CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

Whats with the yes on prop 8 ad. Id like to keep politics separate from my game saving site thank you! In case you didnt guess im voting no on that prop(im not gay but i dont think we should take away their rights)

Hey Guys,

Love the show...finally caught up again and its good to know things are still going great. Must admit that Wombat gets things done sometimes, CheapyD complains over not having to work because he doesn't want too...however we as your listeners want to hear of the game previews, reviews and other info we are not fortunate to come across. Something to think about.

We would also like to know of a few good apps for the iphone or itouch ipod. Maybe you could tell us of some good gaming apps that are out there.

Keep up the great work. Thanks.

Sony has been outselling the 360 in the US throughout the entire year... do you Cheapy and Wombat feel that if the 360 has a very strong finish (in terms of console sales / game sales) this holiday season that it will Negate he success that the PS3 has had throughout the year?

My question is a bit long to explain but please bear with me.

As a recent PS3 owner I've been reading up on Sony and it seems to me that Sony is constantly updating. They added trophies, XMB and most recently screen capture but every time they do that people complain that older games don't support the new functionalities right away. Am I the only one who sees this behavior as babyish? There's no reason to expect that old games would support it and yet it seems I'm constantly hearing people get up in arms about it. Sony does a lot of things wrong in my opinion but that's one thing they do right.

If Sony wasn't doing it exactly as they do it then they would be Nintendo with a horrible friend code system that they'll never revamp because it would break old games like SSBB, or Mii's that won't be updated because the new hats or whatever wouldn't be compatible with Wii Sports.
It's the same logic that binds Microsoft to constantly support the :360:s that don't have harddrives rather than just take a leap and ignore them require a harddrive on a game or two.

Am I the only one who is in Sony's corner this one time?

Dear Cheapy,

Is Wombat ticklish? I get all warm inside when I hear his laugh, please make him laugh more!

Thanks!

Hey cheapy and wombat..you guys are close to my age (i think) so you can probably relate. i remember when i was a young whippersnapper my friends and i would always be super envious of the games japan got that we didn't . (especially with rpgs) Living in japan cheapy, do you see the landscape as having changed to where japanese people are at least a bit more lustful (good word) of games developed in america like our western rpgs and shooters? Or do you think japanese people are still hardwired to only really enjoy their domestic games. when i was in japan i pretty much only noticed japanese games but that was 5 years ago before this current generation and the 360. OH.... and love hotels rock...where else can you buy a condom/dildo/and hot CAN of coffee from the same vending machine. love the podcast ill be sure to vote

Hey guys,

Do you think it's possible that Microsoft is making some type of hidden push to get everyone to convert to the new 60GB or 120GB hard-drives? More and more content from Microsoft is being made available for free download rather than being on the disc, such as a code for the revised Gears of War maps DLC being bundled with the sequel, and the Fable 2 Pub Games (if you pre-ordered) which already exist in the full game. More and more features are also making larger a larger HDD almost mandatory, such as the 360's game installation and the new dashboard itself. I just wanted to know if you guys think that there is a possibly of Microsoft secretly trying to force the 20GB HDD owners into upgrading to the over excessively priced new hard-drives by taking up memory with features that should or are already in the actual games.

Good morning,evening or vice-versa Cheapy & Wombat what are your thoughts on the A.I. In Left for Dead contributing to the Co-op replayability? Will either one of you pick it up? I could see why if you didnt, it doesnt seem very family friendly.

This one's for Cheapy...

From everything I've read, and from your recent unenthusiastic unboxing video, it probably wouldn't be worth upgrading to a DSi if I already had a DS lite.

But since I don't have one, and I'm in no rush to get one, do you think it's worth waiting for the DSi to be released?

Do you think the download to hard drive feature on the new dashboard could be an attempt to keep your system from getting the RRoD? If the disc isn't spinning, the lens isn't reading, and the fan isn't cranked up to the max, wouldn't that result in less heat being produced that could warp the graphics chip? The end result could save Microsoft a lot of cash.

