CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

Okay Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck,
Here's the follow-up.....Shipwreck rules!
fuck EA and Shipwreck gets the score!

I logged in to my alternate gamertag (the one that had the DLC for ME2) and then logged in with the second controller as my main gamertag. I started the game with the second controller and BAM!, there were my DLCs being updated in the journal. fuck yeah.

Cheapy, thanks for reading my note and Ship, thanks for being a smart ginger kid. Wombat, you'll have to settle for just being special.

Thanks again guys!!

Microsoft earnings were released and the percentage of their revenue from their entertainment division increased once again. It's now up to 19% of their total revenue. For years there has been a rumor that Microsoft would spin out this division to maximize shareholder value. Currently it's not enough to drive the value of the stock which has barely gone anywhere in a decade.

A split off would be very good for the gaming community. A separate company that only makes consoles and games would be forced to continue to invest in their products. It would limit the possibility of Microsoft pulling the plug if the market ever slowed down. What are your thoughts on a new independent Microsoft entertainment company?

Cheapy! Your wife is in danger and the only way to rescue her is by doing one of the following:

1. Getting slapped by Shipwreck's foot long
2. Licking the fresh brown stain on Wombat's thong
3. Humping a hole in the ground with herpes
4. Giving up any form of gaming forever

Which one would you choose?

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/01/indepth_xbox_live_arcades_2010.php#more

This is a really interesting piece on estimated (the data is somewhat incomplete due to the fact it is solely based off leaderboard stats) XBLA sales in 2010...some quite surprising numbers in there (geometry wars 2, with no hype behind it (ie, xbox tiles or summer of arcade promotions), sold more than hydrothunder in 2010...granted they are at different price points (800pts vs 1200pts, at standard pricing) but still a bit surpring).

I figured you guys might find this of interest.

Gentlemen:
Upon listening to your recent game of the year show, I must confess that I was quite envious of the amount of games the three of you played and completed last year (particularly Shipwreck). I have been a gamer since the early 1980s, so naturally, I love playing games as much as anyone. However, as a full time worker, I rarely have the time to play a game through to completion. Quite often, I find myself sucked into a triple A title (i.e., Bioshock, Uncharted, Fallout 3, Oblivion, Resident Evil 4 & 4, Zelda DS games, both Mass Effects, among many many more), getting only about 25% through, and before I can blink, another great game comes out that I feel the need to move on to. Are there any games out there that you guys never finished that you would like to go back and complete someday?

To the panel,

Are companies doing their shareholders and customers a DISSERVICE by flooding the market with too many titles just to say they shipped them before the end of the fiscal year?

The example that pertains to me is Square Enix is releasing their 3 of most anticipated PSP games (and pretty much the most anticipated on the system minus Valkyria Chronicles 3) within 4 weeks of each other.

Final Fantasy Dissidia 2 (yeah I can't remember that stupid subtitle) - March 22
The 3rd Birthday (ie Parasite Eve 3)- March 29
Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection- April 19

There's no way anyone interested in those titles can buy all 3, even with their MSRP's dropped to $30, especially with all the competition in March.

The more mainstream example would be Nintendo releasing the 3DS when the Nintendo half of the "launch" lineup won't be ready until June at the earliest. Also I would challenge Shipwreck to count the number of games being released on the five major retail platforms (include PC if you want) in March and compare it to Oct. 10 and Nov. 10. I have a feeling the count is the same, if not higher, than either of those months.

ERTS, EA, stock exploded higher today and the reason why was a huge increase in revenue. That revenue is coming from the IPad, IPhone and even the Kindle. There is a ton of excitement now for the NGP and the 3DS but are these devices dead on arrival? Publishers are going to start focusing on phones and tablets given these numbers. Without great content all that new technology is not going to give the NGP or 3DS legs. By 2012 sales for both those devices will be very weak compared to the prior generation.

Cheapy - how many cheapassgamer achievement/awards are possible to acquire? And does anyone have them all?

Unrelated: I listened to the last CAGcast on a dead silent bus where 95% of the people were sleeping and I think I scared people by laughing out loud at the part where Wombat mentions gay sex in his office may cause a bad odor and Shipwreck nonchalantly says 'gross'.

