CAGcast #130: Joe Schmoe's Penis World

[quote name='youruglyclone']no it cost about 170, there's an automatic promo deduction of $59.99, so the game is essentially free if you buy the lancer.

how would I know? I was crazy/dumb enough to jump on it the moment the bundle was announced.[/quote]

Fair enough, but surely that would be something they'd want to promote? Rather than showing it as $209? But i guess your proof that theres enough people around who would pay that much, the discount off is just a cheeky bonus.

Another note, Wombat mentioned how he found Geo Wars 2 more enjoyable than Braid, and its was also cheaper. Does this mean to say that had Geo Wars 2 been 1200 that nothing would have been said? People seem to be dwelling too much on how much Braid cost and no enough on how good a game it is, almost let the price tag take something away from how enjoyable the game is. Just food for thought.. and i think my brain just exploded.

[quote name='RobotChickenMk1']In reference to the whole replica Lancer thing, you only get the game with it if you're willing to pay $209 as a bundle style thing. Not saying its not worth it, just saying... what are games companies willing to do to squeeze money out of their big titles?[/quote]

I can't be the only one that read that as "big titties." Too much GTA IV.

And Cheapy could even make buying something from a vending machine interesting, can't you pay for something via cellphone or something like that? That's easily as interesting as the videos of him naked.

[quote name='ParticleReality']Actually, there was a black guy in Top Gun. His name was Troy Hunter and he played a Radio Operator. IMDB also has a listing for this movie.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0403081/[/quote]

Forget that guy, there was also a "rear" who was a "token" black guy.

Clarence Gilyard, Jr. was in Topgun AKA: Theo "the quarterback is toast" guy from Die Hard, and I think he was on Walker T.R.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0319739/

Also kudos for the TG-16 Bonk ad. "I played me some of that sh!t."

I think LBP is going to bomb.

First, it's another Viva Pinata in terms of a product being mismatched for its audience.

Second, no family is going to buy a Ps3 for it. It would do alot better on the Wii or PS2 or DS.

Third, the LBP fanboys are all daydreaming of the "possibilities" of making all these levels and haven't waken up yet. 99% are going to be horseshit. You can be a great & proficient level designer as long as the game has yet to come out.

Fourth, the same fanboys are so mesmerized by these possibilities and by the high production values that don't see that the thing is a basic 2d platformer underneath it all.

As for downloadable games, well, most are overpriced. The big reason imo is you can't trade in downloaded games or resell them. You can't get 50-75% of your purchase price back after you finish a game or if you find out you don't like a game. And remember you can rent $60 games for $8 for at least5 days from Blockbuster.

ON top it, imo, you have to take into account that the cost of development of games like the $15 Braid game are way less than 1/4 the cost of development of a $60 game. So in those terms a game like Braid for $15 is also over-priced.

And last, but not least, these games have no fixed distribution costs. You don't have to pay to press the game on disc and package it or pay to ship it to distributors or retailers. Retailers aren't incurring costs to stock your game. Sure MS charges a royalty, but I think it's based on copies sold. It cost them a bit of bandwidth and not much more than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a 15min video podcast would be nice.. you could cut it up into 3 5min segments like Japan, Gaming and IDK... Wombat? The 3rd segment could change every week to spice things up or something. Releasing once a week like your podcasts would be awesome.

LittleBigPlanet is going to be great, it's about the only reason I can find right now to warrant a PS3 purchase when I already own a 360.

I have to disagree with Wombat. I think that the user created content is going to keep LBP alive. There are going to be professional made levels and probably more packs released later. Most online games on PC have been saved by user created contents. Take a look at half life, counter strike, HL2, diablo 2 etc. All those have tons of user created content that had increased the longevity of the game. I think the reason it may seem weird is because it hasn't really been done on a console before. I think there's going to be great content and even more awful content, but if you can rate the content and search/sort by ratings then there won't be too many Penis Worlds flooding the levels. Also, I'm excited for this game not because I can create levels but because it's an online 2d sidescroller.

