CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

Hey Wombat, how many CAG members came up to you at PAX East? I came up to you right after the Joystiq live show, but I totally forgot to introduce myself as a CAG person sorry. Also can you plug my friend Siobhan Magnus on the show? I'm trying to help her win American Idol.

Question for Cheapy and Wombat. I am planning on filming a documentary on the videogame community called "Offline Multiplayer" next year and would like some input. I know Cheapy is an avid documentary film viewer and Wombat was an "expert" panelist for the 'Online Gaming Communities and "Real Life" Relationships' panel at PAX East this past weekend.

Thanks.

Well done fellas another quality podcast to get me over the commute to work. I enjoy that your game podcast actually talks about games and video game related news. You would be surprised at how pathetic some others are.

Just wondering how you guys complete your games.

I typically focus on one game at a time. It goes in the system and doesn't come out until I've either beaten it or given up.

There are rare exceptions - online shooters and racing games come to mind. But overall OCD makes me play one game at a time.

Hey Shipwreck, Can You Tell People To Add Me As A Friend On The CAG Site? I really have NO friends on here! Thanks and stay up homie!

Username: D1wrestler07
PSN: Deanx07

Hey Cheapy I couldn't help but notice last show you mentioned Glen Cove. Wow I think it's kinda cool you(an internet space pimp) had mentioned it, I live there and I was just wondering at what restaurant did you have your bahmitzfa. Wondering if it's still open. Nothing really big happens in Glen Cove. One more question, do you have an update on that friend of yours that got arrested for going out drunk and naked? Its been a while and im interested in knowing what happened to him.Good work guys i love the show.

-Cheapy
Prediction for what Howard Stern will do once his contract is up? I have a feeling he will be retiring from radio to focus on other forms of media. If he does retire, what will you do now to entertain you in the afternoons?

Dear Wombat, do you think that Chris Evans should dye his hair blond for the role of Captain America?

P.S. I love the Cagcast, it actually makes my train rides bearable!

Wombat,

DC is celebrating their 75th anniversary this year, and Marvel wants to celebrate theirs in a couple of years. DC has been publishing comics consistently since 1935 (as National Allied Publications but changed their name to DC in 1937), but Marvel comics has only been around since 1961 starting with the Fantastic Four. I understand Timely Comics published a comic called "Marvel Comics" and "Captain America". Do you think Marvel deserves to celebrate a golden age of comics?

All three of you own Macs, right? Would you recommend buying one over a PC? I need to buy myself a computer and I'm leaning towards an iMac.

P.S. I don't play PC games either.

Guys,

Given the news Gamsutra broke this afternoon that Ubisoft's Wii exclusive Lets Dance has sold over 2 million units, what does this mean?

Ubisoft had recently said they were moving away from the Nintendo platforms as titles failed to perform.

Can Nintendo legitimately claim that the Wii is a viable console for third party publishers?

Will other publishers see this as a lucky hit with a title that really isn't a game, further cementing the idea that the Wii is a child's toy and not a serious game machine?

I just logged onto CAG and saw that the first article up is accusing me of selling stolen items ... I have NEVER bought,sold or traded an item on CAG before so I am a little confused/upset to see this. Anyone else have this happen?

Screenshot2010-04-02at003717.png

CAG Foreplay, :lol:

no real reason to post this, its almost 01:00am and i'm tired. Actually I think Mrs. Boat should appear on CAG Cast soon. Any plans to get her on soon?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Wombat. It was exciting to here that you're a Sammy too. I was wondering if you could give a shout out to Drexel students to come check out Sigma Alpha Mu since we are doing our rush events right now. If even one additional person shows up because of the Cagcast, it would be a resounding success. and tell them to mention the cagcast when they go.

I am working through the back catalog of CAGCast, I am at #53 :) I like to hear podcasts while I work... And Cagcast is one of the 2 podcasts I love and hear all the time. I have a lot of hours of old material left... I enjoy hearing your prophecies and see whether the future turned our as you guessed, and most times, it did.

