CAGcast #171: Escape from NY

Two thing about this podcast bugged me:

1. The $299 vs. $299.99

I thought this was a pretty silly thing to complain about, since it seen in all sort of products, and when you include tax you end up paying more, even though most ads don't mention how much it would cost after taxes.

2. The Shadow Complex/Orson Scott Card controversy

I never knew Orson Scott Card's stance on homosexuality until it was brought up, and even after it was brought up, I fail to see how this should affect my purchasing decisions. I do not let a person's political or religious beliefs influence my opinion on a piece of entertainment, and frankly, if we dig deep enough we'll find all sorts of dirt on a random celebrity. For example, one of my friends would refuse to listen to the band Lyrnyrd Skynyrd because of their use of the Confederate flag, which is something many consider to be offensive. However, if I listen to Lyrnyrd Skynyrd, I wouldn't do it because I may agree with them on an issue, but because I enjoy there music.

Now, tying this to CAG, CheapyD said in various podcasts that he would use marijuana, which is illegal and some listeners would probably not consider doing, but that will not turn them off from listening to the show anymore than non-drug users enjoy listening to the acid-tripping songs from the Beatles, even though they will consider drug use to be irresponsible and wrong.

[quote name='Vegan']
But in Tropic Thunder, it was proper usage... They were actually, in fact, discussing a retarded character.[/QUOTE]

Using the word "retard" is not "proper usage". It's along the same lines as "f**". It's a slur. "Billy is mentally retarded" is proper use. "Billy is a retard" is not.

[quote name='Vegan']
As for saying things like, "That's retarded," I don't see anything wrong with that. It's no different than saying, "That's dumb," or "That's stupid". Saying that something is retarded is calling something stupid.[/QUOTE]

Then just call it stupid. You don't need to go there. We are not in junior high.

[quote name='sheppyboy2000']Dear CheapyD,

Hi, remember the contest you ran two weeks ago? The 50 Cent cuss in the show feedback contest? That you mentioned directly after pointing out my comment as a Sony Fanboy thing? Yeah... about that. That was where my entry, or what you considered legitimate feedback, was coming from. Imagine my suprise, discovering what you had to do in the show feedback was taken seriously. I was neither being critical nor fanboyish, just filthy mouthed and sarcastic. Listening to the show right now and have yet to figure out who won it but just trying to point this out. How you could take ANYTHING seriously in the feedback where you openly invited filthy language is beyond me. If I was really that concerned about your "redmond masters" (seriously, THAT'S the giveaway to sarcasm), I would have stopped listening to your podcast long ago, like I did with Talking About Games Podcast (Jay managed to keep Paris in check, without Jay, it was gonna be harsh).

Of your many quarks (no podcaster is perfect), only two annoy me. The first is the fascination with fecal matter. But I can deal. The other is the point you often make about how, if PSN was as good as XBox Live, you'd gladly pay money for it. This is not a sentiment I and many others share. After all, looking at XBL price, tripling that (assuming Nintendo does the same adjustment), you're spending more than an annual DS Lite purchase in services alone. As for Live itself, I said it before, I'll say it again. Without live, you really are getting half a console with a 360. But oh well.

But all in all, sorry you missed the sarcasm in my post. I thought I was being cheeky and fun and I showed the post to a couple friends making sure it was obvious enough. We were, apparently, wrong. Also, for the record, I do not smell of poo. I do smell of Herbal Essences shampoo though, and Kilo Axe Bodyspray. I figured if I'm trying to clean up any confusion as to the intent of my post, might as well clear up confusion as to my scent as well.[/QUOTE]

Sorry about that. I've gotten comments like that before that were completely serious, which is why I was unable to detect the sarcasm. Let's hug and make up.:grouphug:

[quote name='CheapyD']Sorry about that. I've gotten comments like that before that were completely serious, which is why I was unable to detect the sarcasm. Let's hug and make up.:grouphug:[/QUOTE]

:grouphug:
Fair enough. I don't know what saddens me more. The fact that I hurt the feelings of a podcast that's been a regular since I started at my job four years ago, or the fact that people actually act like the extreme I thought I was mocking. Once again, I apologize for the mistake.

