch of the Xbox One he's lost a lot of enthusiasm for doing his podcast. Look at the uploads. Lots of gaps. The show used to come out on a rock solid weekly basis. There was a long hiatus during the holidays. They did one new podcast for the new year and now have skipped two.

I value your opinion Wombat, so answer this...

I read a recent magazine with their top 50 games of 2014, and it was littered with arcade and ios games. 

Are we in the living in the new age of the game industry where 4-6 big budget games is all we will get each year? (half of which are good)

Everything else will be retro or arcade style games, with a few remasters.

Do you see us getting a steady yearly stream of big games again like we did the last generation?

I'll stop trolling and ask a real question.

Do you guys feel that Best Buy's Gamer's Club is a blessing or a curse? Sure, you can get games for 20% off and get $10 back for certain pre-orders. That's great. But doesn't that ruin your dream of an all digital future? In the past Cheapy mentioned going all digital this generation. But now Cheapy has a barely played disc version of Sunset Overdrive that ruins his digital dream. Do you think this is a problem, or do you generally go for the cheapest price, digital or not?

I'll stop trolling and ask a real question.

Do you guys feel that Best Buy's Gamer's Club is a blessing or a curse? Sure, you can get games for 20% off and get $10 back for certain pre-orders. That's great. But doesn't that ruin your dream of an all digital future? In the past Cheapy mentioned going all digital this generation. But now Cheapy has a barely played disc version of Sunset Overdrive that ruins his digital dream. Do you think this is a problem, or do you generally go for the cheapest price, digital or not?
I think GCU is a blessing. I personally prefer buying physical copies of games as I like having something to put on the shelf and display. I am definitely not opposed to buying digital though, but the main issue I have with buying games digitally is the fact that it's very rare that a game will cost less digital then it will at retail. If I am going to pay full price for a game I want to have a physical copy to display or trade-in if I want to. I really am not a fan of a digital future when it comes to console games and it's mainly due to price and amount of HD space the downloads take up. Now as a CAG I will definitely buy digital over physical if the price is better, I did this recently with Dragon Age: Inquisition. If the publishers can start offering more incentives to go digital over physical with bonuses or a lower price, I'd purchase a lot more games that way. I always wait until they go on sale though before I buy anything digitally that also gets a physical release.

CAGCast Crew:

Let me pitch you an idea: "Eat This, Bitches!" The new segment involves Wombat and Cheapy swapping, easy cooking recipes. Cheapy and Wombat can chat about the places in New York for the best foods, such as pastrami sandwich or pizza. Also, the places to avoid. Shipwreck can discuss about [SIZE=11pt]culinary delights of Cincinnati.[/SIZE]

Maybe, one day, the three can meet up at the Pez Factory and make a podcast or short YouTube video.

Its a thought.

Hey guys,

No question from me, but I did want to lend my support to Cheapy's School Lunch Team.  I'm in the same situation with my son and when I look at the school lunch menu, there's no way I can compete.  If I make him lunch, I'm limited to food that won't spoil if it's not refridgerated and does not need to be cooked or heated up, which leaves PB&J and...PB&J.  Plus there's the time to make the lunches every day and the cost of buying ingredients to make the lunch. 

On the other side, school lunch has multiple options every day, including hot items that were cooked that day, as anything I could ever send him with, such as PB&J.  And it is free. 

tl;dr I with Cheapy and am FOR school lunches!

Great show as always!

What would it take for you guys to buy a Wii U, the current Jar Jar Binks of consoles? If Nintendo were to do an '80s montage beefing up the Wii U, what would it entail?

What would it take for you guys to buy a Wii U, the current Jar Jar Binks of consoles? If Nintendo were to do an '80s montage beefing up the Wii U, what would it entail?
I think a lot of the lack of desire for Cheapy and Wombat to purchase a Wii U is simply due to the fact they are both very busy and already have various other consoles they are playing games consistently on. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my Wii U, but I also own an PS4 and Xbone. I spend more time playing games on those consoles as well and it's not that I have a lack of Wii U games or anything like that. The two major factors in me playing the Wii U less is the poor online service, I want to feel connected to my friends and enjoy the social aspect of things like achievements and trophies or easily be able to see what my friends are playing and jump into a game or party. The Wii U does none of those things and that has been something Nintendo as a company has struggled with for years now. The other thing I am not fond of with the Wii U is that I feel like I have to own a ton of different types of controllers, none of which are comparable to the Xbone or Dual Shock 4 controllers. The Wii U is a great console and has the best exclusive games bar-none right now, but time is also very important and when you have very little time to game it's hard to divide that up among so many consoles.

That being said I believe Shipwreck owns a Wii U so we always have good 'ol Ship to provide us with thoughts on the system.

1. Let's not expect too much from Nintendo. They don't want to take risks on Amiibos. Fine. The alternative is to take pre-orders and make an amount close to the pre-order numbers. Then the fans would finally be able to get things like the Super Smash Bros. GameCube adaptor, special Amiibos, the Zelda limited edition 3DS, and the Zelda bundle with the game and figure. All of those sold out instantly and Nintendo is showing no signs of change.

