CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

Hey cheapy. My local hospital just stole my Appendix (aka.the bodies frag grenade) and I was wondering if you or Wombat have been laid up for a few weeks and what games you played. Im bored out of my mind, I already beat GTA4 and cant stomach anymore COD4 online play. Thanks

Hey Cheapy 'n Wombat,

I was just curious what Wombat received for his Birthday from you Cheapy, I don't believe you mentioned what it was.

Thanks and a belated Happy Birthday to you Wombat

CheapyD and Wombat,

You guys need an intervention. You have this never-ending hate-fest against DLC that's made before the game's release, and you guys seriously need to get over it.

Sure, there may be cases where the developers are charging for something that might have been free in the pre-DLC days. But I would expect in most cases that the DLC is extra content that the developer invested extra money, beyond the core budget, to make.

If developers and publishers invest extra money to create extra content, I don't understand what's so wrong with providing that extra content at an extra (and optional) fee.

When it really comes down to it, the right thing to do is to look at a product and ask yourself: "Is this game a good deal for the money?"

I say this with love: Get over your sense of entitlement. Just because a company develops something doesn't mean you deserve it for free with a purchase. Do you deserve a full-fledged expansion for free after you buy its original game? Of course not.

What if you knew the expansion was made before the original game was released? Is that somehow different?

Each piece of DLC is basically a tiny expansion in and of itself. Some DLC is worth it. Some isn't. Same games are a good price for the value. Some aren't.

Now that the ESRB has rated Earthbound for the VC do you think we poor loser fanboys in america will actually get it? Or is this all some cruel joke by Nintendo to give us false hope?

I'm thinking of starting a podcast of my own. I've got a few questions if you both would be so kind as to answer.

1) If I put music into the podcast, such as an intro, can I use a favorite song? I don't know copyright laws, but I'm not making any money off the podcast...so can I get in trouble for using music from a fovorite album?

2) How many different programs do you use to create CAGcast? What program do you use to talk together, what recording program do you use? Is there a specific program needed to edit or compile it afterwards, etc. ?

3) How do I get it on iTunes?

4) Are there any other tips or instructions you can give me? By tips, do you have a favorite style microphone, a hated program for recording, how much money I should expect to invest to get started, etc. ?

If there is a website you could guide me to to answer these questions instead that would be fine. I simply trust the people actually making the show rather than some possibly bogus website trying to get me to advertise with them or give them money.

THANKS Cheapy and Wombat. You guys have an amazing show.

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,
I just registered to ask you guys this so hopefully it gets answered. I was wondering if you guys knew that Xbox live stopped anyone under 18 from downloading "M" rated games, Videos, etc....They started this after the Fall Update. Now Shortly after doing this they said they want to basically follow the ESRB but with online stuff. Now really pissed I called customer support I talked to them about how I pay the same $50 a year everyone else does and get 1/3 of the content. Then they went through the ESRB thing and said how serious they take this blah blah blah, then he tells me to get around this make a silver account and possibly consider upgrading it to gold to get the demos and what not on time. So I made a silver account and about a month later got fed up having to wait a week later to get demos I called again and they insist the same thing: create a silver account and this got me thinking they ban 3/4 of there subscribers from downloading content and tell them to make a silver account they got 3/4 more subscribers, they say if you want clan support make a silver account hence more subscribers. What I'm asking is with there announcement that they have 12million subscribers now do you think they did all of this on purpose? If they get a lot of there subscribers to make 2 or 3 accounts just to get the full experience they get a lot moe subscribers making Xbox Live seem more popular more dominant than the others.

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

What re-occuring types of new stories do you dread seeing post on 1up, Joystiq, Kotaku, Digg, etc. that you don't think really has any type of merit as a piece of news?

To kind of add to last week's discussion of downloadable games and previous weeks' discussions on DLC in general, what are your thoughts on DLC for downloadable games? Do you pay attention to DLC for games you loved, focus more on good DLC despite the game, or disregard it all? I'm very interested in get the two add-on packs for Super Stardust HD because of what they add (mew modes, music, etc) and how great the game is, though there aren't really many XBLA/PSN games that offer much content in any DLC they might create. As a final question on the topic, what do you guys think of the echochrome developers taking the best user-created levels each week and putting them into free download packs that you get to play with for the week or so until the next update? Do you think that's another example of how different Microsoft and Sony handle user-created content on their system when N+ had its sharing network for user-created levels stripped just before its launch?

