CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

Hello CAGcasters,

Super disappointed to hear your negative review on the 3DS with a less than subtle indication that iOS makes 3DS obsolete. (Cheapy's "get an iphone" braying at the end of the segment was especially flame-baiting)

Do you really think that a phone that has no button inputs and that requires an expensive data plan is an adequate replacement for a dedicated gaming handheld? I have an ipod Touch and I had the honeymoon period with the 99 cent games that has since faded into regret filled itunes bills in my inbox.

Ipod games are as substantial to anything but the most casual of gamers as a the McDonalds dollar menu is to anything but the most unhealthy people. Games that don't use buttons are usually simple throwaway matters, and games that attempt to emulate traditional controls with touch are an unplayable mess.

A future without dedicated handheld gaming devices is truly a sad one. App store games are an unacceptable replacement for the hours of fun I and many others have had with hundreds of classic GBA, DS, and PSP titles over the years. I really would hate to see that go away because touch controls and 99 cent flash game ripoffs were "good enough". Many would say that Motion Sports titles and Party games are "good enough" and we don't need new AAA development either..

Sorry for the long question. Feel free to abbreviate and summarize if you choose to address it in the show. Basically asking for Iphone to replace game handhelds is a dangerous thing and there's no reason both markets can't exist side by side. If you think Nintendo's making any more profit off 3DS launch margins and $40 games than Apple is making on deals with network providers and their cut of app store sales, you're mistaken.

They're all greedy. Not to mention's apple's awful practice of blocking old devices from downloading newer apps by making newer firmwares not work on old devices - forcing you to upgrade to the newer tech. Combined with an almost yearly upgrade cycle, they're as bad or worse than Nintendo at "refreshing" their hardware.. At least DS games made in 2011 still work on the DS released in 2005. Not so with modern app store games or 1st or even 2nd or sometimes 3rd gen iphones.

Also as an aside to the battery life complaints: My ipod touch 4th gen barely will last over an hour or two playing a graphically intense game like Infinity Blade with Wi-Fi on. More powerful devices use more power, while they seem to keep getting smaller, with less space for a battery. It's a problem with lots of modern devices and phones and I wish you'd address that instead of singling out the 3DS like Nintendo is the only one who hasn't figured out some new revolutionary battery tech. NGP likely will suffer from the same problem, especially if it uses 3G.

Last edited:
Hey.

First time writer.
Cheapy, if i rembember you were a fan of Alan Wake.
I have bought a 360 for the second time and i am now playing Alan Wake and loving it, i might just say its one of my favorit games ever, so if you have played and would recommend a DLC which should i get?

Thanks
Nick from Sweden

You guys were asking what the real point of the psn+ Cloud feature was.

Well, I was playing ME2 and some how ended up with a corrupt game save(I posted about it in the ME2 PS3 thread). Every time I tried to load that game save my ps3 would crash. I used Cloud to replace the save with one from the day before and it worked just fine. I lost about an hour of play time which is not bad at all.

Not having to replay 20 hours of ME2 on Insanity is well worth whatever psn+ cost me this month. I do wish they made it easier to upload game saves or even automagically upload saves would be awesome.

Oh man, Cheapy, your matzo balls between Jews legs comment made me laugh harder than any CAGcast joke thus far. And I'm Jewish btw.

One question for next week? What would you each say is your FAVORITE video game genre? You have been playing alot of racing games it seems while Wombat plays 'who knows what' and Shipwreck plays everything... but what's the FAVE GENRE regardless of console?

Hey CAGcast Crew,

I was wondering what your opinion is on the increasing amount of products getting "Game of the Year" or "Ultimate Editions" that come out a year from the product's initial launch is. To me, it seems that a consistent set of companies, namely Bethesda, EA, Rockstar, etc. come out with products that inevitably get GOTY editions a year later. Do you think the consistency to which this happen could potentially hurt their business years down the line if people realize in mass that it always seems to happen.

Dear Cagcast,

Do you think steam releasing portal 2 "early" was the reason Best Buy decided to significantly lower the price on portal 2 pre-orders?

With the release of Portal 2, do you think Valve has given up on Half Life: Episode 3 and just decided to conclude the story with Half Life 3? Episode 2 was probably one of the biggest cliff hangers I have ever played and that was three and a half years ago.

Hey Cheapy!

Being a fan of hockey myself, I was wondering what your favorite hockey team is, and who you are rooting for in the playoffs?? Plus this gives you a chance to talk hockey instead of the football (which I also enjoy) talk wombat and shipwreck sometimes throw in. Anyways great show!

Hey wombat ;)
I'm a long time listener but I've never used the site much. I was wondering if there was a way to view any Australian deals if there are any.
We get fucked hard over here.
Also whats the meaning of "breads done" at the end of every podcast? last episode was the funniest thing i ever heard.
Hi shipwreck and cheapy.
I love you wombat

Last edited by a moderator:
cheapy, wombat and shipwreck do you guys think that rockstar are killing of the GTA series by releasing similar type sandbox games like red dead redemption and La noire. The success of red dead and the anticipation of la noire could mean rockstar wont find a need in releasing another GTA game and try to focus on making other titled sandbox games

Hey Cheapy, Wombat, and Shipwreck,

What do you guy think about the PS3 version of MK getting an exclusive character and the Xbox 360 not having one because Ed Boon was told not to by a "higher up" in an interview?