Also, while I respect and like Shipwreck, I personally prefer the 2 player version of the CAGCast. It's nothing against Shipwreck, really. Somehow, he brings seriousness to the podcast, and focus, and I can't say that I personally prefer the show that way. I like Cheapy's rants, and Wombat's weird voices, and their chemistry. If you jump from older episodes (like 30 in a row) to the new episodes, it's quite clear (to me that is). Again, I say this with all possible respect for Shipwreck.

I am listening to Cagcast #194. Glad to hear that adventures cross your desks a little more than usual. That's one of the most interesting differences concerning perspective. Where I live, in Germany, adventures exist, and do quite well, reaching the top charts position. I am happy to say that I work for a big adventure right now as composer and sfx designer. That studio got the best studio of 2009 developer award here in Germany, their last game was Top 5, so it's not dead at all here.

Secret files: Tunguska which Wombat mentioned is one of the best-selling adventures in the last years in Germany. It's a very good game I think. Realistic thriller-esque with some humor.

And, you said a Sherlock Holmes adventure would be nice: Did you know, there are half a dozen Sherlock Holmes games out for the PC, the latest one even for Xbox http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-GB/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802464507d3/ Those games are far from perfect but quite stylish, I recommend The Awakened, that's Sherlock Holmes vs. Cthulhu!

AND best of all, a few classic games are out for your Iphone: Beneath a Steel Sky, Monkey Island 1, Simon the Sorcerer, Broken Sword...

Also, just another quick note, people still play PC games here. And Germany's among the top 5 of global games markets. Yes, everyone is angry here about that PC - Assassins Creed disaster, still I had to frown when Wombat asked a few shows back why the hell they made a PC version at all.

So, I sometimes sigh when I hear international podcasts talk about PC games as unrelevant and adventures as dead. Glad that the last part seems to change a little at least, with Monkey Island on the Wii and all.

Sorry, not a question really, but maybe this qualifies as input of SOME sort. That's all I got. Cheers, keep up the good work.

Cheapy,

I was board this weekend and was checking out the first few episodes from when you were still in New York. I thought it was pretty cool to hear all six minutes of the first episode. I figured it would be bad but it was actually pretty good. It was pretty cool to look back and see where we have come from in the gaming world. For example, you where a big fan of the Revolution (Wii) controller and where very meh on the 360 at least at launch. Have you every looked back at all the campaign promises and hype from the pre-launch days and seen which ones were delivered on and which we are still waiting on? What are you still waiting on if anything?

CheapyD and Shipwreck,

I'm hoping both you and Shipwreck can make PAX East next year. All of the other gaming conventions are on the West Coast. PAX East is the only major video game convention I know of on the East Coast. My prediction is that because of this, and given the sheer numbers and ease of access with public transportation on the East Coast, that PAX East will quickly outnumber the PAX West convention. PAX East had 52,290 attendees during its first year. As a comparison, PAX West had 60,750 in its 6th year. It's not going to take long for the son to outdo his father in this case.

Hi! Due to you only giving one show a week ;) I've started to listen in to the older shows you've done. Today i got to episode 104 where Cheapy funny enough predict the PSPgo. He does that point beeing that the PSPgo would be the more successfull way to go for Sony. Now that the PSPgo doesn't seem to have been that big of a success, what do you feel went wrong? Was it to late for the PSP allready?

PS: Have you contacted Sony and asked if you are entitled for royalities? ;)

Best regards
Colgol
A Norwegian listener

Here's a college based question for Cheapy and Ship?
Cheapy since you were in Phi Kappa Tau in college what sort of reputation did they have on campus? Were you guys the fraternity that hazed a bunch? Did you live in a crap hole? Were you called Phi Tau's, or PKTs?

And Ship, what was it like being a Fiji? I've heard good things about them, well at least at the college I went to.

Wombat and Ship, have you guys ever gone to a fraternity alumni event?

Hey Cheapy/Wombat/Shipwreck,

My question is what's up with not being able to put in my Steam ID as part of my user info on the forums? I just signed up on CAG and since I mainly play games on PC (yeah, yeah, no one cares about PC gaming) and since Steam is a pretty big distribution platform (game platform?), I was wondering why there was no space to put in my Steam ID? Thanks, really enjoy the show.

