CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

Hey CD, WB and SW!

Is there a reason RAGE has been getting an insane amount of E3 Awards this year? For instance, GT.com gave it best PS3, 360, PC game and Game of the Show. I was AT E3 and saw very little on the title and am sad that I must have missed the free RAGing handjobs behind closed doors.

So were the hj's the best ever? Or did you guys miss the sultry Russian woman hand massage because she was on break eating Borshch? Because from the videos I've seen, I'm missing the appeal...

What was shown?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello CheapyD,

How come Tai wouldn't say "Percy gets me into trouble?" I don't understand.....

P.S. Congrats Wombat, you really look like you've lost a lot of weight.

:hot:My local (Cincinnati area) COSTCO had a pallet of xbox 360s in stock as of close of business on 7/3. (Only a few dollars off retail & I did not notice any of the typical bonus items you normally get at COSTCO. )

Hey Cheapy, Shipwreck, and Wombat,

How much do you think the pretty 3D screen in the 3DS will change the way most games control on the 3DS compared to the DS? Most of the DS games I've played have had the action on the bottom screen as I either use the touch screen or face button to play, but it seems like that may change on the 3DS since those games will be focused on the top screen to take advantage of the new 3D screen. Even trying to use the touch screen could bring up the issue of forcing your eyes to switch back and forth between 3D and non-3D screens quickly.

Do you think that Microsoft has gone a bit overboard with the SKUs even with the new Xbox 360 that seems to be giving retailers a lot of consoles to try to sell? While picking up Read Dead Redemption at Best Buy today, I noticed the mountain of new Xbox 360s weren't the only versions of the system they had. At about 10-15 of each SKU, they both the base Elite and Arcade versions, the Splinter Cell Conviction and Final Fantasy XIII Elite Bundles, and the Spring Arcade bundle with Viva Pinata and Banjo-Kazooie. That's about 50 other Xbox 360 systems between $150 and $350 that now have to compete with the new 250GB, WiFi-enabled system that towered over that section of the department. Even when people criticized Sony for having two or three SKUs at once, it wasn't this busy and I can't imagine that the store manager is pleased to have all of these systems to sell that will probably stagnate for a while. Should they have followed Sony's lead last year and have some sort of drought to get rid of the old stock before introducing the new redesign that takes its place? Now it seems like anybody that's interested in an Xbox 360 should wait it out to see if the stores get desperate enough to throw more stuff in with the systems as they try to clear them out.

Hello Cheapy D, Wombat and Shipwreck I was wondering if Cheapy could tell us wishing to live in japan how long it took him to become a Japanese citizen

Taking the price of the peripheral out of the picture, would Kinect integration make you interested in playing more real time strategy games, considering that the major factor holding RTS games on consoles is the limitations of a controller. I believe that RTS's could be the genre that hooks enthusiast gamers onto the Kinect.

What do you guys think about buying games at release as opposed to waiting a few weeks? It seems almost all new games can be had for substantially less if you wait a couple weeks out of release. it's stupid for anyone to buy a game at release date.

Question for the trio,

How much of an impact do you think the "OnLive" gaming service will be to the gaming industry?

As an avid PC gamer, this is almost a dream come true. Not only could this save money on hardware upgrades but the fact that I could hop on almost any decent web capable device and play the latest games instantly is pretty amazing.

Thanks all.

I can't remember if it was CAGCAST 203 or 202 but you brought up your love of Fable 2 again. I recently purchase this game used at Gamestop for $15 dollars and was so excited to play it. EVERYBODY, not just you, seemed to gush over this game. However, I find this game totally boring. There are too many tedious things to do and the game started out with a bang but now it just seems like boring minigame after boring miniquest. The game seems to have many glitches and the frame rate dips frequently. I also find the combat to be pretty unsatisfying. Does the game get better? I say I have put may be 5 hours into it? May be more?

Who knows, may be it's just not for me. I may not ever get back to playing the game. I bought Borderlands on the Steam sale for 10$ and i can not stop playing it (I would say Borderlands is one of the best games of this console generation).

[quote name='Ultramontane']Question for the trio,

How much of an impact do you think the "OnLive" gaming service will be to the gaming industry?

As an avid PC gamer, this is almost a dream come true. Not only could this save money on hardware upgrades but the fact that I could hop on almost any decent web capable device and play the latest games instantly is pretty amazing.

Thanks all.[/QUOTE]

I have access to Onlive right now and I have to say its amazing. However, I never use it because I am always on WIFI (you have to be connected to the internet by cord to turn live on). If they made if accessible over WIFI, I would be in no doubt! Would take the worry out of wondering what games run on my computer.

