CAGcast #230: Space Michael and Friends

As a father of a 3 year old daughter I can relate to wombat's assessment of the Dead Island Trailer. It is strange how a father can instantly become sensitive to certain things that would have not phased him in the past. It's the same reason why i have no desire to play Heavy Rain.

[quote name='wombat']i am not getting kz because i have dragon age coming in a week. I don't need it right now. I would like to play it eventually, but if i got it, it would just sit on a pile, and my wallet doesn't need that.[/quote]

signature edition??

[quote name='Wombat']I am not getting KZ because I have Dragon Age coming in a week. I don't need it right now. I would like to play it eventually, but if I got it, it would just sit on a pile, and my wallet doesn't need that.[/QUOTE]

That's cool, it just seemed like a morbid silence, like you didn't want to say anything. I'll even play it at some point via gamefly.

Guys, I think the show is just fine. i don't listen to the CAGCast for special segments or guests. I listen to the CAGCast because I can relate to you guys, and I always enjoy a good deal on games here and there. Don't change a thing.

Couple of notes:

• Top analyst is lacking a little. Pachter doesn't just predict numbers. The numbers he predicts have context in reports and there is reasoning behind them. People grab those numbers and report on them elsewhere removing a lot of the meaning. In order to really be a top analyst you need to include more context and reasoning with your predictions.
  • Toy Story 3 is good. Let Wombat talk about it all he wants.
  • I bought Bulletstorm instead of renting it due to the Gears beta.
  • Vague DLC plans don't generate news. Every blog ran a story on the Bulletstorm DLC plans because the details were news.
  • There's a reason Valve has Portal 2 PC priced at $44.99 on Steam. With all of the data they have available from Steam sales, you would think they would price it lower than that if they thought they would make more money.

Interesting show. I haven't actually posted in one of these threads in a long while. I agree with the people here, this was a better-than-recent-episodes show. I still think that there is a correlation between length and show quality, though...your best episodes are 90 minutes or less.

I'm surprised Ship doesn't like Dragon Age very much. Sounds like I need to give the DA2 demo a go. Maybe I'll just wait for Skyrim and then worry about filling the back catalog..

/tk

[quote name='Excast']I'm kind of surprised that only Wombat liked Dragon Age or the DA 2 demo. [/QUOTE]

I'm surprised too. The DA2 demo was much more hack n slash than the previous game. And what is so bad about video game breasticles? I thought the character models were great. I think you guys nailed it when you said 'it didn't feel like I was doing anything'. I agreed. I constantly reminisce about Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance and the games built on that engine (Champions of Norrath). It was very arcade-y feeling, but I got a sense that button mashing had a distinct result.

Question for the next show: Can you guys predict when you think the iPhone 3D will be released? 2012? 2013? Later?

My prediction: All three CAGCast hosts will have at least Kinect or Move by Xmas 2011. And 2 of 3 will have both. And the two with children will play with the controllers with their kids. Ohh noo! (Crazy Climber)

Have you talked about Battlefield 3 yet? Cheapy opened my eyes to Battlefield Bad Company and now it's the first online game I've played in earnest. Which of you are looking forward to it?

Another show suggestion: Videogame related Tweet analysis. Take the last 10 (or so) tweets from a video game personality or franchise and discuss them. For example, talk about the last few tweets from Gerstman.

And finally, I want to push the like button for the we pretend we're analysts segment and the iphone/ipad segment.

Regarding the discussion about video game price dropping.

Whenever you see an article that says something like "Assassins Creed Brotherhood Ships 5 Million Units" you can bet that it will be marked down to $40 in no time. It is a big title, but it's not Halo or a Call of Duty Game.

In order for the big retailers to get big discounts they have to buy a LOT of games. Therefore a place like amazon will discount the game quickly when they realize that it's not selling at the $60 price tag.

Side Note: Enslaved is a fantastic game, especially at $20. The voice acting and story is up there with Uncharted 2 (the story is actually much better than Uncharted 2). It is a game that makes you feel connected to the characters (without having a zombie kill a child).

Good show I enjoyed hearing about toy story 3 and it's been a game I've wanted to play since it came out but I'll hold out for a better price.

