CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

Cheapy D,

This is an old topic that you have talked about several times before, but I was wondering have you ever tried Rossetta Stone to learn Japanese? You wouldn't have to worry about being left behind in a class of more advanced students.

Or you could always sit in on Tai's classes when he starts kindergarten.

Game Show Games

Hi Cagcast Crew,
Your recent talk of ‘game show’ games has had me thinking about using voice recognition in games like Family Feud and Jeopardy. With something like the Kinect around, do you think developers will actually make use of this? And would it make you more interested in these extra devices if games like this were released? It seems to me that voice recognition technology is easily at the point which these types of games can make use of this…

Hey Cagcast guys,

Been a member for years but only a listener for a few months. This is the only podcast I actually listen to on a regular basis!

My question is about Alan Wake. Like you guys, I'm a huge fan and try to spread the word about it. I started thinking about the episodic release of Fable 2 a year ago (maybe?). Do you think an episodic release for Wake would have gotten better sales for the game? Like, if they made the first episode free, then every subsequent episode 560 points. Hell, even 800 wouldn't be ridiculous in my opinion. They could have really played up the cliffhanger aspect of each episode and have a release every two weeks or something. Could this work for the sequel?

Hey guys, I was wondering what you each thought of the fans being able to decide the new Carmine's fate in Gears of War 3 by buying avatar t-shirts/real t-shirts? Is it a cheap ploy to try to keep the game fresh in the minds of fans until April next year or is it a sincere attempt to let the fans get involved?

And Wombat, do you think like this is like voting on whether or not Jason Todd should die all over again? That's the first thing that sprung to my mind.

Any news on the UK release of Death Smiles?
And Wombat, are you excited about the Ratchet and Clank comics?

You guys touched on this a little last week. My niece loves games and I even bought her an arcade stick. She loves to play Galaga Legions since there's no pressing buttons to fire. And this Xbox Live Indie game for toddlers called KissyPoo. (Try it with Tai and Sabrina!) Pac-Man is a little tough for her. What 360 games would you recommend for a 3-year old?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEhWA0ejiLs&feature=player_embedded

Last edited by a moderator:
A question for Cheapy,

You've mentioned that you have back hair and go swimming at the gym. Do you have any great tips for helping to trim back hair similar to your suggestions for cleaning up your head?

My back looks like someone super glued a bath mat to it and I recently moved to a city where going to the beach is popular. I'm trying to think of ways to hang out with my friends without revealing my true them wookie like appearance. Thanks!

Good Games that I “can’t” play

Hi Cagcast Crew,

Due to your recent positive reviews of 2010 fisrt and third person shooters like Alan Wake, Singularity, and Metro 2033, I was excited to play something besides MW2 and Halo. Unfortunately none of these games have options for alternate control schemes! For people who play with Legacy or Southpaw style controls, there are fewer and fewer releases each year! Why is this happening? I always check on alt-gamer.com to see the control options before purchasing a game because I have been fooled before.

Do you think developers lose significant sales from people who won’t play default controls? I wonder if there is significant development time tied up to changing a two or three control schemes.

So many games come out with overwhelmingly bad reviews. Why don't publishers go to reputable game reviewers, about 6 months in advance of the release date, and just ask them what the game needs, and what can be polished?
This could probably fix a lot of things that are minor annoyances in good games, and instead make them great games.

After seeing this topic discussed on Kotaku, I felt that it would make a great question for the CAGcast.

What are some of the most popular games that you have never played?

[quote name='Mindzeye82']A question for Cheapy,

You've mentioned that you have back hair and go swimming at the gym. Do you have any great tips for helping to trim back hair similar to your suggestions for cleaning up your head?