Hey, Cheapy, remember the "box story" you've been holding out on us since whichever podcast you talked about it? WELL TELL THE DAMN BOX STORY ALREADY. I'm sure it's WORTH the wait and all, but dammit you got it in my head and no matter how lame it is, I wanna hear it now.

[quote name='sheppyboy2000']:grouphug:
Fair enough. I don't know what saddens me more. The fact that I hurt the feelings of a podcast that's been a regular since I started at my job four years ago, or the fact that people actually act like the extreme I thought I was mocking. Once again, I apologize for the mistake.[/QUOTE]

No worries...I like comments like that. Gets me fired up.

listened to this during a break between classes. also the first time I used itunes (the computer was a Mac and default program).

my random feedback:

how long was the vacation? sounds like 2 weeks. Did you stay at the parents' or some Manhattan hotel?

I thought Wombat was going to get the Batman game on ps3 because of the Joker exclusive (no interest in playing the game but just wondering).

I started :lol:ing when Wombat mentioned that 12 year old he and cheapy saw at Dogmatic (btw how much did the sandwiches cost as did the pizza you ate). wtf is a kid doing going out in the city all by himself

Cheapy, I can't believe you were saying how (excellent) ticket prices for MLB games are only for the rich or corporate business types. You just spent around $10,000 for 2 tickets to sit in on on a radio show.
One gets to watch a game from excellent seats (about 3 hours) plus (assuming free) food (based on the description of the tickets and its price). So $450 per ticket for a luxury seating at a baseball game (or other sporting event) is just as good (or much better) than what you did with your money.

Also Cheapy, did your parents listen to the Howard Stern clips? Based on what you've brought up in the past, I don't think your dad would have been happy when you mentioned you earned more than your lawyer wife (did she hear that you "unfortunately got married").

I just want to add that I completely agree with your take on the 299 advertising (didn't want to seem like I was attacking you). retailers should be using the $100 less part in their ads. the extremely cheap and critical won't be thrilled with the 99 cents difference they see ring up (sans tax).

lastly, can't believe Cheapy saw an old friend and a random Cag at the Met game. I've yet to have a Wombat sighting (what part of the city do you work?)

Awesome show. I found the whole Stern story really interesting. You guys sounded great on there. Cheapy - you didn't sound nervous at all. You came off great. I amazed that you weren't a total wreck on the air since I'm sure it was overwhelming. The "Hey guys" bit was hilarious, but there was nothing like that when you were actually on the air. I'm very impressed because I'm sure I would have been a complete idiot in that situation.

The discussion about the newfound value of the PS3 was also very interesting. I hadn't really thought about that, but with blu-ray, free wi-fi, free online play, and most games being cross platform, I'd probably pick the PS3 over the 360 if I were buying my first console of this generation today.

[quote name='apathylad']Two thing about this podcast bugged me:

2. The Shadow Complex/Orson Scott Card controversy

I never knew Orson Scott Card's stance on homosexuality until it was brought up, and even after it was brought up, I fail to see how this should affect my purchasing decisions. I do not let a person's political or religious beliefs influence my opinion on a piece of entertainment, and frankly, if we dig deep enough we'll find all sorts of dirt on a random celebrity. For example, one of my friends would refuse to listen to the band Lyrnyrd Skynyrd because of their use of the Confederate flag, which is something many consider to be offensive. However, if I listen to Lyrnyrd Skynyrd, I wouldn't do it because I may agree with them on an issue, but because I enjoy there music.[/QUOTE]

Some people DO care about stuff like that, though. Just because you don't think about who you support monetarily doesn't mean other people share that stance. And hey, they're both fine philosophies.

[quote name='Hbomb5']Using the word "retard" is not "proper usage". It's along the same lines as "f**". It's a slur. "Billy is mentally retarded" is proper use. "Billy is a retard" is not.

