CAGcast #123: All You Can Eat

Lets get Gamecrazy on board as well then they can compete for our business...
Interesting contest, I'll share one of my good stories, not one of my bad ones.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']Here's one a few west-coast CAG's will be attending, although Cheapy and Ship will be long-gone.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184877[/quote]

Thanks. I put my name in here, although I am unsure if I can attend. My schedule, particularly during the summer, is quite chaotic. If we could get one with CheapyD and Shipwreck then that would give all the more incentive for me, and I am sure many others, to attend.

Hey Cheapy,

Just wanted to say I just watched Gone Baby Gone and completely agree with your review on it.
It was a powerful movie that had me thinking more than once what would I do in that situation.
Great recommendation.

Great show, as every week is! I'm sure the Gamestop contest has been covered a few times over by now, but I feel compelled to comment on it.

I assume that Gamestop has chosen the entrance requirements as well as the call-in format. Now if you're going to sponsor a contest, I believe it makes the most sense to use this opportunity to learn about your target customers. Ask them for improvements, suggestions, and opinions on store policy, employee interactions, merchandising, store selection, website functionality, etc.

I came up with three reasons why Gamestop has chosen this contest format:

1. They want CAGs to think about their best trips to Gamestop, and hopefully this will convince CAGs that they do enjoy shopping at Gamestop, they have got some good deals there, and they should return soon.

2. They can learn about what their customers like about the Gamestop shopping experiences. Then they can pass this information down to the store level to try to create more of these experiences.

3. So the CEO of Gamestop can sit in his plush office with a bottle of KY in one hand, and on the desk a bank statement showing him the interest he's making on pre-orders of Madden 2014. Then he puts on the speakerphone, dials 555-EATCAG, and goes to town.

All that said, Gamestop does run some good deals, and there is no better place for a B&M gaming fix. I just hope, for the sake of all Gamestop customers, that future contests conduct a more probing analysis of the CAG community.

[quote name='drfrielgood']I assume that Gamestop has chosen the entrance requirements as well as the call-in format.[/quote]Nope, entirely my idea.
They just wanted to have an ad...I turned it into a contest. I thought that would be more interesting than playing a pre-recorded ad and allows me to kick back a percentage of the ad revenue back to the listeners.

[quote name='CheapyD']Nope, entirely my idea.
They just wanted to have an ad...I turned it into a contest. I thought that would be more interesting than playing a pre-recorded ad and allows me to kick back a percentage of the ad revenue back to the listeners.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I was totally off-base on that one! I guess that's the marketing background in me, trying to analyze things from a Gamestop perspective.

As for the Gamestop sponsorship itself, congratulations, they are the kingpin of the industry and its quite a coup to have them onboard. It must be crazy to look at where you began and what you've accomplished with the site.

That's an awesome gesture with the giftcard contest; that dedication to the CAGs is what has so many longtime readers such as myself coming back every day.

[quote name='CheapyD']Nope, entirely my idea.
They just wanted to have an ad...I turned it into a contest. I thought that would be more interesting than playing a pre-recorded ad and allows me to kick back a percentage of the ad revenue back to the listeners.[/quote]

That is a nice gesture of you. :applause:

Great show guys. MMmmmmmmmmmm RIBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That Tony Roma's picture was awesome. Just joined the Cag Facebook page, and sent friend requests to the 2 of you. Now you can have 151 friends Wombat.

No problem with Gamestop being invited back to the pages of CAG, times change and people chnage, much like our politicians. :lol:

[quote name='Quintessence']I think I voted for K-Mart or some store like that, so this will not affect my vote in that. Perhaps these new steps will help it to do a turn-around and win best online and/or brick-and-mortar store.[/quote]

I nominated K-Mart. The place looks like a tornado hit their game department, and they don't seem tp keep up with universal price drops. Gamestop still is my favorite brick and mortar. Whenever I walk in, they all say hi to me by name, and never ask me if they can help me, beacuse if they do, they're new, and the manager says: That guy knows a lot more about games than you could imagine. I also play Rock Band with them as the drummer.

Great show, guys, although I think it’s a sign Cheapy’s been in Japan too long when he’s ogling the panties of pubescent girls with no sense of shame whatsoever.

I’ve never played a Metal Gear Solid game, and after learning that a guy shitting himself is a major (and recurring) plot pillar in the series, I have no plans to.

