CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,
as per usual, great show.

Cheapy, on CAGcast #119 you mentioned that Japanese folks don't sit next to you on the trains because you're a foreigner. I just thought I'd mention a reason, because it might surprise you.

Studying English in Japanese schools is compulsory. Everyone is required almost six years worth of English language study. But, the same way a lot of folks in the states don't necessarily latch onto their foreign language studies, not everyone ends up six years worth of ability or vocabulary. So in public situations involving someone who looks as though they might speak English, Japanese folk will avoid them to avoid embarassment. It's not that they're afraid of you, it's that they're afraid your going to ask or say something in English.

Wombat, are you familiar with Magic: The Gathering? I'm not sure how interested you are in collecting wombat stuff but they made a card called "Rabid Wombat"?

[quote name='chfuji']Wombat, are you familiar with Magic: The Gathering? I'm not sure how interested you are in collecting wombat stuff but they made a card called "Rabid Wombat"?[/quote]

Hahaha, that's an awesome idea. He'd be at least a 5/5!

Anyways, for my CagBag question;
Cheapy, what's your current Crap-tertainment? (i,e, Mass Effect book, Phoenix Wright, etc...)

Mine is Midway Arcade Classics: Extended Play on the PSP. I happen to enjoy playing MK2 while dumping, as it excites/enrages me enough to have a quick, effective and efficient dumping experience.

Hey Cheapy and Wombat!

Great show as always. I look forward to it every week, and find it to be the official kickoff to the weekend.

Cheapy, I'm flying through Narita next week with a four hour layover. Is there anything you recommend checking out at the airport? Interesting place to eat or unusual stores?

Secondly, since I have two pretty long flights (14 hours to Tokyo, 8 to Sai Gon), do you and Wombat have any good suggestions for PSP or DS games to make the time go quickly?

Thanks!

hey Cheapy and Wombat

new listener here... I found out the cagcast when I was looking around YouTube then I saw this feminine looking Vin Diesel who was talking about different McDonald's burgers exclusive to the japanese market... yeah.. whatever

do you guys play split screen multiplayer games with your better halves? and if so, where would you guys rather be... on top or on the bottom? of the screen

btw, great show... although you might be sick and tired of hearing the same compliment over and over again..

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

Has there ever been a game you've bought on the cheap, and after playing it thought you should've paid more for it?

Cheapy & Wombat,

If the remaining three installments of the Penny Arcade game is 1600 points that would make the overall game the same price as a full retail game. Do you think that they should have waited and relased the overall game on a disk rather than episodes on XBLA?

Thanks,

ObiBen

Guys,

Today, I noticed a thread about Lego Indiana Jones, a multi-platform game in the 360 forum. In the General Gaming forum descriptors, it states:

"Want to discuss multiplatform games, industry news, or video games in general? This is the place for you."

what's up with the inconsistency? When asked on that thread a CAG mentioned other multiplatform games that were also classified in this manner - GTAIV, RockBand, and COD4.

Also, where do you see console input technology going in the future? Our graphical output has improved considerably with the move to high-definition, but most of us are still using controllers based on the old dualshock controller (with the exception of the Wii) to input data.

--------

EDIT: Two CAGs left messages via Xbox Live; they claim that one of the moderators that creates threads is biased. While I don't believe this to be the case, I thought I'd pass this info on. I told them to speak directly to you.

Since I'm not sure if you guys saw this in the main CAGcast thread, I'm going to go ahead an copy paste it here:
Great show yet again guys. Never fails to amuse and inform.
Anyways, thanks for the Penny Arcade prize but I must sadly say that I had the horrible luck of buying the game literally two hours before the show went live. So if you guys could, re-raffle it or something along those lines so another CAG could enjoy it seeing as I already have it. Fortunately enough, I got three $20 Xbox live cards for $5 thanks to the site so it's all pretty gravy. Thanks!

