CAGbag: Get your questions answered on CAGcast

Hello, and I really enjoy the show. As a father of a two and four year old, I really love the parenting stories.

I seem to be in the minority as a netflix apologist, but I think your commentary on it was totally off. We have streaming and delivery, and use both. I had read interviews with Reed Hastings, well before the change, where he worried about the survival of the company as delivering disks in the mail becomes obsolete. I hate to have to get dvd's delivered, when I know that my xbox can magically put it on the screen in HD without any hassle. I think that in 10 years quickster won't be a viable business model, and netflix will be the remaining company. Selling quickster may happen, but I think Netflix will continue going strong.

Hey, Cheapy and his Ass Gamer-friends! I'm a long-time listener, second or third time CAGbag question-asker.
I'd love to get your thoughts and opinions on CD-key buying sites like http://cdkeysdiscount.com/, http://cdkeys.com.au/, and http://www.onlinekeystore.com/. Looks like they buy bulk copies of games in other regions where the dollar (whatever currency they're buying with) is valued higher, then sell those keys elsewhere. These sites only sell PC/Steam game keys, of course. Seems slightly shady to me and looks like something publishers might get wise to in the future, but what are your thoughts?
There's a pretty long thread on it on NeoGAF here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=437356

Love the show! I wish Wombat was my uncle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read the news from Washington Post that Steve Jobs has passed away. Mostly a question for Cheapy as he is the Apple fanboy, but thoughts on his impact and influence on the technology of today.

Can an arcade racing fan have fun with Forza 4? I played the demo last week and found it to be incredibly dull.

Hey Wombat, Cheapy, and Shipwreck. I just found this list about the upcoming changes that DICE is making to the Battlefield 3 experience with all the data they've collected from the Beta. It would be great to hear some of your thoughts, or at least just inform the casual listener because many of them are probably playing the beta, wondering if the real game will be any better. Thanx!
http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/battlefield_bad_company/archive/2011/10/06/246-dfj-246-dfj.aspx##

How do you guys feel about the Jack-in-the-Box promo where if you buy a large drink, you might win a DLC code for a weapon skin for Gears of War 3? I've been giving mine away to CAGs if I win them. I have no use for them because I have no intentions on buying that game any time soon.

Also, is there even Jack-in-the-Box in the East Coast/Ohio/Japan?

Cheapy, Send Wombat & Ship some links to watch Top Gear, sounds really funny for the UK listeners when you hear someone say they have no idea who Jeremy Clarkson is...an on that bomb shell

Hey Ship, I remember hearing you talk about the free onlive console you got at PAX & talking about un boxing it & hooking it up but I don't think that you have said anything else about it.I was wondering if you have used it yet & how it was?Who would you recommend this to.I saw that they have Batman AC for 49.99 10 bucks cheaper than consoles.

What do you guys think of the PSV game pricing and also the DLC versions of games being slightly cheaper than retail copies? I have always wanted to buy full DLC games but when they are the same price as a retail game I would rather have a physical copy of the game.

Shipwreck has been a great addition to the CAGcast-- by this point I tend to forget that he wasn't an original host of the show.

I'd be interested to hear you guys weave a tale about how Shipwreck came to be a regular host of the CAGcast.

You mentioned that Cheapy has created three songs, but I only know of two (Ass and Tetris and Take a Lick of Megaman), which I have. What's the 3rd one and can you link to it from the show notes for the next CAGcast? Thanks!

Re: The discussion last week about the summer camps Cheapy and Wombat attended. There is usually a poor camp across the lake from a rich camp. So which of you went to the poor camp and vice-versa?

Also, I was wondering what you all think about today's iOS 5 release, particularly—Apple adding support for cloud saves and gamer profiles, do you think Sony will try and offer an equivalent service for the Vita?

suggested question for next weeks show: im patiently waiting for Skyrim to come out so i can start raising hell and killing dragons. what is one thing each of you are excited for when it releases? also which system will you pick it up for PS3 or Xbox 360?

[quote name='Karnivor']suggested question for next weeks show: im patiently waiting for Skyrim to come out so i can start raising hell and killing dragons. what is one thing each of you are excited for when it releases? also which system will you pick it up for PS3 or Xbox 360?[/QUOTE]

It seems pretty clear that it's Skyrim (and Batman AC in a distant second) for Wombat and Forza for Cheapy. Shipwreck is an enigma, as always.

Thinking of some under the radar games for Christmas that I can surprise my brother and sister with. My current list to choose from is Driver SF, Shadows of the Damned, Alice Madness Returns. Any others that you guys suggest that have or you will predict get lost in the shuffle of big releases this year?

On last week’s CAG cast someone asked about Onlive, and Shipwreck stated he did not know who Onlive was for. Oh, and Wombat said some crazy stuff about the games being old Xbox games (all the games are PC games).

