CAGcast #272: Sony Sympathy

weeeeeeeeeeee another hour or so of the fucking microoft fanboy hour. bloody hell already say whatever you want about sony nobody cares least of all sony at the end of the day if the vita fails they will continue on as a company you all come off really arrogant to say you want to have sympathy for a company that wastes more money on paper cups than you all will ever see in a collected lifetime of working.

you dont like it fine move on to another topic but your sony hate can be too much to stomach at times fucking hell but you lick the sweat of the balls of microsoft of every little thing they do. please for the love of God just stop this bullshit already everyone gets it already you love the taste of microsofts balls in your mouth.

Walmart is the last place you should go for gaming because they are the worst place to buy games. The games never seem to go below MSRP regardless of age which results in really old games selling for $60 and they generally don't have a very good selection. The Walmart by me still has a Xbox 360 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Super Elite Console and it still hasn't gone down in price from when it was released in 2009. A better indicator would probably be Amazon where the Playstation Vita Wifi is currently #5 in Video Game Best Sellers.

I guess I'm the complete opposite of you guys because the reason why I want a Vita is because it is the closest thing possible to a console experience that I can get from a handheld. I think the biggest problem with the Vita right now is the price. $250 is a little steep for a handheld gaming system. The 3DS also launched with a $250 price tag, but it went down in price pretty quickly and hopefully the PSV does too. The memory cards and games are also too damn expensive. There's no reason a handheld game should cost $50 and $99 for 32GBs is just plain crazy. The $30/40 range like the 3DS seems more reasonable.

With regards to the launch of the Vita, I think it had an ok set of launch titles considering how launches normally go. There are a couple games that I'm interested in, but sadly none of them are really original. They're either ports or new handheld versions of console games. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. The first uniquely Vita game I'm looking forward to is Gravity Rush, but that doesn't come out until May.

We'll have to see how the Vita does. I really want it to succeed because it's a gorgeous device that has so much going for it in terms of hardware. My main concern is developer support. I really don't know what the second half of the year holds for the Vita. I guess one thing it has going for it is that it seems like an excellent platform to play cheap downloadable titles like Super Stardust Delta and Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack. Hopefully it does well and they lower the price before the end of the year so I can buy one. Budget titles would help too. :bouncy:

This image instantly came to mind during cheapys "self-censoring of tweets" confessional:
28N2g.jpg

seriously most unintentionally funny thing I've heard all week.

I would be surprised if CheapyD and Shipwreck get an invite to the Sony's press conference at E3.3 weeks of Cheapy bashing...that's not unreasonably critical./s

Before Shipwreck was in the picture, the podcast was simple. CheapyD was the MS fanboy and Wombat seemed to be the more open-book reasonable person. Now, I think that Shipwreck seems to outwit Wombat more often than not with his common-sense and CheapyD always lightens the mood with his Howard Stern approach to the show, being the king. I still love all three but now it just seems Wombat can get a little bitter about being wrong. But, all in all loved the show.

p.s. i actually would love for you guys to bitch and argue with each other more about your different opinons. it's actually pretty funny and makes it feel less scripted and robotic.

It is sad that we are getting to the point where people are saying "who cares if it sucks, it's only a dollar" as a way to justify playing awful generic garbage on their phone. The only stuff worth playing on iOS are the simple games...puzzle games, board games, word games, etc. Anything with any level of intensity is almost always terrible. If you don't want to carry around a portable gaming device and would rather just mess around with whatever is on your phone, that's understandable. But lets not fool ourselves into believing those little apps are as good or better than the real games available on 3DS and Vita.

[quote name='lokizz']weeeeeeeeeeee another hour or so of the fucking microoft fanboy hour. bloody hell already say whatever you want about sony nobody cares least of all sony at the end of the day if the vita fails they will continue on as a company you all come off really arrogant to say you want to have sympathy for a company that wastes more money on paper cups than you all will ever see in a collected lifetime of working.

you dont like it fine move on to another topic but your sony hate can be too much to stomach at times fucking hell but you lick the sweat of the balls of microsoft of every little thing they do. please for the love of God just stop this bullshit already everyone gets it already you love the taste of microsofts balls in your mouth.[/QUOTE]

Jesus CHRIST at the salty PS3 fanboy posts. Everyone and their mother are predicting Vita to fail based off a bunch of wrongdoings from Sony, the competition with the very popular 3DS, and the whole smartphone/tablet shebang. Yet Cheapy and crew express honest and justified opinions and a bunch of people start crying?

Get the fuck off the site, then. Calling people "fanboys" to justify your own fanboyism is more tiring then "herp derp 3 weeks of Vita negativity."

Let's beat the vita dead horse a little more. . .

Here's my issue with Cheapy's assessment of the vita. Usually when someone purchases a devise, they have an intended purpose in mind for how and when they will use the said devise. Cheapy bought his so that he could use it for reviews/impressions only. His opinions would be different if he commuted 2 hours each day which is the Vita's target audience. It is not for a stay at home dad who leaves the house once a day to drop his kid off at school (ok. . . that was a low blow).

