CAGcast #217: F*cking Adorable

[quote name='Fuzi0n']I stopped playing RE4 really fast because the controls were so awful, so bad I couldn't give them a 2nd chance.[/QUOTE]

When did you play it? On release that game was a landmark title, and got numerous game of the year awards; it's control scheme wasn't broken.

The control scheme definitely isn't one that stands the test of time though now that we have played competent third person shooters with very doable move and shoot mechanics.

I don't care what anyone says though; the biggest problem with RE5 was the co-op gameplay and the lack atmosphere. They need to go back to a dark game that's much more scary and so they need to drop this stupid thing where they aren't trying to escape anymore and are trying to crack the case. I hate that shit! Just GTFO!!!

They need to go back to fucking zombies, limited ammo and inventory space, and giving the player a sense of urgency! Resident Evil 4 and 5 shouldn't have even been called Residente Evil; they were good, but just weren't anything like the first three games in any aspect other than the characters.

in regards to the playstation phone there are a few things that could happen(or a combination thereof)

1. sony and other developers can develop applications specifically for this device - just because it runs android doesn't mean that the applications have to run on any android device. sony can implement their own market to sell these games, to keep them seperate from the normal android market. people are raving about the quality of games on WP7, and sony has just as much muscle as MS to get developers onboard for their platform. if done properly, this could be a really strong way for Sony to differentiate their Android phones from everyone elses ("i could get a motorola phone but then i wouldnt be able to get Playstation games like i could on the sony")

2. the game controls could be used on already existing android games.. this is usually accomplished by simulating a keyboard IME . this is how Wii Remotes interface with Android games.

also, there is already a small market for keyboard covers that "convert" hardware android keyboards to gamepads.. essentially they block out all but the buttons you would use for games(and give you bigger buttons to push). one guy even tore his hardware keyboard apart to permanently make it a game controller.

Wasn't the PSPgo form factor based on a failed Sony phone called Milo or somesuch? Looks like the Playstation Phone is just reusing that body, assuming it's not just a fake.

Might just be because I've been watching more movies than playing games lately, but the PS3 has been my go-to system, especially with the new disc-less, 5.1 surround, 1080p (YMMV) Netflix app. Combine that with my excitement over Kirby and the new Donkey Kong Country game and it looks like my 360 might be cooling its metaphorical heels this holiday season. Although, maybe if I had a copy of Vanquish...?

Another comment about the ps3 built in batteries:

Cheapy.. if your battery is dead, remember you can get power from a laptop too, that way you're only slightly tethered.. just put your laptop on a coffee table or on your couch while you play.

or you can buy an ac/usb adapter for like 2 bucks anywhere and plug into your wall socket.

LOL Tank Controls are awesome!! People seem to hate on those old school RE controls, but I don't mind them. They added to the survivor horror experience, in that you had to be on your game and know where you were at, at all times ! Even though the camera angles could screw you over! Anyways, great show guys! Keep up the good work!

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']When did you play it? On release that game was a landmark title, and got numerous game of the year awards; it's control scheme wasn't broken.[/QUOTE]

On release it was also a GameCube exclusive, and its controls worked perfectly with that control pad because they were designed around that control pad.

And that control pad had the best left analog stick of any controller but it also had the worst right analog stick. So it's not hard to understand why a third-person shooter developed solely for the GameCube between 2001-2004 used a system where you moved with the left analog stick, then held down a shoulder button to also aim with the left analog stick.

GameCube_Controller.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great show guys! You totally sold me on RockBand 3 with the Keyboard...Now to try to convince my wife that the $130 keyboard bundle is a worthy investment to "learn a musical instrument".
Oh and wombat, you got dangerously close to the new Kotaku review scheme when talking about who should care/buy it for Fallout 3: NV. We'll let it slide this time, but stick to the 3 word CAG-style in the future.