[quote name='Imallvol7']I have access to Onlive right now and I have to say its amazing. However, I never use it because I am always on WIFI (you have to be connected to the internet by cord to turn live on). If they made if accessible over WIFI, I would be if no doubt! Would take the worry out of wondering what games run on my computer.[/QUOTE]

I was a little sceptical at first about OnLive, and after trying it today I have some new opinions on it. Right now it is still a little bit out there, with blurry graphics and some latency issues here and there along with the no wifi problem. BUT, after trying it out I am still pretty amazed. With a little work this could turn into something extraordinary, and the $5 a month they want to start charging next year is cheap considering we won't have to be buying a really expensive PC. I look forward to PC exclusives such as Civilization and some of the other games to eventually show up on OnLive. Over the next few months I can see them improving their hardware, allowing wifi, and eventually fixing the graphics problem. I am excited to see what this brings in the future and I think I will buy a game or two to give them my support. I hope this becomes successful.

This question is for Wombat.....for ever, you have been preaching for a Twisted Metal game on the PS3. How excited are you that Sony is finally producing this game? Also, what are your thoughts on the awful G4 interview at E3 with Olivia Munn and David Jaffe with the penis questions?

Cheapy, when is the last time you actually played a Wii game? I regularly hear you discuss PS3 and 360 games on the show, but when the discussion turns to the Wii, you seem to go mute. Even when an occasional Wii game garners high praise from the critics, you seem uninterested. Have you completely given up on the system? It seems you've also recently abandoned the DS. What does Nintendo have to do in the next console round to get Cheapy back?

CAGCast Crew: Thanks for notice last week, I hope I got this one in on time.

As I was looking at the Xbox Marketplace I noticed that NCAA Football 11 had day 1 DLC that basically amounted to cheat codes. I popped over to Joystiq to read a review and they didn't even mention it (I know they didn't have access to it, but the DLC went up the same time as the review). I know you guys don't did sports games too much and DLC and EA bashing is old hat, but come on, one of those packs is $30! That's half the price of the game! I'd like to at least hear you guys discuss it or you thoughts on it. Keep up the great work on the CAGCast.

Hey Cheapy, Shipwreck, and Wombat,

What do you think of the news that the Destination Arcade app will only be available for the five weeks that Summer of Arcade lasts? It doesn't make sense that they'd spend time making an app that would make it easier to find good XBLA games and then kill it before it even launches.

Do you think that the overall disappointment with Crackdown 2 is due to the first game being released at the right time as the first successful sandbox game of this generation? Since then we've had several other sandbox games that have done their own things (Saint's Row 2, Red Faction Guerilla, Infamous, and Just Cause 2) and seeing that the game that preceded them comes back with largely the same experience that doesn't stand out anymore. Even Just Cause 2 seems like a more advanced version of Crackdown with a larger space to explore and more collectibles to find.

Hi guys, I have a questions for the three of you. As you likely know, GameStop had the Red Dead Redemption one hour sale last week. Like many people, I spent the entire hour trying to get on the website. When I finally could log on and add RDR to the cart, GameStop changed the website so that it automatically removes it from your cart when you check out. Although gamestop said that they were going to make things right, they did nothing to the average Joes like me. Can I get your thoughts? Do you think I should still have faith in GameStop again?

Many thanks, keep up with the great work guys.
dtipIconHover.png

over the last 5 years i have heard about your experiences with trade-ins in the usa. it seems that you aren't really guaranteed the full game e.g only getting the the disc with no box or instructions and it is only now that full games are getting guaranteed by game stop and the like. in the uk i have only seen a few shops with games that don't have instructions and a box, why do you think the us game market is behind the uk in quality of trade-ins

I highly recommend Blur. I picked it up for $10 also, best $10 i've ever spent. I wouldve paid $60 for it, had I the money. But I dont, thats why i'm a CAG.

Hey Cheapy,

Will we ever seen any features on the site for arranging online games between CAGs? It seems all that we can do is have someone create a thread as the 'home' for a CAG night for the particular game. I think at a minimum a platform specific calendar would be welcome. Clan support would be next. Just something where someone can say, "hey, gonna be online tonight playing Red Dead Redemption. Anyone want to join?" But in a persistent place, not just a rapidly disappearing thread.

I just think it is too bad that it seems so many CAG game nights fall apart because the original poster disappears or because there are no tools to make meeting up with CAGs on PSN or Xbox Live easier.

Thanks. Love the site and the CAGCast!

Dr. Strangepork

Hey guys, I was wondering if you're going to buy Fallout New Vegas at launch or wait for the inevitable "Game of the Year" edition that seems to follow every Bethesda published game?

