CAGcast #156: Buddy, Can You Spare a Fish Sandwich?

In reguards to Cheapy's statement about the lady being black did not come off as racist to me. He inquired and asked Wombat if she was black. He did not assume she was by making a statement like "Yeah, I hate it when black people ask me for stuff in line". His statement was stereotyping, not racist. First he pisses off the homosexual community by using the word "Gay", and know he pisses off African-American and other politically correct listners by his stereotype comment. This is not a show like Oprah where the hosts are polite and tell heart warming stories. This is a show where they fillibuster with fart jokes, poop stories, and crazy hypothesis. From what I can tell in the show neither of the hosts are racist, Cheapy was just goofing off and trying to secure the Deuchbag of the Year Award in the first quarter, cant hate a guy for trying.

Ok, here's my two cents, the blood in the sand will cost u extra. First off, Reggie needs to log into Amazon. What's the first thing listed under ANY item's price, be it a video game, a DVD, a book OR a music CD? That would be the "Used from $XX.XX" price Reggie. Not to mention, anyone frequent Blockbuster and their Pre-viewed DVD sales? I certainly do. But I digress Reggie, you are right, in the middle of a recession, and speaking for the working blue-collar class, we are all entralled with paying top dollar for entertainment that will never have any trade-in value from the moment it goes in our shopping carts. I know you guys already said on the cast you think he's smoking crack for his statements, but I just had to throw a few more stones in the pot as to why he's wrong.
Next topic, Call of Duty. I agree with you that there were motivations behind Infinity Ward's dropping of the 'Call of Duty 4' moniker, however, I think you were way off with your reasons why. Call me crazy, and I have no factual basis for this, but could it be that Infinity Ward wants to distance themselves with Treyarch, and now they have a successful IP to use as a vehicle for such a purpose? Very few people seemed happy with the announcement that World at War would return to the WWII setting, and even though it is a good game, it still stands in the shadow cast by Modern Warfare. I doubt the programmers and team would ever be quoted as saying this, but I think they are enjoying the success of Modern Warfare and they see an opportunity to not have to share their franchise with another developer----a developer who has the ability to take the franchise in directions the Infinity Ward team may not like(ie WWII). Good argument by Wombat BTW with his statements about marketing stamping COD4 on the box, they'd be stupid not to do so. I'll go on record now by saying not only do I agree with that, I'm sure it will be all over the box, BUT I will call it now - Modern Warfare 2 will be a good enough game to establish and continue the Modern Warfare name without needing a COD4 stamp on the next Modern Warfare game.
Lastly, I have a question about your Netflix discussion. OK Cheapy, I see your point about Netflix drastically reducing overhead by consolidating to a streaming only service. Here's my question, what are the costs for lisencing High Def formats for streaming? I don't doubt that it would be cheaper than buying the physical media, but I'm curious what the costs associated and comparison with purchasing the rights for standard quality versus high definition content are. Surely someone has their hand on the cookie jar somewhere there, there must be money charged for licensing and costs associated somehow. What's that process and pricing like, if you have any knowledge?
That's all, I've babbled long enuff, enjoy the show guys, keep up the great work, even though I moved out of Queens, you guys are like my NYC gaming news resource.

The point is that people have every right to be offended. The fact that MANY people keyed in on the same phrase and were offended speaks volumes to validity and power of what was said no matter how subtle it came across. Its no laughing matter. And sweeping it under the rug as some suggest would not help to move forward. How can the sensibilities and opinions of listeners be "pointless" especially when its not just one of two people saying it. Open your mind. Expand your worldview to that other than your own. Cheapy just needs to speak on it, get that over with and then move forward. Its not the end of the world but it would be worse to act like nothing happened. The reality is that everyone has a moment like that at some time or another and as long as you can learn from it and grow its all good.

And I agree the microsoft deals of the week have been pointless.

Cheapy Delight has powers. before listening to this podcast i had just beaten the bourne conspiracy (fun game) i remember i picked up dark sector during an amazon sale like a year ago for $20 and just yesterday i said lets pop in some sector. now cheapy talks about it on the show perfect timing.

