CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

Cheapy and Wombat,

If a Wii Hard drive was released, why would it have not been released with the release of WiiWare, I own a few WiiWare and VC games and have alot of savegames and find myself at times with only 10 or 15 blocks of free space. Why did Nintendo not forsee this problem when they made the Wii and proposed the virtual console.

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

My 2nd 360 just Red Ringed and I was wondering how large of an impact will the failure rate have on the launch of the next microsoft console? Will people be some what cautious or rush to their nearest retailer to get one on launch day?

Hi cheapy and wombot! ive been listening for some time now and its the best podcast out there!

Why dont you and/or wombat have a segment about what to play when you are on the train/buss whatever on the way to work. since i comute for about one hour every day i would like to have some tips on great games. Wombat talked about dynasty warriors on the last show and i liked the idea. maybe a game for each console. (ds and PSP)

geetings from sweden!

Hey Cheapy and Wombat do you guys know of any video game specific podcasts? Say a podcast dedicated to something liked Grand Theft Auto 4 or any other games.

Do you guys ever take advantage of the game deals posted on your site, like the $10 off target coupon or (almost) free 360 games?

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

With games like Prototype, Killzone 2, and Alan Wake being pushed to 2009. What game that's expected for a release in 2008 do you think is most likely to be pushed back to next year? Also, what will be out first: Killzone 2, Alan Wake, or CAG 2.0? ;)

If neither Rock Revolution, Guitar Hero World Tour, or Rock Band 2's instruments are compatible with all of the existing and upcoming instruments, what's the likelyhood that you'll even bother with these new games?

What topics do each of the big three companies need to cover at their E3 press conferences and what surprises do you think or hope will happen?

From time to time CheapyD and Wombat have questioned the wisdom of Sony in not emulating and improving upon the interface that Microsoft used. My question is to what extent to you think patent might have a role in this? Personally I doubt microsoft patented the ideas of their interface. I'm sure they can patent the technology driving the various aspects of Live but I doubt there's patents preventing Sony from building a similar/better interface inspired by MSoft.

Dear Yipwoop,
I do recall reading your post. I don't remember reading it in the CAGbag which is why I put it here. Not to take 'credit' or anything lame like that. I wasn't trying to blatantly steal your 'ideas' I just didn't remember where I read it and I'm far too lazy to go back to every post on every site I had read at the time to see if it was on CAG or not. It was an interesting question so I just brought it over. If you were offended by this let me be the bigger person and officially apologize. I'm sorry.

Wassup Cheapy and Wombat,

Are you guys gonna go see the new Hulk movie?

And what do you guys think of the new Hulk movie game? Do you think there's any hope of it being good like with Hulk: Ultimate Destruction? Or is it gonna be another big pile of shit like with the Iron Man movie game?

Salut.

Cheapy,

Now that Cliffy B has outgrown his name and become Cliff Bleszinski once again, do you think that you will outgrow your Cheapy D handle and morph into Fiscally Conservative David?

I heard the new Shaun White Snowboarding game would be using the Wii Fit board and since personally I think the WiiFit board is a useless waste of money that make the gamecube Bongo's look like a best buy I thought I'd check out the video released.

Do you guys ever get annoyed at videos that show you nothing? The Shaun White video is sexy enough but nothing in the video is related to the game. No footage. nothing to hint at controls. It reminds me of my life long quest to find everyone at Square who was responsible for FF VII marketing and punch each of them twice in the balls for making a trend out of this 'practice'.

Two questions:

Did you or Wombat here Major Nelsons last podcast what a cheerleader, I know they are marketing and community managers but holy shit give it a rest, the shelf space answer for the delisted XBLA games was funny ( I do understand it better now) but check out Chris Kohler's take on it from game/life. ....thoughts?

Are you pulling for the Wings or the Pens? Octopi in the house!

Brian

Since Shipwreck is going to E3, will this be the first time you've actually met him in person?
Also, what other CAGs have both of you met throughout the years in person?