Hey guys,

What do you want from Nintendo's next home console? Do you still want the waggle? If so, how would you like to see it 'improved'?

Cheers!

[quote name='Chase']Hey guys,

What do you want from Nintendo's next home console? Do you still want the waggle? If so, how would you like to see it 'improved'?

Cheers![/QUOTE]

They specifically talked about this on the last CAGcast already. Give it a listen. (Summary: boo waggle. Assumed HD. Better have some good games)

Hey CAGcast crew,

I love the show. When I started lurking in 2007, CAGcast was my third rated podcast. As of 08/2010, CAGcast is my number one gaming podcast.

I have my foot in my mouth (say hi to Wombat). I wanted to begin this post mentioning that i'm an African-American. I felt like I needed to make this point due to CheapyD saying stuff like: I know someone..."who happens to be a black man". CheapyD's comments, in an African-American context, are ambiguous. I can't tell if CheapyD is a racist or not (say hi to fish sandwhich man, and angry black man at E3), even though he sometimes attempts to clarify misunderstandings. I was ready to rant with the main motivation being CheadyD is a racist douche.

However, while looking at youtube videos to find the date of my CAG affinity, I came across the video of CheapyD playing table tennis with Wally Green. It allowed me to see CheapyD in his private life not being racist, especially his comment after the video.

So, I shouldn't judge CheapyD if I don't know him personally. Now I realize that if I am uncomfortable with CheapyD, and we don't become friends, it's probably because we are just douches not racist douches. But I just can't get enough of the 2 + 1 = 3 (hi Shipwreck) of you guys on the CAGcast.

Finally, I often go for weeks without listening, then I like listening in bunches. The CAGcast is timeless! The pop culture is the best of any gaming podcast, including the intro/outro and the Robocop gun. The only podcast out of five that is able to hold my attention consistently. My suggestion to get more visitors is to show video of CheapyD playing games. I wanna see Cheapy play Mortal Kombat and Battlefield BC2. I wanna see how Cheapy designs his character models in Saints Row 2. It is satisfying because we don't have these games, but we read and hear you talk about them, seeing you play them is like facebook for VIDEOgames. (By the way gerstman, you suck at games.) Also, Shipwreck could commentate (doubt he has time), and Wombat could critique the overall gameplay.

I'm out.

Guys keep up the great work! Love the cagcast. And thanks again for the netflix recommendation of Spartacus Cheapy.

Here's a question for all of you guys, if you were could go back and remake one video game from the last 10 years, what game would you remake and why?

Hello Cheapy, Wombat, and Shipwreck.

I have been listening for the last 150 episodes, and I can firmly say this is my favorite podcast.

Were you part of any gaming clubs, forums, sites, or services before you reached stardom?

Also, I know you have answered this before, but you kind of shrugged it off last time. What do you think your kids will think of this show when listening in 10-15 years.

Thanks for the many hours.
BrownWing

ATTENTION: This message is for Cheapy. If you read this over the air make sure Wombat, Shipwreck and any listeners who haven't seen Spartacus: Blood and Sand or God of the Arena should plug their ears.

Hey Cheapy in Spartacus: Blood and Sand, Crixus was undefeated. However before Crixus there was Gannicus, who was undefeated in the Gods of the Arena series. When Titus Batiatus had all the gladatiors square off, the two undefeated gladiators (Crixus and Gannicus) fought. Gannicus lost on purpose so that whe wouldn't have to see Melitta anymore.

When Gannicus finally won the primus he was granted freedom. But before he left Crixus said "We have not had proper contest". "Win your freedom and seek me out" was Gannicus reply. According to history, Spartacus, Crixus and Oenomaus led the slave revolt. Eventually Crixus is going to track down Gannicus.

Who do you you think would win the fight between Gannicus and Crixus?

Hey wombat, cheapy and shipwreck.
Being the Macdaddies that you guys are I was wondering if you guys remember the name of the first girl OR guy that you had sex with.
I just thought it would be interesting if you guys remembered that "special first time".
I'm pretty sure shipwrecks first time was with mrs shipwreck; and cheapy and wombats first time was together. I could be wrong though.

Being married, with kids, it's harder to find time to play, but I still end up buying games (especially with the great deals I find here on CAG). With time, my game collection has really grown and now I have a huge collection of backlog games. And since I don't like getting ripped off, I don't trade-in my games anymore.
Do you guys have a big game collection? Or do you trade-in your games once you are done with them?

What will Sony give-a-way as compensation for the fucked up network service? Free Game? Free Qriocity? Free Handjobs? Free Transvestite?

Hey Gentlemen,

I believe you all are iOS fans (especially Cheapy), but what's your take on the Android/iOS game market differences? A recent study (See here) shows that Android is the most desirable platform, not to mention the millions of people out there who have Android phones.

