CAGcast #226: Amazballs

Refusing to play either The Witcher or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. goes a long way in explaining why you don't regard Two Worlds II as the utter piece of shit that it is.

As someone who has played a lot of European RPGs across a lot of platforms...Two Worlds II is downright embarrassing when put up against other offerings from that part of the world.

edit: And I thought that you had played the spiritual successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? (Metro 2033)

edit #2: For the CAG quick looks...how about Cheap Shots?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Jeff Gerstmann, but I'd have to listen and read more opinions on DCU Online to get a better idea of its quality. Jeff doesn't come across as a guy who likes MMOs. That's how I am with most reviews really. For example, Shipwreck enjoyed BlazBlue, but Jeff wasn't as thrilled by it.

Wow, cheapy. You really got burned on that boss fight(s) in Dead Rising 2.

What happened to me, is I got to the very VERY end of the game I'm about to do what I need to do to go into over time, and I stopped playing. BOOM! Just like that! I thought I'd go back, but never did.

Slam-fucking-dunk on the little bit of talk about handheld gaming. My first CAG blog (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=16361)actually addressed some of these issues with grand titles being on puny handhelds. It's unfortunate to see great games fail seemingly because of the console they are located on.

PS3 Blood Libel:

I think you guys still didn't get the point that the PS3 exclusives are really great games, but they don't attract 360-only gamers or other gamers because Sony doesn't market or advertise them properly. (Yes, Shipwreck did touch on it slightly when he said that Sony is actually advertising Killzone 3 a month in advance). But I do firmly believe that if you saw CG cut-scenes of Killzone 3 all over the TV, it could be a system seller (just like MS is going to do with Gears 3). And also, I think (for me at least) most of the anger was because this is a great environment for gamers--20 exclusives is pretty nice if you're a PS3 owner. Frankly, there are 10 games that i want out of that list, and I don't know how I'm possibly going to get those and the other games that haven't been announced.

3DS:

The 3DS is not worth $250. I agree with Cheapy when he said that it really isn't much of a step up from the current DS. The screenshots I have seen look identical to what you can find on the current DS; and having them in 3D really doesn't justify the extra $100 from the normal DS (which I already have). Also, there's the whole debacle about the dumb friend codes (still?!), and the restrictions on the digitally downloaded games form one 3DS to another (still?!). Forget it, I will wait for the inevitable "3DS Lite." I do agree with Shipwreck that unfortunately, the 3DS will be a huge success. I just wonder how much longer can Nintendo pull this off w/o having to really give their franchises an upgrade.

PSP2:

Wombat is correct. If the PSP2 is over $250, it's not going to be pretty. In my opinion, if Sony really has a PSP that's like a portable PS3 that has the OLED screen, dual analog sticks, is backwards compatible, has "HD" graphics on a portable device, and they were able to get that out for $200 or less, this could be a game changer.

Great show ... I say next week everyone takes a couple of hits of Codein before the taping so you all sound as beligerent as Wombat did towards the end of the show.

[quote name='shipwreck']Third, I'm never going to buy a PC to play games.

Fourth, no really, never.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what type of Macs you own, but now that a lot of Steam games are on the Mac do you think you'll be doing any gaming on that platform in the future?

[quote name='jh6269']PS3 Blood Libel:

I think you guys still didn't get the point that the PS3 exclusives are really great games, but they don't attract 360-only gamers or other gamers because Sony doesn't market or advertise them properly.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it has much to do with proper marketing or advertising by Sony - it's the games themselves and whether or not they appeal to 360 gamers. You've gotta do something significantly different AND appealing to draw me away from my 360 to play a PS3 game, and it's certainly not going to be Killzone or Resistance over Halo, sorry.

What will work is pushing more niche titles, like Heavy Rain, Demon Souls, LBP (for some people, LBP can bite me), and the upcoming The Last Guardian. Show how these PS3 experiences are so vastly different than anything on the 360, rather than market-blasting derivative and overdone types of games like Killzone, Resistance, even Infamous (vs. gameplay of Prototype).

Are those derivative games fun? Absolutely. Are there tons of derivative games on the 360? You bet. But will those PS3 games get me to leave my 360? No. But the niche games will get me in a heartbeat.

