CAGcast #185: Less Yakity Yakity, More Shooty Shooty

Cheapy! You were dead-on with your Avatar commentary. I keep on seeing all the vivid colors in the commercials for the movie, and yet they really were dull in the 3-D version that I saw, Like you, I saw it in a very modern, up-to-date theater that has the best quality picture around, but the colors in the 3-D version of Avatar just seemed muted to me.

Good show guys.

I'm just going to come out and say it, even though I enjoy him on the CAGCast. But Shipwreck is like the Cousin Oliver of the CAGCast. :D

CheapyD, I think it's definitely your theater ... I've seen 3D movies in some theaters in my state and they also have the darker glasses. The IMAX 3D theater that I saw Avatar in though had crystal clear plastic glasses and they didn't distort the color in the slightest. Glad you liked it though and it's good to hear that it's popular in Japan =) I think it's going to hit 2 Billion dollars by the end of its run. Sure seems like it will anyhow.

Great show, I especially loved all the Avatar boob talk. Glad to know I wasn't the only one that focused a little too much on that!

[quote name='donssword']Great show as usual. A couple of things bugged me though:

2) English Fatal Frame for the Wii does not require a hack, a jailbreak, harddrive, whatever--its a patch you put on an SD card, and it modifies the game, like any game that allows you to play your own music with it. Its not a hack, and it uses any old SD card that you can use with a Wii for your gamesaves and does not require any Wii modification.

[/QUOTE]

Question about this, while the patch itself doesn't require a mod of any kind... how do I boot the Japanese game? Say for Avg Joe with a US Wii console, he can't just buy Zero from playasia, download the patch and play can he?

I haven't looked into Wii mods/boot disks or anything of the sort yet, but this game (w/patch) has me interested. Anyone wanna shoot me a PM on what I would need? I got a import store down the street I could grab the game from.

ALSO, how is the [DEAD] TRU deal with Bayonetta, Darksiders etc a B1G1???
I mean if you bought 2 games, and got a $60 GC isn't that closer to a B2G1? You spent over $120 there soo...

Army of Two and Kane and Lynch aren't the same game? I guess I learn something new every day.

I don't want to give the comments thread too much credit, but Shipwreck has become an indispensible part of the show. I am really enjoying the 3 way. Best to keep it to 3. I strongly dislike other game podcasts in part because there are too many guys and I can't keep track of their personalities. At least you 3 have distinctly different voices.

The Cagcast is getting funnier. Keep up the good work.

The wrong direction would be more live shows. It's not the concept of 'live' that is the issue. It's that you mostly have a bunch of horrific 14 year old callers, the only demographic available to sit on skype or whatever and wait for you. If you can't tear them to shreds comically, they are an absolute bore. The special guest callers are fun. I listen to the CAGcast for the banter, not the callers.

I'm amazed the show isn't more popular. I think it's only getting better.

A Wombat complaint. Wombat has a lot of good stories and is getting funnier. But I would still request some filters. Pick what will be interesting to tell us about, don't just tell us about anything. I think with Ship on the 'cast, you have less time and you are forced to choose the better stuff to tell us about. But with Shitwreck chasing his balls down the hall, there is more time to ramble. I also think Wombat should do sound effects during the show. Even if it's just his Mario keychain. Better yet, get 10 video game sample sounds to play and dazzle us.

Ok, a serious type question. Do you guys ever feel stressed to play games and to play new games? I feel a bit stressed having too many modern games to play and not enough time to play them. What was the last game(s) you had but didn't have the chance to play for more than a month after you bought it? Or a game you bought and then got rid of before you had the chance to play it?

And one last thing. I bought my first Malt-O-Meal cereal at Big Lots yesterday because of you guys. It's pretty good stuff.

Make it two last things. Playstation Farce, as in may the farce be with you. Or the Playstation Won't. As in won't be as successful as the Wii. Or the Playstation buttplugs. Or the Playstation Ass Cream Cones, or shitcones for short.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a wide variety of PSP pricing depending on what the game is and where it's coming out, though I think the amount of $40 games needs to drastically drop to just the AAA IP's at most. The shitty market for PSP games should've made it obvious that continuing to ask for $40 is just asking for bad sales even if piracy wasn't a factor.

$20 games do come out on occasion (Patapon 2, Loco Roco 2), but it tends to be some of the niche games like that while others tend to be $40 because their publishers are complete idiots. The stuff on PSN tends to be $20 or less with Minis at $9.99 or less and the normal PSN games from $5 to $20, so there are quite a few cheap games on there. You could make the argument that you were talking about retail PSP games, but then that clashes with the all-digital marketplace that is the App Store that doesn't have a retail presence.

With the App Store being so competitive, it's brought the barrier for pricing there to compete way lower than it is on the DS or PSP. I don't know if Chinatown Wars features special touch controls or if it uses on-screen buttons that usually play like shit, but that leads me to believe that PSP and DS owners of the game can be happy that they get a version that they can rely on to be playable.

Good show.

The Army of 2 story was the best. That franchise blows, Wombat needs to chill. It's like worrying about the way the story unfolds in 50 cent Blood in the Sand. The 1st game was so mediocre it soured me on any future iterations, plus the characters and story fockin sucked. Can you pick up enemy guns in the sequel?

Good show guys. As for Cheapy, you probably ate something during the day (during the last 6-8 hours) that made you puke. Gotta agree with Wombat about those 3D TVs. Those 3D glasses are a pain.

I was surprised about fans translating Fatal Frame for the Wii. It reminds me of the fan-translated version of Mother 3 on the GBA. Sure, it may not be legal, but I admire their commitment.

I've noticed lately that my party on X-Box Live keeps getting disconnected and sometimes the party re-connects automatically and other times we have to send out invites to each other. It is becoming more and more common it seems. Also, is it just me or did Cheapy call Wombat Jason when he was talking about shitbox being on every shelf like wii budget games?

Hey Cheapy, regarding GTA on the iphone...

While yes, its pretty much the same game as the DS and PSP versions, you have to keep in mind that they don't have any extra costs for producing an actual physical media. Not to mention cases, manuals, and all the little extras it costs into making a physical UMD or DS flash card and shipping them out. Aside from uploading the game to the server there isn't much they have to do aside from sit back and watch the money roll in.

However, I'm not completely crapping all over your theory, as I'm sure the digital download for the new PSP Go is probably more than $10, in which case, you're 100% correct, that's bullshit!

BTW, I like when Shipwreck is on the show, but every now and then its good to have just you and Wombat doing the podcast just like old times. It's like watching old episodes of Batman and Robin before they brought in Batgirl. (Yes Shipwreck, you're BATGIRL!)

[quote name='Lord Jezo']Why did Wombat refer to a black man in China as African American?[/QUOTE]

True especially considering that most blacks are African and NOT of American descent.

many other games have an unofficial fan translations. Many DS games come to mind such as the Shounen Jump mashup series. also many j-rpgs for the snes and psx had translations before the games were localized, Tales of Phantasia for example.

however, most of these translations are only accesible by accessing backup versions of games (i.e. roms) so the leagality is often up in the air.

Great show, even without Shipwreck.

The reason the Green Goblin in the first Spider-Man movie was lame is that he had no cape. With the exception of Superman, a cape is always menacing.

Needs moar Shipwreck.

CAG Classic style was still good, but it made me realize how much Shipwreck really adds to this show now.

Also, I wonder how long until Nintendo cockblocks the Fatal Frame 4 translation by throwing down a patch that blocks that sort of thing.

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia'] (Yes Shipwreck, you're BATGIRL!)[/QUOTE]

Well, they are both hot redheads...

bread's done
Back