2. Nintendo should take inspiration from the Valve store for the successor to Club Nintendo. Valve still has a big profit margin on the figures and posters, but you pay for the merchandise with normal US dollars instead of codes.

Amiibo, and to a lesser extent Disney Infinity, aren't good compared to Skylanders and get by solely on the strength of their characters. Do you think Skylanders should license some properties as "Honorary Skylanders" and what would they be. I think the Looney Tunes, DreamWorks animated, and Nickelodeon characters would work well in that world.

I posted this in one of the forums but I am still confused.

"About 2 years back the ms store was unloading point cards cheap.   People on Cag swooped in.  Ms then changed it to a monetary system.

I have about 150.00 left.   Last week I got an email saying the promotions funds the 150.00 will expire in June.  

I thought once you bought points they were your to use when ever you want.   Has anybody else been threathened to lose there funds?  I know some people here went crazy." 

One of the reasons I am confused is when I bought them they never said that you lose what you buy.   Maybe it was the fine print I missed but that was weird.

Can one of you guys provide clarity on the expiring Ms promotional fund

Hey I just did my taxes and was looking to throw down on something.  What would you guys recommend?  I've got a Wii U and PC and don't feel any particular draw towards a One/PS4.

My first thought was the New 3DS, but $200 for old ass Nintendo tech feels kind of rotten, especially since the cool Zelda editions sold out and I don't want to trade-in my OOT 3DS to make it cheaper.  I don't know what I would even do with a Vita/Playstation TV.  Does buying a PS3 make sense in any way if I never had one?  They are still pretty damn expensive, nowhere near the $50 PS2s that were all over the place when its successor came out.

Please help, I'm falling slightly in favor of an Nvidia Shield, and that can't be the correct decision, right?

Hey Cheapy, Shipwreck, and Wombat,

With the continued issues that 343 Industries is having in getting the Halo: Master Chief Collection's many issues solved, does this game serves as a huge example of why every other publisher should just stick to straightforward remasters and remakes and not go for crazy ambitious ideas that seem to cause more headaches than it's ultimately worth? I'd imagine that if they abandoned the inter-connectivity of the four Halo games in this package and kept them separate like normal HD collections, there would be a higher chance of it working at launch as intended and not have it be the clusterfuck that it seems to be at times.

I am disappointed by the current state of ios gaming.

1. I once bought Kingdom Rush. I'm not the fastest gamer, but it was well designed, the graphics were good and it had some humor. And so I finished it and enjoyed it a lot.

I bought the second KIngdom Rush game as soon as it came out. I was very happy to.

By this point IAPs were in vogue so it was tuned harder to encourage you to buy extra heroes. I got fed up and gave up after a few levels.

I don't care in the slightest about Kingdom Rush 3 or any other games in their lineup. I notice Kingdom Rush 1 now has loads of IAPs as well.

2. I enjoyed Marvel Puzzle Quest for over a year. For free. But after I saw that South Park episode about Freemium games, the mechanisms behind the gameplay decisions became too clear and loathesome, and I deleted it a week later. I don't regret that year, but I never want to play a game like that again.

3. There used to be a lot of innovative new games for the iphone/ipad, but now I hardly even bother to check, because it the amount of time I have to spend checking out new games to find a good one makes it not worthwhile. The gaming review sites that cover ios games are all too kind to them.

Have any of you guys ever bought any big items just for a video game?

For instance I bought a 27" Sony TV with a Sony dream system because I wanted to hear orchid from Killer Instinct coming out of the rear channel speakers on my Super Nintendo.

And as of recently I saw a article in Maximum PC and PC Gamer for a game called Elite Dangerous. I love space games and bought the game as well as a Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog flight stick and throttle. I felt a little nuts spending $450 on a controller but now when piloting a ship it just feels awesome. Now I'm thinking bring on Oculus Rift.

Btw love the show and love the deals I have seen on the website.

So I've been listening to the CAGCast for the past two or three years, and I've never heard an explanation on this topic: What are the origins of Wombat's and Shipwreck's nicknames?  I suspected the stories behind these would come out organically over the hours and hours I've listened, but they haven't so far, and I'd love to hear their origins.

Keep up the great work, guys!

Hey Cheapy, Wombat, and Shipwreck,

I was going to ask a question about whether you expect to see any multiplayer-focused games this generation try to do a free-to-play/retail hybrid distribution strategy, but Dead or Alive 5 Last Round just did that this week with the "Core Fighters" stripped down version that people can play for free with over 300 pieces of DLC, including a $93 season pass, alongside a $40 retail version that includes more fighters, story mode, and such. All things being equal, this should be a bigger deal than Evolve's controversial cosmetic DLC on all of the news sites, right?

Cheapy and Wombat, 

I blew through Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes based your recommendations and it was great. Have any other animated suggestions that don't require a lot of previous comic knowledge? I watch all of the live action stuff (SHIELD, Carter, Arrow, Flash.)

Hey Wombat, Cheapy,
What is the best advice you can give a new parent-to-be? Got any tips or tricks to being a great or effective parent?
I have my first kid due next month!
Thanks!

bread's done
Back