No one is going to use the vita as a PS3/360 substitute. . . they are going to use it when they commute or need it to kill time waiting at the DMV. A reviewer should know this and review it for its target audience. Don't get me wrong, i don't mind hearing his opinions, but it's like getting a book review from a person who hates to read.

[quote name='usickenme']Typical Wombat douche-baggery. He's had the iphone a whole month and he knows everything about the platform. Wow spent 5 min. browsing the store, you really did you're homework, there. Is that how you find music too? But I guess there are enough gamers who are butt-hurt about Apple to continue this.

The only problem is the amount of noise (and I will admit there is a lot) on ios that one has to filter to get to the good stuff. But to simply declare all it has is crap is just dumb.[/QUOTE]

One could make a decent case that the amount of "meaty" games is slim, but there are definitely a ton of great games out there. I wonder if Wombat has tried Sword & Poker yet. Great game that doesn't get mentioned much anymore.

I don't understand the hate from the CagCast on the Vita. It is really awesome. Stardust, HSG, Uncharted are all great. I guess if you guys never travel its not for you.

PS great show

[quote name='skadave']Let's beat the vita dead horse a little more. . .

Here's my issue with Cheapy's assessment of the vita. Usually when someone purchases a devise, they have an intended purpose in mind for how and when they will use the said devise. Cheapy bought his so that he could use it for reviews/impressions only. His opinions would be different if he commuted 2 hours each day which is the Vita's target audience. It is not for a stay at home dad who leaves the house once a day to drop his kid off at school (ok. . . that was a low blow).

No one is going to use the vita as a PS3/360 substitute. . . they are going to use it when they commute or need it to kill time waiting at the DMV. A reviewer should know this and review it for its target audience. Don't get me wrong, i don't mind hearing his opinions, but it's like getting a book review from a person who hates to read.[/QUOTE]

That's a good point, like with the PS3, Cheapy buys these [Sony] products, with the primary purpose of talking about it on the show, and he's not that interested in the product. Although with the Vita, some of his gripes are legitimate imo, as some of his gripes with the PS3 were legitimate... but a lot of it was just coming from a place of pure bias.

Good podcast guys. Cheapy you shouldn't feel bad for Sony. They deserve all the criticism for making the Vita have most of the same problems that plagued the PSP.

[quote name='skadave']Let's beat the vita dead horse a little more. . .

No one is going to use the vita as a PS3/360 substitute. . . they are going to use it when they commute or need it to kill time waiting at the DMV. A reviewer should know this and review it for its target audience. Don't get me wrong, i don't mind hearing his opinions, but it's like getting a book review from a person who hates to read.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. It seems like Cheapy's biggest issue is that there is nothing unique about the Vita that makes him want to play it. Cheapy gets his console fix from his 360/PS3 and doesn't want that same experience on the go so even if he had a 2 hour commute he still wouldn't like the Via. He would prefer to do something else during the commute that offers him a difference experience than his 360/PS3 like an iphone game or a book.

[quote name='infamy']Jesus CHRIST at the salty PS3 fanboy posts. Everyone and their mother are predicting Vita to fail based off a bunch of wrongdoings from Sony, the competition with the very popular 3DS, and the whole smartphone/tablet shebang. Yet Cheapy and crew express honest and justified opinions and a bunch of people start crying?

Get the fuck off the site, then. Calling people "fanboys" to justify your own fanboyism is more tiring then "herp derp 3 weeks of Vita negativity."[/QUOTE]

who are you ? yeah im a fanboy i have a ps3......and a wii................and im getting a 3ds...........yeah. why dont you get off the site lol wow what a fucking dumbass leave the site who the fuck are you the cag gate keeper? that would explain why ive never seen you on here before.

Wombat, have you tried Game Dev Story yet? I can't quite get behind the hype for games like Angry Birds or Tiny Wings, though Tiny Wings I did get some enjoyment out of. But I have put way more time into Game Dev Story than I thought I ever would in a game like that.

I tried some of their other games (Hot Springs Resort and Mall Story or somethin like that) and they didn't capture the same enthusiasm I had for Game Dev Story.

[quote name='lokizz']who are you ? yeah im a fanboy i have a ps3......and a wii................and im getting a 3ds...........yeah. why dont you get off the site lol wow what a fucking dumbass leave the site who the fuck are you the cag gate keeper? that would explain why ive never seen you on here before.[/QUOTE]

:applause: lol

[quote name='Sinfulfate']Good podcast guys. Cheapy you shouldn't feel bad for Sony. They deserve all the criticism for making the Vita have most of the same problems that plagued the PSP.

I disagree. It seems like Cheapy's biggest issue is that there is nothing unique about the Vita that makes him want to play it. Cheapy gets his console fix from his 360/PS3 and doesn't want that same experience on the go so even if he had a 2 hour commute he still wouldn't like the Via. He would prefer to do something else during the commute that offers him a difference experience than his 360/PS3 like an iphone game or a book.[/QUOTE]

You proved my point. . . he does not want a PS3-Like Experience on the train. He wants a book or a simple iphone game, therefore the PS Vita is not for him. It's like complaining that a banana is not an orange.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a Vita (cancelled a pre-order for wifi version), so keep that in mind. The main reason why I cancelled the pre-order is because the Vita does not appear to do anything novel. To me, it just seems to be an iteration of several devices but it doesn't seem to have any really cool new technology or novel uses of existing technology.

