CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

What's up guys? Quick question for Wombat, have you ever thought of starting a movie review blog? Your quick reviews on the 'cast have always steered me right.

Keep up the great work guys. I always look forward to the new CAGcast to play on my morning commute.

Hey Cheapy, instead of Child's Play next year could you do a drive for the salvation army, and have an annoying animated .gif of you ringing a bell with a red bucket next to it? I miss those guys.

Hey cheapy, wombat and shipwreck,Is there any chance you would start giving rewards for finding good deals. Like if you found a deal that makes the frontpage you get a free cag t-shirt or something!

Then more people would be looking for deals.. so there would be more deals.. and that means more people come to the site..( maybe)

I remember someone mentioning that Shipwreck was on the track team in high school. What events did you do and what were your personal records?

Hey cheapy, wombat & shipwreck...

Been listening for around a year now, can't claim to have been there from the start due to living in sin with IGN podcasts :( great show you have me pissing myself all the time, and having to explain to the missus when ever she walks in that im listening to three grown men talking about poo, shower piss and shipwrecks mommoth manhood... anyway finally signed up to the site and started participating due to the awesome "win everything" compo.

arse-kissing aside lol....

You ever thought of promoting CAG/CAGCast through a street team the same way bands do??? like getting a couple of sheets worth of stickers printed with the CAG logo and site address on, mailing 'em to who ever volunteers to spread em around their local malls or schools, where-ever gamergeeks dwell? could be an in-expensive way to rally more troops :p
Maybe start a CAG t-shirt range next time you do a competition, get CAGs to send in t-shirt designs and choose the best two or three to use. CAGs get another competition and you dont even have to do anything with the t-shirts apart from get 'em made. just a thought, apologies for wasting your time if you've already thought of any of this, or just think it's a wank idea lol

Cheapy why is weed so damn expensive in japan?

Oh and love the show of course, only podcast I listen to, and really only gaming site I visit apart from giantbomb.

This is sort of a non-sequtier but rather than attempting to racebend Spider-Man
yes i realize they aren't going with a black guy and in all likelyhood never were. That was just one guys campaign
(which worked out SO well for Avatar: the Last Airbender) in a reboot of a franchise that arguably is starting to get a bit over-exposed (3 movies in the last 8 years with the reboot in 2012?). How well do you think a Static Shock movie would do? As a character he's basically a black version of Spider-Man. He's a somewhat popular character (he had a pretty darn good cartoon on WB), he has super powers you could spend a few million creating, diverse cast of friends, and interesting (if lesser known) supervillains to fight, family issues, identity secrets, and high school life to go thru.

No, I don't actually expect you to clickthru but if you like
1- The last thing Spider-Man should be is another white guy
2- Racebending
3- Donald Glover (Community's Troy) for Spider-Man

[quote name='Gimgak']Cheapy why is weed so damn expensive in japan?

Oh and love the show of course, only podcast I listen to, and really only gaming site I visit apart from giantbomb.[/QUOTE]

Because you will be raped if you get caught. They take that stuff seriously in Japan.

cheapyd and wombat: Have you heard rumors about Microsoft leaving the console business after this gen because of investors not happy with Microsoft? Do you think that will really happen?

There's been a big internet kerfuffle about Entertainment Weekly naming Kirby's Epic Yarn "worst game of the year." Does the uproar say more about game reviews and best/worst lists, or the game fans who get all worked up when someone doesn't like the same thing they do? Aren't reviews just one person's opinion, backed up by (hopefully) solid reasoning?

I've been a member for almost 6 years and haven't yet posed a question to the CAGbag. Hopefully this question piques your interest: One of the headlines on CNBC today (12/28) is that Apple has been awarded patents for 3D display and holographic technology. I think there's a good chance the next iteration of the iPod touch will be 3D and could be here as soon as fall 2011, which would mean that Nintendo has, at most, 6 months on the market with the 3DS before facing its first real competitor for the next generation of handhelds. How do you think a theoretical showdown between a $300 iPod touch 3D w/$10 downloadable games and a $250 3DS w/$35 games would play out? Who do you think Nintendo views as its greatest threat - Apple, Sony, or Microsoft?