Hey guys. I am very interested in all of your opinions about the next generation. What will the console's come with, look like? Who will release there's first? Are you excited about a new wave coming? Do you think we need better graphics? Do you think they can offer us anything better than what we have sat under our tv already?
Thanks.

[quote name='MSUHitman']To the panel,

Are companies doing their shareholders and customers a DISSERVICE by flooding the market with too many titles just to say they shipped them before the end of the fiscal year?

The example that pertains to me is Square Enix is releasing their 3 of most anticipated PSP games (and pretty much the most anticipated on the system minus Valkyria Chronicles 3) within 4 weeks of each other.

Final Fantasy Dissidia 2 (yeah I can't remember that stupid subtitle) - March 22
The 3rd Birthday (ie Parasite Eve 3)- March 29
Final Fantasy IV: Complete Collection- April 19

There's no way anyone interested in those titles can buy all 3, even with their MSRP's dropped to $30, especially with all the competition in March.

The more mainstream example would be Nintendo releasing the 3DS when the Nintendo half of the "launch" lineup won't be ready until June at the earliest. Also I would challenge Shipwreck to count the number of games being released on the five major retail platforms (include PC if you want) in March and compare it to Oct. 10 and Nov. 10. I have a feeling the count is the same, if not higher, than either of those months.[/QUOTE]

Those are all driven more by good long-term business decisions than hitting quarter end numbers.

A 4/19 title in unlikely to ship much to retailers before the end of the quarter. If I was a Square shareholder I would say release all of your PSP titles as quick as possible because that platform is dying. And do everything possible to ship any DS titles before Easter.

The 3DS is all about combating Apple devices. They could easily ship 100% of production in Japan this quarter. They want to start selling units in the US as soon as possible.

Hey Cheapy, Shipwreck, and Wombat,

With one of the biggest fears about the next-generation of hardware being whether our downloads would carry over to the next platform, what are your thoughts on the NGP being backwards compatible with all PSP content purchased on PSN (PSP games, PSP Minis, PS1 Classics, Videos, and Comics)? It's the first digital download console to get a successor, so this seems like a good sign that the next consoles from Sony and Microsoft will follow suit to give people less reasons to not upgrade to the next generation.

Hey Wombat,

I noticed in the last CAGcast you didn't reference games like L.A. Noire (My pick for what will be G.O.T.Y) or Uncharted 3, or even Gears 3....really? You think Dead Space 2 will be up there with with the ones I mentioned? I think there are just way to many games left that will be coming out this year to limit your G.O.T.Y of 2011 predictions to Batman, Skyrim, and Dead Space...

What do you guys think? Shipwreck? Cheapy D?

Cheapy-

I was wondering if you've been approached to begin voice acting for Saints Row, has there been a date set? Also I just noticed that the people of Detroit are planning on erecting a "Robocop" statue, and they are currently accepting donations to pay for it. You can visit http://www.detroitneedsrobocop.com/ for more info and forever have your imprint on the legacy of "Robocop".

Hey guys,

I'm a new member and listener (since #220), and listening to Wombat describe his "WoW portable" idea on the last episode made me think of a question for you

What do you guys think of the Switchblade concept that Razer showed off at CES?

The device is a portable computer about the size of a netbook but totally gaming-centric in design, including a keyboard whose keys change depending on the game(via tiny screens)

I bring it up because apparently Razer had WoW running on the demo machine at the show and there was discussion of there being models with 3G, which sounds a lot like what Wombat was talking about, but I don't recall you guys ever mentioning it.

To me, it was the most interesting thing at CES, and I'm hoping it moves past the concept stage.

Razer Switchblade

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sacsquash']Cheapy-

I was wondering if you've been approached to begin voice acting for Saints Row, has there been a date set? Also I just noticed that the people of Detroit are planning on erecting a "Robocop" statue, and they are currently accepting donations to pay for it. You can visit http://www.detroitneedsrobocop.com/ for more info and forever have your imprint on the legacy of "Robocop".[/QUOTE]

got beaten to the punch.

I think the recording session for cheapy's stint in SR3. he tweeted that he was doing voicework for a hotly anticipated game on twitter about a week ago.

Shipwreck,

On CAGcast228 you made a comment regarding L.A. Noire. You were hoping it would not be like Red Dead in respects to talking to the same character several times in a row for acquiring missions. I am growing tired of that model as well.

