CAGcast #119: Go Dick!

Re: Penny Arcade Adventures. Do you think the problem is that they labeled it episodic content? If they had said it was a $20 game that lasted 10-15 hours, most people would've said that's a fair price. The other episodes would've been sequels that came out amazingly fast. Is this any different then a lot of games that come out every year with little improvement. (We're looking at you EA.)

MyResistance.net has been around since last fall at least, I believe, and Insomniac is working on revamping it over the next few months. It's not like websites are now Sony's new smash idea for online communities that they're claiming are innovative.

I have the full version of Penny Arcade Adventures and it surprisingly had me hooked, which I couldn't take a very long break before going back to beat it. The price is pretty much the only reason I'd be hesitant about buying this, but likely I managed to get around it. I wouldn't even really say that you have to be a huge fan of PA to like the game, because there's not much in the way of references to the comics as most probably expect. Outside of some characters and some odds and ends, that's about all the game has as far as Penny Arcade's concerned.

As for your call for broken 360 promises, Cheapy, how many paint jobs have you designed with your cell phone? ;) Imagine if Sony puts that idea out in a real application (Home) long before Microsoft, even with the delays that Home has had.

The 360 controller is more like the Dual Shock than the Duke/Controller S? I'm confused by that statement, Cheapy. The only similarity I see are the shoulder buttons and maybe the more comfortable build, but that's it.

I get my podcasts on my PSP with the RSS feed, as it's great to be able to pull up the RSS feeds, download the day's podcasts from my wireless connection, and listen to them once I'm done. I think you missed the point of the RSS feed before, Cheapy, though I know you don't listen to much of any kind of podcast.

Good show.

[quote name='thorbahn3']Damn![/quote]

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']MyResistance.net has been around since last fall at least, I believe, and Insomniac is working on revamping it over the next few months. It's not like websites are now Sony's new smash idea for online communities that they're claiming are innovative.

I get my podcasts on my PSP with the RSS feed, as it's great to be able to pull up the RSS feeds, download the day's podcasts from my wireless connection, and listen to them once I'm done. I think you missed the point of the RSS feed before, Cheapy, though I know you don't listen to much of any kind of podcast.

Good show.[/quote]

There's nothing worse than listening to a podcast on your psp, and the headphones get pulled out, releasing the sound to the world. Then everyone around wonders why the fuck you're listening to video game nerds talk.

Is there a fix for that? That's the biggest reason that I don't use my PSP as an mp3 player.

Is there a Warhawk website? They need one. I don't see how that would be too difficult. Like you pointed out; there is myresistance.net, which has been working well since launch.

[quote name='orko60']There's nothing worse than listening to a podcast on your psp, and the headphones get pulled out, releasing the sound to the world. Then everyone around wonders why the fuck you're listening to video game nerds talk.

Is there a fix for that? That's the biggest reason that I don't use my PSP as an mp3 player.

Is there a Warhawk website? They need one. I don't see how that would be too difficult. Like you pointed out; there is myresistance.net, which has been working well since launch.[/quote]
There is, but I don't think it has its own forums separate from Sony's forums, so it'll redirect you to the ones on the PlayStation site.

Not sure about the volume solution, you could try a rubber band around the PSP and cord to keep it from being likely to be pulled out.

Edit: Actually, I think I figured out how to actually do that. The steps:

1. Turn on PSP without headphones plugged in.
2. Hold the audio button down until it's muted.
3. Plug in headphones.
4. Hold the audio button down again until the volume's back on.
5. Play an audio file, make sure you can here it through the headphones, then pull them out. You shouldn't be hearing anything coming out of the speakers.
6. To get the audio to work with the speakers again, pull out the headphones and hold the audio button down so you see the mute symbol again.
7. Hold the audio button down again until the audio comes back on and it should be coming out the speakers again.

[quote name='Wolfkin']CheapyD and Wombat both of you guys expressed concerns about :ds: "The World Ends With You". Let me (as I'm sure countless others before me have done) highly recommend the game.[/quote]

You know, I wanted to love this game. Actually, I loved everything about it except the stylus control on the bottom screen. Maybe I'm just bad with stylus controls, but it always seemed that things I was trying to do didn't work. Like I was trying to move Neku, but instead of moving him (so he wouldn't get attacked), it would use a fire pin attack. And there was one pin, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get to work, even in the tutorial mode. I don't remember which one it was, but I was quite frustrated. The dual-screen combat was pretty nifty, and once you get the jist of it, isn't as complicated as it sounds. But for me, the stylus control on the bottom screen just didn't work.