Weiners,

What was the most shameful amount of money someone has spent on a game as a gift for you? I mean, clearly spending any money on games for myself brings me a certain sadness considering what I could be spending it on.

As a frame of reference, I once made my dad buy me Streets of Rage 2 for the Genesis. $72. I felt horrible when the purchase was made, and even worse when I beat it in about 4 hours.

Cheapy & Wombat,

So when is CAG looking to start the fund raising for Child's Play this year? I realize money is tight for people right now, but as we have seen in the past, this community reaches deep, and always gives what it can. Also, are we looking to have the game sweepstakes again, I ask because I find myself in possession of two limited edition Gears of War 2 sets, and I wanted to put the none Canadian one up as a prize. I know it is not as big as some of the prizes in the past, but I hope to have more prizes to follow.

So, if you are looking to kick off "Operation Productive Cheapy", please let this project be top priority.

Tiny

[quote name='John Ketch']Weiners,

What was the most shameful amount of money someone has spent on a game as a gift for you? I mean, clearly spending any money on games for myself brings me a certain sadness considering what I could be spending it on.

As a frame of reference, I once made my dad buy me Streets of Rage 2 for the Genesis. $72. I felt horrible when the purchase was made, and even worse when I beat it in about 4 hours.[/quote]
Cheapy buying Wombat a PS3, if anything game related counts . :lol:

hey Cheapy and Wombat. I was wondering with the new dashboard coming out if you guys were gonna host maybe a CAG movie viewing night. Where a few (I don't know how many) CAG's can join a session with you and wombat and watch a movie all together. I know Cheapy that you don't have netflix, but that you might get it because of this awesome feature. Oh and I heard theres a movie you like that you might be able to watch starting with an R (hint hint)

What happened to contests on the CAGcast, you guys used to have one almost every week, any chance of bringing them back?

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

What do you think about the massive deletion of user-created levels in LBP?
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/11/09/littlebigplanet-levels-being-deleted-with-no-warning-or-explanat/

What's the point of a game built around user-created content if they delete any level that resembles an existing IP?

Why do idiot movie goers get crap like Meet the Spartans, but I can't have a LBP God of War level? Aren't both protected by parody laws?

Is LBP just about selling $5 virtual Tshirts, after all?
http://gamesblog.ugo.com/index.php/gamesblog/more/i_have_a_sack_you_can_play_with_for_5_bucks_too/

BAUGHH!!!

Cheapy and Wombat,

With the big announcement of Circuit City filing for chapter 11 protection today, how do you think this will affect Black Friday sales? Does this mean bigger deals from CC to raise capital, or more conservative sales from Best Buy, Walmart etc as they figure people will be gun-shy about buying from a company that may be going out of business?

hey cheapy and wombat, in the past iv heard you talking about being lazy when it comes to gettin up off the couch and puttin a different game into the console(im exactly the same by the way) What i want to ask is how good do you think it would be if sony microsoft or nintendo installed a cd loader like you get on a Hi-Fi unit so you could have your console hold 4 or 5 games at one time and you just select the tray you want to use?

hey guys,

im wondering what you two think about the new resident evil movie, degeneration. Do you think an animated resident evil could even work? I think its neat to see an R.E. movie so much more closely related to the games. Im definitely looking forward to it but how about you two?

Hey cheapy and wombat

I live in Europe Denmark and Rick Band just came out over here and now we have Guitar hero world tour comming in 2 weeks here. I like the game and I have GH 2 and 3. but I don't wanna buy both. witch one do you think will win this fight ? RB og GH world tour. they both look really strong and got a ok set list

Kind Regards

Christophe Fettouhi

MS and Sony are losing money on the sale of their consoles... if they were to extend the life of their products (by holding off on releasing new systems) will it allow them to recoupe the cost of their present loses?

