CAGcast #116: Blown Off

[quote name='Wombat']Apology Accepted, 100%!!! I am glad to hear that it was just a misunderstanding and let us all put this behind us. iFanboy is really great show and a great website as I have mentioned on the CAGcast many times. That being said, Hellblazer as a comic does nothing for me, and there is a never reason why JSA shouldn't be pick of the week every week it comes out. Now for those who havn't yet go listen to iFanboy and check out their site www.ifanboy.com, the pull system rocks![/quote]

Very cool man. Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt.

But Hellblazer is awesome, and therefore, it's back on! I will hate you until my dying day.

But then, I like JSA a lot, so I'm conflicted...

Alright, you're OK with me for now...:D

[quote name='PooPooRocket']"Okay, I'm going to stand over here now."

That's not being "socially awkward". That sounds more like you feeling like you're above your fans, and would rather not interact them. Sorry, your explanation doesn't really cut it.[/quote]

Wombat and I are OK with it, so as long as he's cool, my explanation will have to do. I will say that I'm not above anyone. My show is pretty much about being a fan.

It's very possible I said something like "I've got to go over here now," because I think I was waiting to do an interview, or prepping for it. In my distracted haze, I can see how it would come off like Wombat said, but that wasn't what I intended, but I already apologized for any misunderstanding, and the only guy who was actually there has accepted it.

Ask any of the listeners and viewers who've met us at a con, or at one of the events or parties we've had if we're putting on airs. We're not. We're just dudes on the internet talking about stuff we love. The people in the community are the same. No one's above anything.

And if you want a lesson in being humble, try chasing Geoff Johns around for 3 days hoping for 3 minutes to get him to stand there and do a quick interview. Oh, I know my place. And it is low.

[quote name='Mindzeye82']I must give the "investigative journalism in the field of video game pricing" award to wombat yet again. Wombat, you consistently ask the hard questions about the pricing of games that no one else has the balls to put forth!

In all the interviews you have done, including those at ComicCon, you ask the developers/marketing people about why they choose to make seemingly substandard games full retail price. These questions are refreshing and new compared to the bullshit interviews we see at other sites - I don't give a flying fuck if your game has 40 person multiplayer, I want to know why it costs more than 40$?!

You are the hardest working man in the game industry, keep up the excellent work.

Great podcast as always.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Even if most developers dodge the question it still needs to be asked.

[quote name='JAFlanagan']Very cool man. Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt.

But Hellblazer is awesome, and therefore, it's back on! I will hate you until my dying day.

But then, I like JSA a lot, so I'm conflicted...

Alright, you're OK with me for now...:D

Wombat and I are OK with it, so as long as he's cool, my explanation will have to do. I will say that I'm not above anyone. My show is pretty much about being a fan.

It's very possible I said something like "I've got to go over here now," because I think I was waiting to do an interview, or prepping for it. In my distracted haze, I can see how it would come off like Wombat said, but that wasn't what I intended, but I already apologized for any misunderstanding, and the only guy who was actually there has accepted it.

Ask any of the listeners and viewers who've met us at a con, or at one of the events or parties we've had if we're putting on airs. We're not. We're just dudes on the internet talking about stuff we love. The people in the community are the same. No one's above anything.

And if you want a lesson in being humble, try chasing Geoff Johns around for 3 days hoping for 3 minutes to get him to stand there and do a quick interview. Oh, I know my place. And it is low.[/QUOTE]

Dale Eaglesham on the other hand, I spoke to him for 20 minutes about Citizen Steel, it was the best 20 minutes of my life.

Josh, hey, it's cool that you explained yourself cuz it clarified everything. a real asshole would simply ignore the entire situation or make fun of it. you did a good thing by posting here.

btw, i don't think the CAGs should hate Josh for that misunderstanding. his explanation makes sense cuz if you watch their video podcasts, they do a lot and have done some terrific interviews with some comic creators like Darwyn Cooke. if Wombat has no problem with him, then i don't think we should either. ;)

[quote name='Wombat']Dale Eaglesham on the other hand, I spoke to him for 20 minutes about Citizen Steel, it was the best 20 minutes of my life.[/quote]

We tried really hard to get him for an interview, but he was mobbed the whole time, and it didn't happen. He was really nice, but wary of the camera, which is not entirely unwise.