P.S. Cheapy, I heard you say you go swimming after biking to work out. I just recently started swimming to get back in shape too. Just thought that was neat.

P.P.S. [quote name='chrome6boy']I might be your only Indian fan! Love your show, all three of you![/QUOTE]
I am also Indian.

I actaully have an uncle that does a lot of work in wireless technology and regularly makes trips to Korea. He actually brought back a cell phone that does the same kind of 3D that is rumored to be on the 3DS which he demoed for me by showing me some footage of a baseball game in 3D

Cheapy,

Any chance you can spring to get superprogrammer john a Nexus one so he can crank out a CAG app for android? I think he'll need the at&t version for 3g in his neck of the woods

Please have Wombat read the CAGbag letters in the future. I laughed out loud when he was reading them in the voice of the writer. Too funny.

Great show as always. Looking forward to the next one.

Ok, quick question for each of you. If you were stranded on a deserted island and could only have one game, what would it be? More importantly, what game would you NOT bring? It sounds like Just Cause 2 could keep you busy for a while and has some replay value. The Sims would be the closest thing to human contact which you'd be dying for but...ugh! I don't think I could do it. Let me guess, Cheapy - Saints Row or Mass Effect, Wombat - (easy) Oblivion and Shipwreck - Urban Yeti. For games you wouldn't bring; Cheapy - Little Big Planet, Wobmat - Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 and Shipwreck - Treasure World.

Do either of you remember the promise of new DSi games that use the hardware in new and different ways? Now we hear that there's a new DS coming out with 3D. Would you agree with me that the DSi is officially a still-born stepchild, albeit a profitable one for Nintendo. Nobody's going to develop for the DSi with the 3DS around the corner, are they? And anyone who already started is going to look at either scrapping the title or converting it to a 3DS one. Of course there's also the possibility that the 3DS will be stillborn too, with Nintendo too worried that they will segment their market by making games not work on (and thereby not sell for) the DS Lite.

I say f*** Nintendo and Sony and do your mobile gaming on the new iPhone that comes out this summer.

While you guys aren't game reviewers you do have a certain amount of obligation and pressure to play games when they're released if only to tell us (your community) about them.

There is a large part of your community that buys games later than the crowd. It's practically the basis for your site. The fact that I play the hottest and latest games of Summer 2008 saves me a lot of money.

While my case is extreme have you guys considered the possibility that your complaints about DLC being too late might be largely influenced by your early adoption? I'm sure there are CAGs who wouldn't buy any game released in the last six months w/o a $30 gift card but Mass Effect which is barely 3 months old is getting raked over the coals for being to slow with it's DLC. I'm sure with it's January release date there's a lot of gamers out there who won't even get the game for a few months to come much less completed it.

hey guys,

i was wondering what your opinion is on the growing trend is 3d movies and soon to be 3d games, do you guys think that 3d gaming will undoubtedly raise prices in games and push away current gaming customers? also i want to say that shipwreck is the real star of the CAG and the most Underrated cag member

How about a return of the HypeWagon? And for a bonus: has anything fallen *off* the Hypewagon recently? For example, I was really excited for the new Splinter Cell, but after the demo I will be passing on it.

I'm pretty surprised I haven't seen a CAG iPhone app yet. Given the functionality of the site I'd gladly kick back a couple of bucks for one; is there any plan to release one soon? Apologies if you get asked this often, I haven't heard it mentioned recently.

Hey Cheapy/Wombat/Shipwreck

Will you be buying Crysis 2? After the news that Crytek UK will be "making the gameplay unique to both the console and PC versions." does it make any of you want to actually buy the game. Do you think it will break the total domination of Modern Warfare 2, or do you think that the game will not break the hold in the market.

As an avid listener of the CAGCast i'd like to hear my name on the show :D Hey Ship, Cheapy and Wombat.

