CAGcast #258: Now with 75% More Batman

Made by the right company, I would buy a Flash game in a heartbeat. The Flash totally rules and he has tons of powers beyond simply running quickly. Plus Barry Allen is an interesting character with a complex personal life.

I have Wombat to thank for my love of the Flash - he's the one that recommended Tom Vs. The Justice League on the Cagcast lo those many years ago. That became Tom Vs. The Flash and now Tom Vs. Aquaman, all of which are fantastic. So thanks, Wombat!

I've listened to every one of your podcasts, and this is the first time you guys have ever annoyed me.

Do me a favor and refrain from arguing the difference between a 92 and a 95 on metacritic? Games that enter the 90's have to fight for every percentage point?...Who gives a flying fuck. The CAG video game reviews last time I checked don't even use a number based system, and for good reason. Calm the fuck down about metacritic scores. Great games are great arguing percentage points is equivalent to pissing in the wind.

Keep up the good work, love the podcast.

Cheapy, I can relate to trying to cram tall American legs into the Tokyo Disney rides. Christ that sucked. LOL BTW, the Tokyo Twilight Zone ride is the shit. It's totally different from the US one. Hope you got to ride it.

[quote name='thefordprefect']Definitely agree about Transformers 3. It is a steaming pile of rat crap. Never listen to anyone who said they enjoyed that movie about anything. I want my time back.[/QUOTE]Watch the first video on this link about the new Transformers game. You'll see how the creators have care and respect for the Transformers while still creating something new that isn't a slave to a 25-year old cartoon. F*** you, Michael Bay.

CAGcast guys, you've talked before how you would like to do some PC gaming but didn't want to buy a new machine. You also seemed like you weren't crazy about using Boot Camp. (Don't blame you there. I've read that Apple half-assed the drivers.) But have you tried Parrallels? It lets you run a Win7 desktop and programs side-by-side with Mac apps and no rebooting. Free trial too.

Okay Cheapy, I'll call you out on the painful hands thing. I'm two days older than you; we have the same history in gaming (I seem to recall you mentioning having a Telstar and TI 99/4A back in the day) and I work in I.T. I'm at a keyboard up to twelve hours at a time, and I don't have the hand pains that you talk about. In fact, I kinda worry about your health overall from the things you've mentioned in the past.

So, grab a fresh tampon and suck it up.

Is Fara the iOS game by Cags?

If your hands are hurting after playing of games, there is something wrong in your desktop setup. Maybe its a poor mouse, or your wrists are being bent at a bad angle. And a natural keyboard makes a huge difference. Straight keyboards are only good for torture devices.

Quite enjoyed the Disney stuff at the beginning of the show. Being a huge Disney fan, I practically had a raging erection learning about Tokyo Disney. And good to see Wombat seems mildly interested in it as well!

And thank you, Wombat, for the 6 foot tall mouse joke early on. I think I woke up my roommate laughing at it.

Great show! Next week can you talk more Batman? I didn't get enough.

You guys should try Dungeon Defenders. It's a good game but really tight with the cheevos. Fun to play with 4 friends.

More Batman? Wombat was talking about it so much that I'm starting to wonder if Mrs Wombat dons the cowl on costume night. ;)

Great episode, finished it in two sittings. I'm actually proud of you cheapy for making the iphone discussion so short, though I wouldn't have minded an in depth analysis, even if the BMQ would be 0.

Gotta agree with the price statement regarding new games.

Just looking at http://videogames.pricecharting.com/console/xbox-360?sort-by=highest-price

There hasn't been a game on the 360 system this year or last that has gone above MSRP that isn't a special/collectors/limited edition and everything in general has gone 20% or below MSRP after release.

It's why I kinda refuse to buy anything that doesn't come with credit unless It's something I must have day one (namingly Mass Effect 3).

I think shipwreck is going to win on his top analyst predication regarding 3ds being hard to find at Christmas. Amazon is currently sold out and is only being sold by 3rd parties. Also seems like some of the used games prices are ticking up as well.

Wombat, you must be a proud father! Such a good influence on your daughter:

6a00d8341c5d9653ef0120a69fc66c970c.jpg

Great podcast guys!

I have to write in and say that I LOVE the Bullshit Quarterly stuff. What needs to be done to make this happen?

iCarly is actually surprisingly good, seems like Nick knows how to make decent live action kid shows, Nothing like the Disney crap.

Also and I hate to admit that I know this, but the iCarly girls are over 18 now.

FYI Cheapy- The Haunted Mansion in California does the same thing with Nightmare Before Christmas decor. I can definitely understand why Tai didn't like it.

Also, congrats to Mrs. Cheapy on her Buzz Lightyear victory. :D

Ship you sound like you are saying Kabbalah when you say Cabela.

Maybe a game based on the supposedly cult-like religion would be exciting. Kabbalah's Dangerous Hunt, hunting and slaying unbelievers.

You guys dont use USB drives for your Arcade games? Get a 16 GB USB stick, put all your arcade games on it and just play them all off of the stick, saves so much hard drive space.

I do this with Arcade games and full releases too, on a 16 GB stick you can usually fit two full game installs, keeps your hard drive clean and you dont lose any performance

The Cagcast rocks! It takes me a week to listen to it as i put it on every night to fall asleep to and start the next night where i last remember listening. hey Cheapy... have you ever thought about Getting a different phone besides the over-hyped small ass screen Iphone? Also, when MARIO says '"it's me MARIO" why do you always say "Mare-io" been a long time pet peeve of mine. At least shipwreck gets its right.