And also innovate some system functionality instead of playing follow the leader: trophies (Achievements), Playstation ID (Gamertag), Playstation Network (XBOX Live), Playstation Plus (XBL Gold), Playstation Move (the Wii), and the supposed PSP2 with touchscreen (DS/iPhone/iPad). There's a whole culture around these things and Sony never had the ball to begin with.

[quote name='Kylearan']I don't think it has much to do with proper marketing or advertising by Sony - it's the games themselves and whether or not they appeal to 360 gamers. You've gotta do something significantly different AND appealing to draw me away from my 360 to play a PS3 game, and it's certainly not going to be Killzone or Resistance over Halo, sorry.

What will work is pushing more niche titles, like Heavy Rain, Demon Souls, LBP (for some people, LBP can bite me), and the upcoming The Last Guardian. Show how these PS3 experiences are so vastly different than anything on the 360, rather than market-blasting derivative and overdone types of games like Killzone, Resistance, even Infamous (vs. gameplay of Prototype).

Are those derivative games fun? Absolutely. Are there tons of derivative games on the 360? You bet. But will those PS3 games get me to leave my 360? No. But the niche games will get me in a heartbeat.

And also innovate some system functionality instead of playing follow the leader: trophies (Achievements), Playstation ID (Gamertag), Playstation Network (XBOX Live), Playstation Plus (XBL Gold), Playstation Move (the Wii), and the supposed PSP2 with touchscreen (DS/iPhone/iPad). There's a whole culture around these things and Sony never had the ball to begin with.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I do agree with most of what you said (I'm kind of the same way with the niche titles i.e., Yakuza 4, Tales of Graces F, etc.), but I guess maybe Killzone won't get you but maybe one or two out of the other 19 will? I think Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3 are their flagship titles that would be best shown on TV.

I did read last year that Sony is going to be all about connecting their devices via PSN. That to me is pretty innovative. I think a lot of stuff that Sony does right doesn't mean much to 360 gamers, specifically the ability to copy your games, share them with your friends, upgrade the systems HDD w/o a lot of fuss. I know they're copying a lot of stuff from the competition, but to me that's just trying to keep on par. But I do agree they need to move beyond it somehow.

On the other hand, I do think the reason for so many 1st party exclusives is to really emphasize their strengths. If you notice, God of War 3 had a little more story to it. Killzone 3 and Resistance 3 are getting more story focused. I think they realized that they got something good with Uncharted 2, and they want to try to add some of that element to their other games. That's my best guess at least; will it work? I Don't have any idea (but I'm kind of pessimistic but hopeful).

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Refusing to play either The Witcher or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. goes a long way in explaining why you don't regard Two Worlds II as the utter piece of shit that it is.

As someone who has played a lot of European RPGs across a lot of platforms...Two Worlds II is downright embarrassing when put up against other offerings from that part of the world.

edit: And I thought that you had played the spiritual successor to S.T.A.L.K.E.R.? (Metro 2033)

edit #2: For the CAG quick looks...how about Cheap Shots?[/QUOTE]

I played Metro 2033 on the 360. It was my favorite FPS of 2010. I can't fathom how to compare it to Two Worlds II.

BTW, you guys don't mind me adding you to my raptr acct? (Cheapy, Wombat, Ship) Since I like to ask before sending invites... (due to FFXI's discern for blind invites to party up, lol). Hell everyone can add up as well.

Alas, my 360 Slim has gotten sick and it's gettin repaired and probably due to FFXIII killing my hard drive on the PS3 (that's what I think), I'll be out of console game till I get them back in working order. Heh.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Gerstmann didn't say that he did everything in DCUO in a weekend. He said that he had seen enough in a weekend at about level 24 or so to do his review.

I don't think the PSP2 will actually be as powerful as the PS3, as it'll have a smaller resolution display that doesn't need that much power to produce visuals that will look as good as PS3 games on that screen as far as anecdotes are concerned. I'd imagine that the battery will last about as long as the PSP's battery lasts.