Cheapy-

About 53 podcasts ago you mentioned that you listen to Howard Stern on your (i)phone(?) when you walked your kid to daycare. I got an ipod touch and can not figure out how to do it since it does not support flash and the app Sirius has does not let people listen to Howard Stern. Where you able to do this on an iphone and if so how?

[quote name='Davestation']Cheapy-

About 53 podcasts ago you mentioned that you listen to Howard Stern on your (i)phone(?) when you walked your kid to daycare. I got an ipod touch and can not figure out how to do it since it does not support flash and the app Sirius has does not let people listen to Howard Stern. Where you able to do this on an iphone and if so how?[/QUOTE]

he probably pirates it, its hilarious u brought this up, because i just finished listening to that specific cast, was so disgusting where tai throws up all over himself, i was eating a hot pocket while listening to that one i almost threw up myself.

[quote name='Davestation']Cheapy-

About 53 podcasts ago you mentioned that you listen to Howard Stern on your (i)phone(?) when you walked your kid to daycare. I got an ipod touch and can not figure out how to do it since it does not support flash and the app Sirius has does not let people listen to Howard Stern. Where you able to do this on an iphone and if so how?[/QUOTE]

Go to the app store and search "Radio".

You will need a constant internet connection to do this, and most radio apps cost about £2

I've noticed what I consider to be bizarre behavior that people engage in when it comes to spending MS points in the Xbox Live Marketplace. On a number of forums that I visit I see people looking for help spending their points. They're aren't usually looking for content recommendation, but for price help. These people can't stand having oddly numbered point totals, so they try to find items that will even out their totals or zero them out. For example, If they have 800 points and buy DLC that costs 560 points ($7) they'll have to get rid of the remaining 240 points. I've seen people purchase 1600 point cards, buy a 1200 point game, and then immediately try to get rid of the remaining 400 points because they want a zero balance.

This seems crazy to me. They're throwing away real money on themes and gamer pics they don't want because they want their point total to look a certain way. I treat my points like real money, because it has value like real money. Why wouldn't someone want to keep their balance so they don't need to buy as money points in the future? I wouldn't go to a store and hand the clerk a $20 bill for a $7.50 item and then refuse all but the $10 in change. I wouldn't throw in some crappy impulse items from the register to get my total to a round number. Do any of you do this with your MS points or have any insight into this? I don't understand it at all.

Short version:

Do you think it's odd when people try to use up their "leftover" MS points by buying stuff they don't want, either to hit a multiple of 400 points or zero their account? I think it's like throwing away money, but some people hate having oddly numbered balances. Do any of you do this or have any insight into this behavior?

Hey, Ship! Could you please mention more games that Mrs. Ship likes playing from time to time that aren't big hits like ME2? She seems to have similar gamings tastes to my fiancee and I'm trying to get her more into gaming so any ideas on new games would be VERY helpful! Thanks a lot!

Hilarious podcast, loved the bit about Cheapy's poop problem. Brings me onto the topic; Which podcasts do you guys listen to apart from the mainstream ones?

I have a recommendation, the "Two Chimps on a Davenport" podcast by the guys at Next Gen Walkthroughs. It's equally as hilarious as you guys, and that's how I found out about you guys.

Also are houses in Cincinnati actually $60,000?

By the way your situation (Thursday recording, Monday release) reminds me of an episode of Top Gear. You guys should check it out, a British Motoring Show that is, quite literally, the funniest show out there.

Just finished listening to CAGcast #195, great job as always. I am still a bit confused about what day it is, err I mean was, umm or what ever.

I would imagine the problem when CheapyD is not the size of the dump but the size of those japanese toilets. Maybe I have missed it but I haven't heard any storys from Cheapy on the public restrooms in Japan yet. Every time I talk to someone who has visited Japan the first thing they always talk about are the public restrooms.

Cheapy, Wombat, and Boatcrash,

I was recently downloading DLC for my orig XBOX and was struck with how much of the stuff was absolutely free. I can't remember that it always was, but since I had already downloaded much of it and am a CAG, I think it was. I really hate that they started charging for every little map and shirt just to nickel and dime us.