I'm beginning to wonder if the reason I have a problem with stylus-control games is because of the screen protector I have on the DS. I had a lot of problems with Phantom Hourglass, too (well I hated the control for that game, period, I gave up after less than 2 dungeons because I found it so annoying).

Anyway, if Cheapy or Wombat wants a used copy of TWEWY, let me know, I could part with it pretty inexpensively..

/tk

[quote name='terpkristin']You know, I wanted to love this game. Actually, I loved everything about it except the stylus control on the bottom screen. Maybe I'm just bad with stylus controls, but it always seemed that things I was trying to do didn't work. Like I was trying to move Neku, but instead of moving him (so he wouldn't get attacked), it would use a fire pin attack. And there was one pin, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get to work, even in the tutorial mode. I don't remember which one it was, but I was quite frustrated. The dual-screen combat was pretty nifty, and once you get the jist of it, isn't as complicated as it sounds. But for me, the stylus control on the bottom screen just didn't work.[/quote]I don't know how far you got but I know in the begining for instance the first pin you get doesn't control the way they tell you to control it. Outside of that I really haven't had too much problems long as you remember the order rule (pins get used in order from left to right), and I use one of the Hori Screen protectors.

[quote name='CheapyD']Well, I just tried it now and it worked. Very odd. There was a good two days there where it was a no go. I remember having a problem like this when the COD4 maps came out.[/quote]

Same thing happened to me as well when CoD4 came out. it must be a server issue. i've spoken to the Xbox head of Live Operations and he said the CSR at MS are completely clueless to what happens on their servers.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']There is, but I don't think it has its own forums separate from Sony's forums, so it'll redirect you to the ones on the PlayStation site.

Not sure about the volume solution, you could try a rubber band around the PSP and cord to keep it from being likely to be pulled out.

Edit: Actually, I think I figured out how to actually do that. The steps:

[/quote]

I will try it, thanks. It's funny, 'cause I was playing God of War: COO on the plane to Costa Rica this week, and I had to shut it off because I got to a part early on where there were two chicks you could bang (after the 'Persian'). It was very embarassing! Why do they have to put silly stuff like that in. I switched to the Patapon demo, as it is okay for people to watch me play that over my shoulder.

[quote name='Wolfkin']I don't know how far you got but I know in the begining for instance the first pin you get doesn't control the way they tell you to control it. Outside of that I really haven't had too much problems long as you remember the order rule (pins get used in order from left to right), and I use one of the Hori Screen protectors.[/quote]

Hmm, maybe I'll give it another go. I got to the third day or so before I just got too frustrated. But if I do, I still think I'm going to wait a little while...

/tk

[quote name='terpkristin']Hmm, maybe I'll give it another go. I got to the third day or so before I just got too frustrated. But if I do, I still think I'm going to wait a little while...

/tk[/quote]

The fire pin kinda sucks because of how it's used. When you use that pin you have to start the stylus under Neku and then drag in order to move him. Try some other pins and you'll probably find it controlling better.

[quote name='lordwow']Great comment gamer, there is definitely a real different attitude here in America by the consumer, and it's not a good one. How many times even on these boards have we argued about trying to trick a cashier into letting us use a coupon in combination of a sale, etc. Then to go and complain to the manager if it doesn't work?

That and these same jerk consumers are also the people working at these places...

Ever since I worked as a cashier, I am incredibly polite and cordial to everyone who works at these places because I know how ridiculous people can be to them all day.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I remember when I was much younger I would be super impatient in cash out lines, thinking to myself "jeeze, why did they hire some old lady who can't even move?" Since getting into retail, I am probably one of the few in the line who don't look like they are about to shoot somebody to advance in the line.

I find the best customers to be those who attempt to trick you in prices. "Oh no that was labeled as $14.97 in the bin over there, not $24.97"

"Mam, it's clearly labeled over there in big bold print as $24.97"

(she shows me where she found it)

"Mam, this is a health and beauty bin, why we would stock movies in this bin?"

"I want your manager"

Common sense. ;)

Yeah, I remember my days working in a ghetto mall. A newer bigger one opened down the road so all our customers were locals who couldn't drive out to the other one. I remember one old lady who would shoplift thongs and try to return them for cash saying she got them as a gag gift.

always enjoy listening to your humor and you bring something that no other podcast has in the video game section.