Regarding DCUO. I know with games like Dynasty Warriors and Guitar Hero most gamers are burned out but if you've never played them then picking up the latest game is kinda cool. You're essentially starting at zero. You described DCUO as having some of the classic design elements of many MMOs before them. My question is if I've never actually played an MMO do you think I would find the game fun or are the issues with the game apparent to anyone regardless of experience.

[quote name='easper']There's been a big internet kerfuffle about Entertainment Weekly naming Kirby's Epic Yarn "worst game of the year." Does the uproar say more about game reviews and best/worst lists, or the game fans who get all worked up when someone doesn't like the same thing they do? Aren't reviews just one person's opinion, backed up by (hopefully) solid reasoning?[/QUOTE]
to elaborate EW's review of Epic Yarn is B+.

[quote name='coolz481']Apple has been awarded patents for 3D display and holographic technology. I think there's a good chance the next iteration of the iPod touch will be 3D and could be here as soon as fall 2011,[/QUOTE]no way. I have a hard enough time seeing 3D in the iPod touch. and next year? no way. I'd put money on that. the iPod Touch is an iPhone without the radio. So the touch followed the phone. So what you're suggesting is that the iPhone will get a 3D display and that's where pigs start to lift off. For all the 'gaming accumen' the iPhone has it's still a phone. 90% of the features they add always serve the bulk up a phone and then the gaming aspect is a bonus. There's no reason to put a 3D display in a phone. There's barely any reason to put it in a gaming handheld.

Hello Cheapy,Wombat,and Shipwreck.
Just wondering what you guys thought about discounted downloadable content. I found myself feeling like I got punched in the gut the day after I paid full price for a few of the ME2 add-ons they discounted all of the add-ons by like 70%. I thought that Xbox lives attempt to be amazon by giving little hints about the next days sales was cool at first but I just did'nt have the time to keep up with them. Do you see a day where they will compensate morons like me if it fits within a certain time frame?

Do you feel there is "Child's play Charity" fatigue? I mean, it's the de facto charity representing gamers and we are reminded on every website.

I personally gave less to Child's play so I could give to other causes.

One thing I'd like to know is you guys opinions on Mr. Bobby Kotick.

Last edited by a moderator:
With Xbox Live Subscription cards being on sale for what seems like every week, do you think that Microsoft made the MSRP $59.99 to make xbox live more appealing when it is on sale like this week's $39.99 and a game sale on the dashboard?

CES seems to be all about new takes on the same old stuff. There is no desire for the biggest gaming console companies to even consider the next generation.

Microsoft is focused on figuring out what to actually do with Kinect and using the Xbox as a marketing tool for their new Windows 7 Phone platform.

Sony is going 3-D crazy to try and use the Playstation 3 as a marketing tool for their 3-D televisions, Blu-Ray players and Sony-Ericson phones.

Is either even thinking about updating their aging consoles? Not likely. They're both going to milk these systems at least another 4 years while they stick dumbed down versions of them in phone and integrated into televisions. Nintendo showed them that you can make money without next gen technology and they are going to follow that model for the not so near future.

Hey Cheapy, I have always wondered, since you live in Japan do you keep most of your money in Yen or in the American dollar? I have a couple of friends that live over there that keep their money in American, but they live on military bases, is it more practical to keep Yen when you're a normal citizen?

Wombat, what exactly do you do for a living? What's the title of your day job? No need to reveal the workplace if that's confidential, but what is your occupation?
What about Shipwreck? Isn't he a rocket scientist?

[quote name='stephengotlost']Wombat, what exactly do you do for a living? What's the title of your day job? No need to reveal the workplace if that's confidential, but what is your occupation?
[/QUOTE]

I believe he still works in advertising for a human being alternative lifestyle website?