[quote name='Wolfkin']From time to time CheapyD and Wombat have questioned the wisdom of Sony in not emulating and improving upon the interface that Microsoft used. My question is to what extent to you think patent might have a role in this? Personally I doubt microsoft patented the ideas of their interface. I'm sure they can patent the technology driving the various aspects of Live but I doubt there's patents preventing Sony from building a similar/better interface inspired by MSoft.[/quote]

I just read this and experienced deja vu. A comment I posted to the CAGcast 119 discussion thread less than 3 hours before Wolfkin's post was made (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183987&page=6):
"Cheapy and Wombat have questioned why the PS3 can't just emulate the 360 in its online system. I have a feeling it might have something to do with patents. If Microsoft patented their online interface (and I have no doubt they did), then Sony cannot just blatantly use the same type of online system unfortunately."

Wolfkin, if you're going to use somebody else's ideas, you should reference the person who posted the original comment.

5/31/08:
Wolfkin, I just saw your additional comment. Thanks for clearing that up.

Dear Cheapy D, I would love to buy a game where you can piss on Wombat and vise versa. Please let me know when it is available. That is something I would not mind shelling out 20 dollars for.

[quote name='ELpork']Dear Cheapy D, I would love to buy a game where you can piss on Wombat and vise versa. Please let me know when it is available. That is something I would not mind shelling out 20 dollars for.[/quote]

Same request, but with poo. :drool:

Also, Cheapy, do you wax or shave your head? Have you ever considered implants?

Hey, Cheapy...

On the "Go Dick!" episode of the Cagcast, you mentioned that you wanted to get some CAGs together to play World Series of Poker.

I snagged it at Circuit City this week while it was on sale...when are we going to get this party started?

Any hope of getting Dave Foley to host?

Hey, cheapyD and Wombat. I was listening to CagCast37 and Wombat mentioned that "1942" needed to be remade. Lo and behold it is being remade for XBLA. What are your guys opinions on it now.

Cheapy ad Wombat, Microsoft recently said that they broke the 10 million mark and I was wondering how many of those 10 million Xbox 360's sold were multiple purchases from people who had theirs break down. Just looking at the Poll that was up here on CAG there was a significant amount of people who purchased more than one console because theirs broke down. Do you guys think the number would be considerably lower if the failure rate wasn't so high?

Hey Cheapy,

Could you explain the differences between the different news segments of the CAGcast? For example, how do you know which news items to discuss in "CAGs on News" and which ones to discuss in the individual console segments of the show? Furthermore, is "CAG News-ish"strictly limited to news about the site itself?

Cheapy, in the latest episode, you suggested that Microsoft has been taught a lesson about making shoddy hardware by "the bottom line". You also state that Microsoft is losing "billions" of dollars in repairs (at least I think you said billions).

I have a theory that this is not the case and that the Red Ring of Death is actually making money for Microsoft.

1. People paid for many repairs before the warranty was extended.
2. Many people will not have their receipts or proper documentation to get free repairs when they need them.
3. Many people will not even know they are entitled to free repairs.
4. Non US residents are probably screwed, one way or another.
5. I have bought 2 360's, most of my friends have bought multiple systems at this point. How many have you bought? Microsoft is making a lot of money off of people buying multiple systems. I will make a bold guess that 20% of hardcore gamers have already bought at least 2 360's.

Isn't Microsoft finally posting profits in its game division? So when they designed a solid system, Xbox 1 they lost money. Designed a shoddy system, 360 and make money. I would be hesitant to buy a 720 in it's first year on the market.

:bomb:

[quote name='thadwhit']Cheapy, in the latest episode, you suggested that Microsoft has been taught a lesson about making shoddy hardware by "the bottom line". You also state that Microsoft is losing "billions" of dollars in repairs (at least I think you said billions).

I have a theory that this is not the case and that the Red Ring of Death is actually making money for Microsoft.