When we do the CAG awards this year can we add the a category of best Cheap Game award... I have to say since Wombat convinced me to buy the Club, I ended up going on a 10 dollar game binge. I bought Conan at 10 dollars, and I bought WALL-E for about 12 dollars (might return that though); but let me say that Conan at 10 dollars has been one of the best hack and slash games I've played in a while... better than golden Axe

Speaking of Golden Axe... the game is already on clearance at Target for 41.58...

How do you guys feel about the state of Video games at this time? Are you satisfied with the games that are being released, the consoles, and the future projects that devs are working on?

BlueSwim has a question...

Cheapy and Wombat,

Do you guys think that this generation of console games lacks the "timeless appeal" of the games
from 15 and 20 years ago?

It seems like the focus with games these days is so heavily centered on the online multiplayer portions that the single player mode, the mode that makes games like Super Mario Bros. 3 and Link to the Past enjoyable nearly 20 years later, is treated like an afterthought or a bullet-point on the back of the box. Games like Shadow of the Colossus, God of War and Persona 3 can be played and enjoyed 10 years from now because the legacy of those games is as a single player experience.

The legacy of games like Call of Duty 4 for example, is as an online multiplayer game. People don't care about COD4's single player anymore, just it's online play. Once companies stop supporting the online portions of today's popular online multiplayer games, their legacy dies since they can't ever be played at that level again. What do you two think?

Keep up the great work!!!
:cool:

As a follow-up to a question posed on the last show, why do gamers at large and game reviewers demand online multiplayer modes in nearly every game when we all know that it'll only be a month before everyone goes back to CoD4 and Halo? Could development resources be better spent elsewhere? Could game prices be lowered by cutting out an arguably wasteful feature?

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

What do you guys think about this recent rash of bannings on Xbox Live just before the new dashboard that seem to be targeting the pirates themselves, taking a lot of them out in one swoop and scaring the shit out of the rest? Some people seem to be claiming innocence and suggesting that the replacement refurbished Xbox 360s could be the cause for innocent bannings, so what's the likelihood that some of these people are innocent and it's actually Microsoft's fault not removing those kinds of systems from the pool that are sent out as replacements?

Cheapy - have you seen the new McDonald's "Quarter Pounder" restaurant in Tokyo? There are supposedly no golden arches or anything brand-wise connecting it to the original McDonald's. I've had McDonald's in Europe and the quality is way better than we get in the US. CHECK IT OUT.

cheapyd and wombat,why do you guys always go by reviews? I noticed you probably won't buy a game if it gets a low score from ign,gamespot,etc

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

Since you guys were shitting on the huge exclusive GTA IV add-on, it made me wonder if this exclusive content has been a complete bust for Microsoft at the moment since the game's fallen out of the limelight during the busy holiday season. The chance for Rockstar to get people back into the game seems to be slowly eroding away as it looks like Rockstar are taking way too long to get it out and capitalize on its success. Do you think a lot of the people that heavily favored the 360 version because of the new episodes will end up not getting it amd negating their whole argument of that being a huge selling point for the game?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the DSi forks the Nintendo handhelds* which do you think they'll keep. Will they abandon the DSi like the virtual boy or will they dump the faithful DS

* with the rumors that some games won't work on both systems and possibly old games won't work on the new DSi

Hey guys,

How do you feel about Mike Capps from Epic stating that another solution to end the used game market is by selling essential, even final levels of games as DLC? He says that an idea that many developers are brainstorming is giving cerain levels of games as free downloadable content to people who purchase the game new, but charging upwards of $20 for those who buy it used. This seems to be a very strange idea that strikes me as going a little too far. When do you think this could happen? How would this affect people who don't necessarily buy used games but rent instead? I bring this up because of the used game market being a major topic in the previous few CAGcasts.

What's up Cheapy and Wombat.

Cheapy, Is it true that Osakans (or however people from Osaka are called) walk faster than any other Japanese? If so, have you ever noticed it while being there?

Keep up the good work guys.

This question is for both of you. What is your absolute best gaming deal you have gotten in your life(software and hardware both count)?

