CAGcast #191: Motion Fighters

lightning rod logic! easier said than done but you could set up a grounded antenna system to receive those radio transmissions and direct them into the ground. an antenna will be more sensitive and absorb that interference more strongly than the little metal plugs on the ends of your audio cords (which can act as antennas unfortunately) so that would lessen interference :whistle2:k

Loved getting a shout-out. I did find it entertaining that Wombat was refusing to join in on the DRM conversation after all the negative comments he got about it. I also agree with having a general irritation/negativity about everyone's drive to motion controls. I think all this is going to do, in general, is increase the amount of shovelware on every platform.

all of the game titles listed for the MOVE were working titles and sony couldn't call it the ARC because microsoft owns the trademark for that name

ps good show

I enjoy the show.... but unfortunately I really don't like the personal life chit-chat at the beginning. Find myself doing a lot of skipping around from week to week.

This show had plenty of funny bits, but the Playstation Move discussion made me burst out laughing at work.

Also, Shipwreck and his Dead or Alive discussion was pretty great as well.

EDIT: HOLY CHRIST, Cheapy wasn't kidding! That Tim Rogers article about Japan is LOOOOONNNNG. I bookmarked it for later, but GODDAMN!

Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoy the show guys! Final Fantasy...eh...don't care too much about it and never really got into the franchise. I'm currently playing a lot of ME2 which has sucked hours of my life away. I'll be doing my second playthrough this weekend and doubt I'll be bored with it. Cheers! :D

look here wombat instead of complaining about the sony butt ball needing batteries and the wii eating up batteries why not just buy some rechargable batteries with a recharger. problem solved.

shipwreck awesome gow3 review and i appreciate your not including any spoilers. heres to hoping for more ps3 game reviews from you in the future.

cheapy cool bathtub?

Show is always great as usual.

Blur was pretty fun, and glad you guys spoke about it. I am just not sure what to get: Blur or Splitt Second?

Shipwreck = Gaming God (Thanks for being on the show!)
Cheapy D = Bla Bla my fancy rich apartment and more bla bla ...I have money.. bla bla
Wombat = Scary cave person that could use his man nubs instead of hands and thumbs on a controller

Great show, I would ask Cheapy's suggestion on learning Japanese other than moving to Japan. I've been trying to learn it by watching subtitled movies and games for a while but without much success. Thanks in advance!

This is a good show guys. A couple things...

1. It was mention how since the first half of 2010 is jam packed with great games that there isn't alot to look forward to in the holiday season. i have two points against that. First, there are alot of steller games scheduled to come out after Metroid: Other M (June 25th, the last big release of 1st Half 2010). With The Last Guardian, Epic Mickey, Zelda Wii, Fable 3, Gears of War 3 (possibly), Gran Turismo 5, Fallout:New Vegas, Golden Sun DS, Dragon Quest IX, Halo: Reach, and Starcraft are all games that will probably be hitting shelves before the holiday season. So there are plenty of games on the horizon. Second, with all of these great games, there is no way that any human being with a job and/or life will be able to play all of these games that will be coming out very soon. So expect plenty of these games to be big holiday gifts as well.

2. Yes I was laughing histarically at the talk about the Playstation bowl movement, but I am going to withhold judgement on it until I have had a chance to play it myself. As long as regular games that don't rely on motion control solely with gameplay are still being produced, I don't mind Sony getting into the motion control buisness. It is an audience that I believe Sony can profit from in the end. Will I buy a bundle for $100, more than likely no. But if this does get good reviews in the end and finds favor with the public, I can see this being under alot of Christmas trees come December.

I might be guilty of listening to the podcast while distracted by games >.>
On the plus side I'll pop back and listen to things again that I wasn't sure if I heard correctly. Only thing I hate is when I'm listening and I close my browser out on instinct because I'm on another tab.

On the subject of cloud gaming ..... meh ..... if the games were included for the subscription cost then it would be awesome. They would be making money hand over fist on volume alone. Enough I think to pay the IP holders for their games (probably on a per play or % of total games played basis) and still have enough left over to make a killing.

I don't think they will ever be able to sell me on the idea that I should pay them for the right to pay them to play a game that once purchased I lose access to when I stop paying the subscription.

Also like Cheapy said about the cabinets, if you stretch the money they cost out over a period of time that they weren't that expensive. The same is true for consoles and to a lesser extent computers. If you stretch the initial cost of the console out over its projected life cycle it comes out to be on average less than their monthly fee over the same time period and you get to keep the games you buy. Over 5 years a $600 PS3 comes out to about $10 a month, while 5 years of onlive is ~$900.

Could be wrong but I think they are shooting for ~10 year cycles, bringing it to ~$5/mo Vs ~$1,800

I did enjoy Wombat's outburst at Playstation Bowel Movement. Batteries aren't cheap, they should just bundle Playstation BM w/ some rechargeables or have it recharge like the dualshock. Rechargeable batteries or not...I personally couldn't be less excited about a new gaming device.

edit - just read on engadget "The controller is significantly lighter than a Wiimote, which seems like it'll really help fight fatigue, and we're guessing that's mostly to do with the fact that instead of AA batteries the Move controller rocks a rechargeable battery. "

either way I am not excited about this project shitbox or playstation BM.

also
+1 to listening to half listening to the podcast while doing other things.

NICE $60 GIft Card. Your podcast is awesome. Boat Crash has improved it so much, so much better than that Ship wreck loser you had on a few times before.

Breaking news, game reviews, and anus views. Another good podcast. Oh, right. I need to come up with some constructive criticism... Um, be... better?

You raise interesting points about Sega and the flood of games in general coming out now. I have a massive backlog of games I haven't even installed yet but I still don't own all the games I wanted to own that have come out recently. Penny Arcade's Wednesday comic makes a good point though, maybe save some games for summer when usually nothing comes out.