Then just call it stupid. You don't need to go there. We are not in junior high.[/QUOTE]

I think you're just looking for something to rally behind.

i agree with your wife CheapyD fuck citi field and the Mets...... Yankees Stadium is where its at.

are you guys getting The Beatles Rock Band today?... i know i am :bouncy:

Wombat, you bastard, stop calling Cheapy old! You're making me feel ancient ;).

And guys, enjoy those special birthday/anniversary meals and whatnot before you have any more kids. I think we just had our 15th or 16th anniversary, not sure - spent it playing with kids...

Continuing on later in the CAGcast:

Cheapy - I bought second PS3 (a Slim of course). Here are the reasons:

1) I had a $75 off system coupon at Amazon from the trade-in program that was going to expire at the end of August. The Slim came out just in time. I thought about getting another DS for the household but I haven't even opened the DSi I got when it first came out. I have a DS Lite, my daughter has a DS Lite, and my boys share an original DS. A fifth one would be a bit too much. I considered a new PSP but I rarely ever play my launch PSP either (last game I played was Loco Roco 2 and before that I don't think I had turned it on in a year - not that I don't have a huge collection of games for it thanks to CAG! ;)). And of course I already have a 360 and a Wii. In the end, I just couldn't pass on the Slim for $225 despite already having a PS3!

2) OK, but why a second PS3? Well, we set our first one up in the upstairs room with the new TV (one capable of 720p and 1080p unlike our old downstairs 1080i set that pretty much isn't supported by many PS3 games). The second PS3 will be nice for watching Blu-Rays downstairs of course (and we do hope to replace that TV soon). But the bigger reason is for multiplayer. This is something people overlook when comparing the 360 vs PS3 online capabilites: multigamer households. I have 3 kids that like to play games. Even though I get my Xbox Live time cheap like most people on CAG, I still am not going to waste Xbox Live Gold on all three kids for the once or twice a month they would play online. With the PS3, however, I don't need to worry about that! Not only that, but it is easy to jump between one console and the other in the household since you can just log in to any system with your account (because, of course, since the online is free they don't need to tie you down like MS does). Yeah, sure, I know you can move your profile around on a memory card on the 360 but that would be a pain with 4 profiles (me + 3 kids) to manage. I have yet to set up the new PS3 but I'm looking forward to playing Fat Princess with them. And that brings me to:

3) Oh yeah, yet another plus: multiplayer downloadable games will be cheap for us to play (unlike on the 360) since I can simply gameshare the game to the other system! So for a multiplayer household there is the advantage of free online + free second copies of downloadable games.

4) It's new and shiny ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Hbomb5']I'm still stunned that my podcast (Cross Border Gaming) got a mention.

Not 100% sure about that apology, but it's a start. My big thing is that I work with special needs kids, so the r-word is totally not cool. Tropic Thunder was protested and boycotted for its use of "retard". It's not about a double standard. It wasn't ok for Tropic Thunder to use it, and it's not ok for anyone else to use it.

Maybe either (or both) of you guys would like to come on CBG and discuss it.[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a great podcast about video games, discussing the use of the word retard on another podcast. :roll:

This great crusade to get the word retard out of everyday use is a failure. r-word.org has a whole 48,000 pledges, there's a little over 300 million people in the US alone.

I think a lot of people like the Cagcast because Cheapy and Wombat say what they want. They're open, honest on their views, and the dialogue between the two of them sounds like it's just two friends shooting the shit. I hope the show stays that way and all you politically correct folks just hit the unsubscribe button.

[quote name='Kosh']This great crusade to get the word retard out of everyday use is a failure. r-word.org has a whole 48,000 pledges, there's a little over 300 million people in the US alone.
[/QUOTE]

The only crusade this guy is on is getting exposure for his podcast. That's why he's so loud about this.

MyBrotherBilo.png

Wombat, you said that Batman: Arkham Asylum was the best game that came out this year. Even better than Red Faction?

Also, Cheapy, the comments about you being Xbox 360-biased are all coming from PS3 fanboys, so no worries there. I don't think you're ever really biased (to an extreme, anyway. Everyone has their own preferences/opinions). And your and Wombat's "shit" is *by far* the best part of the CAGcast. I'm not really into games that much anymore, and I still enjoy listening to it.