Well I have an Onlive, Xbox 360, PS3, (gave my Wii away), and a PC. If a game is available for each, I always buy the Onlive version. The reason is if you subscribe to the playpack (like Netflix streaming for game) you get 35% off the price of new games. I preordered Batman: Arkham City for $35, and got a code for any other game for free which I used to get Deus Ex: Human Revolution. So I paid $17.50 for games that most people paid $60 for. Oh they had Batman: Arkham Asylum on sale for a buck. A BUCK! I know it is few years old, but BAA for the price of an Iphone game.

Other reasons I love Onlive:
The best community features including: Cross game voice chat, you can have more than 100 friends, you can record and watch brag clips, and watch your friends play games live.
I can play my games on the computer while my wife is using the TV, and with my friend at his house (just did this a few weeks ago).
Nothing installed on my computer taking up space, and causing problems.
I can play games on my 5 year old computer that could not handle them.
Play games on a Mac that do not support the Mac.
All saves stored on the cloud (not sure why Shipwreck does not like this) so I can access them anywhere.
You can use a wireless or USB mouse and keyboard with the micro console, so you can play games that would not work with a gamepad.
You can play PC games not available on any other console on your TV like the Witcher.
You never need to buy an expensive computer or another console.
No downloading game patches.
No disk swapping.
No pirating. I know some people look at this as a negative but it hurts the industry I love, and it pushing the game industry toward the crappy “Freemium” game model.
Soon you will be able to use your tablet as a monitor to play games with a wireless controller.
Onlive is putting out a web browser so you will be able to access all the flash content on devices that do not support flash.

I know that Onlive is not yet perfect. The game library is getting better and better but still need more EA and Activision games. You need a good internet connection (I am lucky with a 20 meg Comcast connection). You don’t get the disk (which I could care less about).

I don’t get the whole “you can’t play your games offline” complaint. That is like complaining I can’t watch my Netflix streaming if my internet goes down, or I can’t play COD multiplayer, or I can’t watch TV if my power goes out. I can count on one hand (maybe on two fingers) the number of times my internet went down last year. I live in the flipping woods in a rural area and I have a good internet connection.

Hay, again I LOVE Onlive, but some people like paying 2 to 3 times as much for the same game.

What are you guy's deepest darkest phobias? Is is Spiders for Cheapy? Getting hit by a subway train for Wombat? Is it blood for Mr. Hector X. Delgado?

Me, I get paralized with fear with heights. If I fly, I can't sit next to a window.

Also, Wombat and Cheapy. Have any of your kids gotten so ill that you had to take them to the ER? My 14 month old is running a fever 104, and its one of the most stressful things in my life...

In light of Square Enix charging $15 for the upcoming DLC for Deus Ex, what is the correct price for expansions to RPG's? I feel the $7-$10 route Bioware has done for around 5 hours of play is fine. I think SE is wayyyy overcharging for the Deus Ex DLC and I won't buy it until it goes on sale. Thoughts of the panel?

CheapyD, what are your thoughts on Adam Fenix of GOW3 closely resembling Walter White of Breaking Bad? The face, beard, hair, are quite the resemblance, but I feel that Adam Fenix being a gifted scientist with a terminal disease implicates the 2nd coming of Walter White.

Shipwreck, as one of the 3 red headed sons of Cincinnati, how do you and Andy feel about losing brother Carson to the west coast?

Wombat. . . because of you I bought Deus Ex. . . and now i am suffering for it. Damn i hate this game.

Little Ammo + Stealth = A game that's not for me. I'll stick to shooty-shooty titles like Bulletstorm from now on. Lesson Learned.

Do you guys find it kind of funny that used games purchased from Gamefly include the incentives that publishers put in the packaging to influence people to buy the game new?

Cheapy,

I few years back Nelson Rodriguez (Minor Nelson) said that you were a millionaire. You said this was completely false but hoped one day this would come true. So, now years have passed and you seem to be so casual financially it had me wondering.. Ok, I understand it's in bad taste to say how much money you have, so my proper question will be is CAG worth over 1 million as a business?

Hey guys,
about Nintendo.

I really feel like you don't understand why people like Nintendo. These gamers aren't like you and me, just because they don't buy game after game doesn't mean they are unhappy with their purchase.

Some numbers.
Mario Kart Wii (28.23 million).
Gran Turismo 5, PS3's top selling game (6.37 million).
Call of Duty: Black Ops, 360's top selling game (12 million).

These people were happy enough with Wii Sports to buy Mario Kart Wii,
and they also bought Wii Sports Resort (27.68 million)
Wii Fit (22.61 million)
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (21.94 million)

and so on.

If the Wii U looks like fun, these people will buy it. Nintendo is not going after gamers like you. You judge them on graphics and online capability. Halo 3 sold 8 million while Wii Fit Plus sold 18 million.

Nintendo knows how to sell games, they know how to sell consoles. They are more brave, more creative, they are better at making games that more people want to play, they are better at making money.

You're Wii may be full of dust. But your 360 is in the landfill because it doesn't work anymore.