Hey Cheapy and Wombat, I recently watched the new trailer for Resident Evil 5 and I was stunned at how good this game looks. I'm not a real fan of the previous games but this one has really caught my eye. I was wondering what you guys thought of the trailer. If you haven't seen it, it's available to download at the Playstation store.

In light of the Wii Fit. Do you think that the likes of Microsoft (especially as they make many accessories) will start to make more games that encourage thinks like fitness and studying etc.?

Hey CHEAPYD and WOMBAT. I'm a Canadian visiting New York for the first time EVER next month (starting July 2). I'm just wondering what are some essential things videogame and/or non-videogame related activities I must experience for my first visit to the big apple. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Your thankful Northen/Western bound listener,
G$

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,
Is the lifespan of the 360 going to be an issue? I don't mean the RRoD issue, but rather the current hardware cycle of the xbox brand. Around launch, I remember hearing that the 360 would last until 2010. Lately, I've been hearing talk of a seven year lifespan. Does this mean that the nextbox will be delayed or that microsoft is planning better support for a legacy device than we got with the original xbox? Basically, do you guys think the xbox 360 only has two more years to enjoy life?

hey wombat, i think that u should give games from the junk drawer away, even tho those games are crap, some of them seem interesting to play.

Cheapy, Wombat; how exactly is in game messaging and in game invites, an issues with the PSN infrastructure. in game invites and messages, are an issue that the PS3 has... because there wasnt enough memory to run in the xmb along with games. That to me is not an infrastructure issue. Its part of the pS3's OS that runs on top of the game. other than the in game messages and invites which I'm purporting to be a system issue, is there any other issues that you've personally experienced in regards to getting online and playing games online via PSN ?

Some PS3 games do allow in game invites already - well just one.. Tekken DR Online. But looking at the situation, just like Namco decided to include this feature, in game invites is a feature that needs to be standardized with Sony, as it is on 360 games. With Sony, everything is up to the developer... the custom sound tracks, in game invites (resistance had it) all up to the developer to implement. When you guys talk about the infrastructure it gives the illusion that there's something wrong with the basic playing online portion of PSN. The problem with PSN is that its basic, and it doesn't have the advance feature that the 360 itself adds to life, custom soundtracks, in game messages and in game invites.

once sony has in game xmb... will PSN and XBL be on par with one another? [in terms of getting on line and playing games]

In light of the "He's not black" thread in which someone thought CheapyD, one of the Whitest people in the world, was a black man, has there ever been someone you surprising found out was an entirely different race other than what you pictured in your head after talking to them over Xbox Live or elsewhere? If so, who?

Hey Guys,

Can I ask you to go Pachter for a minute and do some money/analyst type thinking? I heard a while back that Microsoft had slashed the royalties that they're paying to devs who are publishing Live Arcade games. A little while later we see the Penny Arcade game coming out at a before unheard of price. Is there a relationship here?

I don't know if you guys are facebook users but I joined a group celebrating the Cag Cast. ssssoooo. I also found a group that is called The Joystiq Appreciation group. They currently have the most member for a facebook group based on a video game website. WE MUST BEAT THEM. On the Cagcast can you guys announce this so that we can beat the Joystiq group. thnxs

Cheapy and Wombat I have a few points

1. I know you Cheapy love singstar but did you know that there's a new one out here in europe already. Knowing this would you think about getting a european corospondent?

2. How the hell can you Cheapy not watch the 2 greatest sitcoms to ever grace our unworthy eyes, scrubs and two and a half men. I am outraged.

3. Are you disapointed by the lack of funny games out there? Do you think funny movies should be made into games and what company should make them?

Hi CheapyD and Royal Wombat,
This question goes to Wombat. Wombat I go to my comic book shop, but I see too many kinds of x-men, spiderman and batman stories? I don't know which comic book is good to get.

hey cheapy and wombat,

do you think Microsoft's red ring of death problem with the 360 can help countries suffering from high unemployment rates? in that way, people get more jobs and 360s will be returned faster... right? or what?

