CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

Would you rather have partial Superman abilities but always have a mouth full of spaghetti, or no mouth but you don't ever have to eat?

Cheapy, as a former Japan resident, is Yah-kooo-zah the proper pronunciation of Yakuza? Or is it Yah-kuh-za? I've lived most of my life around Japanese people so I've always know it as the later, and it bugs me when people emphasize the long U sound. I was especially grating when it was on the tv's at Gamestop being pronounced that way leading up to Yakuza 6 release. But I was surprised to hear you pronounce it that way in the last Cagcast.

Not sure if you guys had already talked about this since it's already been about a month, but if not what do you think of the WHO's (world health organization, not the band) decision to officially recognize "gaming disorder?"

Small article here for those unfamiliar https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322478.php

I actually don't particularly think this is going to get that much traction, "Internet gaming disorder" before it never really did either. On the other hand the video game industry's lobbying groups also doesn't have the kind of chops that the telecoms (net neutrality is dead) or tobacco (cancer) industry groups do, and parents have been happily blaming games for their kids' problems for generations now so this (paired with the "loot boxes are gambling" thing that probably led up to this) might actually wind up being a bigger blow to AAA gaming than one might expect.

As always I enjoyed the latest show, especially the Fruit Racing discussion.

I know you guys enjoy a good beer. Hey Ship are you familiar with Brewdog beer, and did you know they opened the world's first beer hotel and it's in Ohio?

https://www.brewdog.com/usa/doghouse

Cheapy and Wombat the next time you visit Ship would you stay at a beer hotel? Or consider a live CAGcast at one?

Hey guys, long-time listener here. Absolutely love the show!

I've got a bit of a long-winded question, but I would really like to get your take on it (Cheapy, paraphrase the shit out this if you have to).

With Microsoft and Sony having already experimented with mid-generation performance upgrades, and this trend possibly continuing into the next generation (where I imagine that the line between generations will become more and more blurred), do you think that Sony and Microsoft will eventually drop generational branding on their software and adopt a similar approach to PC and Mobile games?

I mean this in the sense that software will be branded simply as either "Xbox" or "Playstation" games, that will be compatible with "Console X" and upward, with performance and visual fidelity varying based on the model of the console being used. 

I think that the likelihood of this happening would be highly dependent on the approach that Microsoft and Sony take with backwards compatibility for their next generation of consoles. If they both decided to adopt a full backwards compatibility approach, imagine the potential  there could be in repackaging the games of the previous generation (and if they adopted this approach from the next generation onward, this current generation of software would be the last one that would need repackaging) - no more re-mastering and money spent on development, just a huge library of games that are constantly available for every subsequent version of your (by which I mean Microsoft's/Sony's) console. 

I've noticed with you especially, Cheapy, your willingness to give older games a go if they were PS4 Pro or Xbox One X enhanced. 

So what do we think? An actual possibility or probably not feasible in some/many aspects? 

In before Wombat calls me stupid because of marketing reasons (it would be an honour).

Apologies for the long and meandering question. 

Keep up the good work, guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for the whole gang,

Recently listening to the Player1 podcast and they stumbled into talking about their Amazon purchases.  They decided to dive into their order history to see what the very first thing each one of them ever ordered was.  I'd be curious to hear what you guys decided you wanted or needed  back in the mid to late 90s. 

Great show guys. Had one of Cheapys best belches

Question for Cheapy. Since you love Overwatch so much, did you ever give Paladins a try? If so, what did you think. If not, give it a try. It's free!

Love the show!

Kevin
Fox lake, illinois

Show Feedback Episode #560

Long time listener, first time....yada....yada....yada

Cheapy:  Grow up

Wombat: Stop it

Shipwreck:  Good job

I'll update you after another 10 years.

What happened to the My Hero Acadamia talk?
It is currently my favorite anime.
I feel like a dork, but It kinda makes me feel 40 years younger.
Are there any other animes that you are watching/enjoying or would recommend?

Do you guys have any recommendations for someone visiting NYC for the first time ever - anything that's not so obvious?

It's my first time in America and I'm only there for a few days (I'm from the UK). Thanks!

Hey Cheapy, if you got a chance to check out the COD: Black Ops 4 beta, what do you think of their battle royale compared to PUBG?  COD is so much more enjoyable and a much higher polished experience all around in my opinion.  I will be dropping PUBG in favor of COD come next month. 

Would love to hear your guys impressions on the new Williams pinball tables on Pinball FX3!