Segmentation aside, what do you believe makes game developers either not try on Android at all or simply put out terrible ports of 5-year-old games and forget about them? It seems as if there's almost a gold mine in Android (especially with Amazon's fancy new market out) but no one, besides Rovio, seems to have taken a hand in it.

CheapyD and/or Wombat. How about a question not PSN related?

What would you say are the items you used most with your children when they were infants? Anything that is in the books as "must haves" but are totally worthless? (Do we really need that wipe warmer?)

We've got twins on the way, due in September. Finding out the genders next week.

Hello, my beloved entertainers.

I have a question that may take some thought but I am interested in your answers.

If you could have any game reimagined, what would it be? What would you like to see improved?

I have some questions for you guys: Why don't PSN users have a class-action lawsuit against the hackers that stole the information? Why are so many people blaming Sony when the hackers are the ones causing the problems and breaking the law?

Jeff

fuck you cheapy, shipwreck,and slightly wombat for not answering any of my questions I hate yous right now and i give up on submitting questions to the Cagbag. I still love the show though and will always listen. but fuck you anyway.

1535.gif

[quote name='testudo']What will Sony give-a-way as compensation for the fucked up network service? Free Game? Free Qriocity? Free Handjobs? Free Transvestite?[/QUOTE]

Will Sony take credit for Osama bin Laden's death, as a reason why the PSN security was breached? Could be great PR... or is this just a great consipracy theory?

I GUESS WORD IS BOND:
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9078407

Can one of you explain to me why game journalists seem to hate E3? With it a month away I'm already hearing some of them moan and groan on podcasts when E3 comes up. If you love this industry, shouldn't this be the holy week for video games?

I know many people would love to be in their shoes to see and play games that the public hasn't and can't yet.

I want you to comment on the rumor of a microsoft console in 2012.
If true, does that put sony behind?
Do you think it's true?

If it is true what do you expect in terms of specs and games?

With the delay of Mass Effect 3, I've had that on my brain lately. I'm really hoping they don't follow the same marketing strategy as Dragon Age II. Take a look at their page listing bonus content: http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/info/bonus_items/ If you want a "complete" game, that's a lot of extra crap you have to do. I had the signature edition and I still had to enter 3 codes, and I still never had all of the stuff, which was/is frustrating.

What would you think of Mass Effect 3 utilizing the same strategy of a bajillion extras?

I know they said it was a complete fabrication, but I am looking for speculation.
Let's face it, if it were Sony saying it wasn't true, nobody would believe them.

First, thanks for the show! I'm a big fan. It has helped pass countless, otherwise unbearable hours, at work.

There's probably a 0% chance you guys would touch this subject, but I recently swapped my PS3 hardware, accessories, and games for store credit at my local game shop. I had been a 360/PS3 owner for the last 3 years. Loved Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Demon's Souls, and a lot of other offerings found only on the PS3. But lately, the divide between the PS3 and 360 was getting a lot bigger for me. All my multi-console releases have been purchased for 360. And all my online gaming is done via 360. Also recently had my first child, and I'm not going to lie; the time crunch definitely played a role in the decision. And so now, for the first time since 1996, I do not own a Sony console. It's kind of a sad day for me. I'm really going to miss Uncharted 3 and The Last Guardian.

Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck:

Whenever people post questions, I'm sure they hope they get read. However, I'm more interested in hearing you guys address this question than any other I've submitted because it's one that could possibly even be tied into the "Top Analysts" predictions.

Do you guys think that Sony will either elect to or be forced to devote some portion of their E3 Press Conference to Playstation Network Security?

Given what has transpired, I feel like the current debacle will be the proverbial 800 pound gorilla in the room every time Sony talks about Playstation Network (service or games) UNLESS Sony specifically addresses the issue.

Thanks. Hope you guys think its show-worthy.

Since the PSN downtime has extended much longer than anticipated...

Do you think Sony will extend the free offer for PSN+to 3 months (from 1)?
What about a free PSN+ 3 month sub for new hardware bundles in the near future just to make good to potential customers worried about the PlayStation Brand?

Could be a strategy to just to gain back user confidence (and hopefully recover lost revenue on the users that pay for a sub after the trial is over) - What do you think?

Hey CheapyD, Wombat, and Shipwreck

Have any of you heard of the Witcher? The equal is coming out and I know you are not really into PC gaming but if you like Dragon Age and other crpgs then you should take a look at it.. The equal is coming out next week and looks to be a awesome sequel.

[quote name='testudo']Cheapy, are you the one who dropped 5K for this? or did you just go with the 2.5K Exec. Producer credit? http://kck.st/ChToFairDoc[/QUOTE]
Well, now that you brought it to my attention, I went Exec. Producer and I just pushed the film over it's funding goal. Hooray!

Mrs Cheapy and I spent a lot of post-Dim Sum Saturday and Sundays at Chinatown Fair.

Hey Cheapy, Wombat, and Shipwreck I was listening to an older episode where CheapyD wanted to verse Gingerspice in a 1 on 1 basketball game at E3(not sure which one), and you guys said you would record it. I was just wondering if you guys ever had this battle of the greats or not and if you did where can I see the video.

Also I'm not sure if you answered this but where did you meet your current wives, and what slick moves did you guys use?

bread's done
Back