Racing games are definitely dead, Wombat. That's why both Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit and Gran Turismo 5 have sold very well this year, because nobody likes those games any more. Blur, ModNation Racers, and Split/Second just killed each other along with having to compete with games like Red Dead Redemption that took away a good chunk of its potential sales, though only one of those three are still being supported eight months later. Then again, any genre has its successes and failures.

Having two people definitely breaks the difficulty of Plants vs. Zombies, so the survival and mini-game modes should offer some challenge for you two. It'll be on PS3 eventually like every PopCap game.

I agree with Wombat about the 3DS' appeal to me needing more interesting content since I won't pay $250 for the tech alone.

Decent show.

[quote name='Curufinwe']There's nothing cooler than an Internet tough guy.[/QUOTE]
He doesn't hesitate to send out death threats over PM to those that he hates here. Also note the weed leaf as his avatar that also shows how cool he is.

so after hearing shipwrecks review for Two Worlds 2 i bought it on Amazon since i couldnt find a deal. I love RPG and this one sounds great. Hopes its better than 1 as i hated that game.

Lets hope your right Shipwreck.

Great show

[quote name='jh6269']Yeah, I do agree with most of what you said (I'm kind of the same way with the niche titles i.e., Yakuza 4, Tales of Graces F, etc.), but I guess maybe Killzone won't get you but maybe one or two out of the other 19 will? I think Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3 are their flagship titles that would be best shown on TV.

On the other hand, I do think the reason for so many 1st party exclusives is to really emphasize their strengths. If you notice, God of War 3 had a little more story to it. Killzone 3 and Resistance 3 are getting more story focused. I think they realized that they got something good with Uncharted 2, and they want to try to add some of that element to their other games. That's my best guess at least; will it work? I Don't have any idea (but I'm kind of pessimistic but hopeful).[/QUOTE]

Uncharted 3 will definitely get me. I was at a Video Game Trailer panel here in Los Angeles a couple weeks back and got to speak with Taylor Kurosaki from Naughty Dog and...yeah, there's no way I'll miss Uncharted 3.

Killzone 3 will eventually get me. And maybe Tales of Graces F, but The Last Guardian definitely has me psyched. And who knows, if Sorcery doesn't suck, I'll be gaming for that.

I WANT to like Resistance, but have been disappointed and bored playing so far - show me something new already.

I did notice that about GoW3, but for me it was actually less fun than 1 and 2, and again, more of the same. Dante's Inferno definitely diluted the brand a little bit - and was also more of the same.

You could say that Uncharted 3 will be "more of the same", but there's more story-driven appeal already built into it, so it manages to overcome the curse-of-sameness.

Dammit, I'm a broken record about so much being "the same" and "derivative", eh? (It's true, sadly.) Must be why I like throwing a Kinect game in from time to time and why I'm still waiting for the Move to move me. And probably why I tend towards RPGs and other story-oriented games, because they can all still play similarly yet offer an innovative plot or at least something to care about. (Look at Enslaved as a great example of that.)

I guess that's what I want from Sony's exclusives...360's, and heck, I'd even splurge for a Wii if they had something like an Eternal Darkness or Shin Megami Tensei exclusive pop up (not that either of those will occur). Not only something fun and cool, but a reason to give a damn.

That said, this year is absolutely dominated by high-profile multi-platform games. Dead Space 2. Homefront. Deux Ex. Dragon Age 2. Crysis 2. LA Noire. Portal 2. Brink. Red Faction. Max Payne 3. Rage. Batman: Arkham City. Metal Gear Solid: Rising. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. And possible Mass Effect 3. That's an INSANE number of high quality games coming to both systems. And I'm totally screwed if Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 come out close to each other.

Going back to your first point, if Sony has any chance of getting 360 owners to pick up a PS3, they'll need some pretty hoppin' games to put their marketing muscle behind. "It Only Does Everything" is great if you want people to buy it as a Blu-Ray player, but not so much for games. This year, so far at least, they don't have any significantly unique titles aside from The Last Guardian that I can see.

I have to agree with cheapy about frustrating games. I play games to have fun, not to get frustrated. Besides, there are so many other games to choose from that are challenging but not frustrating.
Wombat did well (if not better than usual) on the show in spite of the fact that he was sick. Get well soon Wombat.
Wow shipwreck, you played over 20 hours on chapter one of Two Worlds 2? wow...