The best table seems to be Medieval Madness. What other Williams tables would you like to see? It would be great to see Indiana Jones, Attack from Mars, or Twilight Zone (licensing would be a challenge though). 

FYI, Wombat, you can play the tables on your Switch in vertical mode! Let us know how that plays

I was going to ask for impressions on the Williams tables, but I see it has already been asked.

So, when is Shipwreck going to buy a virtual pinball table?

Show feedback!
Been listening for about 2 years now, just wanted to say I vape and I know about the weed deal that has blew up within the community to hid it from others but I've never tried it with my personal set up, but I've had friends who let me try it and yes Cheapy your right it's mixed with other flavors to mask the odor of the weed so no one knows your doing it. Props to the girl who was not giving two shits about what she was smoking.

Cobra Kai - Watch this, Bitches! Listen to Cheapy!

I've been wanting to watch Cobra Kai since it was announced, but never got around to it, but after hearing Cheapy's enthusiasm, I decided to sit myself down  the other day to start watching it with my wife, in hopes we'd like it. We just finished episode 5, and we've been loving every minute of it! Yes, me and my wife, as she's also really enjoying it, even though she's never seen the original movies, and it's not easy for us to agree on something to watch. Cheapy was right when he said the show really doesn't have any business being as good as it is, and I'm honestly enjoying it more than the movies! Wombat and Shipwreck really need to start watching Cobra Kai!

Hey guys, it's been a while since I sent in a question.  Cheapy, now that you are back in the states what about Japan do you miss the most?  Wombat, what has been the most fun job you have ever had.  Finally Shipwreck, do you ever miss doing CAGForeplay?  I realize you being full time on the CAGCast is awesome enough.  Thanks guys!

Hey guys, it's been a while since I sent in a question. Cheapy, now that you are back in the states what about Japan do you miss the most? Wombat, what has been the most fun job you have ever had. Finally Shipwreck, do you ever miss doing CAGForeplay? I realize you being full time on the CAGCast is awesome enough. Thanks guys!
about CAG Foreplay, why was it cancelled?

question to cheapy about the business.

Do you have plans for growth? I like what you guys do now, but it's a 1 man show (+ 2 voices). you have potential to have more content plus more video game deal opportunities? 

What's stopping you, good lifestyle, no motivation to change?

I’m looking forward to your thoughts on Red Dead. The reviews sound like a lot of hype, and I’d rather hear your opinions. Especially Ship, since his opinions on the first game are similar to mine.

Has anyone signed up for the Google Stream beta? Since Wombat was waiting on a sale for Assassin's Creed, might as well try it out for free.

Hey Cheapy, you guys were talking about the Playstation Classic list and I'm wondering if what  you think on this perspective of the list, that like Shipwreck stated, all games are fine games, but imo it's more or less a mix of corporate ass kissing and historical value combined.  Taking a step back and looking at the games publisher or specific games themselves, do you agree with this?   

You don't have to read out the rest of this, just give a generalization, but giving you and idea what I think the real meaning of the release should be and why I think they're really screwing it up.  It's like all these decisions came from corporate Sony who have no passion in video games and this release is based entirely from a business perspective. 

Think about it.  Persona 5 is the best selling JRPG on the PS4, so they include Revelations Persona.  Ubisoft, Namco, and Capcom are pretty big third party partners, so many of these games are on there because of them.  There are more than a few games that are there because historical value, like Intelligent Qube, Jumping Flash, Battle Arena Toshinden, Destruction Derby(which also might be owned by Ubisoft,) and then many of these games being the original release rather than their far superior sequels.

The reason people buy this thing should be both historical value and long time series but also to highlight the reason to follow Playstation in the first place.  Too many of these games were there for historical value or that they started on the PS1 and the corporate ass kissing that I mentioned rather than games that defined the system.  Rayman is Ubisoft and is one of the best selling games of all time on the PS1, but did Nintendo not release Earthbound on the SNES Classic because despite the pathetic sales, people have come to realize how great of a game it is?  Or how about Gran Turismo 2 not being on the list due to licensing purposes, but instead of looking at this as a short term financial gain, they should look at it as something long term by expanding both the Playstation brand and Gran Turismo brand to a wider audience who might want to see what Playstation is all about. It's fine to add some games for historical value or partnership that don't exactly equal a very high quality, but this isn't the NES Classic with 30 games, there's 20 games available, and you're now cutting the amount of excellent games to put on there because the amount of games you feel the need to shoehorn in.