1. People paid for many repairs before the warranty was extended.
2. Many people will not have their receipts or proper documentation to get free repairs when they need them.
3. Many people will not even know they are entitled to free repairs.
4. Non US residents are probably screwed, one way or another.
5. I have bought 2 360's, most of my friends have bought multiple systems at this point. How many have you bought? Microsoft is making a lot of money off of people buying multiple systems. I will make a bold guess that 20% of hardcore gamers have already bought at least 2 360's.

Isn't Microsoft finally posting profits in its game division? So when they designed a solid system, Xbox 1 they lost money. Designed a shoddy system, 360 and make money. I would be hesitant to buy a 720 in it's first year on the market.

:bomb:[/quote]
Hell I will be running to the the 720, That or be buying pepsi like theres no tommorow and entering that dumb contest again and hopefully win like last time :p

i would have to agree with thadwhit, most people who buy an xbox 360 most of the time have to send it back to Microsoft for repairs, some people pay and people who have there warranty's don't even use them i wouldn't be surprised if most people who have warranty's don't use them because they either lose them or just flat out pay or buy another 360.
but i do agree with you cheapy, that Microsoft makes bad hardware and it is very annoying to have to send back a 360 that you baught only 2 to 3 years ago if not even earlier. hopefully the new 360 models will prove to be way better than its older models and hopefully it will last forever

great show keep it going

P.S Wombat you rock :D

Hey Cheapy & Wombat,

I figured by now everyone knows or should know Bioshock is coming out on the PS3. The question is you have both played the game on the 360 would either of you consider re-purchasing it for the PS3?

The rumor mill has it that the PS3 version will include bonus content, but not to the point where it is significant to the storyline and additional features involved with Home (most likely achievement based or something very similar).

As well it doesn't sound like 2K will be releasing another patch on the 360 that will include any extra features that the PS3 may get.

Last episode you discussed how if a game review doesn't have a score it couldn't get included in a metacritic/gameranking site. How would you guys feel about a game review aggregator site akin to rottentomatoes.com? They take a look at written reviews and if it is generally positive it counts towards 100% and if it is negative it counts towards 0%. This is the site I turn to for movie reviews and I would love something similar for videogames.

Hey Cheapy. Do you think it will ever be possible to get Chris Paladino as a special guest or a cohost for a day?

I loved his podcast (dreamstation) and would love to hear him on the CAGCast, and knowing that you two are good friends I think it could be a possibility?

Thanks. And Cheapy you have something in common with him, you both work for Microsoft. It would be perfect!

[quote name='eliter1']Cheapy ad Wombat, Microsoft recently said that they broke the 10 million mark and I was wondering how many of those 10 million Xbox 360's sold were multiple purchases from people who had theirs break down. Just looking at the Poll that was up here on CAG there was a significant amount of people who purchased more than one console because theirs broke down. Do you guys think the number would be considerably lower if the failure rate wasn't so high?[/quote]

This has been a question of mine too, I hear all the time that people are getting a second xbox after their first one craps out because they have no will power to wait for their repair.

Cheapy,

As many Cags I loved the Earth Defense Force game. It was my first B rate game that I thoroughly enjoyed. My question is why aren't there more games like that? With Developers always harping about the excessive amounts of production costs it seems like a niche market that isn't being fully realized. I know there is the Cabala series and the History channel games but they seem more like crapware than actual descent games.

Hey Cheapy and Wombat I became an unemployed game designer (go economy) this week. I was looking for some X-box 360 and Wii games I might have missed to play in my new found free time. Preferably cheap ones. On a side note your show got me through many days of work. Now i listen to it while I run. Keep up the good work. One more thing, Wombat do you have any hot job hunting tips.

I wondered what your guys' reaction to EGM not posting an official review of Metal Gear Solid 4 in the most recent issue. Instead, the editorial staff posted a round-table discussion of the game, and didn't include a score.

The move was apparently a response to Konami telling reviewers to not discuss the game's installation and length of cutscenes.