It may have a faster chip and better looking screen, but so what. If it wants to be a "portable console", then Sony should have made it that. If that was the intended target then I should be able to quickly and seamlessly transfer my gaming from the PS3 to the Vita and back. I travel quite a bit for my job and can't take a console with me. If I could continue playing games while I was on the road I would, most likely, buy a Vita.

This is not to say the Vita isn't enjoyable, I just don't think it has anything novel or compelling to make it a run away hit.

The problem with the Vita isn't the device itself. It's the price you pay for what you get. The DS is around 150 and the Vita starts at 250. No matter how amazing the technology is, it's a bit much for a portable unit especially when brand new this gen consoles go from 150-250 and offer much more to a home entertainment experience. I know portable market and console market are different in the demand and accessibility. But I keep thinking about how much a price would have an impact on production of games and desire to own and use a console.

I believe the original PSP costs a good amount more than the DS when it came out, I just remember spending way too much at launch to play Lumines when my friends all had the original DS and were having a blast with those. Games were somewhat cheaper and yes it was a new way of playing games. And I think now with all the games we have on mobile devices and how the DS has evolved through what is it? 4 or 5 different variations, from what I understand all those games for the O.G. DS can be played on the newer ones. Where as Sony took a road and when they did an extreme reiteraton(PSP GO) they eliminated a whole market of people that were consumers of their product in a sense.

I honestly think price is the issue, not the games for the Vita. If the Vita was a $150, you bet your ass a lot of us would make more of a impulse buy for it. Therefore it would open a wider market for shit games that make so much money like on the DS. (all those BE A HAIRDRESSER, PONYZ, FUR REALZ games) and then it would be more of a competitor as far as a product goes.

My cousin wanted to buy the 3G Vita last week for $350. He's a compulsive spender and I just started laughing in the store when he told me this. Like really dude? Three hundred fifty dollars for THIS device? TO ME, I know it's not a fair comparison, but TO ME, it's like paying $400 for a Kindle Fire. It's just too much. The Vita is not a phone, it's not a tablet, it's a dedicated gaming device and the price of games and the system is alienating possible market expansion.

Sony has done this before too with the PS3. Wasn't the launch PS3 $500 and $600? A good $100 to $200 more than a 360 at the time? It's a cool system, but it's just too much :/

P.S. Wombat, more devil advocate discussion from you plz, thx babe.

[quote name='AshesofWake']The problem with the Vita isn't the device itself. It's the price you pay for what you get. The DS is around 150 and the Vita starts at 250. No matter how amazing the technology is, it's a bit much for a portable unit especially when brand new this gen consoles go from 150-250 and offer much more to a home entertainment experience. I know portable market and console market are different in the demand and accessibility. But I keep thinking about how much a price would have an impact on production of games and desire to own and use a console.

I believe the original PSP costs a good amount more than the DS when it came out, I just remember spending way too much at launch to play Lumines when my friends all had the original DS and were having a blast with those. Games were somewhat cheaper and yes it was a new way of playing games. And I think now with all the games we have on mobile devices and how the DS has evolved through what is it? 4 or 5 different variations, from what I understand all those games for the O.G. DS can be played on the newer ones. Where as Sony took a road and when they did an extreme reiteraton(PSP GO) they eliminated a whole market of people that were consumers of their product in a sense.

I honestly think price is the issue, not the games for the Vita. If the Vita was a $150, you bet your ass a lot of us would make more of a impulse buy for it. Therefore it would open a wider market for shit games that make so much money like on the DS. (all those BE A HAIRDRESSER, PONYZ, FUR REALZ games) and then it would be more of a competitor as far as a product goes.

My cousin wanted to buy the 3G Vita last week for $350. He's a compulsive spender and I just started laughing in the store when he told me this. Like really dude? Three hundred fifty dollars for THIS device? TO ME, I know it's not a fair comparison, but TO ME, it's like paying $400 for a Kindle Fire. It's just too much. The Vita is not a phone, it's not a tablet, it's a dedicated gaming device and the price of games and the system is alienating possible market expansion.

Sony has done this before too with the PS3. Wasn't the launch PS3 $500 and $600? A good $100 to $200 more than a 360 at the time? It's a cool system, but it's just too much :/

P.S. Wombat, more devil advocate discussion from you plz, thx babe.[/QUOTE]

the 3ds started at 250 as well and not too many people complained about that then until the vita was said to launch at the same price. at that point it seemed like the vita could make some noise but then nin dropped the price of the 3ds and now everyone is making noise about how the vita is too expensive.

personally i wouldnt pay more than 99.99 for either since you know the 3ds is will a new version or 2 and im not interested in the vita. most people have issue with the constant bashing done on sony products by the shows mascots while when it comes to the glaring errors committed by microsoft they tend to make excuses for them or gloss over them like no big deal or its the price you pay for a great console. when you have a console preference you tend to either ignore all the bs they do or you pick at each thing. they lean more towards ignore.

For the record. . . my comments above are pertaining to cheapy's initial disinterest in the system, not his legitimate gripes regarding the lag, lack of online gaming on certain games, long load times etc..