After my 2nd RROD, I think MS is really getting all the sales from those that bought 2 or 3 consoles while waiting for their consoles to return. (also as a backup machine).

I'm thinking of getting a second console too, but the shop will mod it with an extra cooling system as well as a new chip which will allow me to play both original as well as the downloaded games. (all these with a little extra).

With the new cooling system, so far, no one has any problem with the RROD, I assume this was because it has prevented the chip from overheating. Aside from looking ugly with a fan attached to the external casing, I'm willing to pay the extra cost of installation.

My question is, should I do it?:roll:

PS: they have a button to disable the chip so I can log on to MS live. I will not be banned from Live. (and will be able to play Downloaded live games).

Cheapy

I was wondering if you would ever add a gameclub segment in the show, similar to what the Player One Podcast does.

It could be with an older game that is good, but that many may have missed out on. You could create a thread about it where people could disccuss playing the game, and any memories they might have about the game.

Cheapy,

The time wil be coming soon when Tai will be speaking his first words. Just curious in which language will it be in? Do you try to speak to him in Japanese to set him toward that path?

Wombat,

How about them Pens? Do you still cheer for the sports teams from Pittsburgh since you went to school at Pitt? I hope you haven't converted to those crappy teams in New York/New Jersey...

Sidney Crosby FTW

What do you chaps think about HAZE getting only a 4.5/10 from IGN?

The PS3 seems to suffer far more than the 360 from exclusives being hyped but then receiving mediocre reviews when they hit the shelves. Games like LAIR, Heavenly Sword, Eye of Judgement and now HAZE are all touted as the next great game but fall short.

Do you think this is damaging the PS3's image?

[quote name='InuFaye']an older game that is good, but that many may have missed out on.[/quote]and you could focus on old games that are cheap and call it cheap thrills.

Hey Cheapy, have you gotten OG on the Wii fit board. It would be interesting to see if she is any good at skiing.

hey cheapy, i know you are a regular listener of Howard Stern and i was wondering if you heard today's show(05/20/08)? Artie Lange said he received $30,000 to do some voice acting for the upcoming Leisure Suit Larry game. he also stated that it was only about 1 1/2 hours worth of work. Do you think that was a good investment?

Hey Cheapy and Wombat, are you guys gonna go see the new Indiana Jones movie? Any expectations?

Cheapy and Wombat,

Have either one of you become emotionally attached to a game character, in the sense of the character generating a true sense of emotion. I know myself that when I played The Darkness, I really felt the emotional pain that Jackie felt throughout the game, especially during his moment of conflict with his girlfriend (No spoilers here). Has this happened to you.

Cheapy,

Are there racial tensions in Japan concerning interracial marriages? If so, how have you and your wife dealt with these tensions?

Hi Wombat nice to hear you on the cagcast with cheapyD and reading some of your ugo.com stuff. My question is what comic books are you currently reading at moment if possible? What is the best day for new releases for comics? bye.

Hey Cheapy are we ever going to get any more of those CAG bracelets? Or do you maybe have one just laying around that I could get?

Wombat have you thought of any names for the baby yet? Is he/she going to get a Jewish ceremony like Tai?

Any new information on Netflix coming to the 360 direct play service. They introduced their 100$ box and that is the direction they want to take the company. Will a 360 be able to do what the 100$ box does?

Probably more a question for Major Nelson but I figure I'd ask here.

I recall from an earlier episode that you two felt that Liberty City is a fairly accurate representation of NYC, and that there's probably something cool at the Liberty City equivalent address of Rockstar NYC.

The question is have you seen what's there?

Hey cheapy and wombat

Since this is cheap ass gamer I would like to know whats the craziest thing you've done to save a few bucks?

Great show keep it up

Hey,

My question is:

How much money do you and wombat spend on video games a year? Would be cool if you gave us the retail value, and then the value after deals that you got on CAG.

Great podcast by the way!

What do you think of Guitar Hero's new direction of basically becoming Rock Band? I think its a travisty, I want to play Guitar Hero for the kick ass guitar tracks. Does this mean we can say goodbye to songs like "Cliffs of Dover" which has no lyrics? I see a future with dumbed down Guitar Hero tracks to accompany the other instruments and really don't like what I see.

hey cheapy and wombat i was wondering if you had the same problem as i where you will pick up a game and you get really into the story and you will either put it down and not finish it or have it take forever to finish it because of another games comes out. this happened to me when i finally picked up condemened for the 360 and i still havent finished the last level because of cod4.