EDIT: Oh nevermind about the PS3 fanboy thing... I missed that it was a joke, heh. But I guess what I said still applies for all the serious comments you get about that. :p

As other folks have pointed out regarding the $0.99 rant, can you guess what happens when you put "Xbox 360 299" and "wii 249" into google? The same damn thing.

Cheapy (and Wombat), can you give me some insight on the big deal about this ps3 slim business? $100 off is nice and all and you mentioned your pros and cons, Wombat, but it's STILL the PS3 with the same multiplatform games and exclusives. I'm struggling to see this as an Xbox360 owner who also just got a free ps3 from Best Buy's promotion a few months ago. Since multiplatform games are on both, I tend to stick with 360 which just leaves blu-ray movies (which are still overpriced) and exclusives (which are hit-and-miss with me).

So what has people acting like they just found a new hole to slam their dick in? Enlighten me!

[quote name='Vegan']The only crusade this guy is on is getting exposure for his podcast. That's why he's so loud about this.[/QUOTE]
Actually No, Read up. Let me ask you. If you let's say did a job u genuinely cared about and happened to be working with certain people, let's say a certain ethnic group and you cared about these ppl you are working with, helping and perhaps even educating. This job would then give you some sort of satisfaction in life, which I assume u have no idea what that is. Now given you were (hypothetically) in such a position as I listed above, some ppl start calling them ppl u enjoy working with an ethic slur (slurs are all the same, ethnic or not) would u sit there and just say "meh" while they go spewing it around and acting like it doesn't hurt anyone? No, u would do something about it. That's What Hbomb is doing and so would you if were involved with something amongst the same lines.

Also, let's say you ever have kids and it turns out having down syndrome, autism or one of multiple mental disabilities out there, are you still going to think someone calling your Kid retarded is still funny/acceptable? Put yourself in the fucking shoes of ppl who have to deal with that every day without going postal. Twelve years ago you could still say F*g and snicker it off and times have changed. So will these.

Originally Posted by Kosh
This great crusade to get the word retard out of everyday use is a failure. r-word.org has a whole 48,000 pledges, there's a little over 300 million people in the US alone.
Kinda Like Vegetarians/PETA/Vegans/gun control/world peace/getting rid of racism in the USA? There is a start to everything and if PETA can throw bags of flour on $10,000 fur coats (being an illegal act of vandalism), place ads that make try people guilty for eating meat that clearly do not work doesn't mean other causes like the r-word.org can do things that are more civil and it's a start. Read what I wrote to Vegan and out yourself into the shoes of a parent who has a child with special needs and see how they feel, if you can't without feeling some empathy I will assume that you are rather too naive or daft to know what human emotion is other than anger and hate.

Also Wombat, thanks for responding and clearing that up. I'll take u out for some German Food in the Spring when I take a trip to NYC ;-)

Man Cheapy and Wombat spend 20 minutes doing a feature comparison for the 360/PS3 and conclude the PS3 slim is hands down the better value.

And the comments are still filled with "Cheapy you are teh bias". Unbelievable.

[quote name='E*Master']Actually No, Read up. Let me ask you. If you let's say did a job u genuinely cared about and happened to be working with certain people, let's say a certain ethnic group and you cared about these ppl you are working with, helping and perhaps even educating. This job would then give you some sort of satisfaction in life, which I assume u have no idea what that is. Now given you were (hypothetically) in such a position as I listed above, some ppl start calling them ppl u enjoy working with an ethic slur (slurs are all the same, ethnic or not) would u sit there and just say "meh" while they go spewing it around and acting like it doesn't hurt anyone? No, u would do something about it. That's What Hbomb is doing and so would you if were involved with something amongst the same lines.

Also, let's say you ever have kids and it turns out having down syndrome, autism or one of multiple mental disabilities out there, are you still going to think someone calling your Kid retarded is still funny/acceptable? Put yourself in the fucking shoes of ppl who have to deal with that every day without going postal. Twelve years ago you could still say F*g and snicker it off and times have changed. So will these. [/QUOTE]

Yes, those things would be wrong, but nice of you to take it totally out of context. No one on the Cagcast has done that, so that's not the topic of discussion. We're talking about using the word in everyday language to describe something as silly or stupid. You're talking noun, we're talking adjective. Try again, because by my math, and just in case you're too retarded to use a calculator, there's still only 0.016% of people who give a shit.

