CAGcast #256: RoboCast

Great show guys!

As always, making my weeknights enjoyable when I'm at work.

Keep up the good work and looking forward to the next show :applause:

You guys seemed down on the hate Metacritic and maybe some pubs were throwing at you about being a proper Vidyagames Review Website. Just wanted to say that you guys not being another damn 1up Yours clone is what makes your podcast so listenable. I'll take an hour long discussion about a shitty X-men game and intense debate over the average volume of a pocket anytime over whatever the fuck Metacritic considers ideal.

Cheapy has mentioned pre-ordering Forza 4 Limited edition several times but he hasn't said from where or how much. Can anyone explain why a game with a Manufacturer's sticker price of $79.95 is currently selling on Amazon for $179.99?

BTW... You can get even more cars by emailing your receipt to Turn 10. I'm guessing you didn't know about this Cheapy.

Where are the deals fellas? Put more deal info in the cast. The search for game prices tool on the site just lists $60 for everything these days.

[quote name='Thanos2001']Cheapy has mentioned pre-ordering Forza 4 Limited edition several times but he hasn't said from where or how much. Can anyone explain why a game with a Manufacturer's sticker price of $79.95 is currently selling on Amazon for $179.99?

[/QUOTE]

Amazon is sold out of LCE, the really expensive copies listed are third party sellers trying to rip people off. I think it's too late to pre-order anywhere now. Your best bet is to go to gamestop or best buy tuesday and see if they have extra LCE copies for sale. Otherwise just buy the standard version, the in game LCE items (cars) will probably be for sale as DLC in a couple months. You're really just missing out on the book and a fancy steel game case.

[quote name='demonhellcat'] I think it's too late to pre-order anywhere now. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info! An actually "limited" Limited Edition? What-the-what??! Since when?

I found Dell and NewEgg are still taking orders at the normal price. I went with the free 3 day shipping option at NewEgg. Hopefully they don't get back to me with an apology come ship time.

So... Exactly how many were produced to create this scarcity? I don't go for pre-ordering a lot of games. Is this situation common now?:roll:

Now this is just freaky.

I was following the instructions to get extra preorder junk via Forza's site. One of the things I had to do was tweet my preorder with a #. I never log into twitter so I check out some of the messages. There are a bunch from CAG. One of them is this!

Forza 4 Limited Edition $69.99 + free shipping at Deepdiscount.com http://$$$$$$/6PZ7F

I had to cancel my order from NewEgg and appy the $10 saved to overnight shipping, End cost was about the same but now I get to play on Wed. W00T!

So I guess I need to monitor Twitter for the best CAG deals now.

Random gaming question - I want to pre-order Call of Duty MW3. I usually just pre-order games from Amazon but their pre-order special is only a credit for $10 towards the purchase of a turtle beach headset. Normally, Amazon offers a credit towards the purchase of another game....What gives?!?!?

As a result, I think I'll purchase my game from a seperate retailer. Hopefully one that offers some type of credit towards the purchase of another video game (such as the upcoming Mass Effect)......Any suggestions?

I like the hour-long format. Keeps the conversation more focused but still entertaining. Hope you guys get back on track in terms of listener drop off.

Another great show guys!

I do have to admit I am a bit surprised to hear that Spider-Man: Edge of Time is now being said to be around 7-8 hours long, it seems lately that Activision is taking the SEGA approach with the Marvel franchises and are publishing short so-so games. It's very sad since Both Ultimate Alliance games were great and Wolverine was awesome (to bad the movie wasn't).

Lately it seems like Marvel games have a under 10 hours and have no replay value policy. I haven't had a chance to play X-Men Destiny yet, but Wombat said it took him 7 hours, Spider-Man: Edge of Time around 7-8 hours long. And for me personally Captain America took me around 8 hours, Thor a little shy of 7 hours, Both Iron Man games were around 6 hours each and X3 took me about 5 hours.

** Now these times are also based on going back to finish some challanges and score some extras. So the times may very for others.

I don't mind short games but I do hate paying full price for them. Studios should really start pricing their games based on how much game play time there is ($60 the highest price and have it go down from there).
If these last few Marvel games were released as $30 games I would have picked them up instead of just renting them from Red Box or waiting for them to show up in the clearance section.

I loved the cucumber squid soft drink Pepsi.

Good episode as usual. Cheapy's review of the new smaller Kindle has me conflicted as to whether I want it or the Fire.

[quote name='Kuromimi']Awesome show guys!
"Which one of you is my wife!?"
lol[/QUOTE]

That line and the "Cucumber and Squid" line had me cracking up. Very funny.