I just recieved my issue of Play magazine in the mail. This month they have decided to do away with review scores. It was actually so nice just to read reviews for there content and not just the score. So often we get consumed with the score and not the text. What do you guys think of this?

Hey Guys, i was just listening to the big bomb podcast based on Wombat's suggestion. I enjoyed the show until they got to their mail section and started talking about spoilers. They stated that 90 days after a game comes out that talking about the ending of the game isn't a spoiler. Their argument is that if it takes you longer than that to finish the game then you don't really care. What do you think?

Personally, i only have a couple free hours each night, and i have to split those with gaming and spending time with the Mrs. If you take something like GTA IV, it is unlikely that i will be able to finish that in 90 days. Especially if i occasionally play some multiplayer. And i can tell you right now that i most certainly do care.

[quote name='Evilsean']What do you think of Guitar Hero's new direction of basically becoming Rock Band? I think its a travisty, I want to play Guitar Hero for the kick ass guitar tracks. Does this mean we can say goodbye to songs like "Cliffs of Dover" which has no lyrics? I see a future with dumbed down Guitar Hero tracks to accompany the other instruments and really don't like what I see.[/quote]

You know what, I never thought of that. Cliffs Of Dover is my favorite track to play on GH III not just because I really like the song but because I often find myself singing along to tracks and losing concentration while playing. That is a really good point, I hope my experience won't be ruined.
P.S Today is the release of rock band here in the UK.

Cheapy and Wombat, have either of you thought of writing a user review or two on gamespot because it would be cool to see my two favorite dudes in the "gaming business" write a review for a game. Also will there be anything like this included with CAG 2.0? On top of that, Cheapy what the hell inspired you to convert the F word to shaq-fu because I actually say what the shaq-fu in real life now lol.

P.S Cheapy are you ever going to make a new YouTube video? It's been like a billion years and I know that you have had this a lot but apartment tour please lol.

[quote name='s00pNAZi']Cheapy and Wombat,
Would you eat a 6 inch turd for $1000? Would you eat a pile of crap the size of a softball every day to save your life?[/quote]
Seriously dude WTF?

Hey Cheapy,

More re: the Paid DLC,

I totally agree with you when you say that most of the DLC is planned by developers early in the project. But so are typical expansions. In both cases, this extra content is planned ahead of time as something that will take extra work, but will likely yield extra revenue (and presumably profit) to be worth the effort.

Beautiful Katamari for 360 is a great example of where you're right to complain -- that game, as shipped, had less content than any previous iteration in the series at a much higher price. Then they turn around and charge us quite a bit of money for levels that were on the disc, and whose inclusion would have made the game about the size it should have been. So I agree -- they obviously cut off pieces of what would have been a normal-sized game and then tried to sell us those pieces for even more money.

But in many cases, the DLC is planned and created at *extra* cost, outside the core project budget. They say, hey, while we have all these artists and QA and developers on staff and fresh on this project, let's have them stick around for an extra couple of weeks to create some extra content we'll sell as DLC. In those cases, that work only happens at an additional cost to the developer, and is only justified by the fact that they will be selling it seperately for extra revenue.

The problem is that as customers, we never really know when the developer created this content at extra cost to themselves vs. when they just lopped off part of what should be in the core game to sell seperately.

Which brings me back to my real point -- rather than getting bent out of shape that a piece of DLC is available near the time of a game's release, our focus should be on determining whether or not the game and its DLC is a good value for our money.

Take Oblivion for example. The core game was an exceptional value. Horse armor was a bad value. The later DLC was again a good value. Does any of that change if we were to find out that some of it was developed in whole or in part before the game shipped?

For what it's worth, I say all of this as a developer that works in the industry. You're right -- these kinds are made early in a project. But what you don't acknowledge is that the decision is often to employe extra resources to make that DLC, and that it wouldn't be made if they weren't able to sell it seperately.

Sorry for the length, and I know this is way too long for you to read on-air. It's more a manifesto to you guys to stop judging and hating on developers based on when DLC was created or released, and to instead start judging developers based on the value of what they offer.

Cheapy,
Did you know you have huge eyes and bushy eyebrows? I saw you doing the hard news on screwattack, and kept on thinking "what huge eyes and bushy eyebrows!".