Here's the list of games I would have chosen for the PS Classic both historical and quality value.  I just edited what doesn't really belong on the list or altered some games that'd be a better choice(Driver was much bigger than GTA on the PS1 for instance.)  I own every one of these games, but I would have been more accepting of it if this was the list released instead and would have purchased one.  It's supposed to be the PS Classic, not the PS Half-Assed Classic.

FF7

Driver 2

Intelligent Qube

Jumping Flash

Rayman

MGS

Oddworld Abe's Oddysee

Einhander

Resident Evil 2

Dragon Warrior 7

Gran Turismo 2

Syphon Filter

Street Fighter Alpha 3

Wild ARMs

Mega Man Legends 2

Castlevania Syphony of the Night

Wipeout 3

Armored Core Master of Arena

Star Ocean the Second Story

Vandal Hearts(not including FFT since FF7 so chose another TRPG.)

Afternoon guys, 

Long time listener from the UK! 

Question for you all:

Read Dead Redemption 2 Online beta is due to go live any week now. What game modes would you like to see? Battle Royal or traditional GTA5 style modes? 

or maybe just Horse Jousting :D :D 

I'm going to assume you guys are gonna talk about the Diablo controversy so I wanted to make a post to let you know where us fans are coming from.  I'm a huge Diablo fan, I would call Diablo 2 my favorite game of all time.

The main point I want to make is that the problem isn't 100% that they're releasing a mobile game.  Do I want a Diablo mobile game?  No.  But I don't care that they're launching it.  Blizzard isn't even working on it, they outsourced it to NetEase who has reskinned one of their existing games to make it look like Diablo.  So, this isn't a Blizzard game, it's a game using Diablo imagery.

The big problem with this is the way they chose to announce it.  Blizzcon is a convention filled with Blizzard super fans.  They travel from all over the world to go to the con to see new game, big announcements, meet up with friends, etc.  These are your biggest supporters.  A major Diablo announcement was teased previously.  Then the schedule came out and Diablo had the very first panel on the main stage.  Full erection from the fans, me being one of them.  Then Diablo had the FINAL stage presence in the opening ceremony.  What could the announcement be?  Diablo 4?  Diablo 3 DLC?  Diablo 2 remaster?  I'd shit bricks for any one of them.

But no, Diablo Mobile.  Diablo 3 players are starved for new content.  The last DLC came out over a year ago and the expansion over 4 years ago with seemingly nothing on the horizon.  Diablo mobile is aimed at casuals, not the audience you're making this announcement for.  It's funny that they didn't understand that and all they could do was make fun of us.  DON'T YOU HAVE PHONES?  That's not the point, Wyatt.

Remember what Bethesda did at E3?  They softened the blow of lame ass announcements with teasing the next Elder Scrolls and Starfield.  I believe the makers of Gears did that too when they announced that funko game, they also announced they're working on the next Gears proper.  If Blizzard ended the opening ceremony with a Diablo 4 title card, Diablo 3 voiceover of a DLC character or some shit or a logo for Diablo 2 remastered there would be no problem at all and we wouldn't be having this conversation.  But they bungled it.

You might be saying "well you only have yourself to blame for lofty expectations."  But I argue that Blizzard's expectations of what a convention center full of superfans wants was completely wrong.  Announce this fuckin thing on Facebook or something.  They were extremely out of touch with this one.  Know your audience!

I probably sound like a crazy person in this post, but this was a massive disappointment to Diablo fans everywhere.  The only thing I can tell you to do to try and understand is replace Diablo with something beloved to all of you.

This is insane. A world were mobile gaming is growing our biggest upset of 2018 is going to be Blizzard, a beloved company for generations of gamers, making a mobile game? Countless times people, including myself, have been found with little to do on a commute or waiting room and pull our the smart phone or possibly a tablet. I'm glad to see some big name developers coming to mobile. 

An example is Paladins on pc and Paladins Strike on mobile. Two different games in essence but also similar enough to familiarize myself with characters on the go so when I return to my pc have some sort of foundation already laid out and I never really heard much of Hi-Rez until now. 

So to think that this is heresy for Blizzard to not get their proverbial finger in the mobile pie is ridiculous. In 5 years more major developers are going to commit resources to this growing market and all this anger and disappointment will be for not. 

We all know they will continue to develop for console and pc alike for years to come as it's a tried and true revenue. However they have yet to tap into the market of mobile and until we play the game should wait to cast stones. Blizzard has never let me down.