[quote name='Kosh']Yes, those things would be wrong, but nice of you to take it totally out of context. No one on the Cagcast has done that, so that's not the topic of discussion. We're talking about using the word in everyday language to describe something as silly or stupid. You're talking noun, we're talking adjective. Try again, because by my math, and just in case you're too retarded to use a calculator, there's still only 0.00016% of people who give a shit.[/QUOTE]

No, it is the word that is being taken out of context. Is "gay" ok to use to call somehing silly or stupid? No. "Retarded" should be the same thing. I assume we're all grownups here, so quit talking like you're in junior high. It doesn't sound cool. It makes you sound ignorant and stupid.

If you guys dont like the stuff Cheapy and Wombat talk about before going to the PS3 or 360 section here is an idea stop being lazy and search up the news yourself. It isnt that hard to find the headlines for any of the consoles. If it was for Cheapy and Wombat talking about their shit, then I never would of known that Wombat liked comics and is waiting for MUA2. Because of their shit I checked out the previews of MUA2 and I am going to get it, because of wombat's shit.

I agree with the people the talk about the difference in the $1 for the slim was a bit much. With people saying that the slim is going to be over 300 anyway, I got my ps3 60 gb the first week it came out for $350, also got 2 games, and extra ps3 controller, and a 360 controller for about $150 so total wise with everything it was about 500.

[quote name='E*Master']
Kinda Like Vegetarians/PETA/Vegans/gun control/world peace/getting rid of racism in the USA? There is a start to everything and if PETA can throw bags of flour on $10,000 fur coats (being an illegal act of vandalism), place ads that make try people guilty for eating meat that clearly do not work doesn't mean other causes like the r-word.org can do things that are more civil and it's a start.[/QUOTE]

Are you lumping me in with THOSE retards?

[quote name='Hbomb5']No, it is the word that is being taken out of context. Is "gay" ok to use to call somehing silly or stupid? No. "Retarded" should be the same thing.[/QUOTE]

"Gay" isn't okay because it doesn't make sense. It's quite clearly using "gay" in a negative way. Saying that something is "retarded" when you do, in fact, mean to call it stupid is perfectly correct usage. It's not negative, it's accurate.

[quote name='Hbomb5']It makes you sound ignorant and stupid.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, calling me "stupid" is exactly the same as calling me "retarded". Who is the hypocrite?

I agree with you Cheapy that the way companies state $299 is annoying since it isn't accurate and it makes them look sneaky. Obviously, companies feel the extra $0.99 is important for maximizing revenue but they have no problem "putting down" their customers by not stating the accurate price. Companies need to learn that the extra $0.99 is not going to change my purchasing decision in this case, so don't try to insult my intelligence by hiding it. They either need to make the console $299.00 or advertise as under $300.

Cheapie you ok? I had to ask. I just listened to the $299/$299.99 segment and I wanted to pull my hair out. But then I thought that was selfish. Maybe you have some sort of illness or maybe an allergy to shellfish or maybe the jetlag was still with you or maybe you are still disoriented from visiting the Howard Stern Show. Hopefully it's not serious whatever you have.

Get well.

P.S.

Maybe your next topic should be gas prices at the pump. $2.69. What's with that? It's really $2.69 & 99/100. What an insult. What is the deal?

Cheapy, I love how you say, "the last guitar hero had 85 songs" like thats a good thing. Trust me most of them were crap a few were even in spanish. There were times when I was forced to play stupid songs in that game that I took a second and asked myself why I was playing a game where I wasn't having fun. The point is I would much rather play 43 Beatles songs that are all going to be good rather than trudge through a bunch of crap that are just there so the company can try to please everyone. I think this sums it up nicely:
http://kotaku.com/5353779/guitar-hero-the-beatles-clip
Great show! Keep up the good job and thanks for all you do!

