CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

I've been lurking for a while, and I don't post much, but I love your site, and your podcasts. I listen to them every week; and just to note, Wombat makes me laugh with his dry wit and quick sarcasm about everything.

My question, however, isn't so much about games, but more about the world around where you two live. I don't travel abroad much, and still have yet to ever visit New York or Japan. What sort of breakfast do you commonly eat in Japan... Is it miso and rice like I would guess it could be? And how bad is the traffic in New York, really? Is it worse than LA traffic (I live in California)?

Thanks for everything, and keep up the good work!

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

I am just writing to tell you about similar situation to Speedy's, that I went through when I put the Elite information from Game Crazy up here on CAG, http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128115&page=2. The information then got spread on the internet to most of the big sites, digg, joystiq, kotaku, and so on.

I put my name, my store number and pretty much everything else on there because I thought I was allowed to. The reason is we are told if there is ever anything in the system we are allowed to promote it by any means possible so we can drive more sales and get more people into our stores. Well not everyone thought that way.

About two weeks later I sit down to play some Halo 2 and I get a call from my manager she says I have to be down to the store in the next 5 mins. I get there and everyone is looking at me. The manager stands up in my face and says "do you have anything to say for your self", I just look around and say, "Nope" ( I thought this meeting was about the theft that happened a few days back.)

I find out that some one at Microsoft read my thread, called the CEO of Movie Gallery, who called down the line until they got to my manager. Microsoft wanted "My head on a silver platter."

I didn't get fired but was told that I wasn't going to get the promotion I was promised 4 months ago and that the raise in minimum wage I got on January 1st, $6.85, was my raise. I was also told to remove the post that I made, I don't see how that would stop anything, and to never post on forums again, I didn't even understand what they meant by this, the made me sign a letter saying I wouldn't. I quit about a month later.

Well fast forward to a week ago, I had p reordered BioShock, awesome game I agree not a 10 but awesome, so I went in to pick it up. This is when I find out that my manager, my district manager, and the Regional manager have all been fired, right after I quit. I was in shock they could give me an exact reason but it seemed that everyone that had anything to do with what happened was gone. Now as you can see from the current state of Movie Gallery, Hollywood video, and Game Crazy things aren't going too well so they could have just been laid off due to that but you never know.

I hope this story helps.

Thanks,

M1C13 AKA MCHammer XIII

I just got done reading the latest edition of PLAY magazine. The editor of the mag wrote a review of Heavenly Sword. 10. He gave it a 10. 10 out of 10. That alone raised my eyebrows. And then I flip the mag shut after reading the article and the cover is 100% devoted to the game as well. Don't get me wrong, this looks like it's going to be a good game. But after reading the review you find out that the game can be finished in 4-6 hours? Thats 10$ an hour for a game!! If Mario64 was 6 hours long would it have been a 10? Ocarina of Time? Don't think so. Unless Nintendo bankrolled'em.
Just wanted your opinion. later.

CheapyD, you should have continued Prime. It's gets way better and has some seriously kickass bosses later on. But it is a adventure game at heart and I felt the graphics were the compelling reason to explore back then. Retro seems to addressed this by making the game more of a shooter for 3, but judging by my dislike of Hunters, I'm worried. Smash Bros however is almost guarenteed to be awesome which leads me to ask you CheapyD, why the fuck did you not play the GCs best games? Congrats on CheapyChild and Wombat still needs to read Ultimate Spider-man. And can somebody send Cheapy a copy of Watchmen please?

Let's switch gears a bit: Cheapy, you DJ--do you like any Jpop/hip hop, and if so, what are your current favorite groups and/or songs?

Wombat, what have you been listening to, music-wise currently?

[quote name='gunm']Let's switch gears a bit: Cheapy, you DJ--do you like any Jpop/hip hop, and if so, what are your current favorite groups and/or songs?

Wombat, what have you been listening to, music-wise currently?[/quote]

good question. id also like to know this.

Hello Cheapy & Wombat,

My question was overlooked in the last cagcast

I am extremely interested in your thoughts of Microsoft including an HD-DVD drive in the 360 within the next year?