Question for Cheapy and Shipwreck. First, Cheapy, obviously, you buy a ton of games for your enjoyment and to add to the podcast discussion. Being in Japan, do you eventually trade them in or keep them to add to the horde?

As for Ship, you get a ton of games for reviews. I have thought often on how you could make a killing on Goozex flipping them after a review. Would you consider that unethical to do after you received an early copy from the publisher?

Hey Ship,
A few shows back you mentioned your hilarious DoA Xtreme Beach Volleyball List. Have you made other crazy lists besides this one? Like you, I have some pretty ridiculous OCD tendencies. Most notably, I meticulously maintain a Google Doc with every console, game and peripheral I own. I used to color code it but this got out of hand. Objectively, I think whole list making this is Shaq-fu-ing crazy of me to do, but damn it feels right!

Keep up the great work guys. I've been listening for exactly one year, and the show keeps getting better!
BigReub

P.S. Bring back the live show!

Yo Cheapy,

We got a fellow CAGGirl (kissfuldreamer) running to be on Season 2 of the Playstation Tester. She already did really well in the first round of voting and she needs more votes in round 2. I think it would be neat to get another CAG on another reality show (maybe this time win... Jim...). So what do you say? Promote a fellow CAG?

http://casting.thetester.com/Cheska19

That's the link to vote.

One comment and one question for you guys.

When you guys talk about a game you'll say the name of the game right when you start talking about it, then for the rest of the conversation refer to it as "the game" or "it". I often find myself not knowing what game you're talking about because I'll miss the name the one time you say it then have to go back to find out what you're talking about. If you guys could mention the name of the game a little more often while discussing it, I think it'd be helpful for those of us who are multi-tasking while listening, or are just ADD.

Why is it that the summer is such a dead season for video game releases? It seems like it would make sense for more games to have summer releases with so many gamers being students who have more free time during the summer.

Last thing, Womberto should become a regular on the Cagcast.

Hey Cheapy now that you mentioned your macmini again, how did it work out? Now that the new macminis have HDMI ports I'm thinking of using one as a home theater pc.

I hate to bring back the past but this question pertains to CAGcast #204 one of the topics of discussion was Wombat championing CheapyD's idea that Fatalities could be done via Quicktime Event.

The idea of simplifying isn't necessarily a bad idea but when it's over done I think it kinda kills the joy of skill. For instance Prince of Persia didn't let you die and that game is now 50cents trade-in-value (in Canada at least) presumably because no one wants it. When you suggest that fatalities be done via quicktime events in an 'easy mode' what incentive is there for someone to actually learn the fatality combo. At that point it seems to me you might as well just make it all easy mode and not bother with button presses. From there it's a slippery slop to not even having the QTE and just selecting from a quick radial menu (Fatality/Babaility/Beastality/etc).

As a sort of alternative to your suggestion, would you instead be still interested in a Mortal Kombat where, in easy mode, you get say an 80% Fatality
and if you learn the moveset you get the full thing. For instance Sub-Zero might freeze then punch an opponent to pieces in easy mode but if you do the moveset he freezes, pulls out the heart and crushes IT into pieces.

Cheapy, do people ever mistake you for other bald white guys? I am asking because my sister sees pictures of you and gets you confused with MC Frontalot and Pitbull and I think it's odd.

Cheapy & Ship, on your recommendations I picked up Alan Wake last week. It is a great game. It has one of the best if not the best stories every for a video game in my opinion.

I would like to hear you guys give your take on the ending, more specifically your theories of what things meant (the ocean comment, the second Alan Wake, etc.).

Also, don't you think if they ever made a movie based on the game that Wombat would be great for the role of Barry?

One last question for Wombat, what year did you graduate from Pitt? My wife and I are class of 1997.

Thanks Guys!

Gentlemen, do you think that the games in the Summer of Arcade would have a $15 price tag if they came out any other time of the year?

Wombat are you upset that you are missing Comic-Con right now? Do you guys think there will be any new announcements made there regarding video game news? Also, how do you guys feel about Scott Pilgrim vs The World, the movie and the game?

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Cheapy, do people ever mistake you for other bald white guys? I am asking because my sister sees pictures of you and gets you confused with MC Frontalot and Pitbull and I think it's odd.[/QUOTE]
MC Frontalot
10813.jpg

Pitbull however I don't get. He's a smallish cuban rapper.
pitbullrap13.jpg

Cheapy, you mentioned a couple of podcasts ago that you are unable to watch hulu in Japan and you have tried various anonymous IP browsing services but hulu can still detect you are in an incorrect region. Well I live in the UK and I use an application called hotspot shield. http://www.hotspotshield.com/ I use it on my iMac and am able to watch everything on hulu. I'm guessing it will work exactly the same for you in Japan and this is just to let you know you can still enjoy great American TV :) Let us know if it works!

