CAGcast #120: Pee Pointers

Wombat, normally I agree that the retro Atari titles aren't worth it. But Warlords is the exception. Warlords was one of the first great four player games. It's actually a pretty good update. The analog sticks improve on the original paddle controllers. And with online play, there's always people to play with.

Knowing Wombat's hates to pay a premium price for a game that's already on a compilation, I have to say:

Buy Atari Evolved at Gamestop after Monday, 6/2, for $9.99. Not only do you get the exact same version of Warlords, you get 10 other updates, and 60 2600 games. It's made by the same developer Stainless Games.

Oh, and Secret Level developed the awful Iron Man game, while Edge of Reality is making the new game. Their last three projects were: Over the Hedge, Pitfall: The lost Expedition, and Shark Tale . Form your own opinions from that.

Great show guys. Regarding DLC, I totally agree with Wonbot. I can't believe there are people defending the fleecing of gamers by greedy corporations. They must be drinking the EA Kool-aid. Have people forgotten that new games cost $60? The idea of dlc is good, but the way it has been abused is laughable. Remember that if you buy stupid DLC you are encouraging this practice, but apparently there are suckers born every minute.

Hey Cheapy, that guy that wrote in crying about you not being able to comment on whether or not interracial marriages are frowned upon in Japan is a moron. It sounded like a guy who idealizes Japan and liked to this of it as some Utopian society. I live in Japan and have been here for 2 years. I'm also a Mexican-American. I would comment on Japan and their perspective on interracial marriage, but I guess I'm not qualified. I'd comment on Mexican immigrants in America and their perspective on interracial marriages but I guess I'm not qualified. The fact that my mother told me not to take home a Japanese girl probably just means I should study more Sociology before commenting on why she might have said that.
I can go on and on but I think that people are still very uptight about racial issues. I guarantee that commenter has never been to Japan. Come here as a non-asian and walk around and see what happens. Ask the comment what he thinks about the term お米か and television personalities putting on big plastic noses to pretend to be foreigners or even black face. How about bars that have signs saying no foreigners allowed? How about the magazine I saw that was SOLELY about crimes committed by foreigners in Japan? Notice, I'm not saying Japan is a bad society, I love it here, yet guys like this will say I'm being judgmental and that Japan has a good reason to act like this. A comedian can't tape his eyes slanted in the U.S., pretend to be Asian, and not get lynched. In Japan, big noses are fine. Does that mean the U.S.'s racial equality is better? I don't know. I do know, however, that an interracial marriage won't be looked at the same in the U.S. as a marriage between two people of the same ethnicity.
Stuff like this gets me worked up. I'm going to jump on a bus now, drink a Chu-hai, get driven the 2 freakin' hours to go 50 miles, yes, 2 hours to go 50 miles, to Hiroshima. See my honkey girlfriend and our Japanese-American friend who feels discriminated against in Japan and act like a drunk, scary, annoying 外人 and talk to Japanese people. I love Japan. Last night I went out very confident some Japanese person would pay for my drinks and sure enough I drank 2 hours on a Japanese guy's tab. I'm all over the place. I need a drink.

Great show guys. I always look forward to hearing the CAGcast.