[quote name='Wombat']I thought it was Merlin that took over for Goose, I am so embarrassed[/quote]

You are actually part correct. Merlin was Maverick's RIO when they shot down the MIGs at the end. However the black dude or sundown did a run with him to polish off training camp. I think they only flew together once.

Wow my feedback was read back on the fake air. Awesome! :D

I must say though Cheapy, it seems very odd that the Pizza Guy decided to shave his head the night of the party, almost as if he was trying to be just like you. Sounds pretty stalker-like to me... If he decides to grow some bushy eyebrows and suddenly obtains a huge obsession for Little Big Planet and Warhawk...Restraining Order FTW. ;)

EDIT - Great show, and the call-in show would be a great idea on Thursday.

Great show this week. I'd have to say that I really do not like paying for any downloadable game for more than $10. As for your going to the movie's comment well I don't pay full price for that either. I get the certificates at costco so I get two tickets for $15. I do understand what you guys are saying though there is a lot of crap out there and where to you draw your own price point is very subjective. I just don't want developers to get the idea that the new standard price should be $15 now instead of $10 or lower for the crap they try to sell us.

As for buying games at full price at launch, I buy very few games at launch without a discount or some deal attached to it. It took me until CC had MGSIV for $50 with a $10 giftcard attached before I picked it up. I will say though I've been buying a lot of games that have been discounted and/or on sale because of this site so thank you for that.

In short, great show guys, and keep it up. A video podcast would be good but without Wombat it would be lacking that extra bit of something. I think a tacked on section would be good considering your schedules.

Cheapy,
Your original hunch was correct. Hispanics are white and their ethnicity is Hispanic or Latino.

From Wikipedia:
A White Hispanic or White Latino is a United States citizen or resident whose race is white and whose ethnicity is Hispanic or Latino; i.e. a Hispanic or Latino White American.
The concepts of race and ethnicity are mutually independent in the Office of Management and Budget's and United States Census Bureau's definitions. Thus, every American is identified by both a race and an ethnicity. The distinction made by government agencies for those within the population of any official race category, including White American, is between those who report Hispanic or Latino ethnic backgrounds and all others who do not. In the case of White Americans, these two groups are respectively termed "White Hispanics" and "non-Hispanic Whites", the former being those who report ancestry from the people of Spain or Spanish-speaking Latin America, and the latter consisting of an ethnically diverse collection of all others who are classified as White Americans that do not report Hispanic ethnic backgrounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Hispanic

Wow, everybody is mentioning Wombats comments about Little Big Planet and Top Gun. I think we all need to re-focus on another comment he made. Didn't anyone else think it was a bit odd on how fast Wombat jumped on Cheapy for getting the serial killers mixed up? He knew exactly who they where and what they did. He seemed genuinley pissed at Cheapy for not knowing. Somebody should PM Shipwreck and ask if he saw a well down in Wombats basement, or at least a basket and some lotion. Also, Wombat had a good call out about the Madden moment, nice observation.

Great show as always, but I have to wonder why Cheapy is so against GH:WT. It seems like it gets mentioned every week about how "Rock Band is going in the right direction" and guitar hero is not. I don't see what Rock Band has to offer that GH doesn't except for a different track list. Aside from DLC and it's already large library, there's nothing there that GH doesn't offer, and GH promises more DLC for World Tour (we'll see if that actually happens, but this is irrelevant to me b/c I don't get it unless it's free). Harmonix (RB) may have always made the games, but Red Octane (GH) produces much better instruments, which I believe is key to these games. I can't even stand to play Rock Band with the horrible guitar that comes with the game. Plus the ability for user created content is just kind of a bonus, but that leads into the LBP discussion...

With regards to LBP, I have to agree with Wombat. People are stupid. Therefore, the majority of people make stupid things. Now say you're in a game with some friends making a stage... how long until someone gets bored/annoyed and decides to start screwing things up, destroying things, etc. Granted I know this won't always be the case, but this is why I think "User Created Content" should never be the selling point of a game. 1% worthwhile, 95% penis/ass/breast-land and the rest just utterly retarded.

great show, i've come to realize that cheapy loves the attention that comes with talking about his private life and Wombat is more private about his life. This is why we don't hear updates about his baby girl. Wombats probably not going to call his baby a sack of meat.