So many people are worried about the BIG SELLER triple A game that they forget how many fans and "super" fans out their don't always have the income to keep their computer up to date in hardware and maybe don't have a PC at all. Maybe getting the next-gen console is too expensive too. Does that make them less of a fan than you? Absolutely not. So bringing in a cheaper alternative on a mobile device that increases penetration of their market by who knows how much in my opinion is a great idea. 

For the 600th episode, can we get CheapyD's story about shipping all your personal stuff from Japan to New York? The story was teased, but we have never heard it  :shock:

This is insane. A world were mobile gaming is growing our biggest upset of 2018 is going to be Blizzard, a beloved company for generations of gamers, making a mobile game? Countless times people, including myself, have been found with little to do on a commute or waiting room and pull our the smart phone or possibly a tablet. I'm glad to see some big name developers coming to mobile.

An example is Paladins on pc and Paladins Strike on mobile. Two different games in essence but also similar enough to familiarize myself with characters on the go so when I return to my pc have some sort of foundation already laid out and I never really heard much of Hi-Rez until now.

So to think that this is heresy for Blizzard to not get their proverbial finger in the mobile pie is ridiculous. In 5 years more major developers are going to commit resources to this growing market and all this anger and disappointment will be for not.

We all know they will continue to develop for console and pc alike for years to come as it's a tried and true revenue. However they have yet to tap into the market of mobile and until we play the game should wait to cast stones. Blizzard has never let me down.

So many people are worried about the BIG SELLER triple A game that they forget how many fans and "super" fans out their don't always have the income to keep their computer up to date in hardware and maybe don't have a PC at all. Maybe getting the next-gen console is too expensive too. Does that make them less of a fan than you? Absolutely not. So bringing in a cheaper alternative on a mobile device that increases penetration of their market by who knows how much in my opinion is a great idea.
I think Mobile gaming is a fad. Not that I believe it'll go away definitely won't. But I have not installed one mobile game since I got a switch. I think a lot of Gamers jumped on mobile gaming only to find at the touch screen is pretty limiting. I think the switch will take a huge chunk back from Mobile gaming.

Also unlike cheapy and Wombat I've been very happy that all these older indie games are showing up on the switch. The main reason is that I bought them but I never had time to sit down front of my computer or console to play them. Finally on the switch I can play them on the go. It might not be the most new or exciting but there have been a lot that I wanted to play but never had the chance to before.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I know I'm late to the discussion but what are your final thoughts on Red Dead 2?  If I recall, Cheapy finished it, Wombat got to Chapter 2 or 3 and is probably not going back (even though he will claim otherwise :p ) and Shipwreck played for an hour and was done.  I don't understand how this game got such high reviews across every major website.  In 20 years people are going to think it was one of the best games ever made based on the review scores and it's not even close. 

It is basically playing out like a giant interactive movie with no freedom to complete missions like you want.  The hunting, collecting, crafting, eating and weapon systems don't matter at all and the controls are probably the worst I've ever experienced in a AAA game. They sacrificed fun for "realism" at every opportunity.  Sure, the graphics are amazing and the world and characters they created (arguably) feel alive but the rest of it doesn't live up to the review scores it got.  

I was standing in front of an open wardrobe last night and the prompts were:
Y: close wardrobe
X: open drawer

I'm not a game designer but can we all agree that it's OK if there is never a drawer inside of a wardrobe? Just put the thingy inside the wardrobe and not inside the drawer inside the wardrobe.  Jesus.  That little interaction is a microcosm of the entire experience of RDR2.  I feel like more people should be talking about this.

I have a question about Xbox one controllers. I had mine for 2 years when I noticed that it developed a controller drift problem (Basically the left stick moves in one direction without my input).

I checked online and apparently this is a common problem with Xbox controllers. So I have 3 questions for all of you:

1. Have you had any issues with your controllers and how many times have you replaced them?

2. Are there any third party controllers you recommend that you feel are more robust than the normal xbox controllers.

3. How do the Playstation 4 controllers compare in terms of durability?

Thanks!

This is for Cheapy, but what Anime are you watching lately with Tai? Have you tried Netflix's Hi Score Girl? It's sort of a romance but not. It takes place in 90s Japan and revolves around a kid who is heavy into arcade and console games. Then he meets his match - a female classmate. Its funny and I love how the main character goes on about video games. Just thought I'd mention it as something else to try.

Long time listener, first time posting as far I can remember. Been listening since Ep 100, and I’m now 26. Man you guys are old!

Cheapy, I have just moved to Japan and thought of no better man to ask this question to: I’m tall and fat, so where do you suggest I get my underwear from?

Cheers!