Cheapy,

You went on a rant about the 299 vs 299.99 price about the PS3 but at least .99 is a real money amount that you can pay.

Where is the anger over US gas stations? They might list the price as 2.49 but if you look at the sign you'll see that it's 2.49 9/10. 9/10? Nine tents of a cent isn't even a real monetary amount! They use it so they can put 2.49 on the sign instead of 2.50. Now that's a real complaint over the 299 of the ps3, at least you could write a check for it. With a gas station it would never be possible to pay what they are actually advertising.

[quote name='CheapyD']What about $300?[/QUOTE]

But 2 is a lower number than 3. The cheaper the number they can make it, the more units they will push (even if it's in the single digits, they'll push more units).

Also, saying "PS3: Now $299" is much better than saying "Xbox 360 Elite: Now $100 off".

Awful podcast this week. Already ... 20 mins in... im bored out of my mind listening to your crap about howard stern or whatever it is. I don't give a damn, it doesn't interest me in the slightest, ive never heard of this guy. I skipped to the end to hear some shitty interview, im guessing its howard stern.. obviously.. but seriously.. 20 mins of crap ?.. remember you have international listeners who dont give a crap. I hope the rest of the show can make up for this utter rubbish.

[quote name='Cubejam']Awful podcast this week. Already ... 20 mins in... im bored out of my mind listening to your crap about howard stern or whatever it is. I don't give a damn, it doesn't interest me in the slightest, ive never heard of this guy. I skipped to the end to hear some shitty interview, im guessing its howard stern.. obviously.. but seriously.. 20 mins of crap ?.. remember you have international listeners who dont give a crap. I hope the rest of the show can make up for this utter rubbish.[/QUOTE]

It always upsets me when international listeners get so irrationally upset about things like this. Guess what? Cheapy flew halfway across the world to visit home and got to be on one of his favorite radio shows. Of course he's going to talk about it on the cagcast. If you didn't want to hear it, tune out this week and come back next week. Seriously - complaining about this just makes you look like an ass.

To Cheapy and Wombat - good show, the NY stories were pretty good. I haven't been listening for a while (not enough time, can't listen on the job, etc.), but glad to see the show is still going strong!

I'm not a Howard Stern fan, but it boggles my mind that there are people who have never even heard of him...

And frankly, I listen to the Cagcast mostly for stories like this. It's not exactly the best (or most accurate) source of video game news.

[quote name='Vegan']I'm not a Howard Stern fan, but it boggles my mind that there are people who have never even heard of him...

And frankly, I listen to the Cagcast mostly for stories like this. It's not exactly the best (or most accurate) source of video game news.[/QUOTE]

I've got to say the same, I listen to the Cagcast because it's so free form and you never know what you are going to get. Other video game podcasts take themselves way too seriously and follow such a strict schedule that nothing ever happens. The Cagcast is like a soap opera for geeks with the on going story of their lives playing a large role in the overall plot of each episode. It's relaxed and fun to listen to. If people want "serious" video game podcasts go listen to Joystiq or something else, the Cagcast is for people who want an amusing couple of hours each week that also happens to talk about video games.

Or at least thats what I think about the whole matter.

Funny I just heard them finish the Batman Talk but they didn't talk about the Joker DLC, did anyone listen to the rest of the podcast? Do they talk about it and what section do they? Thanks

I'm sure nobody cares, but just some clarification:

Chair Entertainment owns the IP in the Shadow Complex game and the Empire books. It's their creation, they simply got Card to write a book based on their universe. Honestly, knowing the connection, I'm not sure what compensation Card would be getting from this game since technically he didn't have any direct connection to it. Maybe because he's been used to promote the game, he's getting some kick backs...

Anyway, great show.

Listening to the 'sex box' bit, I couldn't help but be reminded of the cesspool of Xbox Live. UNO. UNO supports the vision cam feature. So that game is the place to go if you want to see that type of stuff. Full of teenage girls who want to be seen and non-gamers who bought the game solely for its camera support. It's at the point where you will be kicked from the game straight off the bat if you do not have a camera. This may be old news to some but I have only recently downloaded the game and haven't heard anyone else mention it.