Regarding FFXIII, the sentiment seems to be don't judge the book by the cover. The appearance is a fair bit different than past FFs, but they've done a fair bit of tuning on the game mechanics to keep things interesting. The linear comment might be justified, but linear doesn't have to mean bad. Definitely rent it at some point at the very least.

Homer Simpson had it right, the Japanese are way ahead of us. Bathtubs that self refill???

Hey guys, great show.

In regards to Final Fantasy XIII, while I haven't purchased it, a good amount of people on my friend list on 360 have. The Japanese RPG is definitely an acquired taste, so I could see why if wasn't discussed much on the show.
As for the Playstation Motion thing, I still wonder if the audience is there, because Sony would need to bring in newcomers if they want to draw attention away from the Wii. I have a feeling it will go the same route as the Eyetoy did on PS2.

I loved the Mass Effect 2 discussion, but I want to see a God of War 3 discussion before a Bioshock 2 discussion. I don't think I am in the minority when I say that I still haven't gotten a chance to play it. Mass Effect 2 came out and I think most chose to play that instead of playing Bioshock 2. After knocking out some backlog, God of War 3 is just around the corner and will absolutely be putting Bioshock 2 on the back burner again.

It's not that I think Bioshock 2 is bad, but it is clearly just a cash in. Bioshock is one of the best games on this generation and it didn't need a sequel. That being said, I still want to play it, it just isn't a priority play like the other games out now.

Pretty good show this week (even though you glossed over my question). I like the name BM for the Move. I'm behind you guys 100% on being annoyed and disappointed by these silly motion control projects by Microsoft and Sony.

I tried out the OnLive beta and it seemed a little laggy to me. Also there's a fair amount of compression artifacting. Nothing blocky but it makes everything look a bit "dirty." You'd have to be crazy to buy them a copy of a game and then pay them $15/month to play it.

CheapyD, I read on the internets that you can buy metallic paint/wallpaper to shield a room. Maybe thats the route you should take just for the possible health implications of being irradiated so thoroughly.

You dipsticks, the PROPER name for the "PlayStation Move" is Sony SexAXIS. The offhand controller with the analog stick is called the Bullet.

Great show dudes. Especially renaming the "Move" the Bowel movement.

As far as the podcast goes, is there any chance of getting some sort of volume control for the show added to the current play, pause and stop buttons? I listen to it streaming from the website because I prefer not to download podcasts.

Thanks!

Loved the show but I was kind of surprised that Boatcrash doesn't care for FFXIII. How can you like JRPGs and not like FF? That's like saying you like puzzle games but you hate Tetris or you like FPS games but you hate Doom.

I must be one of the very few people who actually enjoy hearing you guys talk about your everyday lives. It never lasts long and it also helps make you guys more human. That's the reason I listen to this show over the millions of other video gaming podcasts, I like the personalities on the show.

Speakin' of that, Boat Crash is a great addition to the show, gives a better dynamic and having a third opinion helps a lot, especially when it's for obscure games and stuff that old Crash knows about.

Keep up the good work.

I love Playstation but I have to agree with Cheapy again (second week in a row) about Playstation Move. This doesn't get me excited at all. This is just high res nintendo shovelware. But it on the bright side it will probably use less CPU power then Natal.

Good show as usual, love having Ship on the show.

Too much Wombat bashing lately. Keep up the good job Wombat. Remember the miserable few are more vocal than the happy masses.

I just got an iPod Touch so I would like to hear more App reviews every now and then. Doesn't have to be every show, every few shows would be fine. You used to do it more but not so much.

Someone said that don't like the chit chat but to me that's the best part. More chitty chatty less shitty shitty. Also, I said it before, add Ship to the CAGCast artwork.

Constructive criticisms:

Wombat: Way to stay above the fray and not take Cheapy's bait about DRM. You've said your piece (and I agree). The anti-DRM guys aren't going to change their mind.

And keep spending Cheapy's money!

Cheapy: Keep letting Wombat spend your money on the CAG community.

BoatCrash: Time to lobby for a spot in the logo. Maybe Mrs. Ship can make an appearance when there is a game she is really into? I miss the banter between you two.

Ship you need to give Final Fantasy XIII a try because it is the most non-Final Fantasy game of the series. The battle system is fun, addicting but most of all it is fast but yet strategic. It does have a cast of your normal Final Fantasy-esque characters but everything is so streamlined. They also did this thing with the cut scenes that focus on the visual part of the story and then it has very well written details in the menus of what went on during the cut scenes and the surroundings.

Thanks, keep up the good show.

I just got Mass Effect 2 through trading through your website (Smooth!)

So maybe in two weeks i can finally finish last weeks CAGcast....

PLEASE DON'T GO ALL SPOILER IN 2 WEEKS FROM NOW ON MASS EFFECT 2! (Some podcasts do that weeks later).

Great show guys. Long time listener, first time call....um, poster. I always enjoy finding out how the show is titled. Really funny stuff. You guys should definitely do more "spoiler filled" game talks when you finish up games. I'm about to finish up ME2, so I'm looking forward to going back to the previous podcast to get your takes on it. Cheers.

Great show guys. So which will fail more miserably, Project Shitbox or Sony BM?
Put Shipwreck on your CAGcast logo if he's already an official host of the show.
Wombat, your Twinkies jokes are not funny.
Cheapy, a tour of your new luxury office would be nice (or at least a picture).
I'm not really convinced about the Just Cause 2 demo. Maybe it's not my cup of tea.

Its quite mind boggling that Sega has already released 10 games!
Can't believe that I missed out on the omnibus event, but I must say that Amazon was quite good on their part for making good even though they really shouldn't have to.
I

bread's done
Back