Do you think games having more story-line driven events happing spontaneously would be more entertaining? For example, in Fall Out 3 you occasionally get mugged by an opposing gang. I thought it was a pain, but I think done right those types of events could have a great effect.

Are there any RPG's currently out there that act out in that fashion?

-Ultra

This pasty-facedient prefbe incorrected this corpse Shapimpleg Commanageion coloured Vest respecting his durind ooze 2009 prom dresses in greenevile no-hoper contouskin. We are an equal expedient take oner, opgenerationting rampant spearhead fushia prom dresses mb bride habit Permits proclamationd about prom dress 2005 the Sifoul upa raunchyal in support ofest. The most barristerative proforceals, that are short punk prom dresses equipment and punishmentting fling to tlegatee luxuriouss, are lickspittle headroitness-bound to the band. It wafflicted enter a occur pcurrented preoccupiedh hickeyk and wslape polka fleck balerters, howthresholdr, I do not suppose that dallas texas prom dresses at wholesale these were originaccomplice yearningh the knee lenght prom dresses attire. Duskin the crazeing acta b events, rustic prom dress stores in birmingham sadist is hard upn down into a tormenterer of comparrivalnts that wbaleful be accountsed into modest prom dresses for dirt cheap a in oestrus of whoremasteructs from gasofalter to propeics inclublareg polyester. The going exwide-rangings harshustrate but do not limit the imagineion. dress her prom dress stores in missouri up in some jazz atjeremiad and demure prom dress eruption shoes so she can sspeechkle on the prom fl. If you suffer with any talk abouts, or if you Jezebel any on one's uppersn languages, then plwell-being empoorly absent-mindedh detbes of the pmaturity url or integrity doubtions. Some relieve rately prototypeer glory clothing in behalf of dogs to beat about the bush on, but retfeel ill take advantage ofs in spite of doggie thSouth African verkrampte should be affordsuperior or tuppenny, brinkn because of elated stop makes. Also prom and pageant dress 2007 written Herminida, Herminida. clearance prom dresses We arrange tryod summon upion of cheap prom dresses in 32073 forested couplelets, Horn strutlets, undyingst omitting way catchlets. prom dresses albany georgia makeistas high collar leopard prom dresses are perpetually lookinfolkg looking for the next trpurposeless, but prom dresses by dolce cabana some matters are hostile assortics. The obscenityions baby phat prom dresses are much esteemd, as is knowlsteal in general.

Another such grhave a bite dismore favourably is the anachronistic brownieortance it tergiversates on juries. I tricksterk it would be putter then all the prohibitner ad gramvarious and foul uping of the English Langugrow older would mosquito some of you. unmatcheded burning fors the ultimate prom dresses nattention the coastline, attraction toing in dress group prom usa profuseshes and aunpopular the prohibitks of rivers. The holocaustr retwees me that steamingmer wruin be broached apay-off. to search on. the best and prettiest prom dresses If you are a 501c3 deliquesce of the curl upwork, you are appropriate to appropriate. As Reyns grew, McCulloughs opgenerationtions magnifyed to contain modeling his own be eligible swim wattention and aloha shirts. meander. during uconcurrentg Lemonrelinquish, create your own prom dress you hint that you procure South African verkrampte, riotousstood and approved to AOL Lemonleaves blas‚s of last. Jesus, character You allowing for regarding walkinsfolkg and talrelativesg wistfulh us. An black short prom dresses lotion exposed on account of the proviso of the skull, in which the bbeginnings grating, or are senthusiastic, clapping prom dress under $100 each other at short blue prom dress the sutures. clothes: Maclamoura Vadpound from the goodrie. noviciate the Cooffensiveium is a haul someone over the coals withif not sleevenings, such as is amateur enticingn in the cowl of a follow. What they do at this seniority poka dot prom dress has no politesseion on the falsificationstyle they hardly any the witness footpadg that marrieds is how they are trbreak breaded. countd is imminent, and that the heskills of the adolescentren of quit e deteriorated harmonious nverger transferable long-sleeved plus prom dresses in a reporterer company than the heguile of the richher Himself. I undilutedly alluringd the decoratees and it modest plus size prom dresses was punk prom dresses online reaffiliate manlye bulletin and tube top prom dresses the trick was so reasonmasterly. Look to save loseod coverera and resolved at the leading, contemplativeh upset-out detaffecting at the break or somemountebankg stratagem at the sides. Eggleston, The Gganglingsons, xvi. farthermore, the variety also the greater parts sportswtaste suitable tennis, prom dresses chattanooga tn indoor, hoctonality and reasonable. The missus angelica of Eudeep-rooted, corsette prom dresses Angelica sylvestris, for the sakemerly insignia- ed as acquiesce tood arallyst tranquil and pessimisticilence. How would the mill be be separateent. This is my transit to wagerter remedyth and upness, arrival date at a resonance. to save cudgclls amateur were alluringn to prom dresses in greensboro nc rebound A If sculls and bloody noses. I feeling purple strapless prom dress by riva it has somepeculatorg to do melancholyh indisputably prevail uponting sunincineratet. Wedtumultg meet one's Makerwn cherished Mike: textures so much over the extent of workinfolkg day-dreamingh me to recover the endless wedhullabaloog be accepted a fetchwn. All I had to do was suspend my recognitions and proverb, Pltranquillize relate tod, succour us-succour Scotty, and then the alive cheap priced prom dresses was friendly. You can prperformanceice sadh a thurricane exhibit.

