CAGcast #236: Matzoh Madness

Shipwreck had me cracking up after the normal "Bread's done" whispering "Why is it so flat?", much better than forgetting to stop recording.

I own a Wii Classic Controller Pro. Yes it has dual analogs, start/home/select, 4 buttons, 4 triggers, dpad. Basically an over sized Dual Shock. I just wish more Wii games would support it.

Wombat, you should not get your postman anything. You are paying for a service and you should not have to give a gift so some incompetent fuck does their job right. Contact your local postmaster and file a complaint. See if you can catch your postman and explain that you are Mr. Nacht and this is your address and your mutual ducking shit best arrive here and not at your neighbors. Also threaten to kill his family if it happens again that should fix your problem.

[quote name='Davestation'] See if you can catch your postman and explain that you are Mr. Nacht and this is your address and your mutual ducking shit best arrive here and not at your neighbors. Also threaten to kill his family if it happens again that should fix your problem.[/QUOTE]

I second this, except it will be much more terrifying if he'd run out wearing his Superman snuggie with nothing underneath it...Zoinks!:hot:

I hate calling people out on this because we all have our bad days, but Cheapy, your humor fell surprisingly flat this episode. I mean, you guys all tell your share of good and bad jokes, but you had about 10 attempts at humor this episode and they ALL fell pretty flat. The only reason I'm saying this is because it really bugged me for some reason, almost as if the humor was said in a "trying too hard" manner.

Great episode otherwise though, with pretty good insight coming from everyone. Although there's a CAGbag for this, I was wondering whether you guys would talk about all of the Nintendo Wii HD rumor mill stuff that has come out in the last couple days since the podcast. Thanks.

Good show guys - better than usual.

I usually don't comment, but I had to mention about Streets of Rage Remake being taken down, mostly because I tipped the story to both Joystiq and Kotaku (the latter did not source me however). That concludes the self-fellating portion. You had some things wrong, so I'm going to correct it.

Bomberlink (the head man behind the project) did contact SEGA regarding the project, and they had been given the go-ahead:
I would like to say that we did actually contact Sega last year through an e-mail message regarding the use of copyrighted material, to which they answered asking us to send a formal letter to their legal department, so that’s what we did.
We accepted the ESA policies regarding the DMCA as well, otherwise this website would not exist anymore.

And to Wombat's point "Why didn't they reskin this?" well, that's just a silly question to ask. The purpose wasn't just to make a beat-em-up and call it a day. The whole goal of the project was to pay homage to a fantastic series that SEGA has all but forgotten. It was the ultimate love letter. To not use names, sprites, etc would be to just make a beat-em-up with SOR-like mechanics which is the antithesis of the project. That is to say, this was an all-or-nothing project. No assets means no project, which means no work would be done.

Coupled with the contacting done with SEGA, they believed they were in the clear. SEGA didn't care when earlier versions were released. They weren't as complete, but version 4 especially was a complete, working product. I understand the importance of protecting an IP, but SEGA seems to have changed their minds on Bombergames' work without reason. SEGA was wholly aware of it, but they didn't care until now. I wonder why that is. I have a feeling neither party will give us all the details.

[quote name='letsgetacid']SEGA was wholly aware of it, but they didn't care until now. I wonder why that is. I have a feeling neither party will give us all the details.[/QUOTE]

Could be just coincidence, but SEGA just released Streets of Rage 2 this week on iOS. So it is a franchise that they are actively trying to make money off of, even if they aren't releasing a new game.

[quote name='shipwreck']... SEGA just released Streets of Rage 2 this week on iOS. So it is a franchise that they are actively trying to make money off of, even if they aren't releasing a new game.[/QUOTE]

I think that's the business motto plastered on the wall of the SEGA offices.

[quote name='letsgetacid']Good show guys - better than usual.

And to Wombat's point "Why didn't they reskin this?" well, that's just a silly question to ask. The purpose wasn't just to make a beat-em-up and call it a day. The whole goal of the project was to pay homage to a fantastic series that SEGA has all but forgotten. It was the ultimate love letter. To not use names, sprites, etc would be to just make a beat-em-up with SOR-like mechanics which is the antithesis of the project. That is to say, this was an all-or-nothing project. No assets means no project, which means no work would be done.
.[/QUOTE]

A re-skinned game in the style of Streets of Rage is very definition of homage.

