CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

What do you guys think of this CALL OF DUTY XP EVENT that's happening in September? Don't you think that the ticket prices are too steep? I think it's just another way for Activision to milk the franchise because we all know the fans boys would pay for it.

Do you want the next gen consoles to have digital distribution? What do you think about games coming out digitally the same day as retail?|

With Freddy Krueger being added to the MK roster, what other characters do you think would fit into the MK universe? Are you guys still playing Mortal Kombat?

[quote name='ObiBen']With Freddy Krueger being added to the MK roster, what other characters do you think would fit into the MK universe? Are you guys still playing Mortal Kombat?[/QUOTE]

Didn't they pretty much already have Freddy since MK2? He was called Baraka...

hey guys, I was wondering if you guys remember your first game you played on ps3 and 360 and if you enjoyed that game or not?

I appreciate that nothing new is really on the horizon except the Vita, but here goes..
If Microsoft or Sony where to announce a 360 or PS3 replacement and Nintendo where to flesh out their U considering the 3DS lack lustre release..

How quickly do you thing you would jump on the next console ? given the strength of the present consoles and piles of shame to be completed.

Would you let the new catalogue dictate a purchase or based on strong exclusives would you buy on a promise of a new Halo/Gears, Mario/Zelda or Uncharted/God of War in the future? as this second strategy hasn't really paid off on the 3DS.

As a foot note I'm sure shipwreck couldn't wait for any of them, Cheapy would be all over the 360+, and wombat could contain any excitement...But what do I know.

Being one of the few people to actually read Netflix's statement and be more realistic, I laugh every time someone says Netflix is nudging people to streaming-only. How does Cheapy feel about the Decision Metrics survey showing that 15.5% of customers will switch to streaming-only compaired to 43.1% switching to DVD only?

By the way, in reality they want people who really don't use it to drop streaming. They have to pay for each potential viewer when cutting these license deals, meaning they have to pay for each person who has it whether that customer uses it or not.

This question's primarily for Wombat, since you haven't had a chance to shine in the movie field for awhile. I recently saw a trailer for the Fright Night remake that looks like Disturbia 2 and I almost vomited. What movie if any would you guys actually like to see remade? Is there one the current Hollywood could actually do a good job on?

with modern warfare 3 looming around the corner, do you guys think that activision made a bad move by firing Vince zampella and Jason west, and as a result it will hurt modern warfare 3 sales numbers?

This isn't really a question but whatever
I'm leaving for Army training in 19 days, so August 15th and wanted to say thank you. I've listened to almost every single show since halfway through my freshman year of high school. That was 5 years ago
But now I'm going to have to stop listening for at least 3 1/2 months.

I know I've shit on all three of you before but ha ha i feel like i know you guys too well for people I've never even met.

Thank you again for the shows and I'll be able to listen to one or two more shows but after that its sayonara till late 2011/early 2012. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheapy and Wombat: what games have you enjoyed playing with your kids? I know Tai often watches Cheapy play, but what 2-player games have you actually played with him, where he also has a controller? Can Tai play Cars 2, or is it too hard? (My older son turned 4 a couple of months ago.)

Example: Wombat's recommendation of Toy Story 3 was great, especially the sandbox/town area, where you can mess around and have fun and can't die (or even get hurt, really).

Now that Wal-Mart will start sharing sales data again, how do you think this new info will affect sales charts? Will we see a dramatic shift in the types of games in the top 10, with Just Dance, Just Dance 2 and Cabela's hunting titles ruling the top 3-5 spots?

On the "capcom milks franchises" subject-

None of the guys on the CAGcast are anything beyond the most casual of fighting game fans.

The people who play these games daily and may in fact only play these types of games get lots of value out of both the original and re-release versions, playing them hundreds of hours per year.

There's nothing wrong with Cheapy/Wombat/Shipwreck being casual fighting game fans - nothing wrong with that at all. But realize that Capcom is smart for giving a small but enthusiastic fanbase what they want while maximizing their profits. It's just not for you guys and that's okay. Shouldn't capcom be able to cater to a niche audience who sticks with these games?

Besides, going to the arcade and playing the games before buying the home releases back in the day probably cost more than any of the stuff capcom does these days..

And on the "Resident Evil Mercenaries Unable to Delete Save" Topic-

Pac-Man/Galaga Dimensions also does not allow you to clear your data - Do you think this is actually a limitation of the 3DS cartridge format or is Namco also trying to limit used game sales?

Apparently Nintendo just announced that the 3DS is getting a price cut everywhere. Does $170 change anybody's plans as to if/when to get it? Cheapy, would you have been less disappointed with the thing at that price?

Do you guys honestly believe that iOS is really affecting dedicated handhelds that much?

Most people who have an iphone/pad and occasionally buy a $1 game for it never would have bought a GBA in its time, or a DS/PSP in their time.