I am in full agreement with Cheapy on having (cold) tea over fizzy drinks. However, how do does he feel about fruit juice? This is a a burning question!! Please answer it on the next show!!

I know Wombat loves Marvel and comics in general, but has he ever met a comic book licensed game he didn't like? The discussion about X-Men Destiny being between Fair and Poor was hilarious, it seems the only thing Wombat actually liked about the game was the word X-Men.

It seems to me that this is exactly the mentality that companies rely upon to sell crappy licensed games. In short, Wombat, love ya buddy, but you're part of the problem.

Here's the thing on the Subway cups. The code is printed on the outside of the cup, and at least at my Subway the cups are right in front of the counter. Don't feel like buying a drink for it? Just use your phone to snap a shot.

Oh, and thanks for the death of PreachAssGamer.

[quote name='Duke.Togo']Here's the thing on the Subway cups. The code is printed on the outside of the cup, and at least at my Subway the cups are right in front of the counter. Don't feel like buying a drink for it? Just use your phone to snap a shot.[/QUOTE]

I hope these aren't single-use codes. If so, that'd be totally asshole thing to do. It'd basically be stealing from a paying customer.

Ok, thought I'd weigh in on the Demon's Souls and Dark Souls topic. When I listened to the podcast, I was at the exact same place as Shipwreck, in Dark Souls, where he was mobbed by 5 skeletons. I had no problem at all with that part, and I think I know why:

I think a lot of people play a bit of these games and never come back because these games are not run 'n gun games. Most games, even on HARD difficulty are fast paced, move quick and keep firing. When you play these two games, to be effective, you need to slow down and plan your attacks. Lure enemies out and kill them on your terms. Get a bow and arrow (which has zoom and a reticle) and snipe them from afar. In demon's souls, you have to find better weapons (loot or buy them). Also there are magic rings that give you the advantage over the hoards of enemies--like the thieve's ring, which makes you invisible to most enemies, until you're right up on them. The theives ring and a bow, in Demon's Souls, is a deadly combination that will have you kicking ass in no time.

This is why these games are so popular. You get an enormous rush, and a feeling of real accomplishment, after you take down these badass enemies that can kill you in one hit. Also, the swordplay in this game is nothing like any other game I've played. You have to use your shield, dodge/roll, and parry. You have to wait for your attacker to strike before you strike him.

As soon as you get into the groove of playing the game, it really isn't that hard. So please, do not write these games off; they really are both masterpieces--you just have to break some of the habits you get when you play normal games. If you're getting frustrated, you're most likely doing something wrong--you need to go to the forums and get a different strategy.

EDIT: I'd also like to say that the camaraderie that I experience with the CAGs in the forums, while playing Demon's Souls, and now Dark Souls, make the experience even more awesome.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great show guys. I listened to it a few days ago, so I forget what you guys talked about. There were some funny parts though so keep up the good work guys.

I just got a new iPod, so can you guys talk about some good games that have come out recently for the next show? Thanks you guys.

A few years back CheapyD went on an anti-Mountain Dew rant. At the time I was pretty much addicted to Mt Dew Code Red. After that rant (including the bit about including veg. oil to make it slicker), I was able to convince myself that it was disgusting. I've pretty much kicked pop immediately and have continued years later. I still drink a diet orange pop occasionally, but that's it. I'd rather have water.

I didn't lose any weight, but I definitely feel better. Also: colas can aid in the creation of kidney stones, and if there is *anything* you can do to avoid that, DO IT.

Can you please bring back the coarse advertisements? Go Daddy or Go fuck Yourself was probably the leading reason i bought a Go Daddy domain.

How about "Audible.com: go listen to a book, you uncultured fuck"

[quote name='jh6269']Ok, thought I'd weigh in on the Demon's Souls and Dark Souls topic. When I listened to the podcast, I was at the exact same place as Shipwreck, in Dark Souls, where he was mobbed by 5 skeletons. I had no problem at all with that part, and I think I know why:

I think a lot of people play a bit of these games and never come back because these games are not run 'n gun games. Most games, even on HARD difficulty are fast paced, move quick and keep firing. When you play these two games, to be effective, you need to slow down and plan your attacks. Lure enemies out and kill them on your terms. Get a bow and arrow (which has zoom and a reticle) and snipe them from afar. In demon's souls, you have to find better weapons (loot or buy them). Also there are magic rings that give you the advantage over the hoards of enemies--like the thieve's ring, which makes you invisible to most enemies, until you're right up on them. The theives ring and a bow, in Demon's Souls, is a deadly combination that will have you kicking ass in no time.