I just wanted to give a quick thanks to Wombat for recommending Fairway Solitaire on the iPhone. Originally I didn't think it was going to be my try but I gave the trial a go then immediately brought the full game. Great fun and love the commentary on it. Hoping to get more good recommendations from you soon.

[quote name='lokizz']the 3ds started at 250 as well and not too many people complained about that then until the vita was said to launch at the same price. at that point it seemed like the vita could make some noise but then nin dropped the price of the 3ds and now everyone is making noise about how the vita is too expensive.

personally i wouldnt pay more than 99.99 for either since you know the 3ds is will a new version or 2 and im not interested in the vita. most people have issue with the constant bashing done on sony products by the shows mascots while when it comes to the glaring errors committed by microsoft they tend to make excuses for them or gloss over them like no big deal or its the price you pay for a great console. when you have a console preference you tend to either ignore all the bs they do or you pick at each thing. they lean more towards ignore.[/QUOTE]

Well my point was that the 3DS even dropped to 150 to really get the ball rolling, but even at the initial price point it had a market much wider than a brand new system. If I'm not mistaken the 3DS does play regular DS games?

I always loved Sony products, I think the Vita is awesome, but it's just stale because of the support in my eyes. If they had a wider market to penetrate a much more wide range of products could be made for it, I believe. I loved my psp to death before it died even though the selection was limited, it had all the games I wanted to play. I think catering to a profit creating audience and catering to the hardcore gamer(people that read up on games on forums and sites) is two different aspects especially now since mobile gaming is on everything. I saw Final Fantasy Tactics, one of my favorite games of all time, is now on the ipad. So again, I highly doubt it would have ever been put on a device that wasn't so widely spread. *shrug*

[quote name='mrx001']What should PSVita's price be compared to?Should it be compared to the 3ds or the ipod touch(16gb and up)?[/QUOTE]

honestly as much as it sounds too cheap, I think it should be closer to the 3DS since that is the main competitor of the Vita. It may be way more powerful and have so many othher features and what not, but that is really the main handheld competition for it. At least that's my take. I don't game on a handheld device that much any more, but if I had $180 disposable money just laying around and both the 3DS and the Vita were roughly around the same price, I would most definitely go for the Vita, personally. Now that there is a 100 dollar gap between them, it makes the decision a little harder to support something that has a really unknown future and throw in no backwards compatibility with the previous handheld system they had. So now they basically have to start from scratch again with a $100 or so gap to convince gamers or parents to put down. Sony has amazing technology. When you look at what the PS3 is capable of as a machine, it's amazing. The Vita is pretty insane as well, that screen it has is seriously the best mobile screen I have ever seen. Yet their execution is making sad pandas everywhere.

I personally would be way more inclined to buy a Vita if the games were much cheaper or the system itself was cheaper. I would be willing to roll the monetary dice a bit more than now where I kind of want to just wait a few years until it drops to PSP prices :/

I am really enjoying my Vita. Uncharted was pretty solid, amazing for a launch title. Lumines has taken most of my time and HSG/MVC3 both are really good games. I got 4 games for $120 and sold Uncharted once beaten. I like trophies but don't like having to search for collectibles that often.

I caved on the 3g and the 32GB memory card. I know black friday will have much better bundles but knowing that Bioshock and Call of Duty are coming out for this in addition to all my psp games and ps1 games eventually made this worthwhile. I knew I was going to get one as soon as I saw the second analog stick, that was the one thing I wanted on a handheld more than anything and sony got it right.

My biggest issue is why don't psp games like 3rd birthday use the 2nd analog. Does anyone know if I'm missing some update etc? Thanks!

[quote name='Phelmo']Just thought I'd throw it out there that you can press any old bar of soap into a new one and it will merge with it... Why would anyone pay more for it? Lmao[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was thinking this too. I've been doing this for years, I don't need a specially shaped bar free of sodium "laureth" sulfate (lol) to do it. I mean it's innovative I guess, but anyone with even the most basic ingenuity can and probably has already figured this out on their own.

[quote name='Thomas96']That's a good point, like with the PS3, Cheapy buys these [Sony] products, with the primary purpose of talking about it on the show, and he's not that interested in the product. Although with the Vita, some of his gripes are legitimate imo, as some of his gripes with the PS3 were legitimate... but a lot of it was just coming from a place of pure bias.[/QUOTE]

That’s a fair point, I think Cheapy feels an obligation to buy things to talk about or review that he knows he won’t enjoy. And when he doesn’t really have a use for the item, he isn’t going to come away with very good impressions of the device. Most of the audience probably expects him to talk about the new and shiny, but I wouldn’t mind if he (they) didn’t end up buying and talking about the Vita if it doesn’t fit their gaming preference. I have no interest in a Vita and I still haven’t been compelled enough by the 3DS titles to go out and pick one up. I’m waiting for the 3DS redesign (I think Wombat has said the same thing). Then again, I almost never understand the excitement about a system launch. You’re paying full price for everything, with very few titles available, most of which were rushed to meet the launch or are rehashes or ports. The appeal of holding that new device in your hands doesn’t amount to much.

Wombat perhaps the reason you didn’t like “Don’t Cut the Rope” Is because the game is called “Cut the Rope” and you’re supposed to cut the rope. I could see how it would be boring if you never cut the rope.