Microsoft has re-released the console so many times within the last two years I believe this to be extremely plausible. On another note would you guys agree that in purchasing a limited edition Halo 3 360 there would be a much higher chance in acquiring a 65nm cpu?

Hey Cheapy just wondering if there is any update on the Cag wristbands you were talking about a few shows back.

I heard it mentioned in the single podcast and then i have heard nothing since... unless i missed it somewhere.

Thanks

Cheapy and Wombat,

Outside of these recent incidents concerning the 360 and PS3 price drops and ad postings thereof, how do you feel about the posting of ads during the holiday season? The current issue seems to be driven by MS and Sony, and the stores themselves don't seem to be concerned.

As a CAG I was very interested in planning the early morning, day-after-thanksgiving surgical strikes required to pick up many deals at places like Best Buy and Wal-mart. The ads leaked early and many of the stores struck back at the sites that posted them. It seems that the stores were very interested in preventing the ENTIRE ad from being released to the public that included such deep discounts on products. How do you feel about those who post these ads, and do you think the stores should be concerned?

Cheapy, do you read any comics or manga in Japan?

Wombat, who is the worst comic book superhero(es)?

Great podcast Cheapy and Wombat. I'm fairly new to the cagcast and i've been working my way backwards. I'm not sure if this question has been asked, but I'm not willing to find out so....:

I was just wondering how much time you spend playing games versus reading and researching games. It seems to me that the Shipwrecks are always playing some sort of random game and telling us about it; whereas, you guys seem to tell us more about rumors, ratings, etc.

Also, I just got to cagcast 84, and I have to say. If Cheapy doesn't think Wombat will be good enough to play Halo 3 co-op with him, Wombat must be woefully atrocious at the game.

Yep

Hey guys.. great show this week..

Cheapy - So that was me that you were kicking around in the dogfight the other night. How long did it take you to get used to the warhawk so that you could actually hit things besides the ground? For now I basically do nothing more than rackup the kills for the other side when I am in one of those things. Fun to fly but I need more practice.

Wombat - When are we going to see you fighting it out in Warhawk.. This is one game that everyone should own.. also when will we see the Wombat expedition to Tokyo to hang with Cheapy and cruise Akiba?

Keep up the good work. Hope to see you both in Warhawk soon.

hello mr cheapyd i was wondering how big is futbol in japan i kno konami's pro evo series does very well in japan. o cheapy AND wombat what are u guys gonna do for the 100th episode since its just around the corner

If Wombat is looking for the best gigabyte bang for his buck, he must be a big PS3 fan. 50GB games for the same price as 8GB 360 games! Bargain!

cheapy. so what is your opinion of buying and selling on ebay.

as far as i can tell, it's the cheapest way to play video games. you get the highest dollar for selling, and the lowest while buying.

it's like renting, but you can keep the game as long as you want. and there's no charge, since you can almost always get back what you paid. and often times i make a profit.

thoughts?

Question for Cheapy:

Ever since you moved to Japan, I've thought it ironic that you're really not able to capitalize on any of the deals posted on your own site, even if you wanted to.

Although you personally don't need to worry too much about getting games cheap thanks to your affiliate programs, what would you do (or rather what would the layman cheapass) do for gaming deals in Tokyo, and what was the last gaming deal you were able to take advantage of in Japan?

CHeapy D if I were to travel to Japan on vacation, what are some things I should know about to help soften the blow of culture shock?

Do you think they'll ever be a way to play your DS through your Wii on your TV? They had it where you could play you GBA through your GameCube. I was just wondering if and when they will make it possible to play you DS wirelessly through your TV.

Your thoughts?

Hi, guys. 3 quick questions:

First, Wombat, have you thought about what you plan to call the segment of the show in which you share your current comic picks with the rest of us CAGs? I would suggest “The Wombat Reading Room,” but that’s just one dork’s opinion.

Secondly, last week, Cheapy, you mentioned your love for mash-ups. As a fan of bootlegs myself, I wanted to ask which DJs/artists were your favorite. I like cats like Party Ben and Go Homes Productions (obviously) as well as IRN MNKY. I’ve also really started getting into DJ Earworm and A+D of late. Who are your faves.