Our friend Pol stalked him like a jealous girlfriend to try to get a commission from him, and was number 6 on a list of 5. He was going to get Starman with the bottom of the mask pulled up, which is awesome.

We did get Johns, and Ron talked to him about JSA, so that'll be on the bigass NYCC show that comes out this Saturday.

[quote name='JAFlanagan']We tried really hard to get him for an interview, but he was mobbed the whole time, and it didn't happen. He was really nice, but wary of the camera, which is not entirely unwise.

Our friend Pol stalked him like a jealous girlfriend to try to get a commission from him, and was number 6 on a list of 5. He was going to get Starman with the bottom of the mask pulled up, which is awesome.

We did get Johns, and Ron talked to him about JSA, so that'll be on the bigass NYCC show that comes out this Saturday.[/quote]

Not to make this an entire iFanboy discussion, but can you guys extend your Saturday shows to about an hour? it's around 24 minutes so far and that feels pretty short considering it comes out once a week. the daily Mini shows should be around 5 minutes. 3 minutes is too short... :bomb:

[quote name='JAFlanagan']We tried really hard to get him for an interview, but he was mobbed the whole time, and it didn't happen. He was really nice, but wary of the camera, which is not entirely unwise.

We did get Johns, and Ron talked to him about JSA, so that'll be on the bigass NYCC show that comes out this Saturday.[/QUOTE]

Can't wait

[quote name='LiK']Not to make this an entire iFanboy discussion, but can you guys extend your Saturday shows to about an hour? it's around 24 minutes so far and that feels pretty short considering it comes out once a week. the daily Mini shows should be around 5 minutes. 3 minutes is too short... :bomb:[/quote]

Always leave them wanting more...

Honestly, there's not enough time in the day to do that. For every 20 minutes of show, that's hours of editing, scanning, rendering and uploading. So we're at a level where we're comfortable we can keep up, keep the shows to a high enough standard. I'm glad you want more, but at this point, we're giving all we have with 7 shows a week.

That being said, this week's show will be around an hour, and I need to get back to finishing it.

[quote name='JAFlanagan']Always leave them wanting more...

Honestly, there's not enough time in the day to do that. For every 20 minutes of show, that's hours of editing, scanning, rendering and uploading, so we're at a level where we're comfortable we can keep up.

That being said, this week's show will be around an hour, and I need to get back to finishing it.[/quote]

ah ok, i guess i can live with that.

[quote name='Mindzeye82'] I must give the "investigative journalism in the field of video game pricing" award to wombat yet again. Wombat, you consistently ask the hard questions about the pricing of games that no one else has the balls to put forth! [/QUOTE]

Seconded!

Right now Dingleberry's getting a love tug while posting to this topic. Sad to hear his beard got axed.

I agree with Wombat. Wii Fit just doesn't interest me. It might have a pretty solid sell through rate, but it wouldn't hold my interest. I need games, not vague tilting experiences.

[quote name='Wombat']Dale Eaglesham on the other hand, I spoke to him for 20 minutes about Citizen Steel, it was the best 20 minutes of my life.[/quote]

and the best 2 minutes belong to Mrs. Wonbot. so you 2 f@gs kissed and made up, how sweet. now get back to pumping out a show for thurs.

[quote name='ScottG13']I agree with Wombat. Wii Fit just doesn't interest me. It might have a pretty solid sell through rate, but it wouldn't hold my interest. I need games, not vague tilting experiences.[/quote]

They aren't marketing it to the hardcore gamer anyway.