I think it’s an oversimplification to say that all the games on iphone/Android are junk and that’s why they are a dollar. There are a lot of more in depth experiences that range in price and there are a lot of direct comparisons where a game is more or less the same on Iphone/Android and the DS/PSP, and yet costs significantly more on the DS/PSP/3DS/Vita. I received Plants vs Zombies for free on my Android phone from the Amazon store, it’s normally $3 or so, and normally $20 on the DS. Ghost Trick is $10 on the ipad/iphone yet was a full $30 on the DS. The biggest drawback of the 3DS and Vita are the business models they are stuck in. They are stuck with expensive games with rigid pricing models. The mobile market is much more flexible than those old business models allow for.

[quote name='AshesofWake']Well my point was that the 3DS even dropped to 150 to really get the ball rolling, but even at the initial price point it had a market much wider than a brand new system. If I'm not mistaken the 3DS does play regular DS games?

I always loved Sony products, I think the Vita is awesome, but it's just stale because of the support in my eyes. If they had a wider market to penetrate a much more wide range of products could be made for it, I believe. I loved my psp to death before it died even though the selection was limited, it had all the games I wanted to play. I think catering to a profit creating audience and catering to the hardcore gamer(people that read up on games on forums and sites) is two different aspects especially now since mobile gaming is on everything. I saw Final Fantasy Tactics, one of my favorite games of all time, is now on the ipad. So again, I highly doubt it would have ever been put on a device that wasn't so widely spread. *shrug*

honestly as much as it sounds too cheap, I think it should be closer to the 3DS since that is the main competitor of the Vita. It may be way more powerful and have so many othher features and what not, but that is really the main handheld competition for it. At least that's my take. I don't game on a handheld device that much any more, but if I had $180 disposable money just laying around and both the 3DS and the Vita were roughly around the same price, I would most definitely go for the Vita, personally. Now that there is a 100 dollar gap between them, it makes the decision a little harder to support something that has a really unknown future and throw in no backwards compatibility with the previous handheld system they had. So now they basically have to start from scratch again with a $100 or so gap to convince gamers or parents to put down. Sony has amazing technology. When you look at what the PS3 is capable of as a machine, it's amazing. The Vita is pretty insane as well, that screen it has is seriously the best mobile screen I have ever seen. Yet their execution is making sad pandas everywhere.

I personally would be way more inclined to buy a Vita if the games were much cheaper or the system itself was cheaper. I would be willing to roll the monetary dice a bit more than now where I kind of want to just wait a few years until it drops to PSP prices :/[/QUOTE]

game pricing is definetly fucked up especially when you look at the price for physical media and dl games. i also dont like the fact you have to repay to play psp games you already own physical copies of for the vita.

[quote name='lokizz']game pricing is definetly fucked up especially when you look at the price for physical media and dl games. i also dont like the fact you have to repay to play psp games you already own physical copies of for the vita.[/QUOTE]

oh definitely. When my PSP was working I was looking at the online store and everything on there was almost DOUBLE what I would have paid for on Amazon. It didn't make any sense to me. Yes they did have the occassional game that dropped to a reasonable price or even lower, but it was so far and few in between. Especially for the sake or convenience, I would have liked to have more games on my psp so i could take everywhere instead of physical UMDs. Total white people problems type of thing, but still, I dunno. Even on the 360 the Games on Demand prices are ridiculous as opposed to what I can pay for in a retail store or Amazon. I don't get it...but alas.

Really scraping the bottom of the barrel for Vita complaints this week. Shipwreck's too stupid to read the screen, and somehow that's the hardware's fault? And Cheapy whine that it takes a minute to load the Netflix app? So, about as long as Netflix takes to load on a PS3, 360, Android tablet or Roku...? And one third the time it takes to load on my shitty old iPhone 3g?

Ship and Cheapie nailed it. Uncharted Vita is an inferior version. Can anyone afford to make a AAA console game on the Vita? Are we just going to get worse versions of Sony's 1st party stuff?

Nintendo is much better at taking its franchises and making something unique for its handhelds. Not a worse version of its console games. Nintendo also has a knack for repackaging its old console games for its handhelds.

Wombat got Cheapie to reveal the dirty little secret of iPhone games. They get a free pass because they are dirt cheap.

Sony should have made the Vita the handheld you play in front of the tv. And made the screen bigger for that purpose. And then made it start up and load super quick. Lately I have been jamming on the 3ds in front of the tv while the wife is watching something or while a game is on. I am starting to enjoy this way of gaming. It is easier to manage with kids and a wife and allows for more multi-tasking. I would love to have a bigger-screen in-front-of-the-tv handheld.

Wombat also scores with his "There is too much crap on the iPhone" line. Feel the same way. I tried to weed the bad stuff out by reviews but, again, the reviews aren't very discriminatory when you are talking about a $1 game. And sites listing the best games for the iphone list mostly the same games and also aren't very discriminatory.

How much of this smartphone/tablet game buying and playing experience is a novelty?

Not really sure why you guys didn't think David Jaffe wasn't an angry dude. He's the main guy behind Twisted Metal and God of War. If those games had an emotion behind them they would be angry. I have a feeling he might be the next Denis Dyack.