[quote name='apathylad']I like Jeff Gerstmann, but I'd have to listen and read more opinions on DCU Online to get a better idea of its quality. Jeff doesn't come across as a guy who likes MMOs. That's how I am with most reviews really. For example, Shipwreck enjoyed BlazBlue, but Jeff wasn't as thrilled by it.[/QUOTE]

The problem I have with Jeff sometimes is that he will have problems with some games, but the very same issues that other games share he won't even recognize.

One of his major complaints was how rinse/repeat the mission system is in DCU. I would agree with him, but at the same time, he was in love with GTA4 and gave it game of the year. You know, GTA4, where every mission was basically "drive here, pick this person up, take them here, shoot a lot of people, then drive them back". Rinse/repeat. Throw in some crappy minigames like bowling and apparently that's all he needs.

Hell, he hated Red Dead and that was miles above GTA in terms of everything IMO. And hell, it was basically the same game just a different setting and improved...well...everything.

Thank God another show....I was worried they might have taken another crazy break

Can't wait to listen, this still is the best podcast of all to me

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']He doesn't hesitate to send out death threats over PM to those that he hates here. Also note the weed leaf as his avatar that also shows how cool he is.[/QUOTE]

Wow, he sends out death threats.

What do you have to do to get banned from CAG?

Also agree with Cheapy on frustrating parts of games. If I get stuck for long, I'm probably done with the game and regardless if it's my fault or not I blame it on shitty game design and wonder how such a stupid part of a game got through testing.

So maybe I'm just a whiny bitch but I'm a whiny bitch with no patience or time to play a game that loses it's appeal as I'm trying to beat the same lousy segment for the tenth time. It just isn't fun.

Challenge me? Yes please as long as it's a fun challenge. Frustrate me though and I'm done. It's a fine line I guess, which goes back to the testing.

Great show guys. Just a comment about Mass Effect 2 DLC not working across multiple accounts on the same machine. Was this content purchased through XBLA or downloaded through the Cerberus network? If it was downloaded through XBLA but on a different 360, a license transfer might be in order, as XBLA software licenses are linked to both console and account. While you can play any game you've downloaded on the account that purchased it on any machine, only accounts on the original machine can access them if they are not the accounts on which the software was first purchased.

Sorry if you already knew this or if it doesn't help, bit you'd be surprised how many people don't know this.

I'm with Wombat on the price point of the PSP2, if it's over 250 they are screwed. If the PSP2 and the 3DS are the same price then people will actually look at the benefits of both, where as if the PSP2 is 300 or more there is no way that the average person would pick it over the shiny new nintendo handheld.

[quote name='Wombat']Of the games you mentioned, F1 2010 (did anyone buy that in the US), NFS:HP(sold at most retailers for 35bucks in Nov & Dec), Blur(closed down the studio), Split Second (massive layoffs), Gran Turismo 5 (worst selling of the franchise?), NFS: Shift (not in stores yet).

I stand by my statement, racing, for the mainstream is dead.[/QUOTE]

Except for the 20 million Mario Kart Wii has sold. :p

I won't mention the DS version.

[quote name='trip1eX']Except for the 20 million Mario Kart Wii has sold. :p

I won't mention the DS version.[/QUOTE]

I think you may be mistaking the exception for the rule.

[quote name='shanezey']Wombat put into words what I really couldn't. I've had my same old 20GB Xbox 360 (non-HDMI) since 2006 and I've definitely got my money out of it, and I still use it on a daily basis. However, I'm starting to get that itch to buy a new console. I just got my first high-def TV for X-mas and I am very interested in Blu-Ray. Furthermore, I'd like to play the Uncharted games, and revisit some of my favorite games from the PS2 days (Sly Cooper and Ico hopefully).

The price still isn't where I'd like it to be, I think once it hits $250 I'll jump on it...[/QUOTE]
Recently there was an amazon promo for a $50 credit with purchase of a PS3, or you can check out the Amazon warehouse deals thread periodically (where I purchased my 2nd PS3 for another room recently) to get a "like new" PS3 for around $225.