Based on EGM's recent review scale changes and suspect scores (Assassin's Creed received like a 4.5 if I remember right), how do you think this will affect the reviewer/publisher relationship?

Many publishers love seeing that 9.5 or A+, so is this just EGM flexing their muscles or is the move geared toward improving their credibility?

Cheapy,

Can you comment on what has happened to the CAG XBL Leaderboard and if it will make a return?

------------------------------

Wombat,

If you were paid a full time salary at UGO that was the equivalent of your current "real life" job, would you become a full time blogger? What would you say is so far the best part of the blogging job and conversely, the worst?

What's up Cheapy & Wombat.

Cheapy, you mentioned on an episode that you were a wrestling fan.
So there in Japan have you ever been to any NOAH, NJPW, Dragon Gate, or any other Japanese company wrestling event?
And when was the last time you watched pro-wrestling?

And for the future Dad (Wombat), how's the baby "stuff" going?

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

What happened to the previous plan to do the CAGcast earlier in the week and then a live show on Thursdays? Laziness or bad work schedules lately?

What do you guys think of reviewers trying to one-up each other when praising games like GTA IV and MGS4 by calling them pinacles of the industry, the best game of the decade, or even something that won't be surpassed for years?

If I remember correctly, Cheapy, you've said before that you didn't think there was any chance of an Asian version of Rock Band, but Harmonix announced today that Q Entertainment would be localizing the game for Japan. Are there any chances that the game will sell well, whether it keeps some of the songlist or goes for a J-rock songlist, or will it have similar troubles as most American games do in Japan?

What do you guys think has been the most controversial game of this generation so far, in either or both content and the hype around the game? Are there any contenders in the future?

[quote name='bafflin1']What do you guys think about the PSP is it worth it is it going anywhere.

[quote name='bmachine']What?[/quote][/quote]

+1

CheapyD and Wombat, how come you guys look down on long shows?

Nobody would complain if they had to stay on a roller coaster for an extra turn
I think the longer the show the better since we only get content once a week

Wombat,

Do you think that Tomonobu Itagaki still a hypocrite and can kiss your A$$ now that he is leaving Tecmo and suing them?

ObiBen

Cheapy and Wombat,

Are you guys gonna get Ninja Gaiden 2?

MGS4 comes out next week, are you gonna get that too?

These are two big releases and you guys promised to play certain games to give us CAGs your own impressions. :D

[quote name='Walt Jay']Cheapy,

How lame is thefrugalgamer.com?[/quote]

The Frugal Gamer is actually how I found CAG. I was really frustrated that the deals on their front page were never updated, so I bitched about it in their forums...and someone suggest that I check out Cheap Ass Gamer.

Frugal Gamer is a gateway drug. CAG is hardcore crack.

I'm guessing you will be addressing this little nugget in your sony news segment, but what's your opinions on the recently announce subscription service qore? you know, where you pay for first acess to trailers, demos and such. wait ,isnt this xbox live gold? well, minus the functional online play features of course. yet, another broken promise sony. ps3 will be 100% hardware backward compatible with ps2 software(wait, we didnt say that) rumble is last gen technology, the future is sixaxis(hold on, we never said that!),All PS3 users will have free online services(now, hold on, we never promised you that), or how about your promise to pay anyone who found a ps3 sitting on store shelves 600bucks. I still haven't receieved my check on that one, sony. Your undying devotion to your consumer base is overwhelming. Please promise me I can pay you to beta test Home for you this fall!

C. Dizzle and Wombat:

I remember you making reference to some sort of "tagging" features in the upcoming CAG 2.0. I think it would be cool if a user could add a tag to a deal thread just to indicate that he or she "got in" on the deal. That way you could get a quick view of all the deals you've scored through CAG with a few simple mouse clicks. I figure you could also check any given deal thread and see a convenient list of all the CAGs who have had success with the deal so far. Maybe this could even be used to create a "YMMV Meter" of sorts. Any chance we will see this kind of functionality?

P.S. the term "CAG-Tags" would be pretty catchy.

bread's done
Back