[quote name='Wombat']A re-skinned game in the style of Streets of Rage is very definition of homage.[/QUOTE]

I believe there's another term for that: Plagarism

I have noticed over the years that hosts of the CAGcast are prone to what I call the "Cheapy Effect". I think a lot of people would agree that once you listen to a dozen or so episodes of the CAGcast you'll know exactly what they'll think about certain games and this i all because of the "Cheapy Effect". When the CAGcast first started Wombat had a fairly diverse taste for games, but over the years it narrowed and the diversity of opinions on the podcast diminished. Having Shipwreck on special shows was always fun since he always added so much diversity, and once he joined as a regular it was great as Shipwreck filled the role Wombat once had. However now that Shipwreck has been on the CAGcast for over a year I have noticed that the diversity has also diminished. Of course he is still the one who actually plays different stuff and has a wider range of opinions and adds more games to the discussion but compared to his early CAGcasts you'll definitely see the difference and that he's slowly becoming just another Cheapy games opinion wise like Wombat did. Who knows, maybe CheapyD himself has been a subject of the "Cheapy Effect" since you'll notice that he did use to have more diversity in his game picks very early in the CAGcast, sadly he was the first affected and the fastest one.

As to the why's of the Cheapy Effect, I think it has to do with Cheapy's megalomaniac grip on the CAGcast, its the Cheapy and friends show and not the Cheapy/Wombat/Shipwreck show. If it doesn't interest Cheapy you can bet he'll try to move the conversation along to another subject even if its by interrupting, that eventually his fellow co-hosts just end up giving up on trying. Only if the subject is interesting to Cheapy can it get time, not only that even if its only interesting to Cheapy he can go on and on about a game for way far longer than it should, not that it may be a bad game but you don't want to sit through a 1 1/2 hour review of a 2 hour movie.

Now as you read you can tell that the post is tongue in cheek, I don't hate Cheapy, I like him but everything above really is true for the most part and one of the reasons I may end up dropping the CAGcast, I know Cheapy's attitude is "If you don't like it don't listen to it" and as much as I've enjoyed the CAGcast in the past, my enjoyment does seem to be slowly lowering and I'm afraid I may just end up dropping it one of these days. Just some constructive criticism, I'm really not expecting the show to be changed after this comment or have any effect whatsoever on the way you guys do the show but I thought I'd post it anyways in case you were interested on the feedback. Slightly related, I also seem to miss the more personal stories Cheapy/Wombat used to share, maybe its because you have kids now and you talk about them instead but that was another part of the show that hasn't been the same over the years either.

Tip to Wombat about Postal carrier: Make a complaint to your Postmaster at your local post office. He shouldn't be messing up that much with your packages. I remember my local post office people didn't ring my doorbell with my pax that required signatures. They simply left a notice on the door without pressing the buttons which forced me to constantly wait or pick them up at the post office. I got fed up and complained to the local Postmaster and the problems went away.

I don't understand Cheapy's advice abut giving a gift to the mailman for screwing up. Makes no sense to me. Wombat, just go complain and the issue should be resolved. If they keep screwing up after you complained, go complain again.

Btw, Cheapy's dismissal of Shipwreck's comments about The 3rd Birthday's shower scene and maid outfit KILLED ME. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sdp']I have noticed over the years that hosts of the CAGcast are prone to what I call the "Cheapy Effect". I think a lot of people would agree that once you listen to a dozen or so episodes of the CAGcast you'll know exactly what they'll think about certain games and this i all because of the "Cheapy Effect". When the CAGcast first started Wombat had a fairly diverse taste for games, but over the years it narrowed and the diversity of opinions on the podcast diminished. Having Shipwreck on special shows was always fun since he always added so much diversity, and once he joined as a regular it was great as Shipwreck filled the role Wombat once had. However now that Shipwreck has been on the CAGcast for over a year I have noticed that the diversity has also diminished. Of course he is still the one who actually plays different stuff and has a wider range of opinions and adds more games to the discussion but compared to his early CAGcasts you'll definitely see the difference and that he's slowly becoming just another Cheapy games opinion wise like Wombat did. Who knows, maybe CheapyD himself has been a subject of the "Cheapy Effect" since you'll notice that he did use to have more diversity in his game picks very early in the CAGcast, sadly he was the first affected and the fastest one.