:roll:[/QUOTE]

... sorry bout this. i was having a bad day at school and decided to take it out on wombat since i was listening to a cagcast at the time. my brother put it in the cagbag with my account as a joke. i changed it back to the way it was and deleted the post in the cagbag. and i apologize to wombat and the cagcast fan community as a whole.

WOMBAT IS KING!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I was curious your thoughts on doing something a little different for the year end episode in the coming years.

It seems like this one was simply a review of everything you've said before this year. I was hoping that more new things could be said. Perhaps more thoughts on the future or a deeper analysis of the year.

And I've always felt that you should focus more on the business side of gaming. I really feel that that's what you guys do best. On pricing, the used game market, the state of DLC and downloadable games, companies buying and selling each other, the success and failures of video game websites, etc. Just a thougth.

Happy 2011
buttle

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Hey Cheapy, I have always wondered, since you live in Japan do you keep most of your money in Yen or in the American dollar? I have a couple of friends that live over there that keep their money in American, but they live on military bases, is it more practical to keep Yen when you're a normal citizen?[/QUOTE]

Most stores in the middle of Tokyo aren't going to accept American dollars in exchange for goods and services, so I'd say it's pretty likely he deals in Yen most of the time.

I'm more interested in whether Cheapy uses much cash at all, or if he just pays by debit card or credit card everywhere.

I got a question for you fellas!

If you could have any game or gaming franchise remade on today's consoles, what would it be? Also, how would you want the game resurrected? (Complete reboot, HD remake, new sequel, etc. )

Thanks!

i want to know what your opinions are on the gears of war series along with gears 3.

i've boughten both gears games and it feels like they used the copy /paste button too much, gears 2 felt like an expansion to me rather than a full game. maybe its the repedative enviornment the games takes place in or the gameplay i just dont have any intrest in gears 3.

I've been a member of CAG for years but only started listening to the CAGcast recently. Over the past several months I've heard shows from 2005 to the present and there seems to be one theme persistent throughout. The products at every E3 or Tokyo Game Show or game related event seem to disappoint. I don't know if you guys go to so many of these that the new items just aren't that exciting or if the publishers and hardware manufacturers do a poor job of marketing their new products. Which is it?

Hey Cheapy! It's been a long time since you put up a video on youtube and I was thinking maybe you can do a video tour of the new CAGcast headquarters like you did with your old place

Hey Guys, with the recent acknowledgment of the hacking problems with the Ps3 version of Modern Warfare 2, what does Activision and what is left of Infinity Ward have to do to make Ps3 gamers feel safe online after spending 60.00 dollars for one of their games. The only time IW or Activision seems to acknowledge ps3 owners is when some overpriced dlc comes out.

Modern Warfare 2 is little over a year old and Robert Bowling pretty much shifted the blame to the current situation with the ps3 being hacked as the only reason that the game is in trouble. It feels that this is a cop out on IW and Activisions inability or lack of motivation to support their products. I play many other fps and other online games and these hacks are far and few in between. Off the top of my head Bad Company 2, Uncharted 2, Warhawk, Killzone 2 don't seem to have any problems patching / fixing hacks or exploits.

It is interesting to note that one year prior Bowling himself was quoted as saying "The biggest benefit of using IWnet by far is the fact that you don't have to worry about joining a server full of aim-bots, wallhacks, or cheaters," Robert Bowling

What have you been playing on the John recently (directed to all of you)? I seem to remember when cheapy first got his iPhone, he was always playing something and was always dropping the info on us.....Speaking of, where is the toilet gaming section of the show?

Hey guys,

I was thinking about the recent news of the possible hijacking of the PS3’s trophy system by hackers, and I came up with a crazy “What if?” that I wanted to bounce off you three. How would happen in the gaming universe if Microsoft swooped in with a fix for Sony’s hacker problems?