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

I was wondering if you two share a problem I myself have been experiencing for that last year or so: I often buy and get into games with the best intentions but never end up finishing them. I can see that this can be seen as a simple lack of interest in the game, but this seems to be chronic for me. I can even get a game that I find great like Okami, Resident Evil 4, Eternal Sonata, and every single Zelda game I've ever played -to name very few-; and I end up never finishing them.

So I find myself often looking into the length of single player games keeping in mind that anything over 20 hours may never get finished. My limit seems to be around 15 to 20 hours with any game before calling it quits. But it's strange that in some other games I can spend many hours in without a second thought (ex: 25+ hours in GTA4 so far, and 40+ hours in Skate.), is it just my personal preference? What are some games that you wished you had the will power to finish, to see how it feels to see the credit roll at the end?

Thank you Cheapy and Wombat. I'm not as active of a member in the CAG community as I would like, but I often find myself spending over 6 hours a week listening to new and old CAG casts. Love the show and wish the very best for you and all the CAGs out there.

(((Same Question, but paraphrased for weary eyes--- and eyes that don't want to read a 10 sentence question I spent over 20 minutes composing)))

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

No matter how good the game is, I almost never finish any single player games. While games like Zelda, Okami, Resident Evil 4, and Halo 3 may be great and all, but I never get to finish them because I often get drug into other games before getting to the end. This isn't a simple loss of attention, but a chronic problem for me, and I was wondering if this is a problem for you for some games. Do you avoid games that last too long, knowing that you'll probably never finish it? And are there any games you wish you could just jump to the ending and enjoy the credit roll, feeling a sense of accomplishment?

Thank you Cheapy and Wombat. I'm not as active of a member in the CAG community as I would like, but I often find myself spending over 6 hours a week listening to new and old CAG casts. Love the show and wish the very best for you and all the CAGs out there.

So what is the general attitude about Akihabara. I mean are people scared or is just the same shit different day type of attitude. The only really a story like this would get airtime here is because people would be surprised he wasn't using a gun.

Hey Cheapy & Wombat,

You guys seem to buy a fair amount of games on a weekly basis, but how many games do you find yourself finishing (as in seeing the ending) as compared to games that you are just finished with (as in sent to gather dust on a shelf or be traded in)?

I buy a ton of games and find myself struggling to finish many of them and maintain all other aspects of my life - job, wife, etc.

Hey Cheapy,

We know you are a big Howard Stern fan and it actually comes through on your own podcast delivery style. The way you will start a thought then stop suddenly and say "Look.....blah blah blah". Anyway, you mentioned recently that you wanted to take along your macbook and ipod on your US trip so that you could update your iPod with new episodes of Stern. How are you doing this? He is not on iTunes. I too would love to listen to new Howard Stern shows on my iPod!

Thanks!

Upon opening the latest EGM I thumbed through the pages to see the beginning of an article beginning with this: "So Japan's finally done it. They made a DS game for flamboyantly gay people." The game is titled Duel Love I believe, is there really a large demand for games like this in modern area's of Japan? A game like this wouldn't be looked fondly upon in America. :nottalking:

Cheapy, and Wombat -

From the trailer I just saw from Saint's Row 2, it seems that they are aggressively trying to compete against Grand Theft Auto IV. By now, everyone is used to GTA IV, and their true complaints about the game are starting to come out - in terms of driving, shooting, etc. Also, people have seen all, and done all that GTA has to offer - except for the DLC that's coming for the 360.

Question - Is it better to purchase GTA IV's DLC content [which I believe may cost 40 dollars], or take that money and put it towards Saint's Row 2?

Hey Cheapy and or wombat I was wondering what your top 5 movies are, Im trying to watch one movie every day the entire summer. Sorry if this is a repeat question

How do you balance work and playing video games, or studying (back in the day) and playing video games?

on another completely unrelated note,

Wat nintendo ds games would you consider "must haves" or which ds games would you recomend?

good luck with the kid wombat u rock

Hey cheapy, hey wombat. Cheapy thanks again for the long island meet up, please consider an e3 cag meetup this year if you are not to busy smoking out or getting business done. wombat im the dork who had you sign the ugo t-shirt :) It was very nice meeting you, ship and the other cags.