So how exactly is iOS killing that market? PSP sales are still very high in japan, and the original DS continues to sell hundreds of thousands of units every month.

June 2011 - DS - 386,000

This is a dying platform? almost 8 years after release, in June, with zero software of note released - almost 400k sales?

I think cheapy and many other in the gaming media need to temper their hyperbole and personal feelings/preferences towards this matter and actually pay attention to what's happening in the market.

That said $40 for portable software is a real problem and Nintendo needs to look into reducing its licensing fees to get software within $20-$30 ranges and expand its efforts with the eShop to make more affordable download software. At least with eShop you can watch trailers and video of the titles. The App store doesn't offer that.

I'd like to see shipwreck explore the DSi Ware offerings and find some of the best stuff for the platform. I've found some really fun platforming games like Mighty Flip Champs, Pro Jumper!, and Antipole on there but those games just don't see much attention from the media - while iOS games are fawned over and talked about everywhere. Not to mention that these types of games are unplayably bad on ios with virtual buttons.

I've noticed lately that games have been getting the "Partial Nudity" content slapped on them if they have so much as a woman in a bikini, yet when I was suffering through Call of Juarez: The Cartel I was surprised to see (badly rendered) bare breasts in the strip club stage, and again in a cut scene that started out pretty much focused on a woman's bare chest. My surprise didn't come from seeing digital boobies, but from the fact that CoJ:TC's ESRB content only lists "Partial Nudity" instead of the usual "Nudity" that would normally be associated with this. Do you think this is a sign that the ESRB is becoming a little more relaxed with their rating system with the influx of mature content in games or this just more of a feeling of "fuck it.. nobody is going to play the game anyway.. who cares what the box says?"

Ive been listening to the CAGcast a while and remember that Cheapy would always talk about how he wished he never had to change discs in his xbox. so why was there so much hate on the PSPGO for not having hardware discs to insert? HUH

My impression has always been that his full time job is pooping, and he manages CAG on the side. "Poop for show, CAG for dough!" or something

Edit: So maybe you can be the hanger man for him. And supply the smelling salts as needed.

[quote name='Spartan V07']Do you guys think Microsoft will stay with the name XBOX for their next console?[/QUOTE]

This was exactly what I was going to ask. It seems to me that the next "Xbox" is going to be something of an Xbox / ( AppleTV / Roku / Boxee ) hybrid. My predictions include the dropping of the requirement for Xbox gold for Netflix, a new more consumer-friendly name, and keeping around a very cheap version of the console in order to get as close as possible to the $100 price point. They may even have a non-high-end version of the next "Xbox" that only does the multimedia features and basic gaming only.

I'm sure they'll keep around versions for the gamer audience, but this seems like the obvious entryway onto the TV for Microsoft. However, I doubt the Xbox name is a good one to market to the general audience, and I think it's going to be absolutely necessary to have something at the ~$100 price point to stay competitive.

If the cheap version is $100, then its easier to market higher-end models since once people are considering the device in the first place, they don't mind paying premiums for what is seen as additional value.

They might be able to push near $200 if it came with a Kinect and had Skype capabilities.

Just bullshiting, but what do you all think?

EDIT : Also, they are no longer in a market where they can hold back features like IE just because it might cannibalize PC sales.

Just a quick question when is the show scheduled to restart? I might have missed a mention on the last show about taking a break.. As long as your not doing a joystiq on us.

For Cheapy:

I was listening to an old CAGcast where you were asked a question that revealed your dislike of other sites cutting and pasting deals from your site to theirs or having their own "Deal of the Day" articles. Now that you're a little older and a lot wiser, does this sort of thing still bother you or is it still something you don't even think about?

What do you guys think of the Gamenauts vs Vlambeer controversy? Was what Gamenauts did unethical or just business as usual for the game industry? Should there be greater protections on game mechanics, or legal repercussions for blatant game cloning, especially when indie devs with already limited resources are involved?

(Background info: Vlambeer made a free browser game called Radical Fishing where you drop a fishing line as far as you can and then reel it up catching as many fish as possible, flinging them up into the air so you can shoot them. Vlambeer began working on their iOS version, called Ridiculous Fishing, as soon as they could but had to come out and announce as much ahead of schedule because Gamenauts had quickly made a clone called Ninja Fishing and beat them to the app store, where they appear to be enjoying good sales numbers & reviews. Ninja Fishing, aside from the art style, is apparently a near complete rip off of Radical Fishing except for using Fruit Ninja like swipes of the fish instead of shooting them.)

Considering the recent PS3 price drop, do you guys think the 360 will drop as well? Also, any idea when the "Black Friday" retailer bundles will be revealed? I am looking to replace my sickly red ringed one. Thanks!