[quote name='gamer4432']I agree. I remember when I was much younger I would be super impatient in cash out lines, thinking to myself "jeeze, why did they hire some old lady who can't even move?" Since getting into retail, I am probably one of the few in the line who don't look like they are about to shoot somebody to advance in the line.

I find the best customers to be those who attempt to trick you in prices. "Oh no that was labeled as $14.97 in the bin over there, not $24.97"

[/quote]

I used to work in a non-profit secondhand store. You wouldn't believe the amount of scum willing to lie and steal from a charitable organization, even if the merchandise cost less than a dollar.

CheapyD, it was funny to hear you thoughts about tipping. Here's my guidelines about tipping from not only a cheap ass gamer, but a cheap ass tipper too.
1. The tip starts at 15%, for every 5 minutes you have to wait to get your cup refilled, deduct 1%
2. If your waiter/waitress sits you near a crying baby, deduct 5%. The term "family restaurant" really means "colicky babies welcome"
3. If the waiter asks if everything's ok after you finished your meal, deduct 5%
4. if the waiter wasn't very pleasant but made sure your glass is topped off and made sure you were ok, put the tip in the place that he would have to make an effort to reach it.
5. if the waiter makes a pass at your girl, there will be no tip and report to the manager that the waiter sexually harassed your girl. (This happened when I was on a date)

New listener here (sorta), i've listened to a previous CAGcast before however this one tipped me over the edge, I LOVE THE CAGCAST! Can't wait for the next show!

[quote name='JadedJedi']CheapyD, it was funny to hear you thoughts about tipping. Here's my guidelines about tipping from not only a cheap ass gamer, but a cheap ass tipper too.
1. The tip starts at 15%, for every 5 minutes you have to wait to get your cup refilled, deduct 1%
2. If your waiter/waitress sits you near a crying baby, deduct 5%. The term "family restaurant" really means "colicky babies welcome"
3. If the waiter asks if everything's ok after you finished your meal, deduct 5%
4. if the waiter wasn't very pleasant but made sure your glass is topped off and made sure you were ok, put the tip in the place that he would have to make an effort to reach it.
5. if the waiter makes a pass at your girl, there will be no tip and report to the manager that the waiter sexually harassed your girl. (This happened when I was on a date)[/QUOTE]

Most of these sound good except number 2 , and I don't really understand number 4.

In the case of being sat next to a crying baby , what if the alternative was having to wait considerably longer to get a seat? As in "sit here by the cying baby or wait another 15 to 20 minutes for another table to open up"?

I totally agree the tipping in the US, it's such bullshit. When I worked in a restaurant my job wasn't deemed tip-worthy, even though I worked harder than the servers.

The only requirement I really have for a good tip is to keep my drink filled. If I have to ask for another refill after waitng a while, or even worse if I have to remind them a second time they aren't going to get a good tip. The best waiters are the ones who bring me another refill as I'm finishing my current drink.

[quote name='JadedJedi']CheapyD, it was funny to hear you thoughts about tipping. Here's my guidelines about tipping from not only a cheap ass gamer, but a cheap ass tipper too.
5. if the waiter makes a pass at your girl, there will be no tip and report to the manager that the waiter sexually harassed your girl. (This happened when I was on a date)[/quote]

You sound like a complete a-hole. I'm surprised you tip at all. At the very least, you could start at 20 fucking percent...

i just got a zune about a month ago and subscribed to the show through the zune marketplace.

not that the number of zune users is anywhere near itunes users, but plugging it as available on the zune marketplace might get a few more listeners.

did you guys answer a question from "Hiro Protagonist "?? or did i hear wrong.

'cause thats J Allards gamertag, but it might be an impostor. .

[quote name='orko60']You sound like a complete a-hole. I'm surprised you tip at all. At the very least, you could start at 20 fucking percent...[/quote]

I am a complete a-hole, and yes, I sometimes don't tip. That's why I prefer fast food. It's the small revenges that I relish.

[quote name='StarKnightX']In the case of being sat next to a crying baby , what if the alternative was having to wait considerably longer to get a seat? As in "sit here by the cying baby or wait another 15 to 20 minutes for another table to open up"?[/quote]

I don't wait, I just leave. Therre have been many instances where I sat near babies that have been nice and quiet, or the mom or dad gently stops them from crying. Its the ones that are sreaming like a banshee and the parents don't seem to notice or care. No, I am not a father and God willing, never will be.