I like the CAGs on News theme and frankly would be sad if it went away. Maybe you have to be a child of the 80s to really appreciate its retro charm?

[quote name='CouRageouS']If theres grass on the field, play ball! Though to be honest no one really keeps grass on the field anymore. ;)[/quote]

Spoken like a man who's never been married. :roll: I think golf offers a more apt metaphor: When you're just starting out, everything's nicely trimmed. But if you pursue the hole for any length of time, get used to spending a lot of time in the rough. ;)

[quote name='Tybee']Great show, guys, although I think it’s a sign Cheapy’s been in Japan too long when he’s ogling the panties of pubescent girls with no sense of shame whatsoever.

I’ve never played a Metal Gear Solid game, and after learning that a guy shitting himself is a major (and recurring) plot pillar in the series, I have no plans to.

I like the CAGs on News theme and frankly would be sad if it went away. Maybe you have to be a child of the 80s to really appreciate its retro charm?

Spoken like a man who's never been married. :roll: I think golf offers a more apt metaphor: When you're just starting out, everything's nicely trimmed. But if you pursue the hole for any length of time, get used to spending a lot of time in the rough. ;)[/quote]

and you put your balls in several holes before youre finished

I was going to say the jokes were better two episodes ago but Wombat's take on your new sponsor brings the show back up to par. Their sponsorship of your show doesn't change my attitude towards their corporate practices but it doesn't change my completely appropriate man-love for you guys either so you haven't lost me.

Regarding celebrities: I realize that as you are not a 12 year old girl you're no longer the target of Disney Channel. You should be aware that Raven Symone from "That's So Raven" and Miley Ray Cyrus from "Hannah Montana" both make quite a pretty penny from their games. I've only played one Raven game and I wouldn't qualify it as good but I was reading an article on Raven and I wouldn't be surprised if she made more money from her games than 50 Cent did from his.

Regarding the contest:
Can we call in each week or do we call in once and it's still viable each week.

[quote name='chinese_fury']Nintendo games very rarely drop in price. Even months to year later, they are stilled priced at msrp.[/quote]I'm not sure what you're talking about? Luigi's Mansion dropped so did Animal Crossing, F-Zero, Final Fantasy, Zelda, Mario Golf, Metroid, Resident Evil, Mario Sunshine, Star Fox, Metal Gear, a lot of the Sonic Games. Sure Smash Melee and Double Dash didn't but those aren't maximally priced if i recall. You can't count Twilight Princess because that was released with Wii.

Hey Cheapy about you being able to not understand the Metal Gear/Metal Gear Solid story even though you said even after watching the retrospectives on GT I highly recommend them because I was able to follow the story better. Then you should read up on the MG Database because after you know the characters names and the story its much much easier to get.

I hope you get a ton of money doing this Gamestop thing. Cause I was seriously stunned when I heard you guys talk about it on the CAGCast.

I've always felt Gamestop was the CAG enemy.

Sneeze at 22.20 XD

Anyways, 2 disked Forza? How would that work? "Please Insert Disk 2 to load the REAR WING of your FERARRI F420" Is there actaully a 2 disk 360 game out there right now? Its not like Forza is a linear game.

[quote name='Link927']Sneeze at 22.20 XD

Anyways, 2 disked Forza? How would that work? "Please Insert Disk 2 to load the REAR WING of your FERARRI F420" Is there actaully a 2 disk 360 game out there right now? Its not like Forza is a linear game.[/quote]

you stole that joke from Destructoid

90809-forza3.jpg

Well, sort of.

Cheapy,

I ended up watching Who Killed the Electric Car? after you suggested it a few CAGcasts ago, and I really enjoyed it. Definitely something everyone should check out, and I'd be interested in you giving us some more movie recommendations.

[quote name='DreadMech'] I highly recommend [GT Retrospectives] because I was able to follow the story better. Then you should read up on the MG Database...[/quote]not only did CheapyD mention that he saw some videos. he speciically mentioned the GT ones AND mentioned the Database.
[quote name='DarkNessBear']I hope you get a ton of money doing this Gamespot thing. Cause I was seriously stunned when I heard you guys talk about it on the CAGCast.

I've always felt Gamespot was the CAG enemy.[/quote]thus it becomes even MORE important to know the difference between GameSPOT and GameSTOP. In spite of many of us not liking GameSTOP CAG has always 'supported' them in the sense that you always hear about their GamerDay Deals and such.