Cheapy D,

I have never felt the need to write in on a topic until episode #119. I thought the show was going well until you got to the CAGbag portion of the show. A member writes you asking about racial issues in Japan.

You proceed to talk about your experiences in Japan personally, and how white people are accepted or deemed OK when interracial dating or in your case marriage is concerned. (Please use this moment to imagine a needle sliding across an LP)

You then go into how if the person is black, this is, I guess, frowned upon. WTF!! Your wife's grandmother tells her not to bring home any black ones. I thought I might have missed something and to replay that section several times. After you said that theres about 3 seconds of silence and you say "and she didn't". WTF!!!

I couldn't believe this. First of all I find you unqualified to answer the question beyond your own personal experience. The whole black thing and grandmother story, unless you're going to bring a japanese person or your wife or her grandmother to shed some light on what that's all about, you'd have been better off keeping your mouth shut. I listened to to this garbage coming out of your mouth and i can only assume that you just didn't have any idea how this sounded. The grandmother bit and the silence after before you said "and she didn't" as if to say this is the wisdom of the ages, never has a truer word been spoken, high five on that one grandma. I would have appreciated this more if you'd have given some background on what could have prompted a statement like that. At least I would have had some understanding.

A few shows past, you talked about some black persons response to some industry related issue. I believe it was about something to do with there not being a lot or rather next to no actual black main characters in video games. Then you started in with " Hello dere I be sick of playing the video games with the white-ums". All I could think about was Al Jolson in black face saying Mammy as I listened to this BS. I believe Wombat made a comment about your doing that. Frankly, I'm surprised he had nothing to say this time around.

Cheapy, I say all this to remind you that more than the white-ums listen to your show. It's this kind of crap that keeps ignorance and intolerance perpetuated. I would think that next to a black person, If not more so, a Jewish person would understand this most. It would have been better to just say what you've experienced personally and left it that.

Peace, Nastirh(pronounced Nas tear)

I don't know I took a completely different interpretation of that than Nastirh. While I did fine your mother-in-law's statements to be offensive I didn't feel that you in anyway endorsed them, except to the point where you were please that your wife selected you.

As a white new yorker in Japan I would never expect you to have an in depth understanding of eastern culture much less exhaustive knowledge of Japanese-specific cultural stereotypes. That said you've lived there for a while and you're wife is Japanese it's perfectly understandable that you've picked up a thing or two. In the deep south (Ga) there are various stereotypes that just weren't in other places I've lived (Ca, Fl) sometimes it's so blatant even my sister's friends from France pick up on them and ask me about it. If you say the Japanese are wary of Black people I don't take it as an endorsement I take it as something that must be pretty blatant if a white outsider can pick up on it.

Hey Cheapster,

any thoughts about putting the little guy into show biz in Japan? I know that "haafu" young people in japan can be pretty popular on tv shows and such. (Namie Amuro, Becky, etc.)

Z

[quote name='nastirh']Cheapy D,

I have never felt the need to write in on a topic until episode #119. I thought the show was going well until you got to the CAGbag portion of the show. A member writes you asking about racial issues in Japan.

You proceed to talk about your experiences in Japan personally, and how white people are accepted or deemed OK when interracial dating or in your case marriage is concerned. (Please use this moment to imagine a needle sliding across an LP)

You then go into how if the person is black, this is, I guess, frowned upon. WTF!! Your wife's grandmother tells her not to bring home any black ones. I thought I might have missed something and to replay that section several times. After you said that theres about 3 seconds of silence and you say "and she didn't". WTF!!!

I couldn't believe this. First of all I find you unqualified to answer the question beyond your own personal experience. The whole black thing and grandmother story, unless you're going to bring a japanese person or your wife or her grandmother to shed some light on what that's all about, you'd have been better off keeping your mouth shut. I listened to to this garbage coming out of your mouth and i can only assume that you just didn't have any idea how this sounded. The grandmother bit and the silence after before you said "and she didn't" as if to say this is the wisdom of the ages, never has a truer word been spoken, high five on that one grandma. I would have appreciated this more if you'd have given some background on what could have prompted a statement like that. At least I would have had some understanding.

A few shows past, you talked about some black persons response to some industry related issue. I believe it was about something to do with there not being a lot or rather next to no actual black main characters in video games. Then you started in with " Hello dere I be sick of playing the video games with the white-ums". All I could think about was Al Jolson in black face saying Mammy as I listened to this BS. I believe Wombat made a comment about your doing that. Frankly, I'm surprised he had nothing to say this time around.