One possibility on the single copy of Vita games at Wal-Mart is that Wal-Mart is unhappy with Sony. As mentioned in past discussions of online game pricing (like the full games you can download at full price on 360 long after they have been discounted at retail) the retailers do not like it when a company sells their own products cheaper online than the retail price in stores.

And Sony has done this, making games 10% cheaper online than in stores (and you may avoid sales tax!). Wal-Mart may have decided that what's the point in stocking a lot of games if customers are just going to buy the games online anyway and thus not bought a lot of copies.

I still don't get what the mass effect 3 spoiler was.... anyone care to enlighten me?

*edit*
is this it?
is it the fact that you're going to be fighting cerberus?

[quote name='BlueRock']One possibility on the single copy of Vita games at Wal-Mart is that Wal-Mart is unhappy with Sony. As mentioned in past discussions of online game pricing (like the full games you can download at full price on 360 long after they have been discounted at retail) the retailers do not like it when a company sells their own products cheaper online than the retail price in stores.
[/QUOTE]

Walmart stocked the PSPgo, which was 100% download only, so I don't think that's the real issue. The margins are still there for walmart on the game software sales,accessories and PSN cards. And Walmart doesn't make anything off the software sales on Apple products either, although the margins on apple hardware are likely better than most video game hardware.

But this low quantity launch is strange for a new video game platform. At my local target, the supply of both hardware and software were surprisingly low....according the guy who runs the electronics section, they only got 5 Vitas and for most games they only got 6 or less copies...And this is in an area with a ton of college students. I wonder if Sony is just running inventory on the lean side due to financial considerations (ie, not to tie up too much cash in inventory that may not move quickly) or if this is on the retailer side with them being being more cautious after the fast drop off in demand after the 3DS launch or otherwise being warily of new $250 products in general in this market.

I don't really comment on the Cagcast but I will give my two cents in, I work at a Target in Chicago and received about 20 wifi only units and I think 8 3G models and more than enough game. This morning we were sold out of everything but a total of 6 games and even though I don't work in Electronics while walking the main aisle told 2 people we were sold out that were looking for one.

I have an iPod touch 32gb and a SE Xperia arc S and I've never been a hand held gamer nor did I ever use a Vita until I actually bought one and brought it home since I'm a huge fan of the Wipeout and Uncharted series. I had serious reservations on opening the unit but that worry quickly evaporated once I put UMvC3 and saw not only how beautiful it looked but how it played as well.

Now with that said I had no problem figuring out how to use the Vita after messing around for 10 mins trying different things so either Ship isn't all that smart or he's just not use to using touch interfaces. If you've had an iPod for sometime the Vita is not at all difficult to figure out, I did try to use the buttons first a couple of times but when that didn't work it felt natural when I simply tried the screen shifted my train of thought into touchscreen mode.

On the first day when I tried NEAR there were 25 individuals in a 1 mile radius, now I live near a Blue line stop here in Chicago so living quarters are limited, as of this writing there are 93 people near me with Vita's. My point is that at least here in Chicago it seems to be selling very well since the store I work in is a good 30 mins. from where I live and the fact that we were virtually cleaned out.

I have never been a handheld gamer but the Vita has certainly given me pause on that front, unlike Cheapy or Ship I decided to give it a real chance and it is an impressive piece of technology. The screen is beautiful and Netflix looks awesome on it, something that the iPod touch does not really do all that well. My view is that this machine is perfect for certain games that would never be practical to play on an iPod or Phone, FPS's, racing games, 3 person shooters, and most platforms suck on those devices because of the lack of controls and after giving them a shot for over 2 years won't download them unless they are free.

I tried the iPod touch games and they are not good at all if you need tactile feedback, Infinity Blade looks great but the game isn't all that deep not to mention is crap trying to play something like RAGE or Battlefield on that thing. $1 games aren't worth it if you hate them or don't truly enjoy them, on the other hand I'm not a fighting game enthusiast but I've been playing UMvC3 the most out of the 3 games I've bought and I still have yet to turn on my PS3 never mind my 360 since I don't pay for Live.

As other have stated Wombat seems to be the most open to things and the most level head of the 3, its a shame that Cagcast basically feels like an MS show in disguise thanks to Cheapy and Ship. Everyone has their opinons but when you constantly and consistently put down anything that isn't MS it eventually becomes annoying, again specifically Cheapy and Ship. In all honesty what the Cagcast needs is an individual that is a bit more open like Wombat, he is always being doubled team by 2 like minded individuals that clearly are "Xbots".

I may work retail but I'm taking my dental boards as my training is in dentistry, the day I get accepted in a GPR or advanced placement program I plan to write a book. One of things I plan to write about is being fed bs about individuals that claim to be open minded but really aren't. Cheapy and Ship can claim they aren't pro-MS but I've been listening to the show long enough that they are. The point being that if you aren't going to give things a fair shot just don't talk about them or better yet let Wombat review them as he tends to be much more level headed. You guys stated several times that others in the media and clearly gamers are overall happy with the device and yet can't connect the dots as to why you don't like the machine, here's a clue, it isn't made by MS.

