CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

Hey guys,

I have recently been informed that I have to make some compromises with my gaming time. I don't get off work until after midnight everyday and that is when I play games, it wakes my wife and daughter up and that upsets the balance of a happy home. Can you recommend me a great, inexpensive set of headphones that are preferably wireless and offer 5.1 surround sound? I do most of my gaming on the PS3 and don't play online games so chatting is not a concern of mine. Right now I am eyeballing the Turtle Beach Earforce X4's which are built for the XBOX 360 but that really only applies to chat support since they work with any audio system. Also, a friend and I are thinking about starting a video game podcast and I was wondering what brand of mic to start with for that. Thanks.

Hi everyone at the CAGcast!
With all the great new games that have come out, are about to come out, and have been announced to come out I have been thinking. When will the next Elder Scrolls game come out or even be announced? The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion was the game that made me buy my xbox 360 and turned me into more than just a casual gamer. I guess I'm just wondering if you guys might be wondering the same thing or if any of you have heard anything about it, and if not, when would you expect it to be announced or do you think it will ever get announced?
Thanks for the help and keep up the good work!

Cheapy, I completely agree with your assessment of story in Rockstar games. So many of their own characters and situations blow the tone and context in those stories. Mafia 2 may not be flawless, but at least the missions and writing are consistent throughout.

I did have a question about crappy Japanese storytelling, though. As best as you're able to gauge from your time in Japan, is most of their media filled with crappy stories (by Western standards, I mean)? In other words, do their movies and TV shows frequently jump from melodramatic apocalyptic nonsense to panty shots and other Japanese tropes? Do Japanese people realize this makes it impossible to take their games seriously, or do they even get that other cultures regard this as odd (as I'm sure the Japanese find things like Gears of War laughable...)?

[quote name='megma42']Enjoy the show and wanted to put in my 2 cents about the anouncement of the DS price drop. I believe that it may be to try to compete to the itouch somehow as during Apple's recent event much was made of how the itouch is now the best selling portable gaming system. Kind of a long shot, but I thought I would throw it out.[/QUOTE]

I'm also curious to know what you think about what Jobs said during his event. Do you agree with his claim that the iPT is the #1 portable gaming system? You guys probably know the industry pretty well and do you find anyone who agrees with this? I think that the ipod touch has its place in the portable gaming market but it is nowhere near any position where it can be considered the #1 portable gaming platform. The vast majority of games on the app store are simple puzzle games or ripoffs of online flash games, etc. They are not in the same league in terms of depth and content, playability, and overall length as the titles you find on the DS or PSP.

What do you think? Would love to know your thoughts on this, love the show been listening since long before show #100, keep up the great work!

Hey guys great show I was finally able to catch up after being behind three cagcasts. Anyway I have two question: 1. Cheapy and Wombat what kind of game would it take for both of you to take out your Wii and start playing it again. 2. Cheapy and Shipwreck what do you believe should be the recommended buying price for Mafia II. Keep up the good work guys and hopefully the cagcast can get me through another year of school.

I've been listening it seems like forever and I am not sure if either of you have had this issue.

About 2 weeks ago my 360 had the RROD, I bought a replacment console since the 360 was past it's 3 year warranty and I wanted a Slim anyways. I transfered everything from my old 360's hard drive to the slim which was easy to do and the license stuff was easy to do a 1 time per year update and it all went smooth and I was done within a few hours.

Well, sunday night I was about to play MLB 10 the show in a game in September and my system flashed on the TV when the game was starting and the Red light was blinking. I did a closer look every time the system booted and it was the Yellow light of death. I called Sony and they wanted me to send them the system and it would be a charge because it's not under warranty. It pisses me off that I spent $1k on these systems and both died. Now to continue the PS nightmare. I bought a new PS3 for $299 and went to put my old hard drive in. Well, this failed and it was said that it needed to format the hard drive. I called Sony and they said that I can't put that hard drive in the other system because the data is saved based on the console. Then he had the nerve to say that it was this way on any computer and I gave him a peace of my mind. Well, I redownloaded everything and I am gaming again.

PS3 lost time due to my PS3 dying - 157 + hours.

Little Big Planet 10 hrs
Madden 11 6 hrs
NCAA 11 15 hrs
Fallout 3 10 hrs
Lego Star Wars Complete Saga 20 hrs
MLB 10 The show 40 hrs
Burnout Paradise 10 hrs
Final Fantasy XIII 10 hrs
Dragon Age Origins 20 hrs
Transformers War for Cybertron 8 hours
ModNation Racers 8 hours

Thanks for all the deals on the threads and an excellent and entertaining show.