[quote name='Amerijapoxicano']Hey Cheapy, that guy that wrote in crying about you not being able to comment on whether or not interracial marriages are frowned upon in Japan is a moron. It sounded like a guy who idealizes Japan and liked to this of it as some Utopian society. I live in Japan and have been here for 2 years. I'm also a Mexican-American. I would comment on Japan and their perspective on interracial marriage, but I guess I'm not qualified. I'd comment on Mexican immigrants in America and their perspective on interracial marriages but I guess I'm not qualified. The fact that my mother told me not to take home a Japanese girl probably just means I should study more Sociology before commenting on why she might have said that.
I can go on and on but I think that people are still very uptight about racial issues. I guarantee that commenter has never been to Japan. Come here as a non-asian and walk around and see what happens. Ask the comment what he thinks about the term お米か and television personalities putting on big plastic noses to pretend to be foreigners or even black face. How about bars that have signs saying no foreigners allowed? How about the magazine I saw that was SOLELY about crimes committed by foreigners in Japan? Notice, I'm not saying Japan is a bad society, I love it here, yet guys like this will say I'm being judgmental and that Japan has a good reason to act like this. A comedian can't tape his eyes slanted in the U.S., pretend to be Asian, and not get lynched. In Japan, big noses are fine. Does that mean the U.S.'s racial equality is better? I don't know. I do know, however, that an interracial marriage won't be looked at the same in the U.S. as a marriage between two people of the same ethnicity.
Stuff like this gets me worked up. I'm going to jump on a bus now, drink a Chu-hai, get driven the 2 freakin' hours to go 50 miles, yes, 2 hours to go 50 miles, to Hiroshima. See my honkey girlfriend and our Japanese-American friend who feels discriminated against in Japan and act like a drunk, scary, annoying 外人 and talk to Japanese people. I love Japan. Last night I went out very confident some Japanese person would pay for my drinks and sure enough I drank 2 hours on a Japanese guy's tab. I'm all over the place. I need a drink.

Great show guys. I always look forward to hearing the CAGcast.[/quote]

Paraphrase for me please.

I thought PA was really, really fun. It made me stop playing GTA for a day or two. With the point about the price I didn't mind spending 1600 MS points on it ($15 thanks Target) and would recommend it to most people. When this game came out on the PC and Mac it was priced at $20 so I don't know why it should have been different for the Marketplace.

With that said when the next episode comes out it would be nice if it was $15 but either way I will be getting it just going to keep my eyes open for good price on MS points.

[quote name='shipwreck']What's with all this Guitar Hero vs. Rock Band talk? Whichever wins out, Guitar Hero or Rock Band (or that other one that's not going to win out), I know I'll be rocking out with high-quality Nyko peripherals and I think we all can agree, that's what matters.[/QUOTE]
:rofl: We need an e3 interview where all you do is ask a game developer questions of how the game works with a Nyko controller. Or maybe go to the GH/RB booths peddling Nyko drum sticks that you made yourself.

[quote name='Amerijapoxicano']Japanese are racist, just like the rest of the world.[/quote]

And they even hate their own (just like the rest of the world, I know). My dad's full Japanese, dark like a Samoan, and he gets the oddest looks when we visit Japan. Also, the things people say when they assume you cannot speak the language. You should see the looks on their faces when he replies to their comments. Hehehe... One instance, he replied, and because of his muscular build, the kids bolted in fear. I was so proud. :D

[quote name='chasemurata']And they even hate their own (just like the rest of the world, I know). My dad's full Japanese, dark like a Samoan, and he gets the oddest looks when we visit Japan. Also, the things people say when they assume you cannot speak the language. You should see the looks on their faces when he replies to their comments. Hehehe... One instance, he replied, and because of his muscular build, the kids bolted in fear. I was so proud. :D[/quote]

Yeah, it's the same in Latin America. Having pale skin makes you somehow superior. Cheapy, you should be so proud to be pale. People are full of crap. OH, I forgot to mention. Who ever the hell it was that asked Cheapy if he has a hard time finding his own kid at the child care place is a total freakin' jack ass and that wasn't acknowledged. I personally have taught close to 1,000 kids and have had no more than 5 kids I had a hard time distinguishing, yet I still could tell them apart. If you had a kid in Japan that wasn't 100% Japanese, telling him/her apart would NOT be a problem.

Like I said, the whole damn system is corrput. I miss Jews.

I want to go to a foreign country and be noticed for being a huge, bald white guy too.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']Mak scores 1 nerd point for pointing it out.[/quote]

:whee:

Wombat! Damn it! Please let Cheapy finish a sentence. You make me want to reach through the internet and slap the shit out of you.

Great show this week. Cheapy I viewed your appearance on Hard News (5/26/08)...hilarious. "...It's my turn to shine..." I can't imagine how many times you had to do that. I'll make sure to watch it each time you are on.

Another great show from Cheapy and Wombat. I just wanted to thank you guys for the discussion of the PA game. I thought I was missing something after reading that it was hilarious when I didn't find it particularly funny. Glad to know that I'm not alone.