My back looks like someone super glued a bath mat to it and I recently moved to a city where going to the beach is popular. I'm trying to think of ways to hang out with my friends without revealing my true them wookie like appearance. Thanks![/QUOTE]

MANGROOMER!

http://www.amazon.com/MANGROOMER-Yourself-Electric-Back-Shaver/dp/B000HQ0L2E

I was wondering if you are ever going to do your Lunch with CheapyD on your youtube channel?I really liked watching the few you have but it'd be awesome (kinda) if you could do more.

Cheapy, you mentioned a couple of podcasts ago that you are unable to watch hulu in Japan and you have tried various anonymous IP browsing services but hulu can still detect you are in an incorrect region. Well I live in the UK and I use an application called hotspot shield. http://www.hotspotshield.com/ I use it on my iMac and am able to watch everything on hulu. I'm guessing it will work exactly the same for you in Japan and this is just to let you know you can still enjoy great American TV Let us know if it works!

You also mentioned in a podcast about a UK version of the CAGcast. This sonds like a brilliant idea and would love to help. I used to run my own gaming podcast and would love to be part of a British CAGcast I know these weren't exactly questions but just heads up Much love to you and the CAG team

When will we get a clip show of episodes 102-200? Or will cheapy's laziness prevail and we will never receive one?

This question's for Shipwreck:

Several episodes ago you mentioned Alpha Protocol, and if I'm not mistaken, you talked about wanting to replay the game in a different way to see what had changed. Having played the game once myself, I was really impressed with how well the game seemed to respond to my choices. I was wondering what your second experience was like, and how much it differed from your first. Are the differences significant enough to warrant a second playthrough? Any other thoughts on the game?

I'd also like to thank you for recommending it. I would have passed it up otherwise, but I was interested after hearing you discuss it. Aside from really frustrating boss fights and some other questionable game mechanics, the story and choices really made the game worth it.

So no podcast because Wombats computer broke. Come on guys, just do it without him. I know he is big part of the show and I love him but you still have two other people. As long as there are any two of you guys the show should go on.

Hey Wombat,

On the L.I. episode of Man vs. Food, did he get to go the Waffle House in Oceanside on Long Beach road? Is that place even still around? I remember going there back in the High School days and the cooks used to smoke while preparing the food - it was a damn mess but cheap as hell. The food would make me sick but for some reason we kept going back.

Hey, CAG guys. I love the site and the show, been with you for 2 years now and never missed a CAGCAST. I was wondering if you guys could give me a little help. I just went through a break up with my girlfriend of 3 years and a half years, and since then, games have had no real meaning for me. I tried to play 7 or 8 different games, everything from Splosion Man to Zelda to DJ Hero, and I just don't care about whatever it is I am playing. I was wondering if you guys have ever had this kind of problem, and what you did to maybe snap yourself out of it and enjoy your passion again? Thanks, keep up the awesome work.

Hey Guys, just wanted to say that I've listened to the show for quite some time now and I love the rapport you all have with each other, be it game news or poop talk. My question is regarding the positive response to the space battles in Halo Reach and if you think this could mean a resurgence in the once popular space flight sim/action games of the past like X-wing, Tie Fighter, and Wing Commander? Thanks

I'm not trying to troll with this question but why are you guys always having problems with your Macs? I thought they were supposed to be more stable platforms than windows based PCs? Is it just bad luck or do you commonly have problems with them?

Are you guys sick of having a plethora of good games coming out in a 3 month timespan at the end of the year? I know its all about holiday sales and the game companies are greedy fucks, but come on. Fable 3, Force Unleashed 2, Rock Band 3, Fallout New Vegas etc, etc. Do you feel like having lots of games come out at once severely hinders new game sales? I know if these games had begun coming out at the beginning of the summer and spaced out releases I would probably buy every game I wanted. As it stands now I am gonna have to choose which ones I really want now and buy the rest as I finish them. I'm a grown ass man and I don't have time for all these games! If they are forcing them down our throats at one time at least give us a fucking competitive price. DAMN!