Lastly, did either of you catch the subtle nod to CAG in Wil Wheaton’s PAX keynote address? When Wil was mentioning what types of games he enjoyed, he mentioned – if I am not completely mistaken – “Cheap Ass games.” Is Wil a closet CAG?

THAT'S IT. I CAN'T STAND IT ANY MORE!

I was going to wait to ask this but... what are your predictions for the end of the year? Who will "win" this holiday season?

Will it be the Wii with all of it's shovelware and amazing first party franchises?

Will it be the 360 with "big ass" titles like Halo 3 and Mass Effect?

Or will it be Playstation 3 with games like Warhawk and... um... multiplatform titles?

Personally I can't see anyone beating the Wii, 360 in 2nd place with all the big titles and the PS3 in a awkward 3rd place waiting for 2008.

i just started listening to cag again after a few months and i have never posted. i am a 12 year old kid and i love to game. but i only have a gamecube and im almost broke. i need some ideas for good long action games on the gamecube.p.s. wombats cool there are 2 many wombat haters out there.:applause:

hey cheapy and wombat

the PSN has not had a new update in a while.....i remember when you talked about how they had updates bout every other week, so what do you think about this? i personally like the updates (as wombat has said) and am waiting for another 1.

thanks guys

hey cheapy, does it take you a while to find a room and connect like it does for me in warhawk? that is the only problem ive had, but other than that the game is worth every penny.

i would also lik to thank wombat for giving me the idea for using headphones with my tv. i use it for warhawk and i kno its no bioshock but you can still hear the warhawks flying around you.

thanks a lot again guys even if u dont get to my ques.

I have been recommending CAGcast to a number of people due to the quality of production and the great chemistry of Cheapy and Wombat. With this in mind I would like to know how you make the show this successful and entertaining?

How early do you have the show outline completed?

Do you both come into the show with some general ideas on paper, or do you have that much wit and simply fly by the seat of your pants?

Finally, what advice can you give a podcasting newb?

Thank You both for one of the most charismatic shows around!

Wombat, I've had this argument w/ one of my friends for a long time and would like you to give me your opinion in on it. Batman; is he or is he not a super hero. I feel he is more of a vigilante then anything. He has better then average physical ability but that's it, just gadgets. Same w/ Green Lantern, he has a Ring which gives him power that's all. He is definetly a Hero but nothing other then the ring is super. What say you?

To cheapyd and wombat,

you know what would make your cagcast even more kickass?

by adding a section where you gays talk about the movies or tv shows you've seen during the week.

cool idea, eh? whaddya guys think?

Hi Guys,

I love listening to you guys on my way to and from work, but listening to the CAGcast only fills up half of the week. So I need a secondary gaming podcast to tide me over. Are there any other gaming podcasts that you would recommend? (And you can't say CAG Foreplay - that's a cop out).

Thanks!

I don't recall the Hype Wagon being done in the CAGcast for awhile, so do you guys mind bringing it back?

Also, have either of you picked up Piyotama, the $3 puzzle game on the PSN? Do you like the chance they're taking with the pricing since it's definitely not a game many people would touch at $5 and definitely not at $10? Should Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo be more willing to take chances on the pricing of these games when they clearly aren't worth the pricing category they'd fall into?

Have either of you tried the English Folklore demo that was available last month? It has a much more substantial taste of what the game offers than the Japanese demo, so I was wondering if you guys got the chance to try it and if it's something you guys are interested in buying when it comes out in October.

Hey Cheapy and wombat I was wondering if you guys have any things that you routinly do before recording the show

I Have a routine that I do before listing to the cagcast I normaly Take a dump and smoke a bowl

after i do that im prepared and ready to listen to the cagcast

Ok I just got done watching the secret life of vending machines on the food network. They had some crazy vending machines that made ice cream and hot pizza even! But what I found really interesting is that they said Japan is no.1 country for vending machines. They said there is one vending machine for every 23 people in Japan.

Are vending machines all over the place in Japan? Also what is the craziest or weirdest thing you have bought from a vending machine in Japan?