Great show. Your podcast beats all other video game shows (except CAG Foreplay).

Guitar Hero was first just guitars. Rock Band was first with other instruments. Guitar Hero III was the first game available for the Wii. If Rock Band can't show the love for the Wii, GH: World Tour will likely dominate. DLC, extra features, etc. won't matter at all as long at the GH3 Wii Guitar can be used with GH:WT. More people will end up with that set up.

[quote name='aknowlesjr']Do you have any suggestions? I use these thing to get through my work week. Thanks.[/quote]

my other top 5 (aside from CAGcast and Foreplay) is 1up yours, EGM live, Gamespot Hotspot, Bombcast and Joystiq Podcast. fun shows with a ton of info :D

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Jeers to both Cheapy AND Wombat this week!

Cheapy brings up the 90 minute MGS4 cut scene rumour, which has already been debunked, and then proceeds to say "it wasn't the most *solid denial I've ever seen". (*Was Cheapy making a MG joke?)

Wombat says "Konami asked the Gamepro reviewer to say that".
[/quote]

Konami Asked ‘Metal Gear Solid 4′ Reviewers Not To Mention Cut Scene Length And Installation Time

I’ve been told by two gaming media sources who asked to remain anonymous that Konami representatives had been asking print reviewers to keep some technical details out of their reviews, namely the length of the game’s cut-scenes and the size of the game’s installation on the PlayStation 3. Such details wouldn’t have been plot spoilers, but perhaps the publisher was concerned that they would be viewed as negatives?

Konami representatives declined to comment to me about any of this, as did editors of a few major video game magazines.

A couple of weeks ago, gaming blog Kotaku posted back-to-back links about the two supposedly off-limits topics. The size of the game’s installation was spotted on the “MGS4″ box. The other was a disputed report about the length of the cut-scenes.
So that technical information — accurate or not, I don’t know — is getting out there. And that information about the game has been acknowledged by Eurogamer, which ran an “MGS4″ review that mentions both things.

Cheapy and Wombat, I am in the same boat as you guys when it comes to the Penny Arcade Game. I am not the biggest fan of the game, but I played the demo and enjoyed the combat, I thought it was done well, but I Don't think the game is 20$ fun. If it had been ten, I would have jumped all over it. I don't get how that game could have cost more to develop than Pixel Junk Monsters or SSHD, which people have played for a much longer time.

And Wombat, I think comparing Heavenly Sword to the Penny Arcade game is kind of comparing apples to oranges. Heavenly Sword is a full fledged game in the first year of a system that was one of the best looking games, great production values, and while many people will say it's a button masher, it really wasn't. Where as Penny Arcade game is a downloadable game, and I would say Heavenly Sword would be worth 20$.

Great show yet again guys. Never fails to amuse and inform.
Anyways, thanks for the Penny Arcade prize but I must sadly say that I had the horrible luck of buying the game literally two hours before the show went live. So if you guys could, re-raffle it or something along those lines so another CAG could enjoy it seeing as I already have it. Fortunately enough, I got three $20 Xbox live cards for $5 thanks to the site so it's all pretty gravy.

Ohhh crazytalk, I'll take it! I'm a dedicated CAGer that always buys (and buys a lot) through the affiliate links. :bouncy:

And I just got a co-worker to start listening to the CAGcast two weeks ago.

(he says Cheapy sounds like Ralph from the Howard Stern show)

Justice League Hero's is an RPG............................. Wow............. Wombat??? I thought you knew something about games?

I disagree with you both on your comments about GH:WT. Even if it is just a 'rip-off' this is potentially a good thing (as you were even talking about this on the last CAGcast if I remember correctly). When companies take ideas from others, they tend to improve upon those ideas. GH:WT looks like it has an amazing drumset, and it's supposedly implementing new features with the guitar. The ability to create your own tracks will be a nice feature, and I can't wait to see if they've added anything else. Why leave the genre to Rock Band if someone else is going to try and improve upon that formula in ways Harmonix might not have thought of.