I think that a short video podcast would be a good idea. I was opposed to the idea at first because I love the few episodes of CAG shovelware that Cheapy has done in the past. Also, I do not have a video iPod or an iPhone and so I would not be able to take a video podcast on my morning commute. However, a short video podcast with different ideas each time sounds like it could be a great idea. I love the short videos that Cheapy posts of quirky Japanese things that he randomly encounters and the nifty gadgets in his everyday life. Seeing more of those would be great. Also, a new episode of CAG Shovelware every once in a while would be great as well. Love the CAGcast! Keep up the great work, Cheapy and Wombat!

Don't worry Cheapy, I'll be front and center while your speaking at PAX. Granted I may be able to show up 15 seconds before it begins and walk right up front and center, but I'll be there none the less.

I think the whole debate back and forth with Little Big Planet would make a great shovelware, Even if it's not exactly a high priority. We just need some great pictures of pissed of wombats when our wombat yells at Cheapy.

And when I say yells at Cheapy, I mean in the way Ms. Wombat yells at her significant other!

Cause beating a dead horse is always fun. :D

Actor Clarence Gilyard Jr. played the officer with the callsign Sundown. After Goose died he was Maverick's RIO (radar intercept officer) while at the Top Gun school.

izz32e.jpg

What was up with the crappy intro music? Have you completely run out of video game music to play? I know you guys stooped so low as to play game show music, so I'm not all that surprised.

It was weird to hear Wombat complaining about the Madden Moment mini-game's rosters being inaccurate enough that he wouldn't be buying Madden, even though he's never made any other mention of interest in the game. From what I've seen of the mode, it's all about the big moments of last season and I can't imagine that they'd like to create 30-some different roster files for all of these games with accurate player ratings, rosters, and all that just for the simple act of having you recreate the drives. I know you were all psyched about All-Pro Football 2K8 last year because Dave Megget was in the game, so I'm completely confused as to why this was such a huge deal for you.

Then there was Wombat's criticisms of LittleBigPlanet focusing solely on the level creation part, bashing it like there's no big single-player mode that people have been talking about for some time now. It's definitely not going to be the incomplete game you make it out to be, as it's supposed to have about 60 levels included in the game. Have you listened to last week's 1up Yours at all? Shane and Mark go on about the single-player mode and all that.

Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty is supposed to be about 4 hours or so, which would be about a quarter of the full game for about a quarter of the price. That's a reasonable price for me to get more of a game I greatly enjoyed. I'm sure if there was a bonus Uncharted PSN game coming out that you wouldn't be so quick to diss it, Cheapy. ;)

Seemed like Wombat's most negative episode to date. It seemed like if there was any chance to be negative about a game, he took it and ran with it throughout the entire segment. Good show despite being mostly negative.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm sure if there was a bonus Uncharted Stranglehold PSN game coming out that you wouldn't be so quick to diss it, Cheapy. ;)
[/quote]
Fixed!

And I find it funny that most of the negative talk about LPB is coming from people who haven't even touched the damn game. Whereas most of the hype is coming from people who have actually played it.

I don't have a Wii yet, but the Wii-bashing gets tiresome. Yeah, we get it already - you don't play the Wii. You don't like the Wii. Not all of us want games where the "highlight" is shooting people in the groin. The main thing that matters to me is that a game be fun to play. Also, I like games that I can play with my kids, both because I like to share games with my kids, and also because most of the time available to me for playing games is with my kids. So, for me, the Wii is the most appealing of the current gen systems. That I've loved past Nintendo games doesn't hurt.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
It was weird to hear Wombat complaining about the Madden Moment mini-game's rosters being inaccurate enough that he wouldn't be buying Madden, even though he's never made any other mention of interest in the game. From what I've seen of the mode, it's all about the big moments of last season and I can't imagine that they'd like to create 30-some different roster files for all of these games with accurate player ratings, rosters, and all that just for the simple act of having you recreate the drives. I know you were all psyched about All-Pro Football 2K8 last year because Dave Megget was in the game, so I'm completely confused as to why this was such a huge deal for you.