If I can only start one, which out of control teen superhero drama show should the wife and I watch -- The Umbrella Academy or Titans?

Sorta late to the game withthis one, but it seems to keep coming up, trying my best to keep this short:

With more and more single player only games coming out that allow you to spend extra money to effectively skip half the game to get to max level (looking at you assassins creed). Is that not a shallow conceit that effectively equates to “yeah we know half this game is garbage, if you dont wanna have to do it, give us more money and you can skip it!”.

What does this say about the state of the gaming industry? Do you think these types of recent practices on $60 AAA titles are made out of greed, or desperation?

What if netflix offered a premium option for an extra $2 a month to provide edited versions of their shows with the boring filler content removed.. Do you think that would be received well?

Ship, I know you mentioned Vision a long time ago but I finally got around to it and absolutely loved it. They made me care about a character I never wanted to pay any attention to in the past. Any other suggestions from you or Wombat about similar comics? I know they did something similar with Matt Fraction's Hawkeye series, taking a minor character and giving them a well written story.

Also, Spider-Man is more popular than Iron Man and it's not close. Stop it Wombat.

Not a question, but I’m going to toot my own horn in regards to today’s Iron Man VR news. From the comments in cagcast 573:
It'll never happen but the immersion level of an Iron Man VR game would be insane. You are already putting on a helmet, so it'd be like putting on the Iron Man helment. And you could have the floating HUD and Friday or Jarvis in your ear.

@shipwreck - What are your thoughts on the new MLB The Show iteration this year? Worth the upgrade for someone who last bought The Show '17?

Also what are your thoughts on the multitude of Reds unis slated for their 150th season? Thumbs up or down?

Hello to the 3! I've been listening since episode 1 and have liked every show very much. Never have written in before but something has finally annoyed me enough to say something. This something is actually someone and he is Shipwreck. Now, I believe he is a decent human, a good person even, but his behavior sometimes towards Wombat just annoys me to no end. The last example I can give you was on #583 which I just finished( a little behind I know). Wombat was talking about how he liked how  the speaker in the Playstation controller was used in The Division 2. Just saying that he enjoyed it. Then Cheapy said he thought that was a nice thing too. Shipwreck then chimes in and brings the whole vibe down with "the Wii did that, they took that from Wii". WTF Ship! It wasn't a discussion about the origin of controller speakers! Wombat did a good job trying to sound nice as he responded to Ship but I felt that I could feel a little annoyance in his tone. The whole conversation would've been funny if it wasn't for the whole history, at least to me, of how Shipwreck seems to dismiss Wombats comments or contributions to the show. You just come off as sounding superior Shipwreck.

I really do like all you guys alot and will listen as long as there is a Cagcast to listen to. Thanks for all the entertainment you've provided me and never stop doing the "Watch this Bitches" segment. My taste in TV and movies run along Cheapys taste.

Did Shipwreck ever finish Shadow of the Tomb raider? If so, what were his thoughts on it? I liked it but thought the story was the weakest of the three.

Will you ever get a digital only console? I for one will not because of all the reasons you all listed in the last podcast. I would like to add one more reason. Fewer cheap games! Last week my son was home from college for spring break. He wanted to play Kingdom Hearts 3. He's a great kid and doing well, so sure lets get the game. We went on the PS store and the game was $60. We were about to purchase it when I thought, "What would Cheapy do? Save that money!" So I went to Amazon and it was on sale for $36. I didn't want to wait for shipping so I went to Best Buy online and saw that it was $39. We drove five minutes to the Best Buy. They price matched Amazon and we have the game for $36.

This will never happen when games are all digital. There will be only one source of content, the PS Store for PS games. What say you?

Anytime I need to remind myself how bad dad-jokes can be, I read Wombat's twitter feed. That Earthday/Sunday joke was horrible, and I can't even understand how he thought of that "joke," then opened his twitter app, wrote it out, read his tweet, and still hit send. I bet he also said it to his kids, and his wife, and is still chuckling to himself about it.

No question pending.

I see wombat plays the latest Zen pinball tables. Do you keep up with current physical pinball tables? There have been incredible machines produced recently, Iron Maiden, Deadpool, Black Knight, Munsters...I would love to hear what you would buy for your home if you were to choose!

Which Hogwarts House do you each belong in?

My take:
CheapyD: Hufflepuff- Loyal to friends and family, kind, strong sense of justice.
Wombat: Gryffindor- Lion-hearted, unafraid to speak his mind but also stubborn.
Shipwreck: Ravenclaw- Wise, interesting point of view, unique interests.

bread's done
Back