Also, with regards to spoilers, I'm not sure there's ever a good time to ruin things without giving a spoiler warning. 90 days is definitely not enough to openly say it, as when things get busy or you have a ton of games you want to play released close together, you may not find time to get to all of them that quickly. Two recent happenings that annoyed me, on GFW they openly referenced Bioshock's main plot point
"Would you kindly?"
without warning (granted I had already completed the game). One that really annoyed me though, I was watching the X-Play review of Persona 3 FES. I never played the first Persona 3, but had picked this game up to play through. In the middle of the review, they openly said the ending to the first part of the game ("The Journey" story). This was a review of the game! Even if it is sort of a 're-release' this is completely unacceptable! Someone should slap them around a bit...

[quote name='Tsiawd']Justice League Hero's is an RPG............................. Wow............. Wombat??? I thought you knew something about games?[/QUOTE]

Justice League Heroes is in action RPG. It's made by Snowblind Studios who also made other action RPG's like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath.

[quote name='Tsiawd']Justice League Hero's is an RPG............................. Wow............. Wombat??? I thought you knew something about games?[/QUOTE]

Did you ever play it?

If you can call that an RPG you can call Marvel Ultimate Alliance an RPG and I doubt 99/100 people would think MUA when you said name an RPG. I guess they have changed the standard on Role Playing Games over the last 20 years from a true RPG to "it has an RPG elemement, so its an RPG". Well would you call Madden a Sports RPG cuz during camps you can pratice and level up and increase all character traits of your players over time?

[quote name='Wombat']Did you ever play it?[/quote]

[quote name='Tsiawd']If you can call that an RPG you can call Marvel Ultimate Alliance an RPG and I doubt 99/100 people would think MUA when you said name an RPG. I guess they have changed the standard on Role Playing Games over the last 20 years from a true RPG to "it has an RPG elemement, so its an RPG". Well would you call Madden a Sports RPG cuz during camps you can pratice and level up and increase all character traits of your players over time?[/QUOTE]

Activision thinks that MUA is an RPG

"Marvel: Ultimate Alliance is an all-new Action/RPG that lets players create their ultimate team from the largest Super Hero alliance ever as they engage in an epic quest to determine the fate of the Marvel universe. For decades, Earth's Super Heroes have opposed evil in their own cities, and on their own terms. But now, Dr. Doom and a newly reformed Masters of Evil have plans for world domination, and the heroes must band together to defeat them. Players can create and control their own completely unique team, selecting from the largest roster of legendary Super Heroes ever assembled in one game."

from http://www.marvelultimatealliance.com/game_info.php

That I felt that Justice League Heroes was had more RPG elements than MUA, more stat customization.
Do you consider Baulders Gate Dark Alliance or Champions of Norrath an RPG? Maybe we just a different opinion on what makes a game an RPG

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Mak is automatically disqualified.[/QUOTE]

1%20scruffy.jpg

[quote name='Tsiawd']If you can call that an RPG you can call Marvel Ultimate Alliance an RPG and I doubt 99/100 people would think MUA when you said name an RPG. I guess they have changed the standard on Role Playing Games over the last 20 years from a true RPG to "it has an RPG elemement, so its an RPG". Well would you call Madden a Sports RPG cuz during camps you can pratice and level up and increase all character traits of your players over time?[/quote]

I have my doubts about that being a valid argument. People would go for the more widely known ones, like Final Fantasy most likely. MUA may not be a traditional turn-based RPG, but I've always believed if it has a level up system, with character stats, you can call it an RPG.

[quote name='I_Am_ProZac']I have my doubts about that being a valid argument. People would go for the more widely known ones, like Final Fantasy most likely. MUA may not be a traditional turn-based RPG, but I've always believed if it has a level up system, with character stats, you can call it an RPG.[/quote]

Madden You can do training, increase all your players stats and make them better......

[quote name='Tsiawd']Madden You can do training, increase all your players stats and make them better......[/quote]

Those are what we call RPG elements.

Now that i think about it, I kind of agree with Tsiawd. So many games are beginning to add RPG elements to them that it seems kind of unnecessary to add /rpg to every genre.