[quote name='Fallback']The point is that people have every right to be offended. The fact that MANY people keyed in on the same phrase and were offended speaks volumes to validity and power of what was said no matter how subtle it came across. Its no laughing matter. And sweeping it under the rug as some suggest would not help to move forward. How can the sensibilities and opinions of listeners be "pointless" especially when its not just one of two people saying it. Open your mind. Expand your worldview to that other than your own. Cheapy just needs to speak on it, get that over with and then move forward. Its not the end of the world but it would be worse to act like nothing happened. The reality is that everyone has a moment like that at some time or another and as long as you can learn from it and grow its all good.

And I agree the microsoft deals of the week have been pointless.[/quote]

How about the many people that did not mention it in the posts? Cheapy can say whatever he wants. When one has an audience they will always be criticized on what they say and others will be and could be offended. In fact, I am offended that he thinks that Saints Row 2 is such a great game, how dare he suggest such a shitty game to an audience and make them waste their money. However, that is his opinion and he is more than welcome to suggest the game. If he wants to make a bad joke that is up to him. However, to come on and accuse him of being racist is going over the top. People are retarded and when they heard Cheapy's comment they say "Cheapy is racist....blah blah blah I'm an idiot and do not know what I am really saying"

Racism -
(Noun) [rey-siz-uh
thinsp.png
m]

1. A belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

2. A policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

3. Hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Stereotype -
(Noun) [ster-e-o-type]

1. A conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image.

2. One that is regarded as embodying or conforming to a set image or type.

I've been listening to the CAGcast for almost two years, from what I have heard both hosts have married outside their races. Neither of them spread or promote hate speech towards a specific race or group. I have heard the hosts stereotype before, mainly with consumers and purchasing habits but it is not in a negative spirit. I am not best buds with either of them, but I do not like it when someone comes up and accuses them of something they are not. Was it in bad taste for Cheapy to ask that question? To me no; however, I know that others may be offended by it and that does suck. Not everyone has a thick skin and why should someone be on tip toes when he is doing a show with his friend?

Cheapy will probably apologize, I believe he did it for the gay comment. Stereotypes have been made fun of in all sorts of media. For those who criticized Cheapy for his attempt are more than likely hyporcrites and have laughed at a stereotypical joke in another form of media. Cheapy was fishing for a joke that did not go over his way. If he edited the show than he might have caught that.

I jsut purchased the Oblivion expansion pack for the Xbox 360. i have instaled the games onto my Xbox and now i feal as if i dont need the disk any more. i bought the game used so i can get all the money i paid for it back. what would you do in this instance? would you keep the disk knowing that all its going to do is collect dust but also know that you have just in case? or would you return the disk knowing that you have already installed the game and dont need the disk?

I usually turn this off when I have to deal with a customer at work but a guy walked up to me to ask a question and I just stared trying to listen to both the showand him at the same time. "Huh? Wait what? Oh, one second sorry!" Didn't work, hope he didn't think I was to rude! Thaaaaanks Wombat for making me look and feel like a jerk lol.

Yeah your search bar sucks...
I tried to find gameroomdeals nothing
so I searched for User: tman
tmans profile came up when I clicked on it it says Tman has no blogs yet.
Need to put some work into this one guys

They usually anounce if a podcast is going to postponed to a later date. Last CAGcast they said that they may not have one and it even came out on an odd day. I was not expecting the next one until early Wed or Thurs morning.

[quote name='marshallbanana6']Podcast this week? Y/N?[/quote]

Take your pick from Jewish holiday, sick kid or broken computer.

[quote name='panurge']Take your pick from Jewish holiday, sick kid or broken computer.[/quote]

Definitely broken computer. I told Wombat his MacBook hard disk was on borrowed time. They all die... without fail. Or maybe with fail?

Anyway it's not quite as bad as the 360 but MacBooks have serious hard disk issues. Not sure about the newest models yet, but everyone I know with the white/black ones has had a hard drive die (even hard drives from diff. manufacturers). The weird thing is nobody talks about it... I like Apple as much as the next guy, but sometimes it seems like they can do no wrong.