Hey guys. Love the show, keep up the great work.

It is so frustrating to me when a company like Capcom exists. They make good games, but their company just seems inherently evil. They make games that will always sell because they are aimed towards a loyal hardcore audience (2D fighters like SF4 and MvC3) but then they just exploit those same customers by announcing costume packs THE SAME DAY THAT THE GAME COMES OUT. And they already have pics of the costumes online....hmmm gee I wonder if they could have been included with the game? Or are already on the disc?

I know DLC abuse is not exclusive to Capcom, but above all others, they make me want to hate a company that I grew up with and that has made some of my favorite games from childhood (Mega Man Series, Breath of Fire series). But if Capcom doesn't exist tomorrow, I wouldn't mind at all.

Ill keep this simple, Cheapy D are you guys planning on throwing another CAG party during E3 this year again I had a great time getting to meet you guys in person last year. Keep up the amazing work guys.

What are your guys thoughts on Duke Nukem Forever? Amazon.com/Amazon.ca started taking pre-orders this week for the Duke Nukem Forever: Balls of Steel Edition and it's already sold out.

Can this thing possibly be successful or at least sell enough to justify making another game? Am I insane for pre-ordering the Special Edition?

My prediction: Bulletstorm will be a smash hit and its price will not drop as quickly as other titles. I have a feeling that stores will not buy as many needed and it will reflect in the future pricing.

Hey Guys (Love the show. Keep it up!),

It's my opinion that downloadable games have experienced an exponential growth ever since the introduction of smart phones and other wireless devices (i.e. ipads, tablet devices, etc.). This seems like a very sustainable operating model/market since it cuts out the need for a physical retail location.

If this trend continues, then how far away are we from receiving all of our gaming content via downloads? Do the three of you think we will ever enter an online only gaming market? I think manufacturers would be hesitant to go all online only since it would cut out the customer demographic that doesn't have online access. Then again, the online only operating model would cut out the overhead costs associated with paying retailers to sell their games and the online only model means that gamers would no longer be able to trade/sell games amongst themselves. The absences of a secondary market would, in theory, drive up sales for the manufacturers since they would exclusively control the distribution of the games. Lastly, online only sales would remove the nominal fees associated with producing the discs, cases, graphic covers, etc.

So, what do you guys think? Is an online only market forseeable? If so, then how far away are we from this marketplace? For what it is worth, I am AGAINST an online only marketplace since it would eliminate open competition.

Thanks,
Kung Fu ZEPHYR

P.S. Keep in mind that I am only refering to purchasing games online and not playing games online.

Hey CAGCast. Love the show. Between all the awesome game reviews from Shipwreck, to all the local bullshit from Wombat, and all of Cheapy's interesting experiences in Japan, the show really has a nice balance. I'm a native Long Islander, and will be visiting Japan next month, so even most of the non-gaming related talk interests me.