Wombat and Shipwreck are going down on Fantasy Football this year :)

Now that we're into September, how do you guys think this years shopping season will shape up compared to years past. What games are going to be the "it" games/hardware to get this coming season?

The reason I ask is... Besides Christmas, my birthday is also in December. I tend to try to horde all of my funds into larger, more expensive items. If you guys had a good chunk of change, what would you be getting this coming holiday season?

You guys rock and thanks for getting through my work days!

What are your opinions regarding CAGS takings deals off of cheapassgamer and reporting them to Slickdeals?

Do you prefer that we keep the deals in the cheapassgamer forums so that CAGS have more time to get in on a deal, or do you not mind as long as credit is given to cheapassgamer?

My father, who just turned 60, recently picked up a PS2 and has suddenly become a gaming addict. He routinely tells me that he can't imagine better graphics than those pumped out by his PS2. He will be coming into town this weekend to visit me and I would like to wow him by introducing him to the current generation of consoles. Shipwreck, Cheapy, and Wombat - what title would you recommend as the perfect "showcase" title for this generation of consoles? I'm an owner of all the systems, and since I don't want to spend my dad's entire stay playing games, I would like to show him one title to break him in. What game do you feel is the technological pinnacle of this console generation so far? I don't care about gameplay, just technology.

Here's a question as you guys celebrate audience milestones on your podcast downloads.

Of the podcasts among the big gaming sites, where does the CAGCast fit in terms of listeners? I'm talking specifically of the podcasts from Destructoid, Kotaku, Joystiq, Giant Bomb, and obviously the CAGCast. Total listeners? Listeners per show?

Thanks!

You guys seem to really be into twitter. I am annoyed by the whole state of "social networks" today but still registered 2 twitter accounts (Personal and for my site) a few weeks ago anyway. Persuade me into using them because as of now I don't see what the appeal is.

What do you guys think of Giant Bomb's recent decision to split the second hour of their podcast and make it available to paying members only for one week?

My question was basically the same as the one above me. What do you guys think about all of the outrage at Giant Bomb's membership program?

Basically what they're doing is they're releasing the Bombcast same as always, except non-paying members will only get the first half of it. They will have to wait an entire week until they can hear the second half the following Tuesday. Paid members will be unaffected as far as the podcast goes. They're also adding a revamped mobile site, HD videos and "added profile content" but most people are talking about the podcast issue. It's sad to see because it seems like they're really hurting for money. Ryan Davis tweeted in response to someone just yesterday "Trying our damndest to stay in business!". And one of their engineers, Dave Snyder, said in their live chat they've basically been going on investment money up until this point. I find it strange that they didn't try out a less jarring attempt at a revenue stream earlier on. Sounds it's basically 11th hour for them, so they're holding they're most popular piece of content (the Bombcast) hostage behind a subscription free.

Was just wondering what your thoughts were given the fact that you've discussed Giant Bomb's revenue methods in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
CheapyD

You often talk about not wanting to take money from your community because you'd rather get the money from advertisers and other companies. With this in mind what's your opinion of the just implemented GiantBomb paid membership structure?
In case you don't know they're offering HD videos, full instant podcast access and some other stuff for $4,99/month or $49,99/year.

I personally paid for an annual subscription because i want to support those guys and what they do.

Wombat & Shipwreck feel free to add your opinions since you visit giantbomb a lot

I'm new to the CAGCast - I just started a new job and my commute went from about 10-15 mins to around an hour on some days. Twice it was about 2 hours and you guys saved my sanity - very entertaining.

Anyhow, a few casts ago Wombat and Cheapy mentioned a couple of iPhone apps that were good for their toddlers. I have a 3 year-old, and I was hoping you could recommend some Android or PSN games that would be good for him to play (no iPhone here). Personally, with the average age of gamers going up, I think this would make a nice semi-regular feature for all the parents out there.

more of a suggestion than a question.....can you please cover iphone/ipod/ipad games as a regular feature? there are so many games that dont get enough press and im sure you can do em justice

Cagcast 212 comment: Wombat said Gearbox taking over Duke Nukem is a bonehead move. I disagree. Think of all the free publicity they've already received about reviving Duke Nukem. If they actually release the game they'll get tons more free publicity as well. Everyone will know about Duke Nukem without Gearbox having to spend a dime!

echoing the requests of a few others, we definitely need to hear Cheapy's take on the GiantBomb subscription fiasco. And maybe Wombat can swear at them for me too?