As to the why's of the Cheapy Effect, I think it has to do with Cheapy's megalomaniac grip on the CAGcast, its the Cheapy and friends show and not the Cheapy/Wombat/Shipwreck show. If it doesn't interest Cheapy you can bet he'll try to move the conversation along to another subject even if its by interrupting, that eventually his fellow co-hosts just end up giving up on trying. Only if the subject is interesting to Cheapy can it get time, not only that even if its only interesting to Cheapy he can go on and on about a game for way far longer than it should, not that it may be a bad game but you don't want to sit through a 1 1/2 hour review of a 2 hour movie.

Now as you read you can tell that the post is tongue in cheek, I don't hate Cheapy, I like him but everything above really is true for the most part and one of the reasons I may end up dropping the CAGcast, I know Cheapy's attitude is "If you don't like it don't listen to it" and as much as I've enjoyed the CAGcast in the past, my enjoyment does seem to be slowly lowering and I'm afraid I may just end up dropping it one of these days. Just some constructive criticism, I'm really not expecting the show to be changed after this comment or have any effect whatsoever on the way you guys do the show but I thought I'd post it anyways in case you were interested on the feedback. Slightly related, I also seem to miss the more personal stories Cheapy/Wombat used to share, maybe its because you have kids now and you talk about them instead but that was another part of the show that hasn't been the same over the years either.[/QUOTE]

This is very well said and 100% true. In my opinion Cheapy is pretty set in his ways and because of that doesnt ever try anything new. Wombat whom I respect the most from the group seems to have a higher game IQ but tends, or at least seems to limit himself in opinion. Its when Wombat speaks up that I enjoy the show the most. Shipwreck is good as a host as well but I have not saw much of an effect on the show with his addition. I like him on, because he plays so many games but I again tend to like when they have different opinions.

Great show guys, I just wanted to say thanks a lot for being great hosts on the Cast. Recently me and my girlfriend broke up and I was obviously very upset but listening to this and some past episodes really helped me feel better when a lot couldn't. Thanks a lot guys.

You know what else would make you feel better? Watch High Fidelity, when my girl and I broke up, I watched it over and over and over again.

Shipwreck is right. Everyone is going ape shit over the la noire cutscenes. Why not just review games based on box art?

[quote name='H4Y4TO']I got a Zune 120GB as a gift earlier last week and I really enjoy it. I now own both the Iphone, Zune, and a older model of an Ipod. I enjoy the Zune very much I like how it has the ability to listen to radio on and the screen is way better then on the Iphone or any other cell phone/media device that I have had hands on with. Music videos and movies look amazing on the Zune. I still use my Iphone as a phone (obviously) and for apps. If Zune had apps then it would be amazing...[/QUOTE]Then what you basically want is the new Windows Phone.

[quote name='Milkyman']Wombat, my goddamn mailman doesn't even try to deliver my packages sometimes he doesnt even leave a notice that he "tried" its happened like 5 times in the last year and I've been home every time this happened. I called USPS and complained and it made NO difference.[/QUOTE]Don't just call the post office. Write a formal letter to the post master, or better yet see him in person. I used to have problems with a carrier who would skip our entire neighborhood frequently. Never happened again.

"Where do you even buy a Zune?" - Wombat

Best Buy, Amazon, or you can get one with etched custom art at ZuneStore.com

I just wanted to leave a note that I have now also taught my 3 year old son to say "did someone step on a duck?" when he hears a fart. He thinks it's the best joke. My wife wasn't thrilled at first but now she thinks it's hilarious, too. So thanks for that!

LA Noire multiplayer? Do we know anything about it?
Or, only the detective style gameplay trailers where you read faces and everything.

bread's done
Back