Main reason I'm not excited about the 3DS isn't even really the $250 pricepoint, it's not I know in the coming years Nintendo is going to wring the cash out of it my releasing several incremental improvements. Why would I want to purchase a 3DS with mediocre titles at launch when I can just wait a little over a year for 3DSx V2 with improved features at the same price? It's what I did with the original DS, kept playing my GBA SP backlog and then finally jumped in with the DS lite.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I'm surprised you guys didn't mention you'll need a DLC token from Dead Space 2 to get "Sir Isaac Clarke" in Dragon Age 2 - or at least that's how I'm understanding it. (I forgot to mention this last CAGCast when Wombat was upset over Dragon Age 2's signature edition).

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ser-isaac-dragon-age-2/709597[/QUOTE]

There is no token in the game.

I believe how it works is through the EA account thing. Login to that while playing DS2 then again while playing DA2 and that will unlock it/ or they'll send you a code.

[quote name='Fell Open Ian']Refusing to play either The Witcher or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. goes a long way in explaining why you don't regard Two Worlds II as the utter piece of shit that it is.

edit #2: For the CAG quick looks...how about Cheap Shots?[/QUOTE]

Great post, Cheap Shots sound good.

[quote name='Curufinwe']Wow, he sends out death threats.

What do you have to do to get banned from CAG?[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't say it was any explicit, but he basically sent a message with the gravestone/RIP icon and said something like "I hate you" that pretty much said it all. :fridge: O:)

[quote name='shipwreck']I played Metro 2033 on the 360. It was my favorite FPS of 2010. I can't fathom how to compare it to Two Worlds II.[/QUOTE]

Just on the level of quality and the general region of the world in which they were developed.

European RPGs tend to be a bit rough around the edges in a more classic PC RPG sense. A little buggy, a bit janky, but deep and wonderful once you get beyond the sometimes bad first impressions.

The Witcher, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and Metro 2033 are all very much in that ilk of being far more good than they are broken but still requiring a certain level of investment and even then they are an acquired taste.

Two Worlds II is far more broken than it is good and not worth more than $20. (I imported the PAL version knowing that the first was awful because it was getting solid reviews...the reviews were dead wrong...II is better but so is a swift kick to the groin)

I don't own a PS3. I've been playing the 360 since 2006 at a time when the PS3 was $600 if you could find one in store and $1000 on ebay. I got the pro model for $340, there was a decent library of games already, and it had a more promising outlook at the time. It wasn't a difficult decision.

I'd like to get a PS3, but I don't feel the need to yet. I've got as many games as I can play for the 360 and there are a number of titles I haven't tried out yet that are hitting $20 and below right now. I think the PS3 is a great system, but as Wombat said in the 3DS (or maybe it was the PSP2) discussion, it's the content, not the system. I don't have time to play every game I'm casually interested in on the system I own, let alone one one I'd have to pay $300 for. The only thing I feel like I have to play at some point is the Uncharted series. I figure in a year or two I'll be able to pick up a PS3 for $150-$200 and all three games for another $50. Until then, I don't have any motivation to spend the cash for something that's mostly going to sit there and do nothing.

I don't care how long the exclusives list is, how well they'll review, or how fast they'll sell. If I can play 95% of the games I want to play and occupy 100% of my gaming time, then I'm set. This isn't some fanboy stance, I'd likely say the exact same thing about the 360 if I had a PS3 since most of the games I play are multi-platform.

i have both the 360 and ps3. i prefer to game on the 360. i don't know why, if a game is available for both, i usually get the 360 version. i just picked up killzone 2. i played lbp, it was ok. i was thinking about getting lbp2.

[quote name='jh6269']
3DS:

The 3DS is not worth $250. I agree with Cheapy when he said that it really isn't much of a step up from the current DS. The screenshots I have seen look identical to what you can find on the current DS; and having them in 3D really doesn't justify the extra $100 from the normal DS (which I already have)
[/QUOTE]

If you can't see the difference between 3DS games such as MGS3 and the two Resident Evil games and DS games like the two Zelda titles and the new Golden Sun then I can't help you. The difference is crazy I mean really, get your eyes checked.