[quote name='HOVA uk']did you guys answer a question from "Hiro Protagonist "?? or did i hear wrong.

'cause thats J Allards gamertag, but it might be an impostor. .[/quote]

I thought I heard them say it was Hiro Antagonist. Yay for plays on Snow Crash.

/tk

21ew7th.jpg

[quote name='terpkristin']I thought I heard them say it was Hiro Antagonist. Yay for plays on Snow Crash.

/tk[/quote]
Why not just go to the CAGbag and find out who asked it?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Why not just go to the CAGbag and find out who asked it?[/quote]

Come on, FT, that would be doing things the smart way! Plus, I was more or less right, I heard Hiro Antagonist. ;) It's hard to hear the _ in the middle. :D

/tk

5. if the waiter makes a pass at your girl, there will be no tip and report to the manager that the waiter sexually harassed your girl. (This happened when I was on a date)[/quote]

Wow, dude. It's not the waiter's fault you were born with a tiny penis.

It was Hiro Antagonist. I remember it.

And Jaded Jedi, do you ever ADD to the tip when they do good work or do you just punish them?

[quote name='terpkristin']Great show, guys!!!

I've downloaded the PA game demo, but I haven't tried it out yet. I'm probably going to buy it, as I'm a big fan of the comic and I like to support the indy stuff. I wish it were $15 per episode, though. At that price, 4 episodes = 1 complete game = $60.

[/quote]

Major Nelson asked Gabe and Tyco about the $20 price tag on last week's Blogcast. I can't remember which one responded, but he said, "Well Bejeweled is $20."

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...weled&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1109938020399

http://www.popcap.com/games/bejeweled2

To be quite honest. I don't understand tipping at all. The person that is serving you is employed by and establishment to serve you. Now, I don't give a rats ass if he/she/It is making minimum wage because all I got to say about that is get a real job if the one you got ain;t paying you enough. There are plenty of options.

So, if I am to "tip" them because they for the simple fact that they are doing there job yet are not being paid very well that means I should tip the guy at wal-mart who is making minimum wage as well because he went to the back and got me something that was not on the shelf because he was doing his job, just that he isn't gettingpaid enough to do it.

I worked in the restaurant industry for over 4 years as a cook and got paid shit. I did all the hard work, degreased my hair and skin for 45 minutes after every shift so I wouldn't smell like food for the rest of the night/day and I NEVER fuckING GOT TIPPED ONCE!!! You know who gets a tip? The girl with the huge tits taking the food to the customers who has "sooooo much to put up with". Customer service involves you having to interact with people, whether it's Brian in India or me at (my former employer/outsourcer) T-Mobile. There is tonnes of jobs that you can do this line of work in that varies in pay and that requires just as much skill.

So, I am supposed to tip them for what again? Because they make no money at their current job and can;t get off their ass to find themselves a better one? Oh wait what? They have kids and no time? Looking for a new job requires you to sit on ur ass on Workopolis (at least in Canada) for a few hours and email a couple of dozen resumes out. That is it.

But no I am supposed to tip them instead so that they can get a little extra money because their job pays them shit. I don't get that at all. Thus I don't tip or even go to restaurants in general unless it's a special occasion.

One other reason I don't tip is because I don't get any better service regardless. I don't even see the same waiter/waitress/tranny waitress etc. in the restaurants I go to because most of the time they do go and find themselves a better paying job or get fired for being a dick.

/rant.

PS fuck Tipping.

[quote name='terpkristin']Come on, FT, that would be doing things the smart way! Plus, I was more or less right, I heard Hiro Antagonist. ;) It's hard to hear the _ in the middle. :D

/tk[/quote]
I heard it. The capital letters, too. :cool: ;)

[quote name='E*Master']To be quite honest. I don't understand tipping at all. The person that is serving you is employed by and establishment to serve you. Now, I don't give a rats ass if he/she/It is making minimum wage because all I got to say about that is get a real job if the one you got ain;t paying you enough. There are plenty of options.

So, if I am to "tip" them because they for the simple fact that they are doing there job yet are not being paid very well that means I should tip the guy at wal-mart who is making minimum wage as well because he went to the back and got me something that was not on the shelf because he was doing his job, just that he isn't gettingpaid enough to do it.