After listening to the CAGcast, I believe he should henceforth be know as the crime fighter, WomBatman!
Another great job you guys! Loved the show, and look forward to the next!
Hopefully Shipwreck is blow away by BF3, and it can cause The Great CAG Debate, and force us all to choose who's corner we will take!
CheapyD - Forza 4
WomBatman - Batman Arkham City
Shipwreck - Battlefield 3
:)

Cheapy! You were talking to me in the CAG bag. I'm a 38-year old PC gamer who works on a computer all day. I hear you on the hurting wrists! So I hook my HDTV up to an HTPC so I can game in my living room, then I bought one of these so I can play with an xbox controller:
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-Wireless-Controller-Windows/dp/B004QRKWKQ/

Check it out man! Now that things like Arkham City having superior graphics on PC, it's a great time to jump back in to PC gaming. Link to brief, cool Arkham City comparison video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_UNRp7Wrog&feature=player_embedded

I'm sorry, you may want to avert your eyes Wombat, as I honestly don't want to make you feel bad, but I have to chime in with a bit of feedback on this show. Now mind you, I don't usually post in the feedback thread, and as you can see I've been a member and listener for 8+ years.. but good God, was Wombat high this episode?

He typically has a relatively tolerable threshold of insufferable humor, but this episode he was damned near unbearable almost the entire way through. I'm not even a Wombat hater, but Christ, one horrible, completely-unrelated joke after another, and how he just became more and more amused with himself.. I felt like pausing it several times and just telling my iPhone to fuck off. I think everyone can tell that Cheapy and Shipwreck didn't want to touch his horrible lines for fear of getting sucked into the Wombat humor-destroying vacuum, holy fuck.

Otherwise, GREAT PODCAST KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK GUYS!

Man, you gotta archive some of the episodes on iTunes. It takes 10 minutes just to load the Cagcast iTunes page on my phone.

it's been long enough since the podcast from last year's e3. Can you please explain what wombat said about the lobster that was akward?

thanks

comic book batman something for the contest

CheapyD, I think Jeff Green might have something to say to you about PC gaming. He's gamed for far longer and was a gaming journalist for over a decade and is a full dozen years older than you.

[quote name='banodyne']CAGcast guys, you've talked before how you would like to do some PC gaming but didn't want to buy a new machine. You also seemed like you weren't crazy about using Boot Camp. (Don't blame you there. I've read that Apple half-assed the drivers.) But have you tried Parrallels? It lets you run a Win7 desktop and programs side-by-side with Mac apps and no rebooting. Free trial too.[/QUOTE]

Parrallels actually has at least one free alternative. From what you say I can only assume you're taking about gaming with Parrallels, and I can tell you that virtualization is even worse than dual-booting when it comes to gaming.

Also I think the Mac gaming scene and open source projects have been growing rather quickly over the last few years.

Really, Wombat?

Batman is the greatest character in all of American literature? I understand you stand behind your statement so I would love to hear you back that up. I love Batman as much as the next guy; he is definitely my favorite superhero, but I don't think I would go as far as to say that he is the single greatest literary character ever created in the United States.

For one thing, I don't think it's fair to pick one single character from such a broad field. What makes Batman a better character than Huckelberry Finn? What makes Captain Ahab a better character than Blanche DuBois? Or vice versa? Yes Batman is a great character, but I have to respectfully disagree with your statement simply because it is far too subjective and vague.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcvCgoelIsQ

Second, I noticed how you qualified your statement by limiting it to American literature because, I think, you know Batman can't compete with the likes of Sherlock Holmes, Hamlet, Oedipus Rex, or even Pinocchio.

Those kind of superlative comments make people sound like tweens trying to justify their favorite pastimes as legitimate academic endeavors.

That being said, in my opinion, the best character ever in the history of American television is Gibby from iCarly. :bow:

tumblr_lo90u79xDz1qj64b5.jpg

If Shipwreck did the show dressed in a Batsuit, Wombat would still interrupt him constantly.

Also, I like what Wombat brings to the show normally, but the last few weeks he seems to have lost his spontaneity. Monologues such as his "batman is the greatest fictional.. blah blah blah" come off as completely rehearsed. It just seems like he spends too much time coming up with speeches that he then works into the show for 10 minutes at a time.

In reply to the Nightmare Before Christmas stuff in the Haunted Mansion at Disney:

At Disneyland, they do what is called "Haunted Mansion Holiday" which runs from late September to early January every year, transforming the traditional Haunted Mansion setting to something that has been "taken over" by the Nightmare Before Christmas cast.

At Disney World, it is business as usual during that same time frame. I've been to both parks (Disney World, and Disneyland) during Halloween celebrations and would have to say that I prefer the Haunted Mansion in Disneyland during that time for the extra Nightmare Before Christmas stuff, but without the decor I prefer the Disney World Haunted Mansion as they are both a little bit different from each other.

I would be very interested in checking out the Haunted Mansion in Tokyo. Sorry for that long-winded nonsense, my wife has converted me into somewhat of a Disney nerd.

I just wanted to say as a long time CAG, I just listened to CAGcast 258. I haven't listened to any podcast in over a year and never a CAGcast before today. It was good. Your show is surprisingly easy to jump in without knowledge of the 257 prior shows and pick up on the personalities. Nice job. I'll probably give a listen to another show in the future when time permits it.

Signed up for the audible free trial. Was hesitant to try an audio book, never thought it would stick. However, I am truly enjoying it and am glad I followed your advice.

bread's done
Back