Hey Wombat and Shipwreck I have a question; how did you 2 find out bout cheapassgamer.com just wondering keep the Cagcast going you two and cheapyd help make running easier haha

how do you guys feel about reach? will Microsoft actually let a cash cow like halo simply disappear after one final game? surely a TV series is already being planned?

[quote name='200STM']Hey Wombat and Shipwreck I have a question; how did you 2 find out bout cheapassgamer.com just wondering keep the Cagcast going you two and cheapyd help make running easier haha[/QUOTE]

Wombat co-founded Cheap Ass Gamer

Not sure about Shipwreck but hey why question the hand that feeds us
(game reviews)

I've recently tried to get a friend to listen to the CAGcast, but unfortunately, he couldn't get "into" the show because "I have no clue who or what these guys are". I introduced him to the site as well but it really doesn't provide much info regarding the hosts of the show. So I was thinking perhaps a creation of a FAQ all about the Cheap Ass Gamer website, CheapyD, Wombat, and Shipwreck can shed some light to the newer listeners about who you guys really are.

Here are some sample questions for the FAQ:

1) How did CheapyD and Wombat meet?
2) When was the CAG website created?
3) How did Shipwreck get involved in the website? And later, the CAG Foreplay/CAGcast?
4) How did you come into contact with Super Programmer John? Were there any other potential programmers or was John the first choice?
5) How did Wombat get his name?
6) Boxers or Briefs?
7) If the three of you got in a free for all, fight to the death... who would win?

I'm pretty sure other members can think of better (and funnier) questions but this will do for now.

Anyway you guys can pump out more than one cag cast a week? My work is extremely boring and you guys and girl (Wombat) make my work day much more enjoyable.

Cheapy... Since you're always high as a kite do you think you can add weed reviews to the cagcast? Munchie of the day?

Thanks again Shipwreck for pumping out so many reviews!

Wombat... Thanks for nothing. j/k

Wombat - when Cheapy mentioned that a new CAG Mobile style is available and it works with most mobile phones, you gave what sounded like an embarrassed laugh and mentioned your Samsung Reality. I'm kind of nervous about this as that's the phone I just purchased. Is something wrong with it? Have you had bad experiences? Just wondering what the embarrassed laughter was for?

Cheapy - real quickly since a lot of people probably don't know what we're talking about, but which regular caller to the Stern show do you hate the most? I'd imagine it would have to be either Bobo, King of all Blacks, Eric from Hoboken, or Mary Anne.

Hey Cheapy,

I just noticed that Volition is accepting bids to star in "Saints Row 3". Providing that your willing to support a good cause for a burn victim and her family. Knowing about your love for the Saints Row series do you think it would be possible to set up a similar system like that of "Child's Play"? I'm sure there are plenty of loyal CAGs out there that would be willing to help out this family and in addition we would get to see you, Cheapy in a game that you enjoy so much!

More info can be found at http://www.supportashleyames.com/

CAGCAST FATALITIES

WOMBAT = MR. wombat doesn't rip the head of his opponent, nor does his burn them with a raining fire storm, NO. Wombat asks the oppenent if there is anything of value they have on there person or at there business he could have for free (or maybe a coupon for). After hours of asking the person ultimately kills them selfs for the sweet relief of death. Wombat would then place a business card of his own on the now dead opponent, and tell them to look him up.

SHIPWRECK = Being the kind Hearted man that shipwreck is, violence wouldn't be the first thing on his mind. Instead he would try to make friends with the screaming man with blood coming down his face. How does shipwreck make friends you ask, he pulls out the big guns. Thats right, his spread sheets! He would show the opponent all of his spreads. This leading to the opponent jumping of the nearest cliff.

CHEAPYD = Last but not least, the main man himself. At the end of a very brutal fight, cheapy and his opponent would call it a draw. Everyones a winner right? Wrong! While walking away cheapys opponent would say how shit apple's iphone and ipad is. This sends cheapy into an unstopable rage. He picks up his Imac, gives him the big CAG F U, and smashes him in the head. Realising that he has just smashed his Imac, Cheapy realises he now has an excuse to go and buy a brand new one;)

Please don't take This to heart guys. Keep up the CAGCAST:D

Wombat fatality - he disappears off screen and comes back dressed as a vagina clown. He then starts flinging multiple copies of The Advocate at his opponent until they die a quick, painful death of a million paper cuts.