I'm not saying that the Wii U will automatically be a success, I'm just saying don't count it out for the wrong reasons. Nintendo is a different beast.

New Super Mario Bros. (26.88 million)
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (3.8 million)

buttle

To argue with buttle.
The Wii U doesn't have "gimmick" the Wii did its not going to sell as well.

Now onto the questions: Do you think Nintendo will ever take risks with their franchises? Im not talking about Phillips CD-i risks, I was thinking Mario/Link/Kirby is a game with a dark mature theme. Mario with a shotgun?

Wombat, a comic question, it I wanted to start reading Batman again what writers/time period should I avoid, such as the early 80s, mid-90s, etc?

Veronica Belmont, of the infamous Double Dragons CAGcast, was let go as host of PS3's Qore. How would you rate her run - a great cute host that you'll miss or "Veronica Who?"

cheapy, i would like to know what games u are looking foward to playing the most this year and i would like to know your thoughts on the whole battlefield 1943 controversy on the ps3. thanks!!!

Given the oft rumors of the next gen consoles, mainly the next xbox, what are your hopes or expectations for the next wave of console gaming?

Cheapy, I'd like to mention Garnett's comments on Forza 4 and add my own.

His review appears to be written early-on. He says the tuning becomes more important as the game goes on. But since every car you win is modded to the top of its class, modding really doesn't become important at all. I finished the League of Legends (level 12) two days ago and modding never really came into play at all.

Forza 4 is the best console sim game yet, but honestly I feel like they've stepped backward a bit in an effort to simplify it for PGR fans. Bringing in the barrel races was fine and the bowling pins are awful, but putting every awarded car at the top of its class means money means very little and modding isn't important at all.

Turn 10 keeps stepping backward (slowly) on the actual racing and is concentrating too much on the painting, auction house and now petting the shiny cars with Kinect.

Is the big search bar on the top of the page broken or what? When I use it to search the forums, nothing ever comes up. I'm stuck using the "Advanced Search" if I wanna get anywhere.

Hey Gents,

Is there really any reason to pre-order a game these days?

How many times have we seen Amazon drop a game to $40 like 2 weeks after release, and most DLC pre-order bonuses seem to end up on sale for those that didn't pre-order.

Maybe I'm missing something but seems like pre-ordering is for suckers, just sayin !

Question for Shipwreck..

I know that you are an engineer, and I'm guessing you had to go through an excruciating amount of schooling.

I'm pre-med and have started taking courses that are, well, not easy. Calculus-based physics and organic chemistry are major time consumers.

Since Wombat answered the question of how you balance your gaming and your married/social life today, I'm asking about how you balanced it back in the day, especially during your schooling years. Or did you just completely eliminate gaming from your daily routine? I find myself unable to do that..

Hey guys, I just wanted to say that I am loving Audible. I used to be a big reader, but with work and school, I just don't have time anymore. When I heard you guys mention it, I thought why not, ill throw a couple bucks your way and cancel after 14 days but I ended up falling in love with it. I commute about 45 minutes a day, not too much but each book is roughly 7 hours. It would take me about 10 days to finish one book. Then I noticed that the reader was reading very slowly and taking long pauses. I was getting very irritated, until I learned something really cool. I use an android phone, I don't know about the iPhone version, but if you press menu you can chang the reading speed. I set mine to 1.5, and it knocked a couple hours of the time off. I just thought this might be a good selling point for you. I.m on my second book now.

Hey Cheapy, Wombat, and Ship

Really enjoyed the most recent show (#259) and have been enjoying all the episode for years now. Amazing, I know.

The discussion about games journalism was one of the best you've had in a long time. The discussion you had certainly highlights the complexity of the issue.

I certainly follow game reviews but know these yahoos are only review part of the game. I'm talking specifically about online. Reviewers typically know the online features, but really can't give an honest opinion about online functionality because they aren't playing the game like we, real gamers, are.

Two quick cases in point; You guys already talked about Battlefield 3 and its borked online. This is a game scoring in the mid-80s to low 90s.

Another example, the NBA 2k series. Among the top, or the top, sports game for at least three years running . . . and three years of absolutely f-ed online play at launch. They even write articles on Kotaku about how f-ed up it is.

How can all these games with top scores pull that off when such a significant part of the experience is broken? I'm not talking 50s, 0r 60, or 70s. But 80s and 90s. F-ing unbelievable.

Lazy journalism at its height.

Agree?

Hello every one at the Cagcast

ive only been listing for a couple of weeks know beause my friends over at WikiGameGuides suggested me to listin to you so i did so ill get to my question know With Minecraft comming out on the consle do you see it being a full retail game that will sold in the shop or will it be sold in the marketplace as an arcade game or indie game?

Plus with the xbox dashboard comming out soon and not every one having kinect do you think it would be a good idea that people could pick which dashboard that they could use on there xbox 360 ? ( also when is it ment to be comming out?)

Sorry about my bad spelling im from italy :)

bread's done
Back