[quote name='smoger']in regards to the playstation phone there are a few things that could happen(or a combination thereof)

1. sony and other developers can develop applications specifically for this device - just because it runs android doesn't mean that the applications have to run on any android device. sony can implement their own market to sell these games, to keep them seperate from the normal android market. people are raving about the quality of games on WP7, and sony has just as much muscle as MS to get developers onboard for their platform. if done properly, this could be a really strong way for Sony to differentiate their Android phones from everyone elses ("i could get a motorola phone but then i wouldnt be able to get Playstation games like i could on the sony")

2. the game controls could be used on already existing android games.. this is usually accomplished by simulating a keyboard IME . this is how Wii Remotes interface with Android games.

also, there is already a small market for keyboard covers that "convert" hardware android keyboards to gamepads.. essentially they block out all but the buttons you would use for games(and give you bigger buttons to push). one guy even tore his hardware keyboard apart to permanently make it a game controller.[/QUOTE]

So I think there's kind of two schools on this Sony phone: people who want more of a phone (apps, touch controls, texting) and people who want more of a portable gaming console.

My problem with all of this is that I don't want anything extra. I just want one less device in my pocket. If I had a phone that could play PSP/DS quality games, but could also call, text, surf the web, and listen to music on, I would be in heaven. As it stands my options are: carry separate devices for those functions (my phone, my iPod, and my PSP or DS) or buy a superphone (Android/iPhones) that compromise on one or more of those functions and be tied to a crappy network.

BUT....I do think Sony stands a pretty good chance of making this happen if it is going to happen, compared to Apple, Nintendo, or Microsoft.

C'mon Cheapy. You like the fact that the 360 uses fucking batteries as a point to why it's better than the PS3, and the PS3 is "inferior" because of it? What is this? 1996? :rofl: Dude, you're grasping at straws there on that point. It would help if you actually turned on the PS3 every few months. I shouldn't have to be searching around my house for fucking batteries if I want to play my games for an extended period of time on the 360. It sucks the life out of them after a couple days. I love the fact I can just charge my controller through the system on the PS3 without buying extra charging stations and/or batteries like on the 360.

Here's my run down. I can't force myself to give anything a 5.

PS3: 4

The PS3 is my main system of choice. I like the controller better, in terms of feel and stuff. Free online multiplayer is nice. I also like the PS3 exclusives more than what the 360 offers. The hardware is more reliable too, and I have more options in regards to the HD. The download times are just awful and incredibly slow, no matter what you do. Downloading a demo could take several hours. By the time you're done with it, you don't care anymore. The system updates are the worst because they more often than not add nothing to the table. It seems like every time you pop in a game there's an update. It's a drag. Sometimes it feels like you're doing more updating/patching than playing actual games.

I also don't like the fact that PS3 multiplatform games sometimes get the shaft and have issues that the 360 version doesn't.

360: 3

Hardware is awful. It's too damn loud, and I'm just waiting for the red ring. Controller uses batteries which is super lame. Not enough hard drive space (I'm using 20GB system), and because MS doesn't allow for third party HDs like the PS3. The 360 HDs are just a complete ripoff. I also don't like the fact you have to pay to play online multiplayer, when the PS3 does the same exact thing for free and there is virtually no difference between the two at this point. My downloads are even slower than the PS3's so I don't even bother with demos or anything from the Marketplace, which doesn't matter anyway because I have no damn space for them.

Very few must have exclusives at this point that's worth buying the system for. However, as a cheap ass, the games are generally cheaper on the 360 than the PS3. PS3 games never seem to drop, and the deals are always cheaper for 360 games.

I'm also leery of downloading anything for the 360 because of MS' handling of the original Xbox and how that stuff is just completely gone now. I think it's a huge issue that's never talked about. They still haven't said how they're going to handle 360 DLC and games down the line. We'll probably all just end up getting screwed over.

Wii: 2

I don't really play my Wii, but there's some great games on the system. I can't stand motion controls and I think it negatively affects a lot of games. I wish I could get into it, but I just can't.

On the RE1 controls, I never noticed it back in the day, but after about 15 years, they do pretty much suck. They're still amazing games, but sometimes those controls can get to you.

Good show guys.

Last edited:
I'm pretty excited about Kinect and Dance Central. I love dancing games and this one looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. I know most CAGs don't seem to like it, but I can't wait for the Microsoft Store to ship my $99 Kinect Sensor!

I'll also definitely be taking advantage of Target's Buy 2, Get 1 sale next week to get cheaper Kinect games and while I agree that the Kinect is expensive even with the deals, it's probably cheaper than what others have paid to play Rockband/Guitar Hero.

I think the Move/Kinect will probably succeed. The Move has been selling well in Europe/US (I think it's sold something like 2.5 million so far) and I've been pretty pleased with what's out so far along with the games on the horizon. I think the Kinect will do well (based on the pre-orders), but I think the problem will be in the number of games. However, if it sells like the analysts think it will, then developers will be quick to support it.