Then there was Wombat's criticisms of LittleBigPlanet focusing solely on the level creation part, bashing it like there's no big single-player mode that people have been talking about for some time now. It's definitely not going to be the incomplete game you make it out to be, as it's supposed to have about 60 levels included in the game. Have you listened to last week's 1up Yours at all? Shane and Mark go on about the single-player mode and all that.

Seemed like Wombat's most negative episode to date. It seemed like if there was any chance to be negative about a game, he took it and ran with it throughout the entire segment. Good show despite being mostly negative.[/QUOTE]

I mentioned a few eps a go that I did not own a madden from this gen and that this may be my year. Getting the momments right is importnat because the players on the field are what make the momment relevent. Without it you are just playing 2 minutes of anything, it has no significance. As a feature and it being the only game in town, this is something they need to get right. As a football fan and a madden fan I find it insulting to me and offensive. All-pro 2k is more of a fantasy game and has no bearing on real football.

As for LBP, I just have concerns, if just agreed with Cheapy on the show then people wouldn't be talking about it now. Also I know of at least one person who had a chance to play it at E3 and wasn't impressed. I wont say who but it rhymes with flipseck. This game is very different from anything on the system , I think I am allowed to question whether the game will live up to its hype. Or is just a 2D platformer with a level creator.

I really don't think I was being all that negative, I just wasnt aggreing with everything Cheapy said. Heck I enjoyed Braid and Geo Wars 2 and I said I was looking forward to Banjo Kazooie. People just focus on the negative because it seems the be the most interesting things I say.

Maybe you Wiis would get more use if you played games with your wives. I enjoy trying to find games that my wife and I can play together, and the Wii's controls are simple enough that she isn't overwhelmed with buttons to press.

On the subject of video podcasts I think it would be interesting to see some of the places that Cheapy frequents in Japan. Also, why not bring back Wombat's Burough and turn it into a video podcast ala Sessler's Soapbox.

I think football sucks, but Wombat is right in that the mode is supposed to be recreating a significant real life moment, having players that were not even there is pretty stupid.

[quote name='Wombat']I mentioned a few eps a go that I did not own a madden from this gen and that this may be my year. Getting the momments right is importnat because the players on the field are what make the momment relevent. Without it you are just playing 2 minutes of anything, it has no significance. As a feature and it being the only game in town, this is something they need to get right. As a football fan and a madden fan I find it insulting to me and offensive. All-pro 2k is more of a fantasy game and has no bearing on real football. [/quote]

That is logical and I actually agree with Wombat, plus isn't Madden getting lazy and not commentating in the game? I heard its Chris Collinsworth and some other dude. But hey, when you do not have to compete with any other NFL games, you can do whatever you want as a developer.

Cheapy, your pizza friend is lucky. If he busted into a house in the US he would've been shot or beat up pretty bad, I bet. Why did he become so friggin drunk? Anyways, epic story. Keep us posted, lol.

As for the CAGcast Shovelware discussion, Cheapy is right. It takes a lot of time cuz I made one for them. I sorta gave up on another one I was working on since looking for pics on google is a real hassle. But I have some cool ideas for some other video stuff for CAG. Too bad I haven't had any time for them like Cheapy...

btw, without Wombat, it's automatic fail. ;)

Nice show guys.

I'm not sure why Cheapy is against Guitar Hero: World Tour. From what I understand, they're still doing the traditional, guitar-based game, but in addition they are doing Rock Band-like multiplayer.

If you only have a guitar, you'd play GH:WT like you play GH today; or if you have the whole setup with the drums, mic, and guitar, then you'd play as a band.

Plus, it's not like GH:WT is only coming out in a bundle. You can buy just the game ($60), the guitar + game ($99), or the whole setup ($180). What's wrong with that? They're covering everyone, right?

P.S. I don't work for Activision!

[quote name='Loonknight']I do understand what you guys are saying though there is a lot of crap out there and where to you draw your own price point is very subjective. I just don't want developers to get the idea that the new standard price should be $15 now instead of $10 or lower for the crap they try to sell us.