Now that CAG has developed a sense of entitlement with review copies, how will that effect the reviews

Hey CheapyD,

I've been watching a lot of documentaries on the Japanese profession of harvesting Whales and dolphins (The Cove, Blood Dolphin, Whale Wars ect). And I've been wondering what sort of impact those activities have on Japanese people in their day to day (from an outsiders perspective): Do you see Whale/Dolphin meat common in most stores ect? Are Japanese sensitive to the subject of antiwhaling? And I believe your wife is in some type of law profession; does she run into any related issues?

You don't have to say which side you take on this issue, but I'm just curious about the general overview of this sort of thing.

Thanks love the show.

I also would like to know what you guys think of the giant bomb subscription BS. If CAG ever does that I will have to shoot myself.

Hey what's up guys. I wanted to know your opinions about the MSRP threads in the video game deals forum. For example, when Kinect's MSRP was officially announced, there was a thread about it in the video game deals forum. Anytime a collector's edition for a game is announced, we usually see people posting threads about what its MSRP will be. Most recently though, there was a thread in the deals forum about the recently rumored Ico/Shadow PS3 compilation and how it's rumored to have an MSRP of $39.99. MSRP is the standard price a product costs anywhere you go and at anytime, and is therefore the opposite of a deal. Do you guys think these threads belong in the video game deals forum?

Amazon just announced a $30 game credit if you pre-order Kinect with a select Kinect-enabled game. Do you agree that this is a bad omen and a sign of bad things to come for Kinect after its release or is this nothing for MS to be worried about?

hey Team CAG!

Do you guys think that Best buy and Amazon jumping on the used game market is what really caused the developers to focus on how used game sales affected their sales? It just seems to be that before when it was mostly just Gamestop doing used game sales there was never a problem.

Hey Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck!

What do you guys think of Sony filing the patent on an external ps2 BC device? Do you think if this device is released to the public will it be successful or will it cause a backlash since Sony removed the feature from the retail systems?

Shipwreck. hey I was driving thru the city of Cin a few weeks back and at a local Big Lots I got the most helpful assistance in locating a tire iron from a rather cool ginger dude not unlike yourself I'm told. I figure all you guys probably know each other right? If he wasn't you, would you be willing to pass along my thanks. I was the black dude in a blue Saab. I'm sure this came up in your periodical meetings like it came up in ours.

[quote name='MattJ1991']Hey Wombat,

http://gear.ign.com/articles/112/1123615p1.html

you have something to do with that?[/QUOTE]

Is there a reason why they always mention Lucasarts in the droid commercials? Do they own the rights to the word "droid" or something?

BTW, feel free to bring this question up in the podcast... also I have two questions:

1) Do you answer loaded questions?
2) If so, what's it like being such a bastard?

Hey Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck,

I think we all want to know... What's up with all the random site outages we've been experiencing throughout the week? ;)

When did you guys begin using the phrase "money hats" to refer to game journalists and other industry folks who have taken payola? Did you coin the term? Where did it come from?

I only ask because when I was a kid, for Christmas my grandmother used to give us various items with money stuffed inside or attached to it, and one year she gave everyone stocking caps with cash pinned to them. So whenever you guys say "money hats," part of me thinks of dear departed Grandma.

Cheapy, I was listening to the Kevin Smith Smodcast (#135 @35 min mark, if interested) and he was talking about in Japan there being penis and vagina festivals. Apparently the kids in towns dress up as genitalia and there are shrines to them. Heard of this before, or are you on the planning committee?

For the panel:

Would you kindly discuss the current trend of downloadable XBLA/PSN games designed for multiplayer, but not having online multiplayer available (Scott Pilgrim, Shank, Lara Croft [only one set to have it patched in later], and Plants vs. Zombies.)

As someone who has no physical friends where I live, it pains me that even if I like these games, specificially Scott Pilgrim, I will not buy these games until they're heavily discounted, if ever because I cannot get the full experience. I also find it illogical that these games you have to be connected online via broadband to purchase (or at least download if you bought the code at Gamestop) but in turn cannot be played online.

I don't think the games should forsake offline co-op as that is important in this day and age as well, but to not have nor will ever have online co-op in games designed for a multiplayer experience is assinine IMO.

Im sorry that I'm bringing back this horrible convo of the 3DS back but you guys talked about it for so long in this last podcast that I'm kinda wondering that maybe I should get it...but my question is do you guys know whether the 3DS will be able to play regular ds games on it or will the whole "3D" aspect make that not possible??

Thanks guys, and by the way I love the CAGcast keep it going :D

What do you guys think of Nintendo's automatic updates plan for the 3DS where the system does it without the user's permission?