I know that this is ridiculous, that Microsoft probably wouldn’t have any ideas on saving the PS3 that Sony wouldn’t know already, and that Microsoft has their own hacker issues to worry about. But in this scenario, how would you see it playing out? Would Microsoft hand the fix over for free or hold it for ransom, making Sony give up something (money, exclusives, etc.) in return? Would Sony ask if Microsoft’s involvement could be kept secret to save face? Would MS go along with that? Once it became known that MS helped Sony, would we see some sort of better race relations between MS and Sony as they battle a common foe, or would we see it be publicly ignored by one or both companies? Would this turn into the most intense case of fanboyism this world has ever seen, where 360 fanboys would never let PS3 fanboys forget who saved their console? Would PS3 fanboys argue that Sony should have turned down help from “the enemy”?

Just curious on y’all’s thoughts on this weird scenario I cooked up in my head trying not to die of boredom in my cubicle at work.

BFicky

(In full disclosure, the only current gen system I have is a PS3, and as a single player only gamer who doesn’t focus on getting trophies, the online and trophy hacking really wouldn’t personally impact my PS3 gaming. But I do care about the health of the Sony and PS3 brand because I like my system and the games I do play, so I hope this hacker thing doesn’t ruin Sony.)

Hey guys, am I a bad person for recently getting very excited about the 3DS? I mean I know its easy to shit on it but I think some sense of depth, an analog stick, and an accelerometer could really add to some of the games that made the DS great in the first place. Can you guys picture Picross 3D in 3D, it would be craziness I tell ya! I just think the 3DS is getting too much flack for things that could possibly make future games several folds better.

What's up guys,

1) I know I'm late to the party, but I just bought a PS3 (my first current generation console). What would be you guys' suggestions for games? I usually play action/adventure, JRPGs, and strategy games. I already know about Oblivion (I use to listen to the show a few years ago and remember how much all of y'all loved it....I also love this game).

2) Did you guys ever get a cheap ass app? (I also remember this from the show a few years ago)

How about a new Hypewagon! Cheapy please do yours as Elegant Elliot Offen.

Shipwreck, how about a quick impression of the PS3 Power Pro Konami big headed baseball game you picked up in Japan. Is it basically the same great game play with sharper graphics?

Hey Cheapy, Shipwreck, and Wombat,

What are your thoughts on the potential downsides of the 3DS that could be a chink in it's highly-hyped armor? I'll skip past the short battery life and hone in on a few more recent things. First, I saw on Wired that the 3DS will not launch with its 3DS Store, Web Browser, and DSi Import Features, which at least the lack of a store has to be a huge misstep with the way that Nintendo is trying to fix its online issues. Doesn't this oversight lead to a number of people that would buy a game or two at launch now end up waiting and forgetting about it all together, especially if they never update the system? This wouldn't be like the iPhone since it only accepts WiFi connections and only big cities would have an abundance of WiFi spots for those without a wireless router at home.

Another issue is one that plagued the PSP due to the many console ports it got, which is the lack of two analog sticks. Right away, the 3DS is getting Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Metal Gear Solid 3, the latter of which got a big re-release that added direct camera control on the right stick, so how much of an issue could that become now that the 3DS is powerful enough to accept PSP-style ports of the many multiplatform games that come out each year? I don't see the stylus being an acceptable alternate for camera control since it limits you to having the left shoulder button as your only available button and putting a bunch of contextual buttons on the touch screen.

The last new issue is the price of the games, which seems to be $40 for the launch lineup according to Amazon. People were turned off by $50 and $40 PSP games around its launch and the $40 DS games that Square Enix released, so I'm wondering how people will react to $40 to $50 3DS games after being used to $20 to $30 games for the past six years. Will the $250 system condition people to paying more of a premium for the games?

As a follow up with the potential PSP 2 being revealed next week, what should Sony's reaction to the hardware and software sales of the PSP for the past year and a half of its revival and observation of how people are reacting to 3DS news, pricing, and features feed into their handling of their new system? Should they attempt to match the 3DS' pricing after all of the hype that it's received or undercut the prices knowing that the PSP has survived and succeeded for last year and a half mainly because of Japan and one IP.