[quote name='actripxl']
Now with that said I had no problem figuring out how to use the Vita after messing around for 10 mins trying different things so either Ship isn't all that smart or he's just not use to using touch interfaces. If you've had an iPod for sometime the Vita is not at all difficult to figure out, I did try to use the buttons first a couple of times but when that didn't work it felt natural when I simply tried the screen shifted my train of thought into touchscreen mode.

I have never been a handheld gamer but the Vita has certainly given me pause on that front, unlike Cheapy or Ship I decided to give it a real chance and it is an impressive piece of technology. The screen is beautiful and Netflix looks awesome on it, something that the iPod touch does not really do all that well. My view is that this machine is perfect for certain games that would never be practical to play on an iPod or Phone, FPS's, racing games, 3 person shooters, and most platforms suck on those devices because of the lack of controls and after giving them a shot for over 2 years won't download them unless they are free.[/QUOTE]

I prefer the experience that I get on the Xbox 360, yes, but I play every platform (except the PC). The fact that the Vita requires you to use the touch screen for something that could easily be done with a button (like menu navigation) is an example of poor UI design. Nintendo has given you the option to use buttons or touch interface for menus for the entire lifespan of the DS and 3DS. And I've bought a Vita since this episode. There are things I like about it and things that I'm going to be critical of, because Sony deserves both of those reactions to this product. I'm always going to be bias towards the things that give me the best experience. That's how we all are.

[quote name='shipwreck']I prefer the experience that I get on the Xbox 360, yes, but I play every platform (except the PC). The fact that the Vita requires you to use the touch screen for something that could easily be done with a button (like menu navigation) is an example of poor UI design. Nintendo has given you the option to use buttons or touch interface for menus for the entire lifespan of the DS and 3DS. And I've bought a Vita since this episode. There are things I like about it and things that I'm going to be critical of, because Sony deserves both of those reactions to this product. I'm always going to be bias towards the things that give me the best experience. That's how we all are.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you 100% Ship that it could be done with buttons and as I mentioned that my first instinct was to use them, but in the cast you were beginning to sound like the Irish guy from Gamespot that was basically nitpicking something and blowing things out of proportion. Again it could be done with buttons but if you or anyone has been using any iOS or Android device on a consistent basis it shouldn't be difficult to figure out, your statements made it sound as if its was extremely difficult. As stated earlier I work at Target in the mean time and when walking past electronics throughout the day I saw kids working that thing with no problem what so ever.

No product is perfect and as in the pervious paragraph they should allow you to use the UI with buttons (I know I would) but being critical and being overtly negative are 2 different things. I would prefer the buttons to be a bit bigger but its not something worth crying about when overall the machine is very nice.

Now as for the Pro-MS stance, I agree we all push what we cherish more, to me its more important to not have my money gouged and to be given great service, so for that I prefer the PS3 since I refuse to pay for Live. As gamers what we spend our money on dictates what other scheme companies will come up in the future to nicke and dime us, in the end this will only hurt those individuals that can't afford much.

Live is nice and better integrated than PSN but it is not worth paying for, remember you guys complain about Online Passes but Live in essence is the original online pass. Its hypocritical to say how it isn't right for gamers to pay to play online yet if you don't pay for Live you can't play ANY game on your Xbox used or new. That is where the bias comes in or at least the perception, in which perception is reality, because the fact is that if it wasn't a requirement to pay to play online on the Xbox most people wouldn't since other than online play there's really nothing worth paying for. I don't see the majority of people paying $40 a year just to have XGC and Party if regular chat was implemented on a Silver account.

Again your free to express your opinons but at least be consistant with the message, people notice when you guys pick and choose one thing over the other and giving MS much more favorable stances on almost everything, even when thinking about the repercussions would hurt gamers in the end.

Remember it was MS that instigated that games be $60, that has now led to EA pretty much charging $70 (Prothean DLC) for the complete version of ME3. MS started charging people to play online which is what led to online passes from companies wanting their share. People complain about $15 map packs but Halo started the trend in over charging for maps long before.

This is the problem with gamers, they give money to things without thinking what may come up ahead and then moan and groan without realizing that you reap what you sow.

Thank you for responding to my first post and I love listening to you guys.

As for the whole alleged 360 fanboy stuff, I see it how Shipwreck sees it. With only one caveat. All the game reviewers you see are full-time gamers. To a full-time gamer, spending $50 per year on Live is a minor issue. And once you pay, you might as well buy all your games on 360, right? I mean, all your friends are already there, right?

For a part-time gamer, the argument is flipped. Paying $50 for a year of Live when you only play a few games a year makes no sense. Even buying 3 months doesn't make sense when you only play a game for a few weeks (don't tell me to buy a month, the prices on 1 month of Live are a joke). In that way, I think the gaming press inadvertently is inadvertently biased toward a solution that appeals more to the hardcore gamer and somewhat excludes the casual gamer.

I saw the quicklook for the Vita Uncharted game and while I agree with Ship that it is silly that there is a Start button on the Vita and you can't start the game with it, that's peanuts compared to the tech demo junk in the game. I mean, if it were a great game, I wouldn't peep one bit about having to touch the screen to start the game, it wouldn't detract from my gameplay at all. But the balance beam crap or having to wipe dirt off objects you find? That's a whole different story.