[quote name='Tybee']I’ve never played a Metal Gear Solid game, and after learning that a guy shitting himself is a major (and recurring) plot pillar in the series, I have no plans to.[/quote]
:lol: at the false assumptions

[quote name='StinkyCheese']you stole that joke from Destructoid

90809-forza3.jpg

Well, sort of.[/QUOTE]

I never saw that before my post, although I'll give it to you that its pretty funny ;)

[quote name='Link927']I never saw that before my post, although I'll give it to you that its pretty funny ;)[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that EVERYONE'S going to make that obvious joke in some form or another. Don't be ashamed.

Porting MGS4 to the 360 would be more difficult than people think. Aside from the obvious space constraints, the game is absolutely filled with Apple hardware and software (MacBook Pro, iPod, Apple Cinema Display) and Sony hardware (PS1, Memory Cards, SIXAXIS, Dual Shock, Dual Shock 3, PS3, Blu-Ray Disc), with multiple references to them directly in the story. Cutscenes would have to be completely redone, dialogue would have to be removed, and even gameplay elements would have to be radically altered and/or cut entirely. Plus, don't even get me started on Metal Gear Online...do you really think MS is going to let the Konami ID thing through on XBL? MS wants to charge MS Points themselves for content, not let a third party get all of the profit.

[quote name='Link927']I never saw that before my post, although I'll give it to you that its pretty funny ;)[/quote]

I wasnt trying to be mean or anything. It was mostly an excuse to post that picture :D

Wind blown panties that is a lucky day you should say a pray of thanks to the pervert gods. Are you really a pervert for just looking? I mean if you are looking at eight and tweleve year old girls I think you are a pervert. But lets face it once they are fully developed, just looking is not so bad. When I look at girls I always imagine that they are eighteen years and one day old. If I was going to touch one of them I would demand to see two forms of ID, to confirm their age.

I have to disagree with you on the whole the woman is not a mother until the baby actually comes out. For the mother I think it is much more real to them right away because they feel a living person growing inside of them. I feel they are already a mother because they are actively caring for the child. Their daily habits and choices they make directly affect the child. If the mother drinks alcohol, the child has a high chance of coming out a window licking retard. So by eating right and taking care of themselves they are directly caring for the child. So really a mother’s day gift before the child is born in owed.

Cheapy, you were talking about getting some CAGs together to play some Metal Gear Solid IV online. Is there a form thread started to try to arrange an online get together? With your apparent love of toilet humor jokes, I honestly thought the cut scene with the guy suffering from the Hershey squirts inside drum would be the one you would enjoy the most!

Well Cheapy and Wombat said they wanted to see more micro transaction and less macro transactions. So it sounds like here come the micro transactions in the form of clothing for avitars. Honestly more stuff that should be free to market and promote games, and leave it to Microsoft to expect us the gamers to pay for yet more crap that really has no benefit. Gamer Pics, Themes, and now clothes, all stuff to help you spend those last 50 or 100 Microsoft Points that you have left over. It is bad enough that most of the downloadable games cost $10 let alone expecting you to buy clothes for an Avitar to help promote those games. I sincerely hope that game publishers are smart enough to include these free on the disk, or make them in game unlockables. Talk about a great marketing ploy, when people ask you how you got some cool shirt on your avatar and you explain that you unlocked it by completing some side mission or did something inside the game.

Whoever asked about IPTV, I agree that is a broken promise. A year ago I sent the GamerScore Blog a question about where they were at with IPTV. Did they read that question, no they read the question “Hey guys what do you think is behind the insane attach rate of the 360?”. Yeah way to field the real softball questions, we would really hate to see a marketing team answer real questions about their company’s products and services. And actually it was CES 2005 in Bill Gates and Robbie Bach said that it would be available to customers that fall. So yeah I think that is what I would call a broken promise.

[quote name='Wolfkin']not only did CheapyD mention that he saw some videos. he speciically mentioned the GT ones AND mentioned the Database.
quote]

I know, I listen to the Cagcast too. But I believe he said he started to watch the videos and not watch "all" of them, and when he was talking about it im not even sure Database was released yet...

[quote name='Wolfkin']not only did CheapyD mention that he saw some videos. he specifically mentioned the GT ones AND mentioned the Database.[/quote]

I know, I listen to the CAGcast too. But I believe he said he started to watch the videos and not watch "all" of them, and when he was talking about it im not even sure Database was released yet..:bouncy:

bread's done
Back