...I just hope Sega releases a new Space Channel 5 on either the Kinect or the Move and/or they re-release Space Channel 5 Parts 1 and 2 on the PSN/XBLA with optional Kinect/Move controls.

Episode 217 was like the japanese toilet seat with ass wash: once you listen to it you don't know how you survived before it.

Continue to VANquish the competition Cheapy, Wombat, and Shipwreck!

[quote name='Blackout']C'mon Cheapy. You like the fact that the 360 uses fucking batteries as a point to why it's better than the PS3, and the PS3 is "inferior" because of it? What is this? 1996? :rofl: ....[/QUOTE]

You can get a 15 foot USB-b mini cable for $5 shipped from monoprice. I mean, it's cheaper/easier than having a bunch of AA batteries.

It seems to me Wombat has not played Kirby's Epic Yarn. Play that and tell me what's more adorable.

Oh, and I have DirecTV and I don't care if they pull that channel because it's not even in HD. Worthless.

I was surprised and impressed that you openly rated each console. A lot of the games press pretend to not have a favorite just as they pretend to rate every game using the same sense of fairness. They are so fucking jaded it makes me jaded about how jaded they are, good show.

Wombat's descriptions of Fable 3 and Fallout: NV make both games seem utterly unappealing, which is strange since I'm 20 hours into Fallout and in love with it.

Wombat: With your impressions I think you get bogged down in the minutia (a la Red Shirt) a bit too much.

But that's just me.

I don't get why you don't think the PSP phone isn't the PSP2 and will have PSP2 games

A different operating system doesn't mean games can't run on both...

I just started listening to the show and it is awesome. You guys are so funny and make the show really fun to listen to.

Hey, I want to rate my consoles too.

Keep in mind that I've only had my Xbox 360 for less than two years ( I bought it when Street Fighter Iv came out), and that I bought my PS3 a few months ago.

Xbox 360: 4, leaning towards a five. I was completely bummed when I got the RRoD five months after getting my Xbox 360, but I got my console back in less than a week (and I live in Puerto Rico, go figure). Other than that, and the annoying people who love to call me $$$$er/spic/$$$/jew whenever I'm playing against them, I must say it's a very good console. My console doesn't make any noise (weird, considering it's an older, Kung Fu Panda/ Lego Indiana Jones bundle console), and while the whole circular scratch thing that happens when you accidentally tip your console or something drops on top of it while playing a game is pretty annoying, and paying for being able to play online with your friends is pretty annoying, I can't really complain. Most of the games I own are Xbox 360 games, and it is very rare when I get a bad connection when playing online, but that has to do with my shitty Internet provider. Most people complain about the control, but I really like it. It's comfortable, it is way better for fighting games than the PS3 controller, and I can plug it in, use batteries, or use a rechargeable battery pack, and I think it's good to have as many options as possible when dealing with one of the key factors to your playing experience.

PS3: 3, leaning towards a 4.

I bought because I wanted a Blu Ray player, even though I'm using an old TV (but it looks really good, and it doesn't lag, which is awesome), and there were some games I've always wanted to play like Metal Gear Solid 4 and Demon's Souls. I was a PS2 fan-boy, and I loved 6the controller, but I don't know if it's because I haven't touched a PS2 controller in many years after my console broke down, but the controller feels pretty stiff compared to the Xbox 360 controller. I've only played Super Street Fighter IV online on the PS3, but it seems that I get better connections on the 360 than on the PS3, although somebody told me the PS3 networking thing works better when you play online with people who live in your area. I still have to play more PS3 exclusives, and while I own Super Street Fighter IV for both PS3 and Xbox 360, I tend t6o buy multi platform games for my 360 more often, since they are usually cheaper than PS3 games. Blu Ray movies look awesome and very crisp, and I'm hooked with Demon's Souls, 3D Dot Game Heroes, and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, but I must say, I've still have to experience "that" game that makes me go nuts over my PS3. Also, I agree with you guys about the whole PS3 updates every time I want to play a game, or every now and then when I turn on my console. It is annoying, and while the Xbox 360 also has regular updates, they seem to be smaller in size than PS3 updates, which take like half an hour to download, which is ridiculous. Also, having to get a Bluetooth headset so you can talk with your friends on PS3 while playing is even more annoying than that cheap, Xbox 360 headset. Sure, I can get one on the cheap online, but Sony should at least bundled a cheap one with the console, like Microsoft did.