Wombat, while you are my favorite podcast sidekick based on a large rodent, i think you are way off on fallout. You play a survivor in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, i don't think the game needs to be friendly, and i don't think you need to have everything spoon fed to you. It makes sense that the world is a bit more hostile and gritty than something like fable.

Also, the info is all there if you just read a little. The damage and ammo you have left are right there in the description of the weapon. And even if you are too lazy to read the tool tips for the skills when you level up, are you really telling me you can't figure out that "repair" is for repairing your weapons, and "medical" is for healing yourself?

Have either of you guys found Dogmeat, your fuzzy canine companion? It's possible to completely miss him (i went about 13 hours into the game before i remembered you were supposed to get a dog). Definitely go get him right away if you haven't, i think it makes the experience a little less lonely. He is in a town called "scrapyard" which is just south of "minefield" which is a place you will need to go early on for the wasteland survival side quest (it starts with Moria in Craterside Supplies in the starter town).

Thanks guys, I love the show! I'm going to do the netflix trial through cagcast as soon as the NXE comes out.

Hey Cheapy and Wombat, with so many games that came out this month, which games do you find yourself playing the most right now? And which game actually satisfied you and lived up to the hype?

hi cheapy and wombat do you think the global economy and the 'credit crunch' will hit the gaming industry.. maybe it hasnt right now but do you think we will see major developers not wanting to spend as much money on new games and releasing less games in the future?

Hey guys! Joystiq's James Ransom-Wiley wrote an op-ed piece titled "Why I can't go beyond the first 5 mins of Call of Duty: World at War." In it, he asks gamers if "the Nazis transcended beyond historical reality into a mythical 'beast' onto which we can safely project our aggression" and if there is a "danger in that." His article has made its way around the gaming community, and I just wanted to get your thoughts on his thoughts.

What do y'all think of the gaming industry's increasing aggressiveness in trying to limit used game sales? Buy Gears of Wars 2 used you don't get all the maps, buy NBA 2k9 used you lose some online features, and now Nintendo even disables hardware--buy Wii Speak used and it's not gonna work.

I think it displays the industry's raw contempt towards gamers/customers, and just what a demented business this can be.

Cheapy, any chance you'll be attending the all new ScrewAttack Gaming Convention next July? Just think of all those Texan CAGs like Strell you could run into. I'd ask Wombat if he'd go, but he's broke like me now.

Is this thing the cag bag?? (I'm new here) But if so ,Cheapy D what is your feelings on Fallout 3. For me It's my favortie and why does Wombat hype a game up so much in his mind and then soon hate it? Wombat for life.

Hey Cheapy D and wombat. This may not relate to New games in general,But have you heard about a game named Earthbound(Nintendo). Why is nintendo holding back this game from the virtual console.(Now I understand how this cagbag thing works!!!)

Hey guys.

With the holiday season, I am seeking a nice new HDTV, primarily for gaming. Being that I trust you guys, I'd like to know what type of TVs you use for gaming. What would you two recommend for a fully enjoyable HD experience? Also, do you think that TV prices will be cheaper during or after the holiday season of this year?

Thanks, and sorry if this has been asked before. I don't ever remember hearing what you guys use.

Hey cheapy and wombat, I'm also seeking out a nice HDTV this black friday for my PS3. Playing on my 15 year old 14 inch tv is putting my PS3 to shame. After having a 32 inch vizio die on me the day after i bought it, i've been looking for better brands. So far the only black friday deals I've seen are on low budget/no-name brands? If this is supposed to be the season to get HDTVs, why arn't we seeing any high end brands with cheap prices in the stores. As a cheapass college student, my budget is very low.

Dear Cheapy D & Wombat

I have two questions and the first is for CheapyD:

Since their is a myth that Asian's wangs are small, at your (un)sexy love hotel experience in Osaka, did they sell male enhancement pumps/pills in the vending machines that sold sex accessories??