I cleaned out my closet today and I have video boxes and the manuals with them, that are in excellent condition. I wanted to donate them to my local gamestop. I feel it's a better purchase experience, for someone to get a box then a shitty envelope sans the manual. I had called my local gamestop and they immediately shot me down by saying "No, we don't do that", and hung up. Called the corporate office directly not the toll free number, Their response is "It's up to the stores themselves".

Is there a recycling program for Gamers to disgard their video game boxes and instruction manuals?

[quote name='The Mike']I cleaned out my closet today and I have video boxes and the manuals with them, that are in excellent condition. I wanted to donate them to my local gamestop. I feel it's a better purchase experience, for someone to get a box then a shitty envelope sans the manual. I had called my local gamestop and they immediately shot me down by saying "No, we don't do that", and hung up. Called the corporate office directly not the toll free number, Their response is "It's up to the stores themselves".

Is there a recycling program for Gamers to disgard their video game boxes and instruction manuals?[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you could put them up on the trading forum and people would paypal you the shipping for them. CAGs are always looking for replacement cases/art.

Was just listening to Cagcast #249 and if you visit the Air Force Museum in Dayton Ohio you can take a special tour that takes you to a hanger located on the base (Wright Patt). Long story short in this hangar are all the old Air Force Ones that you can walk on/thru the most recent being the one that Clinton flew on.

They also have a ton of projects by Nasa and the Air Force that never really took off that you can look at and read about. It's definitely worth the tour!

Wombat

Do you guys think that the Jostiq Show finally figured out what it wants to be? I enjoyed the episode regarding music in video games and figured you would be the one to appreciate it. The first few were painful to listen to.

Hey guys,

What do you think of the chaos that has been caused by the firesale of the HP touchpads? the "slick deals" effect has caused pretty much every retailer selling the pads online to crash and burn. Several retailers including HP have had a massive issue with inventory control. The thread on CAG is growing to epic proportions. By the way, Wombat and Shipwreck did you manage to get one?

Thanks again for doing a great podcast!

Hey guys,

I was wondering if video-game based novels affect the way you play certain games? For example, I've read the first two Mass Effect books, and started playing Mass Effect 2 for the first time. I find myself thinking about events in the literature before I make in-game decisions. This allowed me to become more immersed with the gameplay and I find myself enjoy it even more. What do you think?

Thoughts about Steve Jobs resigning? Thoughts about Gamestop removing the OnLive vouchers from new PC copies of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, only to get caught caught and then decide to stop selling the PC version altogether once no one bought their bullshit PR excuse?

Cheapy, as a lover of car games have you ever tried a steering wheel and if you have, did you feel it added to the gameplay?

Also who decides on the opening and finishing podcast music and is it open for a debate amongst you all.

Good show btw :)

For Wombat, regarding the hurricane, what is the situation in your area? I hope you and your family are safe and sound, and hopefully your house too.

I am proud to announce that I, phantomroy08, have completed the act of listening to all of the cagcasts from 123 (the farthest back the i-phone site goes to) to 250-which is a grand total of 127 cagcasts and about 190 hours of podcasts if you do the math. I did this from the end of June until August 29th. I really enjoy the cagcast as shown by my ability to make it through. From the bad company 1 discussion to the live shows to the mass effect asskissing, to the alan wake disscussion to cheapy and wombats fail of a diet to aquiring boat crash as amember of the cast I thouroughly enjoyed every episode. I was recommended to this by wikigameguides' two chimps on a davenport podcast. But a few questions linger on. Where is the 200th anneversary special episode with a compilation of the funniest quotes? Why the hell did Cheapy move to japan? How do you run a show where the hosts are all in different parts of the world? After my accomplishment I think I've earned a shout out! Thanks.

[quote name='phantomroy08']I am proud to announce that I, phantomroy08, have completed the act of listening to all of the cagcasts from 123 (the farthest back the i-phone site goes to) to 250-which is a grand total of 127 cagcasts and about 190 hours of podcasts if you do the math. I did this from the end of June until August 29th. I really enjoy the cagcast as shown by my ability to make it through. From the bad company 1 discussion to the live shows to the mass effect asskissing, to the alan wake disscussion to cheapy and wombats fail of a diet to aquiring boat crash as amember of the cast I thouroughly enjoyed every episode. I was recommended to this by wikigameguides' two chimps on a davenport podcast. But a few questions linger on. Where is the 200th anneversary special episode with a compilation of the funniest quotes? Why the hell did Cheapy move to japan? How do you run a show where the hosts are all in different parts of the world? After my accomplishment I think I've earned a shout out! Thanks.[/QUOTE]
I'm not aiming to sound like a pretentious douche, but it's hardly an accomplishment xD I've been listening since around the 70ish mark, being a fan of the CAGCast isn't much to brag about, you're just a fan.

bread's done
Back