[quote name='rogueweapon']and the best 2 minutes belong to Mrs. Wonbot. so you 2 f@gs kissed and made up, how sweet. now get back to pumping out a show for thurs.[/QUOTE]

true and done

[quote name='Wombat']true and done[/quote]

actually, i'm gonna wait for you to talk about it on the Live show tomorrow, haha

Another great CAGCast, but unfortunately I will be missing out on the CAG Bag this Thursday as it'll be 1am Friday my time (sometime around that) and i'll be asleep because I have school the next day. Just a request, hopefully it can be done, could we get this live show recorded and put up for download? I remember Cheapy saying something about this before but mentioning having it recorded and just not put on the RSS feed. Please could you have this done for your international listeners, I am looking forward to listening to another live show as I liked the past ones :).

Yet another great show. I was in a couple of the Warhawk games last friday and I agree with Wombat about WH's online experience. I have tried really hard to get into and I just can't. I barely have the controls down and it always seems like pure chaos. Of course the number of people with headsets is a contributing factor. Now ifanboy is really off my list( it sort of was before just because I've never really heard of it), that's ok one day they will beg Wombat to be on their show. Wombat will go into some snarky quip ending in the word "sucka"

[quote name='outlawmoogle']They aren't marketing it to the hardcore gamer anyway.[/quote]

They're not, but we're sure as heck covering it like its for the hardcore. You trip over a Wii Fit news story every time you check the RSS feed at Kotaku or Joystiq.

[quote name='ScottG13']They're not, but we're sure as heck covering it like its for the hardcore. You trip over a Wii Fit news story every time you check the RSS feed at Kotaku or Joystiq.[/quote]

I dunno', I don't see that many. There are always still more for a GTA or an MGS.

There's plenty of room in the game industry, mate. It's not like resources are being diverted from the 'hardcore' games. The more external revenue added to games, the better off the industry is and the more budget there is overall for GTAs and MGSses.

No worries.

the mass media is all over WiiFit. it was shown on the Today show and Oprah. it's gonna be huge with the masses.

On the review scores:

If, for instance, you goto 10, don't make the average 5.

Say your scale goes to 5, make the average 2. Why? Because that way scores 2-5 indicate how good a game is, and score 1 is a bad game. When met with "Its a good game", many people will ask "How good is it?". However, when met with "its a bad game", noone replies "Oh, how bad is it? House Party 2 bad?". Don't spend point on the scale to designate how bad a game: If it's bad, it's bad -- we don't care how bad 'cause we ain't buying it anyway.

That sucks that you were brushed off like that Wombat, I talked with them outside on the last day around lunch while they were just sitting outside,
2430854205_45abe4b939.jpg

They seemed pretty nice and I talked to them about podcasting also and asked how they got started and such and what i should do as a beginning podcaster. I didn't get brushed off, but I also didn't stay around too long, but i did get an audio interview with Connor the day before.

If we're going to be suggesting new comic podcasts to listen/watch I would suggest Pulp Secret's The Stack They're a hilarious podcast (all 3 guys do improv and sketch at the P.I.T.) and do a live show called The Comic Book Club where they also have had special guests like MC Chris, Dan Slott, Bendis, etc at The PIT, they even did a couple of mini-shows at Comic-Con including one with Scott Adsit from 30 Rock.
2430823691_785452bd28.jpg

They were nice guys and I talked with Pete (the one with the beard) for a while about my photography project where I was photographing people in costume recreating scenes in history. For example:
2433529422_879acfa331.jpg

He was very encouraging and got most of the referances, and we talked about awesome stuff we saw on the floor.

BTW: Jonathan Coulton and Paul & Storm were awesome, and you should be ashamed you missed it for passover Wombat, I totally skipped my family seder and it was worth it!
2431648128_3bf3bf1df4.jpg

Wow, that teaches me to actually READ the pages before posting, I'm glad the relationship has been fixed though, i was feeling really weird and conflicted, but you should also still try watching Pulp Secret's The Stack they actually did have the guys from iFanboy on there live show as Josh can tell you.