Hey Cheapy and Wombat.

With the recent release of The Beatles: RockBand and knowing how much you've both been looking forward to it, as well as the upcoming downloadable content, I wanted to get your thoughts on some things.

I've heard people scoff at the fact that the base game only contains 45 songs. In my mind this is outweighed by the desire to create a cohesive experience across the bands career as well as the increased artistic load required to create all the environments and Dreamscapes. It has also been stated that the DLC albums for this game will bring new Dreamscapes with the songs. It seems to me that including all the additional art assets for the Dreamscapes for these songs would create massive downloads. Knowing your great distaste for paid DLC that unlocks items already on the disc how would you feel if you ended up finding out that the Dreamscapes for the DLC albums were already contained on the disc? Would the fact that the actual songs were not on the disc allow you to accept it? Or would this just make you upset knowing that a lot of the work for these songs was not only finished but already on the disc? Would it be justified knowing that it saves the consumer excess download time as well as what may be precious hard drive space?

This is obviously a hypothetical that blurs the lines of the DLC issue and I'm interested to know what your reaction to something like this would be.

If you want to be anal about $299.99 instead of $299 than you need to to make the accurate statement that it is .99 cents more and not a $1.00 more. Also, Sony is behind the $299 campaign, here is their commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL1xTcQwu-8

The $299 is more likely the MSRP and if a retailer decides to sell it for more or less that is their decision. Usually reatilers sell MSRP items for less and not more, but if that is Sony's MSRP and the retailers charge .99 cents more than that is not necesarily Sony's fault.

When it comes to the internet, I get a lot of slack for liking anything that's considered popular (there are people who send me hate threats for liking The Simpsons). So it was with great joy that I find your podcast to discover you guys (and other members on this board) like Howard Stern. I haven't followed Howard since he jumped to Sirius so it was a pleasure to listen to Howard again, along with Cheapy and Wombat's experience on the show. Thank you, guys.

I'm also glad I wasn't the only one who was annoyed by the rant on $299.99. As Davestation mentioned, it's MSRP - emphasis on "suggested" so .99 cents doesn't bother me, neither does the omission of "plus tax". The "it does everything" tagline seems much more controversial, especially with the lack of PS2 BC.

Anyway, this was the second podcast I've heard from CAG and I look forward to hearing the next episode.

Yep, did some research. PS3 MSRP is officially $299.00. Whether stores sell at that price or not is their own decision. So SONY lowered the price to $299.00. Stores now decided what price they want.

Now, moving onto the "retarded" debate, fine. I'll step up here and say what this movement is doing is yet another reason why we have an entire nation of pussies agape and aghast at the drop of a hat. Why? Simple really.

re⋅tard  /rɪˈtɑrd, for 1–3, 5; ˈri
thinsp.png
tɑrd for 4/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ri-tahrd, for 1–3, 5; ree-tahrd for 4] Show IPA
–verb (used with object) 1.to make slow; delay the development or progress of (an action, process, etc.); hinder or impede.
–verb (used without object) 2.to be delayed.
–noun 3.a slowing down, diminution, or hindrance, as in a machine.4.Slang: Disparaging. a.a mentally retarded person.b.a person who is stupid, obtuse, or ineffective in some way: a hopeless social retard. 5.Automotive, Machinery. an adjustment made in the setting of the distributor of an internal-combustion engine so that the spark for ignition in each cylinder is generated later in the cycle.

Now, what the movement is saying is that we need to pull this entirely out of our language lexicon in order to "protect" a small percentage of people. We an do this again the next time a word is used to describe another group that feels they are being unjustly attacked. I could start the trend right now that people with handlebar mustaches be called Catfish. If this catches on, 20 years from now, one would not be able to order Catfish at a Red Lobster because it would be insensitive to people with handlebar mustaches. An example? The word $$$$er. Once upon a time, it also meant someone who remained willfully ignorant. Nowadays that decription has been completely removed from the Lexicon. And it's sad because we are systematically destroying our language and heritage. I read a book from 188X's that used the N word forwards a white male burden on the family. Makes no sense in todays world, but once upon a time, it meant that. That which has been been wiped from our language because the times it was used correctly, it was taken incorrectly.