I was kinda disappointed, right after the show I just Had to play the DA2 demo after hearing about the big boobs. I played, beat the 2nd ogre after dyeing twice and was all set for full in my face massive boobs... They never came, I waited and waited and waited but nothing flopping or bouncing or even jiggling around. Then I realized it was just the big chested pirate chic wombat was talking about, I was let down. It was like seeing dog the bounty hunters wife.

I'm relieved to hear that other people had trouble with ogre 2 on the DAdemo also.. thought I just sucked. I played as a rogue and was spamming the health potions I picked up and when my entire party died I just ran around avoiding the mobs until backstab was ready.. backstabbed and ran around more. I thought it was super cheesy and I was super lame and just sucked at the game..

I found it difficult to know when I was getting hit or hitting (as Cheapy pointed out)... in DA1 I actually liked the scrolling red numbers on screen to help me figure out what's going on and to help me gauge the effectiveness of any skill/spell...

Also I don't really like the zoomed out view as much.. or the realtime buttonmashing. I prefer it autoattacking the basic attack instead of having to spam X .. as Wombat says I think autoattacking makes actually pushing a button to attack/backstab/cast/shieldbash whatever that much more satisfying.. otherwise it just feels like another attack.. like you're playing street fighter or something

More poop stories please

[quote name='grap3fruitman']You're complaining about having how many subscribers? My podcast has 5 and I'm one of them. =P[/QUOTE]

Is your mom subscriber No. 2?

[quote name='skadave']No but your mom is! ZING![/QUOTE]

You have a podcast targeting seniors, awesome old people need more podcasts. :applause:

I'd have liked it if Microsoft explained their decisions for the award nominees, as I was surprised by some of the choices and would've appreciated some more information. Looks like Limbo will sweep all four of their awards easily.

I would love for Microsoft to get smart and start allowing for permanent price drops since they don't anymore. They got rid of the Arcade Hits program with the last dashboard update and now have no real reason to even match the three drops they'd allow each year. It happens a lot more on PSN with PSN and PSP games, as I saw that about half of the recent Greatest Hits announced for the PSP were already at their new MSRPs on PSN or less. I've noted before that you can get the Penny Arcade episodes for $15 total on PSN and they're $35 total on Xbox Live. Xbox Live Games on Demand is an even bigger joke with the recent release of Super Street Fighter IV at $40, which is the same price it launched at in April 2010.

Pilotwings Resort is the flying mode from Wii Sports Resort being sold for $40.

The predictions were all pure cupcake and makes the segment worthless if you guys won't even own up to making a bad prediction.

The perfect advice for any convention is to take a shower every day. Don't add to the enormous amount of BO that will fill up any convention.

I noticed that Cheapy's killed the CAGbag thread since he conveniently forgets to check it before each show, so nobody really bothers posting in there any more.

I will be curious to hear how Cheapy likes Killzone 3 in 3D. I played it in 3D and thought it was amazing. There are a lot of 3D haters that just seem to dismiss 3D without giving it a fair shot.
BTW Cheapy, check out Piranha 3D if you want to get some good use out of your television.

i like the show format, so keep it up. I really don't like the top analyst segment though. you guys need to them more daring and controversial.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I would love for Microsoft to get smart and start allowing for permanent price drops since they don't anymore. They got rid of the Arcade Hits program with the last dashboard update and now have no real reason to even match the three drops they'd allow each year. It happens a lot more on PSN with PSN and PSP games, as I saw that about half of the recent Greatest Hits announced for the PSP were already at their new MSRPs on PSN or less. I've noted before that you can get the Penny Arcade episodes for $15 total on PSN and they're $35 total on Xbox Live. Xbox Live Games on Demand is an even bigger joke with the recent release of Super Street Fighter IV at $40, which is the same price it launched at in April 2010.[/QUOTE]

Actually, Super Street Fighter IV is $30 on XBLM now. They just don't advertise the price drops. It still doesn't excuse Modern Warfare 2 being $60 though.

Cheapy, if you wanna see a live show format that keeps good production quality (from hosts that aren't in the same room) you should check out:
http://www.gamebreaker.tv/
They mainly focus on MMOs. The hosts reference the live chat and make corrections corrections from the chat.