I think Cheapy said a similar thing (about the iPhone), but this kind of thing always reminds me of what Roger Ebert said when people talk about movie length. "No good movie is too long and no bad movie is short enough." If you actually like a game, you're not going to complain about minor nits in it.

The problem is Cheapy, Shipwreck just don't like these Vita games (and thus for now at least the Vita). Then when trying to express it, they give justifications which, while surely accurate don't really express what their real problem is. Then the people who disagree with these items try to counter each one individually, not understanding that the problem with the game isn't the sum of these parts. If you successfully pick apart every problem Cheapy and Ship have with the Vita, you don't end up then proving the games are good.

Now, as to the games being junk, they're always junk. Most consoles are not the N64 or the Wii. They launch with lousy games. The 360 didn't take off because Perfect Dark Zero or Kameo was any good. The PS2 didn't take off because of Fantavision. And the DS was considered a silly gimmick until good games like Nintendogs came along for it. But while the current crop of games may not be any good, let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Simply don't buy a Vita until you find some games you want to play on it (and that may be never).

If I could ask just one thing of the CAGcasters, it would be this. Please stop measuring a console launch by looking at the inventory still on the shelves. This has two problems, first of all you don't know the supply levels. Just because you can find one doesn't mean no one is buying them.

The bigger problem is that if you only say a launch is a succes if the shelves are bare, then companies will artificially restrict supply so that shelves will be bare. They're already tempted by the Wii situation where it sold like hotcakes as long as there were lines, for a year. And then as soon as supply loosened up, no one wanted one anymore. They don't need any more encouragement.

Talking gaming console makers into restricting supply is not good for gamers, especially cheap ass ones. So please don't encourage them by equating availability with failure.

Hey guys,

I'm studying abroad in Prague(Czech Republic) for the semester. Just thought I would let you guys know that not only did I see PSP Vita's here, but someone was actually buying one the other day.

Walmart needs to step up its game

[quote name='bnl11311']My biggest issue is why don't psp games like 3rd birthday use the 2nd analog. Does anyone know if I'm missing some update etc? Thanks![/QUOTE]

Start the PSP game, hold your finger down on the front touchscreen. A menu will pop up and you can turn on bi-linear filtering and also adjust the controls to use the right analog.

I figured this week's show would be a Vita bash-fest from Ship and Cheapy.

I got the First Edition bundle and a 32 GB memory card, and all I can say is this device is awesome. I live in Seattle, and I've taken my Vita to work each day, and for the past 2 weeks since I got it, the numbers of people playing around me are increasing. Tonight, there were 124 people playing around my condo (within a 3 km radius).

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational is an amazing game. It is super addictive, they have a daily International tournament where you play 3 rounds of golf on different courses, some with different rules. Then your score is ranked with all the other people, and you win points to unlock more content in the "shop." You can pick up and play 9 holes while you're on the shitter at work, or you can sit in your living room, or in a coffee shop and play for hours.

Lumines is a great game too. Makes use of the touch controls.

I bought Hustle Kings on the PS3 a while back, and if you bought the PS3 version, you get the Vita version for free. I played it last night with a friend from Facebook; the controls are awesome, and I think I prefer the game on the PS Vita. The whole time we were both playing, we were chatting using the microphone that's on the Vita. Serious question, can you do that with a 3DS or iPhone? I know the 3DS you have to use the stylus, but does the iPhone have voice chat?

Anyway, it's sad you guys just don't get the appeal, but I think this system is the best handheld I have ever owned. Several publishers are giving you a PS Vita vita version game free if you buy the PS3 version; there's going to be more and more PSP content that you can play on the Vita; the touchscreen and gyroscope are very high quality. I think it's amazing that you can play wipeout cross-platform with people on the PS3 (it was a little clunky, but it can be improved with patches).

The Vita is cool, but Sony is not a religion. Cool it all you crazy kids.

I'm looking forward to the downloadable games like Motorstorm RC, but the full retail stuff is unproven. If they can for a full on multiplayer FPS like Battlefield or a compelling RPG like Skyrim on it, I'll be very excited. Until then, it's just another cool piece of kit with a limited launch library.

To keep it OT, what currently released games would make the Vita fully viable, in other words, what games would you most like to see released for it?

I have to say that I agree 100% with Cheapy. Why play an inferior version of Uncharted on a smaller screen with worse controls. I'd rather read a book or listen to some music on my phone. I'm not going to pay 250 + 50 + 50 = 350 dollars for the complete Vita package while my ps3 at home plays all similar games better.

[quote name='shipwreck']I prefer the experience that I get on the Xbox 360, yes, but I play every platform (except the PC). The fact that the Vita requires you to use the touch screen for something that could easily be done with a button (like menu navigation) is an example of poor UI design. Nintendo has given you the option to use buttons or touch interface for menus for the entire lifespan of the DS and 3DS. And I've bought a Vita since this episode. There are things I like about it and things that I'm going to be critical of, because Sony deserves both of those reactions to this product. I'm always going to be bias towards the things that give me the best experience. That's how we all are.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it was just a typo, but just in case.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090318090625AA1e4aX

bread's done
Back