Shipwreck fatality - he shouts "poor hustle!" and then pummels his enemy with a barrage of basketballs.

Cheapy fatality - he summons a giant Japanese toilet that creates a vortex so powerful it sucks his opponent down in. He then stands up on the rim and gives his opponent's dead body a golden shower. When he's done he asks, "You mind if I .. zip this up?"

CAGCAST Fatalities:

Shipwreck: He would pull out a walkie-talkie, call in assistance, and a hoard of Transformers and GI Joes would descend upon his victim. He would then rip the head from the now-unrecognizable corpse and add it to his collection of action figures.

Wombat: In the spirit of Wombat's quest to have large lobsters, he would throw his opponent into a vat of boiling water, and then eat them.

Cheapy: Cheapy would stuff his opponent into his fancy Japanese toilet, take a dump on their body, and tweet about it from his iPhone.

Former Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling's online game company 38 Studios is moving to Rhode Island to get a 75 Million loan guarantee!!!
The two game they are currently working on are a PC RPG and a MMO. How could a state agree to to give so much money to a game studio with an unproved track record?

Plus, out of all the genres to work on, why pick a MMO/RPG?

Your thoughts?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29612/Schillings_38_Studios_Moving_To_Rhode_Island.php

CAGCast Fatalities

Shipwreck- Shipwreck would slice off the head of his opponent and use it to make a 3 pointer into a basketball hoop.

Wombat- Wombat would get a cell phone call from the office asking him to do work and then wombat would proceed to finish off his opponent by throwing a crapload of pens at the enemy which are as sharp as needles in anger.

CheapyD- CheapyD would take a massive flaming fart on the opponent which would burn them to death.

Hey Shipwreck, I've been wondering if Mrs. Shipwreck will ever come on the show since she said she would after the whole Christmas charity fundraiser back in December?

As for fatalities:
CheapyD - He would pull out a glass of Pepsi Ice Cucumber and start stirring it with a real cucumber. After a few seconds, he would splash the concoction over the victim's face which would melt away.

Wombat - Transforms into a real wombat and jumps on top of victim slashing away with his claws.

Shipwreck - Pulls out a M-16 and shoots laser beams at the victim.

[quote name='kryptonic']

Cheapy... Since you're always high as a kite do you think you can add weed reviews to the cagcast? Munchie of the day?

[/QUOTE]

great question, or maybe a legal high review cagcast where he talks about and review legal highs :D

Hey Guys, wanted to know what you thought about virgin gaming and their online tournaments? Recently saw something in a magazine and Ubisoft just recently partnered with virgin. It appears it mainly sports games along with Halo 3, Modnation, and what allegedly appears street fighter and rockband/guitar tournaments coming soon.

Cheapy, you mentioned a couple of podcasts ago that you are unable to watch hulu in Japan and you have tried various anonymous IP browsing services but hulu can still detect you are in an incorrect region. Well I live in the UK and I use an application called hotspot shield. http://www.hotspotshield.com/ I use it on my iMac and am able to watch everything on hulu. I'm guessing it will work exactly the same for you in Japan and this is just to let you know you can still enjoy great American TV Let us know if it works!

You also mentioned in a podcast about a UK version of the CAGcast. This sonds like a brilliant idea and would love to help. I used to run my own gaming podcast and would love to be part of a British CAGcast I know these weren't exactly questions but just heads up Much love to you and the CAG team

With the Limited Edition Halo: Reach Console having a unique start up sound I was wondering if this could be the start of "360 ringtones"? Microsoft could charge around 5 bucks to change the system sounds. What would your xbox start up sound be?