Anyway I got 2 questions.

1. Have either of you ever gotten so focused in a portable game that you forgot something you needed to do? If so what did you forget? For example I've missed my subway stop a few times on my way home from work from intense games of planet puzzle league or fifa soccer. Wombat commutes a lot and cheapy might do some as well. Just curious if something like this happens to you guys.

2. To the father and soon to be father of the show, would you ever let your children listen to the cagcast? If so how old would you like your kids to be before they got to listen to the cagcast? Im just curious with all the interesting stories you guys share about yourselves if you would want your children to know.

Dear Cheapy D & Wombat,

Question 1: Non gaming and maybe not appropriate for cag-bag

As a CAG member now for a while I have seen a growing trend here on cag and perhaps it is also a statement on society or 'internet society' if you will. Recently, partcilarly relating to the original post about the $100 GC w/ purchase of PS3 at wal-mart, innocent members posting up things they know of, but without scans as proof, has incited alot of ridicule from other CAGs who focus on it and state that they are sure the poster is lying. Nowdays also proof is required for everything moreso than maybe 100 years ago with the increased contact between yourself and more individuals than in the past (due to easier transportation methods, growing metropolises, and of course IT such as the internet and cell phone). I am not here judging, because I also find myself very skeptical whenever I hear anything from someone I don't know that well.

I was wondering what your comment on this was and particularly for you Cheapy in Japan do you find that this is also a trend there? Additionally, do you think that, while this does protect us from the 'bad' people out there, that there are any negative side effects that could later show up in society?

Question 2: More Cag-Bag Appropriate

With the new iPhone and its capabilities to play games, as shown by the near-gamecube graphics of super monkey ball, do you think that this will become a viable mobile platform more-so than previous cell phones?

What's up, Cheapy?

When it comes to awesome Japanese beer, have you tried SAPPORO and KIRINICHIBAN, and can you recommend anything even better?

Wombat,

What PSP or DS game do you plan on taking to the hospital for when your wife is pushing? Also, don't be a sucker like me and hold your wifes legs up, the hospital have nurses for that so you should be able to play a game for the few hours Mrs. Wombat is pushing, after all why should you both suffer?

Hey Cheapy. Hey wombat.

Did you ever think of getting a voicemail for the CagCast? Maybe another way for people to send suggestions or questions?

Hey Wombat
What is the deal with the Red Hulk? Who is this guy. Where did he come from. All that Jazz.

On the same note have you checked out Walking Dead or Invincible? Both are really good and done by the same guy. Great for people not into the normal DC and Marvel stuff.

Hey CheapyD and Wombat, I know you guys like Michael Pachter, but after reading things that he predicts, it seems that he is sometimes off base. What things has he predicted that have actually come true?

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about buying a Playstation 3, but I don't really want to spend the money for one. I'm always seeing those ads that you can get a free PS3 or whatever just by signing up for something. Do you know if those actually work?

Thanks,
ObiBen

Would you guys ever consider a guest host to talk about upcoming RPGs on the CAGcast? I know you guys are not total fans of JRPGS, but i'm sure a large contingent of the CAG community is. Just a thought...

Cheapy and Wombat
If you could make any one change (gameplay wise or game content wise) to a game or any game-genre, what would it be?

Hey, Cheapy and Wombat! What is your take on the buzz surronding Spore? Is it deserving? Are either of you interested in it? Has Will Wright ever even made a game that any of us actually play? Its been like 2 years since the industry started babbling about it, and its still going strong.
Yes, I realize the sims is apparently hugely successful(seriously though, who is buying those games?) I'm not convinced that the people playing the Sims are the type of people following industry news, and reading gaming blogs, yet, it seems that Im always reading or hearing something new about it. Is it irony that I've just contributed to its proliferation? Gah!

bread's done
Back