As for buying games at full price at launch, I buy very few games at launch without a discount or some deal attached to it. It took me until CC had MGSIV for $50 with a $10 giftcard attached before I picked it up. I will say though I've been buying a lot of games that have been discounted and/or on sale because of this site so thank you for that.

[/quote]

We owe it to ourselves, as well as to the gaming community as a whole, to put pressure on developers and publishers to keep the prices low. One way to do this is to wait until prices drop on games, and post our outrage at the high cost of dlc where we cannot recoup any of our investment (in terms of re-selling the game).

[quote name='Wombat']
As for LBP, I just have concerns, if just agreed with Cheapy on the show then people wouldn't be talking about it now. Also I know of at least one person who had a chance to play it at E3 and wasn't impressed. I wont say who but it rhymes with flipseck. This game is very different from anything on the system , I think I am allowed to question whether the game will live up to its hype. Or is just a 2D platformer with a level creator.

I really don't think I was being all that negative, I just wasnt aggreing with everything Cheapy said. Heck I enjoyed Braid and Geo Wars 2 and I said I was looking forward to Banjo Kazooie. [/quote]

I think that's pretty insightful, (and I am usually more likely to agree with Cheapy) I am now more aligned with Wombats observations on this one. Something can be incredibly innovative and fail miserably. It seems like this title might actually be something more aptly suited for a different platform.

I hope I am wrong, the concept is fantastic- it's the venue that seems to be the questionable element.

I am someone who roots far all the consoles to succeed because I think the more choices available the better the products are forced to be; That being said- I don't see this as a game that can (solely) be a bases for driving console sales. In that regard I think Eric Fong is guilty of a little wishful thinking (or his statements along those lines are just some pre-release sales-spin / puffing).

Regardless, I am excited about LBP. Ironically, it's one of very few games I would actually prefer to see on a PC of all things. Some gamers find dabbling in light dev. style stuff rewarding. I really enjoyed mapping for HL mods (ie. CS) but I really don't see myself spending hours on end laying on the couch doing it. It's just not the kind of entertainment I seek from a console but kudos for giving us the option Eric.

I completely agree with Wombat's assessment of LBP's mass market appeal. As fun as people are going to have designing game levels in terms of general appeal I'd much rather edit my character and put him in a world than edit my world and put in a character. If I'm lazy and I don't feel like creating strange characters I can still enjoy the level. If I'm lazy and don't feel like creating a level I'm stuck with nothing.*

You can't count on downloadable characters/levels because of the oft mentioned penis corollary. (If there exists the ability to create user content someone will find a way to flood it with penis)

*not to discount the single player experience but a major draw of this game is the 'user generated content'. I think it's fair since this game is supposed to sell systems on UGC to weigh the game by it.

[quote name='Wombat']I mentioned a few eps a go that I did not own a madden from this gen and that this may be my year. Getting the momments right is importnat because the players on the field are what make the momment relevent. Without it you are just playing 2 minutes of anything, it has no significance. As a feature and it being the only game in town, this is something they need to get right. As a football fan and a madden fan I find it insulting to me and offensive. All-pro 2k is more of a fantasy game and has no bearing on real football.

I really don't think I was being all that negative, I just wasnt aggreing with everything Cheapy said. Heck I enjoyed Braid and Geo Wars 2 and I said I was looking forward to Banjo Kazooie. People just focus on the negative because it seems the be the most interesting things I say.[/QUOTE]

Madden:

You haven't bought a Madden this gen, and yet you proclaim to be a fan? Remember, the point of the Madden Moments if for "The Player" to be in the same moment as the team. To have that same adversity, to have that one shot to either win it all or lose it all; To replay a moment, with the personnel they see fit, and with the plays they themselves want to use in that situation. Maybe Shockey fans wanted to see Shockey make a winning touchdown... hell maybe Shockey himself wants to relive that moment being on the field. If you're just going to run the same plays, and use the same people, essentially aren't you just watching a replay? I think the joy of the moments is driving down the field, having limited time, one shot criticle drive and doing it the your way, and with your favorite set of personnel. (maybe I want the touchdown to come on a statue of liberty play?) I'm a Shockey Fan, and when I played the demo I was glad he was there because I'd love to rewrite that piece of history and have him make some big catches, or a touchdown. Point is, I feel you criticized Madden the game too harshly just because of the demo. If you purchase the game, you can substitute the players that you think should be on the field. In your own words...maybe it was just a case of "Good Game, Bad Demo."