Cheapy, I say all this to remind you that more than the white-ums listen to your show. It's this kind of crap that keeps ignorance and intolerance perpetuated. I would think that next to a black person, If not more so, a Jewish person would understand this most. It would have been better to just say what you've experienced personally and left it that.

Peace, Nastirh(pronounced Nas tear)[/quote]

well, maybe cheapy wasn't being very sensitive about it but I think it's VERY CLEAR that he was being sarcastic!

the "and she didn't" comment didn't seem to me to be "approval" in any way shape or form. I think it's obvious (at least to me) that he thinks it was a pretty awful attitude.

Japan has a very strange relationship with "African American" culture to say the least. They are fascinated with it in a lot of ways and can wind up being very offensive (to us).

an example Afrosim + Iichan

http://www.56.com/u25/v_MjUyNDU2MzA.html

i'm getting a little vaklempt. here's a topic:

comic books make lousy video games and video games make lousier comics.

while i already have some counterpoints to my own point, i thought wombat might enjoy talking about this topic while cheapy could bring it the sort of everyman view needed to balance out wombat's nerdiness regarding the matter.

and another one:
do you think we're all going to get screwed at roughly the same time by sony's asinine decision to refuse us rechargeable batteries? will there be a sixaxis d-day of sorts as batteries around the world simply crap out? i have to wonder what the long-term charge-holding life expectancy is on these batteries, and i'm curious as to whether or not sony already has a contingency plan for the potential pr and customer service nightmare. i've heard talk that sony is prepared to exchange our controllers or something to that effect, but it seems an unlikely solution, one that would cost the company far too much. do you think sony will actually deliver on this? and if they do, do you think they will tack on a 5-dollar charge to make up the difference from sixaxis to dual shock 3?

Hey guys,

Excellent podcast, I listen to every episode, even now when I'm working for Royal Caribbean and spend most of my time out at sea. I have my dad download the cagcast and put it on a CD for me and mail it to me. Anyway...

Why do you think that video games aren't typically on sale the week they're released like most major CD and DVD releases are? What is the difference that causes most games to be released at full price while music and movies are almost always cheaper the first week they're out?

Is Wombat going to the Hideo Kojima signing at the Virgin Megastore on June 11th at midnight or is his dayjob of getting hit on by gaybots going to get in the way?

Well, since we're on this thought train, and I had planned on posting this before crazy guy above...

Greetings, Cheapy. My grandmother offered similar advice to what your wife was told. In fact, my grandmother disowned a cousin who, at the time, was dating a black guy. Also, was your wife ever pressured to "keep" her "bloodline" "pure" by marrying another Japanese guy? Quotes for the words my grandmother used. My grandmother always stressed that importance and the superiority of the Japanese. My Japanese friends experienced similar, less extreme situations. Did your wife experience this as well? Apologies if the questions are too personal.

Thanks, sir.

- Chase Murata

hey, i was just wondering if your ever gunna kick the fucking shit out of wombat, that would funny to watch a big talll fit, muscular man vs a short fat and ugly person. That would make my year, wombat shoulf just fuck his dog in the bum.

Hey Cheapy, if you didn't have your wife bringing home the bacon would you be able to live comfortably off the money you make from the site?

Hey Cheapy and Wonbot, with the PS3 getting it's own achievement system soon do you think this will persuade you to buy more PS3 games because I know you like nerd points. P.S Do you know of any confirmed date for the firmware to be released?

[quote name='germanhousewife']hey, i was just wondering if your ever gunna kick the fucking shit out of wombat, that would funny to watch a big talll fit, muscular man vs a short fat and ugly person. That would make my year, wombat shoulf just fuck his dog in the bum.[/QUOTE]

Was there really any need for that?

Cheapy and Wombat,

What would be your "dream" DLC pricing system which would be fair for both developers and the consumers?
Also, do you think that developers should pay more attention to what consumers are saying when they release content? It seems like a lot of games' (especially Guitar Hero III) DLC is hit-and-miss.

Hey Cheapy,

If the "Penny Arcade Guys" can publish 3 sets of gamer pictures for their fans, I find it hard to believe that you can't do the same for your fans. What motivation or “insider” contacts do the PA guys have that you don’t?

Great podcast, I love it more than Cats. I listen to it again and again…

bread's done
Back