Madden would be a sports game/rpg, Bioshock a FPS/RPG, Rainbow Six is a tactical shooter/rpg. I think it would be more effective to start using the /notrpg tag.

[quote name='agentxricky']Those are what we call RPG elements.

Now that i think about it, I kind of agree with Tsiawd. So many games are beginning to add RPG elements to them that it seems kind of unnecessary to add /rpg to every genre.

Madden would be a sports game/rpg, Bioshock a FPS/RPG, Rainbow Six is a tactical shooter/rpg. I think it would be more effective to start using the /notrpg tag.[/quote]

Thank you. For example, COD 4 is NOT an RPG because you can level up and get exp, and get new weapons like an RPG. It used to be simple. Sports game, "tecmo bowl", Shooter, "side scrolling like gradius", Adventure/RPG "Zelda, Crystalis, Battle of Olympus, Final Fantasy". Marvel ultimate and Justice league are in the same catagory as Double Dragon, Battletoads, and TMNT. They are button mashing fighting games "that maybe have a few updated elements" but the CORE game is Fighting.

[quote name='Wombat']Activision thinks that MUA is an RPG

Activision thinks Guitar Hero World Tour is the 1st game you can play with Multiple instruments at once too.......

[quote name='Wombat']Activision thinks that MUA is an RPG

"Marvel: Ultimate Alliance is an all-new Action/RPG that lets players create their ultimate team from the largest Super Hero alliance ever as they engage in an epic quest to determine the fate of the Marvel universe. For decades, Earth's Super Heroes have opposed evil in their own cities, and on their own terms. But now, Dr. Doom and a newly reformed Masters of Evil have plans for world domination, and the heroes must band together to defeat them. Players can create and control their own completely unique team, selecting from the largest roster of legendary Super Heroes ever assembled in one game."

from http://www.marvelultimatealliance.com/game_info.php

That I felt that Justice League Heroes was had more RPG elements than MUA, more stat customization.
Do you consider Baulders Gate Dark Alliance or Champions of Norrath an RPG? Maybe we just a different opinion on what makes a game an RPG[/quote]

Wombat's correct. They're all technically RPGs. they have all the elements of a RPG.

RPGs have their own sections just like action games. you have turn-based RPGs (FF, DQ), action-RPGs (Zelda, MUA, KH), strategy-RPGs (FF: Tactics), free-roaming RPGS (Oblivion, Fallout 3). the definition has changed to some degree, imo.

i consider Madden a simulation more than your typical RPG, but the coach features are similar to a RPG. take it what you will. :)

[quote name='Tsiawd']Well it seems even Gamestop Cant even make up their mind on what kinda game Marvel is...

Its action, or Action Adventure, or Action Role Playing. Depends if you buy new, used, greatest hits, and whatever system it changes.
http://www.gamestop.com/browse/search.aspx?N=0&Ntk=TitleKeyword&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=marvel%20ultimate

But they definately wont be putting Justice League Heroes in the RPG Section

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/sear...d&Ntt=justice+league&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial[/QUOTE]

Interesting becuase I think JLH has more RPG elements then MUA. JLH is just Baulder's Gate Dark Alliance with DC characters

[quote name='Tsiawd']Madden You can do training, increase all your players stats and make them better......[/quote]

I've not actually played Madden, but I think having an actual level (like player is lvl 15, not just a set of stats to increase) is what I felt. However, the CoD4 argument destroys that, as you actually have levels in the multi-player portion. This does make things tricky.

I say we petition to remove games from solely being classified as an rpg, and give your traditional turn-based rpgs or D&D style games a new genre title to avoid confusion. :)

Great show you guys. I agree with you about Penny Arcade. More props go to Wombat however, because he seems to be the only podcaster or so called videogame journalist who is willing to tell it like it is about Penny Arcade. Most of the industry seems to be riding on the nutsack of Gabe and Tycho for no good reason. They do good charity work and Pax is a successs but them releasing this game is a masturbatory exercise for themand the lack of critical reviews on this game is symbolic of the jizz guzzling games press who want to make sure they don't screw up their press access at PAX. Thank you two guys for keeping it real.

bread's done
Back