This is why these games are so popular. You get an enormous rush, and a feeling of real accomplishment, after you take down these badass enemies that can kill you in one hit. Also, the swordplay in this game is nothing like any other game I've played. You have to use your shield, dodge/roll, and parry. You have to wait for your attacker to strike before you strike him.

As soon as you get into the groove of playing the game, it really isn't that hard. So please, do not write these games off; they really are both masterpieces--you just have to break some of the habits you get when you play normal games. If you're getting frustrated, you're most likely doing something wrong--you need to go to the forums and get a different strategy.

EDIT: I'd also like to say that the camaraderie that I experience with the CAGs in the forums, while playing Demon's Souls, and now Dark Souls, make the experience even more awesome.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree. I was ALSO in the same spot and had no problem. First time playing Dark Souls and i'd say it took about a day getting use to it. I definitely feel that rush when i defeat a band of enemies and the bosses. You literally stand up with your hands in the air as you've just won a gold medal.

[quote name='LiK']Oh c'mon Cheapy, $4.99 for PS2 classics? If Nintendo is charging $5-8 for NES/SNES games on Virtual Console and MS is charging $15 for Xbox 1 games like Halo on Games on Demand, $9.99 for PS2 games on PSN is a pretty good deal. And they happen to be very good games. $10 is a great price point.

I'm really glad Sony chose these niche games as a starting point. They are not easy to find and not exactly super cheap. C'mon Cheapy, COME ON.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention N64 games are 9.99 as well. I was thinking this the entire discussion. 9.99 for a PS2 game is MORE than a fair price.

A book series I would definitely recommend is the Dresden Files, the audio books are quite good too, first 12 are read by James Marsters. On the 10th myself.

[quote name='adriley313']Where is the handheld love.
In the last 3 weeks we had Persona 2: Innocent Sin remake for the PSP and for the DS the new Solatorobo: Red the Hunter.

Also you may wanna tell the CAG that they can also get $100 off certain eletronic products including iPod Touchs if they get Audible for a year.

Audible Deal

Great podcast[/QUOTE]

or a $100 off a Kindle Keyboard.

[quote name='oxidative']I love the CAGcast. I'm sorry I don't post more often in the show threads. I listen while I'm away from the computer and think of all sorts of things to say. Then I get to the computer and forget everything....

Maybe you could actually post the show notes (or the outline)? Or Wiki these threads so someone else can post the notes?

[/QUOTE]

This...

I love the show but rarely remember to comment because I listen in my car and it takes me a few days commute to get through a show (except this short ass one lol) and then I forget. You guys might make fun of your show and think it's garbage but there is a reason you get 20,000 weekly downloads, don't forget that.

Cheapy, for the next charity you should post the Charleston video if we reach a donation goal! Give people extra incentive.

I don't get the iPhone 4S hate. The thing is debuting with a new version of the operating system, it's got a massively better processor, completely rebuilt antenna system, more memory than it has ever had, and a much upgraded camera and optics, not to mention the Siri software. Is it just a case redesign that you are looking for? I mean, if they released the same thing and put a "5" on the outside instead of a "4S", what else would you be complaining about?

It's sort of an "Astronomy for Dummies" show, seemingly targeted at teenagers and young adults who never paid much attention to this sort of thing before. Everything is presented in quick little sound bites that barely scratch the surface of the subject matter. Interviews with interesting guests are unfortunately chopped up into tiny segments that make it difficult to get anything out of them. Tyson spends far too much of the show engaging in idle banter with his irritating "comedienne" co-host, whose main attributes are a grating, Fran Drescher-type voice, and a tiresome "I'm just a dumb girl; this science stuff is confusing and boring!" schtick (Then why are you on the show?). It's a shame, really; I feel Dr. Tyson's talents are wasted here. Perhaps this format works in radio, but I think it fails as a podcast. With a little tweaking, such as replacing the co-host and a adding a bit more depth to the material, this could be a good podcast (and perhaps still be a good radio show).

(1) Because you guys were asking for some feedback and (2) because Wombat prefers comments/feedback that refer to him or give him something to discuss without Cheapy or Shipwreck:

Wombat spends way too much time talking about bad games. Right now it's the Xmen game. It reminds me of how much time he spent talking about the Iron Man game that he got for $5. Seriously Wombat, two weeks in a row on a game that no one bought, no one else played and everyone agreed should have been a downloadable game?

So there is my feedback. Having noted the above, I want to make clear that I enjoy Wombat, but at times he needs to realize that he's trying too hard to have something that he can have a monologue about.

bread's done
Back