Great show!
Wombat, since you're an honorary gay now (thanks to your FABULOUS job) you shoulda got gay hood with them bitches who dissed you like that.
IF that ever happens again, here is what you do.

Pucker your lips, snap your finger, throw your hand in the air and say "Daz right bitches, go on n walk away. Don't HATE, CONGRATULATE." then you spin and then YOU walk away.

Respect + 1000

[quote name='ScottG13']They're not, but we're sure as heck covering it like its for the hardcore. You trip over a Wii Fit news story every time you check the RSS feed at Kotaku or Joystiq.[/quote]

Because it's important news to the gaming industry. It's the first game on a major console in years (not counting Wii Sports) that is actually catching the attention of the non-gaming public. You can't just ignore the significance of Wii Fit.

[quote name='MikeydCT']people are having sex when the CAG cast is playing? wow[/quote]

yeah seriously! The one time I tried to listen to the CAGcast out loud with my girlfriend home she shouted from the other room "Oh My God! You're listening to people TALK about video games!?! YOU"RE SUCH A DORK!" If I tried to put it on during a sexual encounter I might wind up like John Wayne Bobbit.

Anyways good show guys. The speculation about the DLC for GTA sounds a little unrealistic. I could see maybe an extra island of some sort, but an entire city sounds a little too good to be true. Some Epilogue missions playing as a character working for Niko (presuming at the end of story mode he is the new kingpin of Liberty City) would be pretty cool I think.

Good show guys. My only complaint is that you said the Thursday Live show would be an extra thing, yet you guys cut the Cagbag out of this weeks normal show.

I work in the evenings, so I won't be able to listen to the Thursday night show (not clear whether you're actually recording it or not) so I for one would love if it actually stayed an extra, and didn't remove content from the normal show.

Just throwing that out there. I was a little disappointed at not getting a Cagbag this week.

Keep up the great work!

I wanted to posit an alternate theory in the BoomBlox pricing discussion, one that I realize may be construed as blasphemy by my fellow CAGs. It is this: I think, in a lot of ways, games are like wine. Studies have shown that the price of a bottle of wine is a significant factor in how favorably the drinker reacts to it. Psychologically, gamers -- and even some casual game shoppers -- assume that a full-price game is inherently higher in quality than a "budget" title. After all, you get what you pay for, right? Thus, all things being equal, if a consumer sees a $50 or $60 game sitting next to a $30 or $40 game, consciously or subconsciously, they're more likely to give the more expensive game the benefit of the doubt. Not everyone thinks like a CAG.

There are exceptions to this theory, like the oblivious parent who's just looking for the cheapest means to shut Junior up for a few hours. And of course there are mitigating factors, like whether there's a recognizable character on the cover. And don't get me wrong. There is a place for budget titles. Okami Wii is a good example, as are most other ports or re-releases. And pseudo-games like Endless Ocean also can benefit from a "try me" price. But I think quality full-fledged, original titles like BoomBlox and Zack & Wiki actually run the risk of hurting their own credibility by launching with a budget price.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']As far as I'm concerned I should have only had to show up halfway into the Passover get-together since I'm only 1/2 jewish and 1/2 japanese, Ninjew. Just in time for beef, 2 glasses of wine, and desert.

Also I googled ninjew a few years back and this is what came up
http://www.ninjewbook.com/
I have no idea wtf its about, but it looks funny as hell.[/quote]

I'm the product of a lapsed Catholic and a lapsed Jew, making me a lazy cashew.

Lotta guilt in my house growing up. Lotta guilt.

[quote name='thorbahn3']I can understand how CheapyD feels about Dingleberry's adventure. One time while playing Double Dragon with a fellow CAG, he was slient and acted awkard. Afterwards, he told me he was getting a BJ from his girlfriend while talking and playing with me.[/quote]

YOU SWORE YOU'D NEVER TELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And she was going to do you next.