Little Big Planet:

All I can say is that, don't take one feature of the game, and make it into the game's achillies heel. You take the user created levels and make it seems like this feature is going to make or break the game. There's still a "GAME" that will need to be played, there's an adventure in LBP, think of it as a new age Mischief Makers. Party of the blame can go to Sony because they've been showing so much user created features, that they've barely touched on the main portion of the game.

I think I have to agree that Wombat has a really good point about LBP's user created content. There are two solutions I can see as fixing this problem: friend codes. Not a great solution, though, as that ensures that there won't be a lot of user-created content to download. I'm thinking of you, Picross DS! So a possibly better solution would be for user created content to be submitted, and not immediately available. It would be rated for content by Sony, and only then put out there. They wouldn't censor anything, but they would rate everything. Use the normal video game rating scale, and then have good parental controls in place. It's probably safe to say that if you filter out M and above rated levels, chances are you're going to have a much better high quality level ratio to choose from, so that filtering wouldn't just be for parents.

Just got into the LBP discussion and Wombat is absolutely correct. Just because LBP has a user-friendly interface, it's not really user-friendly when it comes to designing playable levels which require quite a bit of work.

btw Cheapy, 1up mentioned that you MUST play the first premade level in the game in order to unlock the Edit mode. Seems like the devs want people to understand what a finished level looks like before they can play around with the Edit mode.

And LBP will not sell systems, imo.

[quote name='RobotChickenMk1']Won't sell systems until it gets an avatar system ;)[/quote]

you mean HOME? ;)

[quote name='ShinAkumA21']LBP is going to be GOTY and then Wombat will cry more then his baby[/QUOTE]

I hope I am wrong, I am just apprehensive. Don't take my critisism of a game as a personal attack.

Madden usually has historical rosters at least in previous gen versions. They are trying to recreate a moment and if the guy that made the game saving catch isn't even on the field, what is the point? I agree with Wombat.

Wombat I strongly disagree with your comparison of Cloning Clyde and Braid. CC was much more like Lemmings. Where as Braid is like a Mario game with the time mechanic from Prince Of Persia SoT. Seriously, the cloning aspect you make mention of in the podcast happens in only one world. And it isn't even a true cloning mechanic like in CC. It's more like pre-planning moves. The two games are worlds apart in their production values too. The story in Braid is much better. The art and music are cuts above most XBLA games. And as a whole there were so many fresh ideas on the time mechanic that the game was a complete joy. If paying $5 extra dollars leads to more fresh and polished games like Braid, then I will happily pay.

The ten dollar fixed price has lead to a sea of shit with a few good XBLA games. The two games released for more money, PA Adventures and Braid, have been great fun.

CheapyD you were dead on with your review. Wombat you seem to be complaining for the sake of complaining lately.

P.S. -- You are going to end up eating your words about LBP big time. CheapyD is right again. Even if you don't like creating your own levels, there will be 10s of thousands or 100s of thousands of other people making levels. And enough of them will be good to keep the game going for years.

[quote name='Wombat']I hope I am wrong, I am just apprehensive. Don't take my critisism of a game as a personal attack.[/quote]

soooo are you gonna buy it day 1 or wait for reviews first?

[quote name='Wolfkin']actually I don't recall Cheapy saying we could use Skype.. that was actually my next question[/quote]
No, he said we could skype in at at cagcast for the name.

[quote name='LiK']you mean HOME? ;)[/quote]

But the character models in HOME are farrr to realistic :shock:... I mean... their eyes are scaled correctly and everything... LOL!

You may think you're just being critical, Wombat, but I think you were really negative this show. You don't have to just say things that might be bad about a game, you can also say things which might be good, or might surprise you. It gets a little depressing listening to you, honestly. It's like you don't want to get excited about anything, in case you might be disappointed.

bread's done
Back