Cheapy, Wombat, Shipwreck, salutations. I was looking through some old CAG media and I saw that you put up a video of the first hour of Mass Effect. I actually decided to watch it as it was still up and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I thought you guys were hilarious and I got a kick out of seeing your initial impressions. Do you have any future plans to do another gameplay video? (Saints Row 3, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2, A multiplayer session of Assasins Creed or something). If so, what game might it be?

Hey guys!

I was just reading the latest Mass Effect novel and wanted to ask you this!

Do you guys think that the Mass Effect universe has the potential to make a movie trilogy that could be as big as the original three star wars movies were back in the 70'-80's if they were to be released as big production movies today? Also, what universe do you prefer out of the two?

PS. Cheapy you talked a lot about the first mass effect novel when you were reading it, have you read the other two?

Cheers
SwoXx

Okay, here's my vent and I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. I recently bought Shadow Broker, Overlord and Kasumi when it was on sale over the holidays. The rub on my predicament is that I bought these on my alternative gamertag, an account I don't play but had unused xbox live points on. Unknown to me and nowhere to be found during the purchasing of the DLCs, I was informed by EA support that my newly bought DLCs could not be shared across accounts on the same console. Basically, if you do not buy the DLC for the gamertag that you want to play it on, then you are shit out of luck. As this was not the case with Red Dead Redemption DLCs, Fall Out: New Vegas or any of the other DLC I've purchased over the past few years, I never even thought of the possibility of not being able to play my paid for DLC across gamertags on the same console. This just sounds like a fuck you from EA to its customers. I'm really going to be thinking twice on where my finite gaming dollars go in the future and EA will probably not be in the mix. What's your feeling on EA's policy of not allowing DLC access across a console?

Valve took a step forth with PS3 by adding the pc/mac versions for free with the PS3 version, will they take a step back due to the recent security issues with the PS3?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Hey Cheapy, Shipwreck, and Wombat,

What are your thoughts on the potential downsides of the 3DS that could be a chink in it's highly-hyped armor? I'll skip past the short battery life and hone in on a few more recent things. First, I saw on Wired that the 3DS will not launch with its 3DS Store, Web Browser, and DSi Import Features, which at least the lack of a store has to be a huge misstep with the way that Nintendo is trying to fix its online issues. Doesn't this oversight lead to a number of people that would buy a game or two at launch now end up waiting and forgetting about it all together, especially if they never update the system? This wouldn't be like the iPhone since it only accepts WiFi connections and only big cities would have an abundance of WiFi spots for those without a wireless router at home.

Another issue is one that plagued the PSP due to the many console ports it got, which is the lack of two analog sticks. Right away, the 3DS is getting Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Metal Gear Solid 3, the latter of which got a big re-release that added direct camera control on the right stick, so how much of an issue could that become now that the 3DS is powerful enough to accept PSP-style ports of the many multiplatform games that come out each year? I don't see the stylus being an acceptable alternate for camera control since it limits you to having the left shoulder button as your only available button and putting a bunch of contextual buttons on the touch screen.

The last new issue is the price of the games, which seems to be $40 for the launch lineup according to Amazon. People were turned off by $50 and $40 PSP games around its launch and the $40 DS games that Square Enix released, so I'm wondering how people will react to $40 to $50 3DS games after being used to $20 to $30 games for the past six years. Will the $250 system condition people to paying more of a premium for the games?

As a follow up with the potential PSP 2 being revealed next week, what should Sony's reaction to the hardware and software sales of the PSP for the past year and a half of its revival and observation of how people are reacting to 3DS news, pricing, and features feed into their handling of their new system? Should they attempt to match the 3DS' pricing after all of the hype that it's received or undercut the prices knowing that the PSP has survived and succeeded for last year and a half mainly because of Japan and one IP.[/QUOTE]

Very true Frisky, but in my opinion, the 3DS touch-screen does make for a favorable input for camera control. Because not only can you assign camera control to it but other commands. What do you guys think?

bread's done
Back