I thought about getting a Wii, but the whole "setting-up-the-sensor-bar-and-calibrate-your-Wiimote" things is a turn off for me. There are games I would love to play like Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Sin & Punishment, or New Super Mario Bros, but I can't justify getting a Wii right now. I can't say it is not tempting, especially when that new, Red Wii bundle is just around the corner, but I don't think I'm going to use it as much as I should.

Also, I really want to try out Fable III and Fallout: New Vegas, since those are the only "holiday season" games I'm kind of stoked about, but I haven't finished Fallout 3 (or the expansions), and I just recently started playing Fable II, so I guess I should finish what I have. I'm more interested in what Fable III has to offer, since Fallout: New Vegas looks exactly like Fallout 3, but I would love to try them as soon as I get rid of my backlog.

Last, but not least. I'm not into cellphones (I don't own one), and I'm not an analyst, but the PSP Phone reminds me of the N-gage. Sure, it is a nice idea, but considering it runs Android, which I guess is what most phones (except for the IPhone) use, I don't really see people going apeshit for it, like they do for anything Apple related over here. Hopefully, I'm wrong, but I don't see the average person, who is probably not a gamer, harassing his mobile service provider to stock up on PSP Phones so he or she can get one when there are so many better (or worse) options out there who appeal to a broader spectrum of consumers out there

Anyways, Happy Halloween, everyone.

I feel like the ass washing toilet company should be sponsoring the CAGcast, you guys give them a ton of good pub and talk about poop a lot.

I would love to win a game, then again who wouldn't. Insightful comment, huh, great job. To be honest it kinda sucked almost going two weeks without a show. Thanks for jumping on and making time to have a show. You guys rock, Shipwreck I would love to hear more of your Japanese fun you may or may not have had.

Cheapy missed a perfectly good opportunity to say, "After Shipwreck used my toilet, his buttcheeks was warm." :D

I totally agree with Cheapy's criticisms of the PS3. It's so annoying to have to charge my controller using that tiny little cable that came with the system. I never have that problem with my Wii or 360 controllers, since I can simply put in a spare pair of batteries.

Wombat's "news snark" tweets are usually pretty lulz worthy . . . I got a lot of mileage stealing his "Ninja Raiden" and "StarFox Reach" tweets during E3 this past summer. ;)

Am I the only one who liked the tank controls in the original survival horror games?

Sure, they were awful, but it really gave you that "helpless" feeling that is hard to find these days.

In a game like Deadspace, you always feel adequately equipped for any situation, making it less "survival" and more a shooting gallery.

Great show guys. Personally, I have gotten a fair amount of enjoyment of out the Nintendo Wii. While it doesn't have all the online features you would want in a modern system, I've drifted away from multiplayer over the years. I don't have to explain how bad people get on Xbox Live, and that has put me off from playing competitively, unless I know someone with it.

By the way, I'm surprised CheapyD didn't plug his Giantbomb page on the show. I was hoping Wombat would see it and start editing the wiki as a prank.

Don't you guys think that the best way for sony to get devs to make it android base? I'm sure more devs are looking in to android as the future of mobile games.

Great show.

I loved the show guys, I always knew you were xbox fanboys :) . Im on the other side of the fence though I love my ps3!!! way more then my xbox but everyone has their own opinions and i respect that. Keep up the good work. Oh and call me crazy but i loved resident evil 5 too, maybe just because it was the first game my wife ever played through with me.

[quote name='DrMunkee']Am I the only one who liked the tank controls in the original survival horror games?

Sure, they were awful, but it really gave you that "helpless" feeling that is hard to find these days.

In a game like Deadspace, you always feel adequately equipped for any situation, making it less "survival" and more a shooting gallery.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree about the controls of the original survival horror games. I also feel like these tank controls hold up better over time than the RE4/5 controls do/will.

I still Dead think Space is scary as fuck though.