And the second one is for both of you

Since the website is being ran by CheapyD and the name of the web/podcast is cheap ass gamer why is CheapyD not being a cheap ass gamer by buying the overly priced 120gb hdd for xbox, a new ps3 headset and at the same time the co-host Wombat is the real CAG(Cheap Ass Gamer) asking for free stuff and not buying the overley priced 120 gb hdd for the X-box??

Hey Cheapy and Wombat,

It seems that Xbox Live has been acting a bit strange lately with Live signing me out randomly, but with the upcoming launch of the new dashboard, do you guys think Live possibly even going down for hours at a time if Microsoft hasn't properly prepped their tubes for the mad rush of downloads? If you do think Live will be going down, do you think bricking will become an issue that results from the new update tubes being clogged up?

Now that Guitar Hero World Tour is out to compete with Rock Band, do you guys think Red Octane and Activision have done a better job with launching their band game than Harmonix did last year? It seems that their options at the moment are game only, guitar with the game, and the full band kit and no seperate instruments that are made just for World Tour outside of third-party guitars and mics. Reports on customer service broken seems to say it's not as easy to get your stuff fixed as it should be, so it seems like the veteran's having about all of the same issues that the newcomers had last year. Is that a sign that launching this big of a game with so many SKUs and parts is a daunting task or that these companies are slackers?

With the latest NPDs, it seems that Rock Revolution is a failure out of the starting gates, selling only a few thousand copies total on all platforms but the Wii, which didn't come out until November. Is this a sign that half-assing a Rock Band/Guitar Hero rip-off isn't a good idea, even for the publisher that made this genre? Do Harmonix and Activision own this genre as much as EA and Take Two own the sports game genre?

Hey Cheapy and Wombat! Well guess what!? I signed up for the Netflix 10 day trial like you asked us to, well i actually had to ask my parents to switch from Total Acess to Netflix which was hard for me, I mean I'm only 15, well I've been thinking, of course this helps the both of you, but do we get any recognition? I'd promise you that other cags would also love to be thanked! I would also love if you read this for me? My birthday is soon and that would be a marvelous gift!

Keep Up The Great Show!!
-Dylan

hey cheapy and wombat,

let's say wombat goes to japan for a few days. wombat, what would be the first 3 things you guys would do? what would be the last thing you would do in japan?

Cheapy and Wombat:
Have you guys ever bought a game just for the pre-order bonus? I recently bought Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts and wouldn't have even considered it unless I knew I'd just end up buying the original Banjo-Kazooie on the XBLA anyway.
Also, I see Guitar Praise adds running on the site now and I am lawling hard, even if it is just Google Syndication.

Hello folks,

Love the show. Listened since I heard you guys mentioned on MN's show.

Serious Question -

We all know that the big 3 are talking-up all digitial distrubtion as a future model for software, MS especially. This will NEVER take off under the current supposedly 'advanced' broadband companies in the UK - up until about a year ago I was with a company who supplied a 4 meg unlimited download service for 20 quid a month. I had been with the company for 5 years and I was very happy with the service - not a single outage. I could download a full game (8 gig) in around 5 hours. This company was bought over by the evil Virgin Media empire about a year ago who boldly proclaimed they were fitting in brand new superfast fibre optic infrastructure at considerable cost to Richard Branson and giving us all free upgrades - 4 meggers would be on 10 meg for no additional cost, which I a currently am. We all rejoiced. Until we got to the traffic shaping policy which they introduced. That game that took me 8 hours to download now takes me 3 days!!! The first (and probably last) game I downloaded on the new service was Warhamemr Online,
I expected to have it in around an hour, and I had taken time off work to play when it first came out. I was not a happy bunny.

How is it in the US? In the UK we now only have only one provider supplying completely unfettered unlimited download, and certain legislation is being brought in to curb the download usage, AND you need to attach a satellite dish to your house to get it.

Cheers,
Iain
Mentazm (live, psn, steam, xfire)

bread's done
Back