[quote name='KingBroly']Actually, Super Street Fighter IV is $30 on XBLM now. They just don't advertise the price drops. It still doesn't excuse Modern Warfare 2 being $60 though.[/QUOTE]
It wasn't for at least the first few weeks. I don't see why they'd shy away from letting people know by putting more press releases on Major Nelson's site.

This says that charging $60 for MW2 is a smart decision since it's second on the list of best-selling games on demand games all-time. It'll sell regardless of price, which is also why it's always in the top three of the best-selling games on Steam during the holiday sales when there are loads of cheaper games that you'd think should be selling more than the latest Call of Duty.

[quote name='KingBroly']Actually, Super Street Fighter IV is $30 on XBLM now. They just don't advertise the price drops. It still doesn't excuse Modern Warfare 2 being $60 though.[/QUOTE]

Games usually match their MSRP. When the MSRP is dropped the on demand price will drop. The MSRP for Modern Warfare 2 is still $60.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 is actually the worst offender. The on demand version is the same price as the Ultimate Edition, but it doesn't come with the VIP Pass or any of the DLC.

[quote name='jkanownik']Games usually match their MSRP. When the MSRP is dropped the on demand price will drop. The MSRP for Modern Warfare 2 is still $60.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 is actually the worst offender. The on demand version is the same price as the Ultimate Edition, but it doesn't come with the VIP Pass or any of the DLC.[/QUOTE]
Do they even have the ability to do bundles like that on XBL? I know that when the second DeathSpank came out on XBLA, they couldn't bundle the DLC with just purchases and had to make the DLC free to everyone for the first week to everyone.

They probably have the ability to, but they don't. I can't see how PSN has a bundling feature and uses it quite frequently while XBLM doesn't use it at all.

I must confess to taking a small bit of umbrage on the Detroit ragging, no matter how deserved it may be. I work downtown and I rather enjoy having my morning coffee and watching the sun rise over Windsor from my fifteenth floor office.

Seriously though, just a few months back on my way into work, I stopped at a gas station. On my way in, I was stopped by a Jehovah's Witness. Less than five minutes later, as I walked out, I was approached by a hooker. I still haven't decided if they were working in tandem or not.

I strongly support the Robocop statue. Have you seen the pledges? Supposedly, it's over $60k... http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/imaginationstation/detroit-needs-a-statue-of-robocop

EDIT: I highly recommend watching the video at the above link, wherein the plot of Robocop is rapped...

[quote name='testudo']I hope you discuss this on the next show... this is very sad news for NYC gamers:
http://www.boweryboogie.com/2011/02/breaking-chinatown-fair-arcade-shutters/[/QUOTE]

Must be a New York thing, could give a shit less if a business is moving to another place. Would be sadder if it was being closed permanently, but honestly why would the rest of the world audience care? I miss arcades, but them closing is to common of a thing here in the states. This one is just closing down to move to another location, so that is lucky!! If they talk about that, I want them to mention how my Pilates Class in Eau Claire, WI is closing and moving three blocks away down the street.....

[quote name='Davestation']Must be a New York thing, could give a shit less if a business is moving to another place. Would be sadder if it was being closed permanently, but honestly why would the rest of the world audience care? I miss arcades, but them closing is to common of a thing here in the states. This one is just closing down to move to another location, so that is lucky!! If they talk about that, I want them to mention how my Pilates Class in Eau Claire, WI is closing and moving three blocks away down the street.....[/QUOTE]

Lots of talk about it never moving, that it will just die. This arcade had so much character, it was dark, old, smelly, with all the hottest new games. It was a place where someone would play a fighting game with you, just to prove that they were better, and then leave the game as soon as they beat you. It was a bit of a time machine, it was New York City in the 70s-80s. I took my Father-in-law there once, and when he came out, he said "Did I just catch a disease?" This was a piece of NYC that heir Rudy Giuliani never touched in his massive "cleaning-up" of NYC.

Let me restate and revise, This is a big change and an end to a piece of NYC.. not just for arcade gamers.

bread's done
Back