Hey guys,

Gamestop has listings for "Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition" for the 360, PS3, and PC. It's supposed to be releasing October 12th, according to them, but I haven't seen anything else about it anywhere. It's as if it doesn't exist outside Gamestop's page for it. Is it a placeholder for a game they expect announced, or a goofup, or is it real? What do you think it is, if it's real? Perhaps the game with all or some of the DLC? Also, why hasn't anyone covered it? It seems like it would be big news.

EDIT: Joystiq has finally written an article on it. So maybe it does exist after all.

I was also wondering what co-op games you can recommend for the 360. I'd really like to be able to play with my buddy over Live, but I'm not sure what good co-op games are out there besides some of the most well known FPS or action titles like COD:MW2. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hey Cheapy, I was recently playing some BlazBlue and I was reminded of a couple things you have talked about on recent shows. One was when you were discussing the new Mortal Kombat and mentioning that they should have a noob friendly way to pull off finishers. You also mentioned that in order for you to pick up the new BlazBlue someone would have to play it for you, well that's possible in the game. All you need to do in every mode other then Ranked online is use the right analog stick to pull off specials. Hopefully that is enough to make you want to get the game, it's great.

I've been doing some research and have found out that AC Brotherhood, LBP2 and Sonic Colors are all coming out on the same day. I dislike this because I've been anticipating all three of those games and now I'm torn. I guess my question is, do you think it's smart for Ubisoft, Sega and Media Molecule to be releasing three big name titles on the same day?

Cheapy, Wombat, and Shipwreck:

I've been part of an online community (www.lemediocrity.net) for over 5 years now and we've been recently inspired to start podcasting. We've gotten through our first episode and obviously need to overcome a few technical hurdles and find hosts with the right chemistry.

I was just wondering if you'd like to share any pearls of wisdom to help us get this albatross off the ground and help us avoid any pitfalls you've encountered.

Keep up the good work. The CAGcast and the GiantB***Cast are the only gaming podcasts I can stand to listen to for more than a few minutes. I can't decide if I would listen to mine if I wasn't in it. :p

*as I wrote this, I heard it in my head as Wombat's voice. Is that weird?

This is not exactly a question and it doesn't really fall into the show feedback section. It's mostly just help for the CagCast crew and my fellow Cheap Ass Gamers.

In reply to the beginning of the ANALITY cagcast, I have a better solution for the summer heat in your seat, than regular old baby powder in your crack. The absolute best powder is called ANTI-MONKEY BUTT Powder, look it up @ http://www.antimonkeybutt.com/ . The website is kinda humorous.

I am outside in this nasty humid heat all day and the anti monkey butt powder saved my ass....literally! I used to use the regular baby powder but all I was doing was making pancakes in my pants. Use this stuff in the morning and your ass will feel like you are sitting on a cloud all day long. You can normally find it in the foot care section. It has powdered calamine and talc in it.

Cheapy, Wombat & Shipwreck,
Have you guys ever missed a significant event with friends or family, because you'd rather stay home and play a videogame?

Cheapy - I used the CAGDOMAIN code today on godaddy to register my .com, and appreciate the savings I got using the code. If you want a good incentive to get listeners to register a domain and use the codes, here's one: Just imagine how embarrassing it would be if your .com bounced to a depraved hard core porn website. If someone like my boss or a prospective employer Googles me, I definatley don't want a website about beastiality to be the first thing that shows up. :hot: This is one reason I already own a couple of the domains that are variations of .com

Are you (Cheapy) at all intent on expanding CAG to beyond the US and UK? I know it'll be difficult, I don't even start listing all the obstacles, but have you considered say, Japan Game Deals or Australia Game deals? As an Australian, I'd love to see some expansion but I understand that it's just much easier to operate almost solely in the US.

Hey Wombat, which DC Superhero do you think Rocksteady Studios should try and make a game for after they do Arkham City?

bread's done
Back