[quote name='JAFlanagan']It's very possible I said something like "I've got to go over here now," because I think I was waiting to do an interview, or prepping for it. In my distracted haze, I can see how it would come off like Wombat said, but that wasn't what I intended, but I already apologized for any misunderstanding, and the only guy who was actually there has accepted it.[/quote]

Well, to be fair, this IS the same Wombat who said an Activision rep told him that Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 would be bumped to 2009 (later retracted), so accurate recollections of Comic Con conversations may not be his strong suit. ;)

Totally random non-gaming related comment. You should NEVER give a child aspirin. It can cause a fatal neurological condition called Reye's syndrome.

Otherwise, excellent show as usual.

[quote name='dopa345']Totally random non-gaming related comment. You should NEVER give a child aspirin. It can cause a fatal neurological condition called Reye's syndrome.

Otherwise, excellent show as usual.[/quote]

Huh. I always thought Reye's syndrome just tore up your tummy. Apparently it destroys your brain and liver. Who knew that the CAG forums were so educational? Funducational!

Am I the only person that has an issue with the CAGcast locking my Zune up? It happens about once every four or five episodes, delete and redownload does not seem to fix it. I can listen fine on my PC but if I attempt it on the Zune it just locks the entire thing up and requires a hard reboot.

The show is part of my week at work, so it sucks when I get there only to find out I can't listen.

[quote name='krinjchrist']Am I the only person that has an issue with the CAGcast locking my Zune up? It happens about once every four or five episodes, delete and redownload does not seem to fix it. I can listen fine on my PC but if I attempt it on the Zune it just locks the entire thing up and requires a hard reboot.

The show is part of my week at work, so it sucks when I get there only to find out I can't listen.[/QUOTE]

Actually, they mentioned it in the show. While Apple stuff just works, Microsoft's products don't.

I'm a big fan of random drops of Back to the Future quotes. Nice one Wombat: "You are my density, Lorraine!"

I thought it was pretty standup for josh to call in on the live cagbag to apologize. See Won-Bot you ARE an important internet celebrity!

[quote name='krinjchrist']Am I the only person that has an issue with the CAGcast locking my Zune up? It happens about once every four or five episodes, delete and redownload does not seem to fix it. I can listen fine on my PC but if I attempt it on the Zune it just locks the entire thing up and requires a hard reboot.

The show is part of my week at work, so it sucks when I get there only to find out I can't listen.[/quote]
nope, just check every single CAGcast forum EVER! Zunes just don't like the CAGcast for some reason. You guys should start a support group.

Here is some good videogame like music that you can use on the next CAGcast
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uZr3JWYdy8&feature=related[/MEDIA]

Nothing starts out a day worse than hitting play on your commute only to find out that yet again, bad encoding on the Cagcast causing the Zune to lock. I'd blame the zune, but I listen to 15 podcasts, and I've never had this issue with any others. 3 out of the last 6 CAGcasts have locked up the device.

Re: Motion Controls

I used to think you guys were too harsh on the use of motion controls in recent games. I enjoyed the thrill of guiding arrows into the necks of enemies in Heavenly Sword, and early Wii games had their charms. After listening to the latest CAGcast and Cheapy's problems with Lair I went to play some games, notably my new copy of Okami for the Wii. Wow, that was one frustrating experience--I couldn't get that damn wolf to use his special brush skills! I turned the game off and loaded up my copy of Okami for the PS2 that I had barely started when it came out. It turned out I had a saved file in the exact same part that was giving me trouble on the Wii, and I was able to pass it with ease with analog controls. That, and it looked better upscaled on my PS3!

All I have to say is Dingleberry is not the only one with that issue. I as well have busted out laughing hell even my gf has in the middle of having fun in the bed. No idea why we have the cagcast on, but it is very funny. So I am just with you on that.

How the fuck could anyone get anything going with their voices in the background?

And if you're really getting something going, where the fuck is your mind to be paying attention to what's going on in a podcast?

I can't understand that. Have to call bullshit simply for lacking comprehension on the matter.

bread's done
Back