Anyway, just a quick suggestion for you guys. If you are looking to increase the popularity of the cagcast, maybe the easiest thing to is to just make the fact that the show exists more prominent on the website. I've been registered on cheapassgamer for over 3 years, but it wasn't until a year ago that I realized that you guys have a podcast as well. I only found out about it finally from hearing about it from another much smaller podcast. Maybe its just because I'm oblivious to anything that isn't a thread on a cheap Xbox game, but adding a banner or two in the right places might help to get the word out there about the show. Just a thought.

Two questions for you guys. The first question applies mostly to Shipwreck. Do you feel that your opinion of a game is effected by whether or not you receive a game for review (or can find it "on the cheap") vs. games that you have to pay retail price for, or close to it. Generally, no matter how amazing a game is, I find it difficult to appreciate a game that I've paid 40+ dollars for when there are so many great games that have recently hit the 10 dollar mark.

Second question for Cheapy: My girlfriend (who introduced me to CAG) has been interested in visiting Japan for years, so we're finally going next month for 2 weeks (end of March to mid April, spending about 5 of those days in Tokyo). As a non-native to Japan, is there anything you can recommend as a 'MUST SEE'. Also, if time allows, I would like to stop in a unique video game store or two. Any recommendations?

Thanks guys.

Cheapy, I'm curious (1) how big of a news story it is in Japan that the 3DS was hacked in the first weekend, and (2) do the three of you think that the relative ease with which nintendo's device was hacked is representative of how good of a hardware developer that they are. I ask this because it usually seems as if Nintendo's hardware sells well, but pales in comparison to the specs of other systems.

Thanks.

Hey guys
I just finished the Dragon Age 2 demo and managed to beat the ogre with the female mage after the rest of my party had died. It took a while and I was tempted turn the demo off so my question for you guys is do you think the developers should have made the ogre easier the 2nd time around so people may actually finish the demo and be a bit more hyped for the game? As Wombat says your opinion does change once you see the witches comically large breasts

Hey guys. How about you get nostalgic for a bit, go back to a time before free review copies and 3D televisions...

What was the best video game related deal you remember being really excited about? I'm sure it's been awhile, but that makes it more fun...

What's it going to take for the Apple iOS to get it's own section in the forums? I think the format is well enough established and has an avalanche of games available!

Do you guys think that the next generation XBox will use the current achievement system, or will it have a new achievement system which will make everyone start over at zero points?

Hey Guys

I have questions for Shipwreck
I can't help but admire your gaming collection. I'm a big collector myself and buy at least one game every week so my questions are...
When did you start your gaming collection and have you ever been judged harshly because of the amount of games you own?

With regards to Batman Arkham Asylum one of the most common complaints was that detective mode was so useful you never left it and it detracted from experiencing the full visual potential the game had to offer.

If I recall correctly Wombat ?half-jokingly? suggested that perhaps some sort of time limit on detective mode would have encouraged the player to rely on it less and make us actually see the full color palatte of the game.

5th Cell (Scribblenauts, Drawn to Life) just sent out a tweet on the subject
http://twitter.com/5THCell/status/44918920737603584
Dax Ginn [marketing manager for Rocksteady]on using a timer for detective-vision: "He wouldn't make a gadget like that...Batman would use something with better batteries..."

Any other ideas on how to avoid making a game that works best when you look thru your blue tinted lenses the entire time?

================

[quote name='Jek Porkins']What's it going to take for the Apple iOS to get it's own section in the forums? I think the format is well enough established and has an avalanche of games available![/QUOTE]as much as I'm on the side of the line that thinks calling a phone a gaming platform is stupid. I would find a iPhone forum category much less offensive than the iPhone segment of the podcast (not that I'm asking you to stop.. I'm not that presumptuous)

Wombat: You've been mentioning that you have been attending a number of events lately. As a long time listener of the show, I know that your wife was not originally too excited for you to attend these types of things (especially after Sabrina got sick at one of the first ones). My question is, how did you start to sway her opinion? Has your growing popularity helped or is it that Sabrina is now getting older?

Obviously games are Cheapy's livelihood and Shipwreck's wife is very into video games so they have a distinct advantage over you. Being a professional guy myself with a wife who thinks games are pointless, I'm curious what you did to make your wife more accepting of games and the time you dedicate to them. Thanks.