For shits and giggles, I checked out cheapassgamer's alexa page. I know that isn't the be all end all of web site analysis, but they mentioned that cheapassgamer was especially popular in St Louis, MO, and Hartford, CT. Any theories for why this is?

Which game sells the most during October, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West or Castlevania: Lords of Shadow? Brand new IP vs the reboot of a well-known franchise -- both release on Oct. 5th, both seem to have similar amount of hype around them (that is to say none at all).

What say you, gentlemen?

Hey guys,

I recall a conversation from a previous episode in which you said that if Kinect was $150, you would no longer discuss it on your show. What's the deal? We hear 5-10 minutes of discussion about it almost weekly still, long since the price tag had been confirmed.

I'll try this one again, since it goes with a favorite topic of Cheapy's: game stories.

Do Japanese people realize that their game stories are embarrassing? I mean, is there any self-consciousness at all when a complete out-of-context panty shot or excessively whiny dialogue comes up, or is that stuff all just part of the culture?

I mean, I have the presence of mind to be embarrassed when my wife overhears my Gears of War game's dialogue, so I was just wondering if the Japanese populace could also distinguish good writing from bad, and --if so-- why is their game writing so bad?

[quote name='Filler2001']Hey guys,

I recall a conversation from a previous episode in which you said that if Kinect was $150, you would no longer discuss it on your show. What's the deal? We hear 5-10 minutes of discussion about it almost weekly still, long since the price tag had been confirmed.[/QUOTE]

I think Wombat shot that one off without consulting the others, and they kind of dismissed it a couple of episodes later.

Hey Cheapy, Japan sells a lot of wacky flavored beverages right? What's the weirdest flavor for a drink you've seen available recently?

It seems like we're finally getting into primetime for new games coming out, of course this is all happening when my xbox just got the red ring of death. I have Rock Band 3 preordered and was thinking about preordering Fable 3.

My question is, should I cancel the preorders and buy the xbox slim or keep the preorders and buy a used xbox from gamestop? If it wasn't for the great games coming out I would probably wait until black friday for a console deal. Suggestions?

Hope this is the right spot for this:

Shipwreck, Wombat, and the Cheap-Miester…Greetings for Texas

Love your podcast and never miss it. You guys are the best. On most disagreements between you three, I find myself agreeing with Wombat and Shipwreck the majority of the time.
With that said, I find myself having to agree with Cheapy in regards to his comments about the Nintendo 3DS versus the I-pod touch. I have to “feed” 4 Xboxes, a PS-3. 2 PSP(s), a Wii, 8 IPods-1iPad, 6 Cell phones, and 4 DS(es). And where we currently get the most bang for our buck is with the iPods and iPhones. The kids NEVER finish the $30-$40 DS and PSP games; but, play the heck out of the$3-$5 iPod Games. And since all the iPods are in my name, I can purchase one game and stretch the one game across several units. Add in fact they play music, browses the internet, play videos, (Just put the Blue-Ray included digital copy Ironman 2 on mine yesterday), makes them my choice also. And, since some of the best new and innovative games are on the IPod platforms, while Nintendo keeps giving me the same ‘ol same ‘ol., I see absolutely do not see me spending the cost of a new 16GB iPhone , $299.00 on a new 3D DS.
Even a “hot shot attorney” , such as myself , needs a financial break and to be CAG with feeding this much tech.

Thank all of you, keep up the great work, and You Go Cheapy!!!!
Omega Man 1.0

[quote name='jax2001']Are you planning on doing the charity fundraiser for Child's Play again this year?[/QUOTE]

Looking forward to Child's Play this year as well.

[quote name='Aarbear']It seems like we're finally getting into primetime for new games coming out, of course this is all happening when my xbox just got the red ring of death. I have Rock Band 3 preordered and was thinking about preordering Fable 3.

My question is, should I cancel the preorders and buy the xbox slim or keep the preorders and buy a used xbox from gamestop? If it wasn't for the great games coming out I would probably wait until black friday for a console deal. Suggestions?[/QUOTE]

I would cancel all preorders and get them directly to K-Mart. They have amazing coupons and maybe able to use them on a slim system. Both games come with $20 coupons. Thus, you could get $40 off the slim.

CheapyD, I wanted to your thoughts about the K-Mart thread being to large and bringing down the site? A first? :applause:

Josh is doing an excellent job with the gaming coupons. :applause:

On CAGcast 215, Cheapy, you were talking about how 3D TVs don't feel or seem right. Did you demo the 3DS, and if you did, did you have that same sensation with it that you and your friend did with that 3D TV?

bread's done
Back