As video game podcasters/reviewers you feel like you have to play a lot of the new games. Have you heard the stat that only like 5% of the games sold are completed? How does an average person with a job, family, etc., who isn't into only one game a year (i.e. Madden or COD) find the time to play. I have a huge backlog and am making a vow not to buy anything until I get through it. Is the industry being overrun by Good* games (*that deserve a playthrough)? Is it setting itself up for backlash as supply outpaces demand, I mean the casual crowd brought in by the Wii fad, and soon by Kinect, are fickle and will drop these gimicks like they are hot. I'm just frustrated and overgamed.

[quote name='Thomas96']I enjoyed show... as always. You guys rated the PS3 at 3 (or 4) in terms of your level(s) of satisfaction, and gave a reason why... which is fine... its each of your opinions and I do respect your opinion(s). Is it really the system that's the problem... or is it a matter of your own preference (of xbox 360)? You each raised some legitimate issues with the PS3; However I believe that if those problems were fixed (or never existed) you level(s) of satisfaction wouldn't be any different. [I can ignore the long PS3 update downloads for updates, just like how Cheapy ignored the failure rate of the 360. ]

I give the PS3 a 4.
The main thing that disappoints me with the PS3 is how developers treat the multi-platform games. They develop a game that's up to the 360 standard (of graphics, and sound, etc) and then the port for the PS3 is usually sub par. Its like every multi-platform game on PS3 is an xbox 360 game. I wish that developers would try to get the most out of the PS3 hardware, and if that means a better looking or sounding game, then so be it. In the end, it falls on Sony, because they allowed developers to create sub par software for their platform.

Here's an example:
http://www.vg247.com/2008/04/28/sie...t-of-objects-on-screen-says-ghostbusters-dev/

The PS3 version of ghostbusters turned out to be sub par, and in the article the developer is indicating that basically they were dumbing down the PS3 version for the sake of the 360... which makes me feel that as much as everyone loves the 360..I wonder if it its holding back the overall quality of games (on the PS3)?[/QUOTE]

Another thing that you need to look at is that the hardware. The wii uses CD-Rom technology that was used two generations ago. The 360 is using DVD-ROM technology, the same technology that they used on the X-Box. Sony is always trying to be innovative and trying to make advances. Though, by them doing that it hurt them in sales by releasing a $600 dollar system that only helped the 360 gain a larger grip hold on the third party market. The majority of all third party games where developed for the Playstation 2 last gen because it was the best selling system. The Wii can not handle the graphics like other current gen consoles so the next in line is the 360 with the higher consumer base.

If I had to rate my overall enjoyment of all three, both PS3 and 360 would be a solid 4. The 360 has brought some good games out and has also innovated the online experience. Oh, and of course they came up with a universal bragging right of how big of a gamer you are with the Gamer Score. They have done so much right with online and creating a great community it is awesome. They have also been cock blocking Sony by getting mainly timed exclusives to the system making consumers think that it is only available on the 360. This has even mad Sony start putting "Only on Playstation" on its games two years ago. This was never done in Sony's history before.

Of course the bad things with the 360. Their overall online marketplace has hurt the consumers. We now see content on disc that is only unlocked by purchasing the DLC for it to unlock. Their over all Microsoft Points system is confusing to consumers and the average consumer is not aware that 80 points equals a dollar. As Wombat mentioned, they have the worst customer service I have ever had to deal with, Sony is awesome in this department. Of course the huge failure rate is unacceptable period. Finally, they have no real first party line up to rival Nintendo or Sony. I would like to see more First Party titles come out for them instead of seeing them pay for third party time exclusive. If they pay a Developer to develop a game for them, it would be nice if they actually owned the property. Sony was able to secure Ratchet and Clank through Insomniac, why can't Microsoft secure the actual rights to games instead of a year of exclusiveness?

Of the Kinect games, I've heard that Kinectimals is surprisingly really, really fun. Like the surprise best game after Dance Central. If you have children, it's a must.

I really want to play Fable 3, but seeing as how it's ALREADY dropped $7 on Amazon, I think I'll hold off until at least Black Friday to make a purchase.

I listened to the show yesterday, and today I remember absolutely none of it. My memory sucks.

I did pick up Rock Band 3 based on Cheapy and Ship's recommendation (and my own want) and I quickly learned that I absolutely suck at the keyboard.

Great show this week guys, im a long time listener 1st time poster, i would just like to say i think this weeks show was one of the best this year i never stoped laughing all the way through keep it up :D

PS: Wombat bring back jewbeard ;)

bread's done
Back