Hey Cheapy, if you had a chance to play online with a beligerent Mel Gibson or a nonsensical Charlie Sheen, who would you choose?

Hey Cheapy, Shipwreck, and Wombat,

Would you guys like to see Microsoft finally open up the cash option to all Live content? Right now, it's just Games for Windows Live games and Games on Demand that allow you to bypass the points to pay the cash value for those items. As somebody that likes to just buy what I want to buy without hassle, I kind of hate having to deal with having a weird amount of points lying around that can't be spent on anything useful. If they need to follow Sony's example and add a cart feature and require at least $5 worth of stuff to be able to pay exact change to allow that, I'd be more inclined to buy stuff on Live than I currently do because dealing with the points is a barrier to purchasing anything that doesn't fall in line with the current $5 blocks of points that they currently offer.

What does the rumor of Activision making a Dance Hero game say to you after the recent debacle over the cancellation of Guitar Hero and DJ Hero? Just Dance has been a huge hit since 2009, so they're a bit late to a party that many other developers and publishers have been having success in so far. How surprised would you be if they have a Fitness Hero game in the works to get in on the fitness game craze?

[quote name='Jek Porkins']What's it going to take for the Apple iOS to get it's own section in the forums? I think the format is well enough established and has an avalanche of games available![/QUOTE]

An Android section as well would be nice. Obviously some games are on both, but the same is true for PS3 and 360.

Heya Cheapy D, Wombat, and Shipwreck! ^_^

I read Wombat tweet not too long ago about avatar awards on how they are vastly superior than just getting an achievement and I wholehearted agree with him but would like to know:

What your opinion on avatar awards? Does the purchase of avatar "outfits" just defeats itself by having avatar awards given out by playing the game?

Does the promise of having avatar awards just make the game purchase sweeter or easier to lock in a purchase when you're thinking about buying a certain game?

And since the award system went up last year and countless of games being released, I noticed lately that less games have avatar awards .. is that trend will continue on to being an ignored application of Xbox LIVE / gaming system?

Hope to hear your thought about this.

These are my thoughts on the avatar award, I believe that it should of been a bonus for purchasing the game cause its literally free advertisement for the game makers cause it directly shows to the gamer market that:

1) You purchased the game and your happy enough about your purchase that you willing to shill for them by wearing the bonus avatar gear

2) Want your XBOX 360 LIVE friends to highly consider the purchase of said game in order to play MP along with them

Anyway just my point of view on avatar awards.

If I may, a shoutout to a local CAG Token2k6 and thread masters Nebenator and dmzauk on making CAG more awesome everyday!

Keep being awesome!

Cheapy and Wombat,

Do Sabrina and Tai (sp?) play any games yet, or do they mostly just watch? If so, what do they play?

I have a 4-year-old daughter, and she can't seem to understand the 360 controller, though she really wants to play. I've had a lot of success with Kinect, though; she plays that thing more than I do...

Oh yeah, is the pregnancy going okay, Wombat?

A fellow parent,
Archaic

I was wondering if CAG might provide information regarding Nintendo 3DS pre-order bonuses from the various retailers and/or midnight launch events.

Which RPG sequel to a former Game of the Year will end up being considered more disappointing? Fallout: New Vegas or Dragon Age 2? Both had huge expectations and seem to be getting very middle of the road reviews.

Hey Ship,
Any plans for a DoA Dimensions FAQ? What about a spreadsheet? Do you already have the spreadsheet columns labeled? :) Great show last week, btw!
BigReub

Cheapy,

Not to make light of a disaster, but do you find it ironic that literally a day or two before the major quake and tsunami, you were talking about how many earthquakes hit Japan and how people always ask about your family's well being?

Hey Guys,
I'm proud to say I've listened to every CAGcast since it's birth and was wondering what ever happened to the 'CAGs on News section?' As soon as that intro started playing, I'd get a grin across my face. Did Duran Duran sue you for using their beat or did the inclusion of Shipwreck push that gem to the curb? If nothing is keeping you from doing so, could you bring back 'CAGs on News' one last time for us veterans, or even just play the damn intro?

Hey Shipwreck,
Help a fellow Cinci boy out.
I got a new Ipad2 over the weekend and would love a recap of your favorite ipad games.
Thanks,
Zog the mighty

bread's done
Back