Shipwreck, have you checked out Resonance of Fate? Seems interesting.

Are you guys going to buy Final Fight: Double Impact? on XBLA

What is your favorite arcade game that multiple people could play? I loved Sunset Riders, TMNT, and The Simpsons. Hell, just about any beat em up. the Dungeons and Dragons one was great.

Toilet Crysis was my first CAGCast and I can say I will definitely be listening from now on.

1. Some FYI regarding the woman with the toilet paper hanging out of her clothes -- that usually happens when a person puts TP down on the seat so they can sit on it. The TP was stuck to her, not so much stuck in her @$$.

2. Would you guys consider the Left 4 Dead franchise dead? It seems like Valve rushed L4D2 to the market, and the popularity for the games have just plummeted ever since. Also, the latest L4D2 DLC is coming out (at some point), and they're killing off one of the original L4D1 members which to me sounds like a huge mistake with the fans. Do you feel there will be a future for L4D? Or does nobody even care because Portal 2 is coming out later this year?

3. Has the Yakuza ever tried to recruit CheapyD? Also, any predictions on what the next Japanese Summer Pepsi flavor will be?

Dear Shipwreck,
Now that you own a Donkey Kong arcade machine, what's next for the Shipwreck arcade? A Lightgun game perhaps?

Cheapy, don't worry, I've been clogging up toilets for 20 years!

Here's a tip that may help. Take your dump as much as you can get out. This next part is very important. Don't wipe. Flush first. What I call a; Mercy Flush. After the flush, if your all threw shitting, wipe and flush the paper separately.

What I've learned over the years is, most toilets/sewer systems can't handle monster dumps and toilet paper at the same time.

Love the show, Slick62

Hey guys,

we know that CheapyD hates to change discs... There is a trend that Xbox 360 games get bigger MB-wise, do you fear that you have to switch discs in the middle of the game more and more? Possibly 3 or 4 discs?

I have installed Mass Effect to play from the harddrive, still it asks me for disc 2 from time to time, and what's even better, my new copy of Mass Effect came with a apparently "unreadable" disc 2. I can only load save games which use disc 1, and then fly into disc 2 region. Disc 2 works fine then! But if I load a save game from the disc 2 part of the game, or even die and resume while disc 2 is in use, "your disc is unreadable" comes up, exit to dashboard. *gr+#@l#!"

Do you think that one of the few arguments against PC gaming (no installations) is slowly becoming obsolete, if I have to install the stuff on my 360 beforehand to avoid the loud disc drive, and I have to switch discs during play on top of that? Is the console "quick start" benefit only a myth since cartridges have faded away?

Big ups from the Queen City,

It would be great if you goys could discuss your respective "Greatest moments" in your personal gaming lives. Just a perspective on those distinct times that make us all love gaming. Please include discuss what was going on in your personal lives (i.e. Shipwreck was going through puberty, Wombat was deciding to go ahead and marry a woman instead or Cheapy was is contract negotiations with the devil to make a living from CAG). This can be a time period, a specific night or event.

One personal example:

The year was 2002. I was a college graduate and still afraid of another terrorist attack. I was working at Dave & Busters, and training to be a manager at a local chili parlor. I had been a die hard Goldeneye fan, and hadnt found another shooter to satiate my craving. I had been reading about game coming out for the PS2 called S.O.C.O.M. I picked it up the day of launch and 1:00 in the afternoon. I sat down and was about to have my first experience with an online shooter (I missed the whole pc world of gaming). I logged in, had to immediately shit due to excitement, took care of that, then didn't stop playing for another 18 hours. I met my clan members a day later and they are close friends to this day. I played SOCOM about 40 hours a week, in addition to my 40 hour a week job, so needless to say...I did not have a girlfriend at the time. To this day I still have dreams about my favorite maps, and rounds where I killed the entire opposing squad to the cheers of my clan.

Thanks guys, Shipwreck is a great addition, perhaps you guys could have a segment that Mrs. Ship does an NPR style segment. Just a thought.

Thanks guys keep up the good work.

MyopicProphet

bread's done
Back