I very much enjoyed this episode - glad I didn't unsubscribed like my false promises said.

And the thing about PS3 fanboys being the most defensive - it's not platform exclusive. It's fanboys in general when you bash what they obsess with continuously. The Xbox1 fanboys last generation were just as insane - it's just who's in last place/who gets the most flack.

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']
[quote name='trip1eX']Except for the 20 million Mario Kart Wii has sold. :p

I won't mention the DS version.[/QUOTE]
I think you may be mistaking the exception for the rule.[/QUOTE]

lol. Read again.

[quote name='cgarb84']If you can't see the difference between 3DS games such as MGS3 and the two Resident Evil games and DS games like the two Zelda titles and the new Golden Sun then I can't help you. The difference is crazy I mean really, get your eyes checked.[/QUOTE]

I went back and looked, and they look slightly better than the current DS (particularly Mario Kart and the Ocarina of Time) games and pretty much the same as a PSP. I hadn't looked at RE and MGS b/c I'm not interest in them at all, but I admit they look better, but not better than what I've seen on a PSP.

Yeah you are right about some games looking bad initially, Ridge Racer looks like complete ass for example. Both RE games and MGS3 look great, at least on par with the best of the PSP if not a tad better.

codeineWombat was on fire - even funnier than usual :) not sure which made me laugh harder, "don't break your pussy" or the "odor" comment.

I also agree with cheapy on playing (or not playing, rather) difficult games. We do this for fun, but if the game is nothing but an aggravation, well, I can stay at work late if I want that.

Another fun show, gentleman - thanks!

Wombat, I'm confused...

Between the last two shows I've learned that you either clean glory holes or watch gay orgies for a living. Is everything OK at the home front? I mean if that's your thing, it's totally cool. I just want to make sure you keep on doing the CAGcast.

Good show all, keep it up.

[quote name='Ultramontane']Between the last two shows I've learned that you either clean glory holes or watch gay orgies for a living..[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, that's about all I got out of this CAGcast (and some nonsense about kids shows or something). The first nine minutes of utter crap got me so torqued off that I realized I wasn't even listening by the time I'd made it to 15 minute mark.

Might I recommend that you make two podcasts? The "CrapCast" could be 45 minutes or so of stuff that has nothing to do with games while you all just catch up on Skype or something. Then do a 15 minute CAGcast where games are actually discussed. That would be kind of cool.

Edit:I should note that when you're actually talking about games, the 'cast is quite decent.

I have one major problem with the 3DS. I haven't enjoyed a Mario, Zelda or Nintendo franchise game in probably about 15 to 20 years. The 3DS promises more of the same, except in 3D with a higher per game cost. I haven't missed my DS Lite in the last 3 years, even my kids have stopped playing their DS's and they are only 4 and 6 years old. They play iPod touch because they can play so many more different experiences. I have to charge their iPods about every 2 or 3 days. I haven't charged their DS's in 3 or 4 months.

I am not saying the 3DS is doomed, it will sell well, better than the PSP2, which I am looking forward to, however it won't come close to DS, DS Lite, GBA numbers simply because of apple products. Especially at the $250 price point. iPod Touch and 25-30 games, $250-$300 depending on the games. 3DS and 1 game, $300.

Greatest idea ever for the PSP2! A little portable, plug in UMD drive!! Like what you could get for a netbook. That would be an awesome way to add backwards compatibility! It will never happen of course, but would still be awesomesauce!

[quote name='regis100']Good show! Seemed to be more fun and less serious than normal.

For people that don't know what Wombat is talking about, here is the Clifford kid before the wheelchair:
[IMG-C=144]20643[/IMG-C]

And after:
[IMG-C=144]20644[/IMG-C]

I have read the same book to all 4 of my kids and wondered the same thing.

(Images grabbed from youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeP9AMOPfJw )[/QUOTE]

My wife says because the clothes are different, it's possible the other family has another child. Check out the different hair and clothes

[quote name='MattBWild']Where is the website you guys referenced that tracks the amount of time you spend on a game?[/QUOTE]

www.raptr.com

I added everyone as friends, funny things I noticed was xbox and psn was available for tracking, why don't you track you PSN time?

bread's done
Back