I worked in the restaurant industry for over 4 years as a cook and got paid shit. I did all the hard work, degreased my hair and skin for 45 minutes after every shift so I wouldn't smell like food for the rest of the night/day and I NEVER fuckING GOT TIPPED ONCE!!! You know who gets a tip? The girl with the huge tits taking the food to the customers who has "sooooo much to put up with". Customer service involves you having to interact with people, whether it's Brian in India or me at (my former employer/outsourcer) T-Mobile. There is tonnes of jobs that you can do this line of work in that varies in pay and that requires just as much skill.

So, I am supposed to tip them for what again? Because they make no money at their current job and can;t get off their ass to find themselves a better one? Oh wait what? They have kids and no time? Looking for a new job requires you to sit on ur ass on Workopolis (at least in Canada) for a few hours and email a couple of dozen resumes out. That is it.

But no I am supposed to tip them instead so that they can get a little extra money because their job pays them shit. I don't get that at all. Thus I don't tip or even go to restaurants in general unless it's a special occasion.

One other reason I don't tip is because I don't get any better service regardless. I don't even see the same waiter/waitress/tranny waitress etc. in the restaurants I go to because most of the time they do go and find themselves a better paying job or get fired for being a dick.

/rant.

PS fuck Tipping.[/quote]

dogs.jpg

[quote name='HOVA uk']did you guys answer a question from "Hiro Protagonist "?? or did i hear wrong.

'cause thats J Allards gamertag, but it might be an impostor. .[/quote]

It's not just J Allard's gamertag. It's a character from a Neal Stephenson novel. Allard didn't make it up or anything, so it could be a coincidence, and probably is.

[quote name='Ender']Wow, dude. It's not the waiter's fault you were born with a tiny penis.[/quote]

It's the waiter's fault that I don't have a full glass. TIpping should be a reward for good service and not an obligation. If the waiter hates their job they can quit and get a job that pays above minimum wage. It's called a college degree. Look into it!

[quote name='orko60']You sound like a complete a-hole. I'm surprised you tip at all. At the very least, you could start at 20 fucking percent...[/quote]

Don't worry, I'm sure he's eaten his share of pubes and spit.

Cheapy, i think that maybe the reason you dont get more reviews on iTunes is because you have to have iTunes installed to do so. I tried to give you guys a review, but since im not about to install iTunes solely for that reason, I cant.

Anyway, just a thought, awesome show!

[quote name='outlawmoogle']Don't worry, I'm sure he's eaten his share of pubes and spit.[/quote]

Outside and inside restaurants, regardless of tipping, I don't doubt.

When I was a cook, we used to drop shit all the time and still serve it. If I knew he was eating, I would dip my ripe balls in the soup, and fill his glass with a delicious concoction of various bodily fluids.

My wife moved to the US from Japan when she was 13, and she's half-black, and half-Japanese. Her family moved here because of the the prejudice they had to deal with. So you're right about that.

the PA game is great even for non fans. i don't read the PA cartoons or commentaries and still fine the game hilarious. I put down my $20. i do hope thought the future episodes are cheaper, although if this one sells well i have my doubts.

Wombat is 100% right on the tipping point. This just happened to me last week. There's a small italian restaurant near my house. My fiance and I went there two weeks ago and liked the food so much we went again the following week.

The first time we ate there I was very happy so I left a largish tip (almost 30%).

The second time we went there, we walked in, the host said "Hello" to us and then started to wander around to the other groups who were there before us.

About 10 minutes in, we started to get irritated that he didn't take our name and put us on the list.

I walked up to say something, I looked at the list and it already said "Blaine - 2".

I told my fiance, she didn't believe me, and then the host came over with our menus and walked us to our seats.

So not only did the waiter remember us but the host remembered as well.

Needless to say the service was excellent.

And if you really think about it, Cheapy is right that 15% tip is pretty much food tax at this point in time, so the only way to really get a response is to tip over the tip.

So I agree with Wombat (tipping can make you a prefered customer) and I agree with Cheapy (waiters should just get a living wage so that tips are only for exemplary service).

[quote name='ELpork']Dear Cheapy and wombat. I love the show but is there a need for so many awkward moments.[/quote]

I didn't hear any awkwardness... it's only awkward if you make it awkward!

This is the first CAGcast I've listened to, and I gotta say it's 10 times better than the rest of the tripe that video game sites call their podcasts.

bread's done
Back