[quote name='Wombat']My computer is fine (knocks wood), I am recording tonight[/quote]
w00t w00t!!!

[quote name='Wombat']My computer is fine (knocks wood), I am recording tonight[/quote]

i predict it will be with Shippy! right???? ;)

[quote name='sikshot80190']I jsut purchased the Oblivion expansion pack for the Xbox 360. i have instaled the games onto my Xbox and now i feal as if i dont need the disk any more. i bought the game used so i can get all the money i paid for it back. what would you do in this instance? would you keep the disk knowing that all its going to do is collect dust but also know that you have just in case? or would you return the disk knowing that you have already installed the game and dont need the disk?[/quote]

You need to read up more on how it works, you need the disk in the drive to still play it even if you installed it.

Man I finally get a response back, I am not sure as to take offense to that or not? Can you clarify? Should I be taking offense to what you said Cheapy?

I wish I had someone like Wombat around to help me design pranks.

As for the live show, I suggest doing one if both of you guys are in LA. Or even better, find a place where you could do a live forum, so all of us LA CAGs could come watch.

[quote name='Davestation']How about the many people that did not mention it in the posts? Cheapy can say whatever he wants. When one has an audience they will always be criticized on what they say and others will be and could be offended. In fact, I am offended that he thinks that Saints Row 2 is such a great game, how dare he suggest such a shitty game to an audience and make them waste their money. However, that is his opinion and he is more than welcome to suggest the game. If he wants to make a bad joke that is up to him. However, to come on and accuse him of being racist is going over the top. People are retarded and when they heard Cheapy's comment they say "Cheapy is racist....blah blah blah I'm an idiot and do not know what I am really saying"

Racism -
(Noun) [rey-siz-uh
thinsp.png
m]

1. A belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

2. A policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

3. Hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Stereotype -
(Noun) [ster-e-o-type]

1. A conventional, formulaic, and oversimplified conception, opinion, or image.

2. One that is regarded as embodying or conforming to a set image or type.

I've been listening to the CAGcast for almost two years, from what I have heard both hosts have married outside their races. Neither of them spread or promote hate speech towards a specific race or group. I have heard the hosts stereotype before, mainly with consumers and purchasing habits but it is not in a negative spirit. I am not best buds with either of them, but I do not like it when someone comes up and accuses them of something they are not. Was it in bad taste for Cheapy to ask that question? To me no; however, I know that others may be offended by it and that does suck. Not everyone has a thick skin and why should someone be on tip toes when he is doing a show with his friend?

Cheapy will probably apologize, I believe he did it for the gay comment. Stereotypes have been made fun of in all sorts of media. For those who criticized Cheapy for his attempt are more than likely hyporcrites and have laughed at a stereotypical joke in another form of media. Cheapy was fishing for a joke that did not go over his way. If he edited the show than he might have caught that.[/quote]

I am just now seeing this but first off your definitions do not at all help your point. In fact you validate my point. We all know the "majority" on here are not "black" and would not catch why what he said is offensive but this is precisely why it is important that what was said is not glossed over because it is in fact offensive to this particular group. I mentioned expanding your view. Try it. This is also why I mentioned this being one to grow on. Its laughable that you would even make a saints row analogy but whatever.

Since you are so big on rdefinitions let me give you a definition:

A bigot is a person who is intolerant of or takes offense to the opinions, lifestyles or identities differing from his or her own, and bigotry is the corresponding attitude or mindset. Bigot is often used as a pejorativehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pejorative term to describe a person who is obstinately devoted to prejudices, especially when these views are either challenged, or proven to be false or not universally applicable or acceptable.

Your view was challenged and you called those who disagreed with you "retarded".

I have said before that I dont think it was said in a bad spirit, with malice or whatever. I also said I do not think that cheapy is inherently racist. I really dont think its the that big a deal though my issue is with people who act like those who were offended should not be and that they are off base for being offended. I dont even think you read what I said because I explicity stated that I DO NOT think cheapy is racist. lol

bread's done
Back