On the flip side, rather than fighting to censor the entire world for a false hope of creating some sort of peace, you could instead focus on building the victims up. Give them self esteem, tell them the words are just that, powerless air. I spent most of my childhood being picked on and it all worked, until someone taught me none of it mattered. Transfer that to them. Help them to develop thick skin. That way, when something legitimate comes along (news flash, a couple 8 year olds pointing and calling someone retard isn't important), they'll be much stronger and able to face it.

Instead the current solution is to limit speech, make everything softer, and now we DO have a generation of pussies. People who will lash out with all the fury of ten Glenn becks after a Klan Meeting yet are ready to slit their wrist at the drop of a "$$$$$$" on Xbox Live. People who, thanks to not learning how to DEAL with this kind of stuff as children thanks to all the cottling, are growing up entirely socially inept. Yes, kids say cruel things as do people. We just had a congressman raise hundreds of thousands of dollars by calling the President a Liar in the middle of a speech. Is Obama starting L-Word.org? No. Grow the hell up. Teach them to be tougher, teach them to believe in themselves, and no amount of words will have power over them. And unless we, as a culture, start pushing this agenda once more, then we've failed the very people we tried to protect.

I love the use of excellent Norwegian classical music at the start of this weeks CAGCast:) "Hall of the Mountain King" is one of Griegs biggest and most famous classical piece! Just tell me if you want me to come up with more fun scandinavian music for the start of you'r show! I could get you a lot of interresting music:) It could be your new thing!

Great show, fellas! Glad you had so much fun on the Stern show, and it was cool to hear that the staff was so nice to you guys.

My only complaint was this: Cheapy, we get it that you're not much of a Sony fan. There's nothing wrong with that, but you've been stretching the bounds of credibility lately. Let's be honest: the $299 complaint you had was absolutely ridiculous. You're going to attack a company for leaving off 99 cents? Okay...so why didn't you attack Microsoft for it last year, when they did the exact same thing when they dropped the Arcade price? Microsoft even stated it as $199, without those 99 cents, in a press release:

The Moment Is Now: At $199, Xbox 360 Invites Everyone to Play
...all from one device, starting at $199.
"We are thrilled to be the first next-generation console on the market to reach $199, a price that invites everyone to enjoy Xbox 360," said Don Mattrick, senior vice president of the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft.
At $199, Xbox 360 is the most affordable next-generation console on the market, offering something for everyone with the most dynamic, interactive entertainment experiences available.

The "proper" price point of $199.99 is mentioned once, but the entire point of the press release (including the title) was to push $199. Your thoughts?

Also, when another user poked fun at you for having Microsoft guests on the show as your way of "apologizing" for picking on the 360 beforehand, you immediately dismissed his comments and bashed him as a "Sony fanboy." Nothing in his original message mentioned Sony at all, so why jump to conclusions and immediately bash him, Sony, and other fans by extension?

Regardless, keep up the good work, and keep on giving us an awesome show week after week! Thanks!

Cheapy, next time you ever get the urge to visit Playstation Home, don't go to the fucking MALL. Visit the EA space and play some poker or the DJ challenge. Go to the Resistance room and play the Turret style FPS mini-game, go to Buzz space and play a trivia game. Contrary to popular belief there are things to actually do.

Cheapy,

You mentioned the CAG iPhone app, any chance of a CAG Android app? Many of us can't get iPhones without breaking contracts and switching providers. With Android on the HTC Hero http://www.htc.com/www/product/hero/overview.html coming to Sprint it would great to have CAG included in the Android App Store which is available to anyone with a android phone regardless of the service provider. This is a large base of potential users, might be a good way to draw more traffic to the site... (twisted your arm yet??)

I'm sure Super Programmer Jon is super busy super programming, I just hope you'll consider adding it to his honey-do list.

bread's done
Back