Do you agree that a $89.99 MSRP for the Wii version of Guitar Hero 3 is bullshit? Most Wii games start at $49.99, unlike 360 and PS3s $59.99, and the Wiimote should've cut costs on essential parts that are inside the attached wiimote.

CheapyD(I'd ask you Wombat but you are not a big sports fan),

A lot was made from discussions up until the releases that NCAA 08 and Madden 08 were 60 FPS on the 360 compared to 30 FPS on the PS3. My question is NHL and NBA games from EA at the same frame rates? I own both systems, I prefer the PS3 as far as it's controller scheme but would enjoy the smoother gameplay at 60 FPS. Your thoughts since NHL 08 comes out next tuesday the 11th?

Thanks,
DavidB69
Wilmington, DE

CheapyD, the podcast is great but I'm kinda worried that you're selling out for commercial success. Why the sudden change of heart on games like Metroid Prime & Resistance: Fall of Man? Your 1st impressions on those games were correct, they suck. And Warhawk? $40.00 for a downloadable game with 5 levels, that's what this world had come down to? And once the gaming community turns it out you're stuck with it: there's no trading it, no re-selling it, etc...CheapyD, fix the 360 & come back home to a console for the gamers.

speedy05

Hey Cheapy and Wombat, are you guys interested in any pics or video of halo 3 midnight launches from around the states or world. It might be interesting to document and discuss in the future.

hey guys, i think BioShock is one of the most immersive and amazing games ever. what are your thoughts on it and what would you like to see improved for the possible sequel?

I think it's pretty clear how you feel about Warhawk tangible/downloadable, but what about the recent announcement of Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine getting a combo retail release (360) for the price of what Shivering Isles cost alone on XBL? I guess I'm kind of glad I waited, but now you have other players who may have bought both downloads who are stuck with it. Is this the same issue, or is there a difference?

Recently my brother picked up a premium 360 and it had HDMI on it. As far I knew the HDMI premiums weren't going to be released until the new chipset was completed. Am I wrong?

(sorry my last few questions have only been about the Xbox 360)

I have to agree with the rejection of the advertisements. As much as I would like for the CAGcast to be subsidised to ensure it's survival should either Cheapy or Wombat get into financial difficulties, I would not want non-relevant advertisements distracting me from the quips and props of our Friendly Neighbourhood Wombat, and our Man in Japan. I, and many other CAGs, no doubt, would like game-based plugs and ads. Hell, why not get the US stores to advertise with you? Get commission on purchases, get paid for the ads, and stipulate in the contract that displaying their store's ads for the oncoming week is part of the pay-off.

Special offers are to get rid of large amounts of stock, so surely more custom to get rid of said stock would be appreciated, rather than sorted with a Circuit Shitty Subpoena.

Hey Cheapy and Wombat - a few quick things.

A) Instead of calling things "gay", call them "retarded". You're much less likely to meet retarded people so it doesn't matter when you use it.

B) Deducting points from a game's score for lack of online play is rubbish. First and foremost of importance is the single player experience. Did Bioshock give a satisfying experience? Apparantly so. (Haven't played it yet) Judge it by what it has, not what it doesn't have. I don't see you deducting points from Warhawk for not having a single player mode.

C) Cheapy - the fact that you can Amazon to ship games to Japan drives me shaqfuuing insane. I'm from Canada and 9 times out of 10, Amazon.ca doesn't have the games I'm looking for. Usually they simply say either Sold Out or Not Available. Amazon.com will *not* ship video games to Canada. I've been having a six month war of words with them over this. Nor will they ship games to South Korea, where I currently live. So I get screwed over on two fronts.

The fact that I can find English games in Seoul (sometimes even used!) and can't them from Amazon.com.........

Now that is retarded.

To cheapy and wombat

I was wondering if you guys had any interest in any sports game series, such as in madden or nba 2k. If you guys actually had enjoyed sports games which company did you enjoy more? 2k sports or EA sports?

I checked out the Radio Clash mash up podcast Cheapy mentioned a while back and I really like it. Cheapy, are you still doing mash up's?

You were abducted by aliens and your captors had procured an xbox360. They demand you provide them with a good title or you will be killed. What introductory game would you suggest they start with?

bread's done
Back