You also mentioned in a podcast about a UK version of the CAGcast. This sonds like a brilliant idea and would love to help. I used to run my own gaming podcast and would love to be part of a British CAGcast :) I know these weren't exactly questions but just heads up :D Much love to you and the CAG team :bouncy:

I recently got decided to buy Burnout Paradise despite the fact that I got bored of it awhile back. Despite my first impression of the game, I actually now really like it. Oddly enough, the same thing happened to with Mass Effect, I got bored of it and stopped playing and came back to it a few months later and it turned out to be one of my favorite games on the 360. Has there ever been a time when any of you didn't like a game at first, but then went back to it and you ended up really liking it?

Hey guys, when you get review copies or code for a game, do you look at the instruction manuals/screen before playing a game you are about to review or do you just play and hope you'll pick it all up before you finish?

Cheapy/Wombat/Ship

I was searching for stuff on the next Elder Scrolls and I see that Oblivion made the top ten for the last decade by CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming.gadgets/06/15/best.video.games.decade/index.html

What do you guys think about this top ten list and/or what would be your top ten for the last decade?

Also, it seems that Bethesda is focusing on Fall Out a lot more and Elder Scrolls has taken the backseat. Have you guys heard anything about a sequel? What would you like to see in the sequel? Plus it's been forever since Wombat has mentioned Oblivion :)

Hey Cheapy,

I stopped paying attention to gaming company stocks years ago as the market never seems to trend with sales and large announcements, but I've actually come across analysts talking about the release of Starcraft 2. Considering that the entire country of South Korea will buy the game, I took a chance and added a couple hundred to my portfolio. I’m pretty happy to see that it's gone up from my buying price of $10.40 to $11.81. I think you mentioned before that you invest in gaming companies.. have you found that wall street is now looking at those stocks more closely? Have you ever experienced a huge bump in stock price with a large announcement or release? It looks like Blizzard Activision stock dropped upon the release of Modern warfare 2, and the partnering announcement with bungie. Maybe the market is still clueless.

Is too much emphasis placed on reviews and not enough on recommendations?

The openning sentence of IGN's review of Deathspank is 'Every RPG has a hero.'

I stopped reading it immediately and scrolled down to find the score. It got an 8.5 and I took that to mean they recommend I buy it if I'm a fan of the genre.

All I want is to be briefly told about the gameplay, standout features and why the reviewer either does or doesn't recommend I buy it.

Do you really want any more out of reviews than this?

The Dr Who PC game was made available to the US this week. Being in your mid thirties, where you remember a time before massive cable and PBS was one of your four choices in television, did any of you grow up as a Dr Who fan? Also, are any of you a fan of the current BBC series?

Heya Cheapy D, Wombat, and Shipwreck! ^_^

I read Wombat tweet not too long ago about avatar awards on how they are vastly superior than just getting an achievement and I wholehearted agree with him but would like to know:

What your opinion on avatar awards? Does the purchases of avatar "outfits" just defeats itself by having avatar awards given out by playing the game?

Does the promise of having avatar awards just make the game purchase sweeter or easier to lock in a purchase when you're thinking about buying a certain game?

Hope to hear your thought about this.

These are my thoughts on the avatar "outfit": I believe that it should of been a bonus for purchasing the game cause its literally free advertisement for the game makers cause it directly shows to the gamer market that:

1) You purchased the game and your happy enough about your purchase that you willing to shill for them by wearing the bonus avatar gear

2) Want your XBOX 360 Live friends to highly consider the purchase of said game in order to play MP along with them

Anyway just my point of view on avatar awards.

If I may, a shoutout my friend Token2k6 and thread masters Nebenator and dmzauk on making CAG more awesome everyday!

Keep being awesome fellas! ^_^

PS to CheapyD, I PM'ed you the same questions to you but I realized that posting in CAG Bag the question will probably best way to get your podcast crew.

Hey CheapyD, Wombat and Shipwreck,

next to being a Cagcast fan, I happen to be somewhat professionell in the games biz. I will be at the GDC Europe + Gamescom in Germany. Gamescom has been the biggest game expo of the world last year.

My question: Anything you want me to check out for you? Anyone I should track down for you and ask something? I can quickly forward info to you so you have it fast :)

Congrats to Wombat for turning down Gamestops opened copy of Darksiders, many a Gamestop employee had looked at me sideways for turning down the last copy of an opened game but I refuse to pay full price for what is essentially a used game, I don't care if you tell me nobody played it out of the plastic isnt new.

bread's done
Back