CAGcast #278: The Donkey Kong Piano Room

[quote name='metallicoholic']I have 7600 points right now and not sure whether or not I should cash out or hold out for a possible announcement. Taking a look at the forums, it looks like I should just get what I can now and hope for the best.

I think the difficult part about writing an ending to a video game is that the audience is not as immersed as a TV show or movie. Video games can sometimes take multiple play sessions in order to finish, as opposed to something like a movie which is usually a one-sitting affair. I've never felt a strong connection to a game's story because the immersion is often broken up between days, sometimes even weeks or months. Therefore I never have much stake in a game's ending. I just like the satisfaction of completing the game.[/QUOTE]

Good luck trying to cash out that many points. Nothing above 200 points is available with a disc, all disc only.

I don't know much about dinner for schmucks, but the French Film it's based on, Le Dîner de Cons, it's amazingly hilarious. It would be great if you could do that for Watch This Bitches. In Fact, make that my official contribution to the segment.

Also, Cheapy, make your own omlettes. It's not that difficult.

On Suda/Cheapy:

[quote name='mrspicytacoman']hey cheapy, you think you can beat suda 51's ass?

I wonder what he thinks about your trash talkin[/QUOTE]

1. Cheapy could probably take Suda. Cheapy does occasionally mention that he's the standout big white guy in a crowd, so I think that's really no contest.
2. Suda probably doesn't care, or listen to this podcast. XP

[quote name='Tophat666']Ditto on that duder.

And Cheapy's is just Trolling so hard on Suda.[/QUOTE]

I think he's just doing it for fun now, especially after Wombat brought up my comment in last weeks' show feedback. It's all just funny now. XD

[quote name='4thHorseman']So Cheapy, did you say what Suda has done exactly to cause so much hate from you to come out?

If not, perhaps you should. It wasn't that long ago you were trying to get Wombat to explain the Tim Schaeffer douchebaggery...[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure Cheapy has nothing personal against him, but he is using information from those he knows working at Grasshopper, so I can certainly see him believing that Suda 1) isn't a great boss, or 2) doesn't have a big hand in creating his games for long. He went into his Suda opinion at the beginning of the last podcast, so I doubt he'll go back into it.

I still do believe that Suda does do his share of work, as the ideas are his creations, but as the CEO of Grasshopper, I would imagine that it's difficult to focus attention on any one games' development for very long. Especially considering that Suda travels a lot lately for his Lollipop Chainsaw promotions.

I'm also still interested in hearing more about the inner-workings of Grasshopper. Not just in regards to how much Suda does before moving onto other titles or his CEO responsibilities, but how many employees within the company work on any one game.

On Capcom's DLC Practices:

I find it hard to continue supporting Capcom with their recent views and practices for downloadable content; I don't mind their tactic for Asura's Wrath, as the new content is clearly an afterthought, and it's not terribly expensive (plus, the animation alone is worth it). However, their SFxT or SFIV practices are really pushing things too far. I can't support paying so much for content that's already there; I much prefer unlocking my content through gameplay when it's on-disc, as opposed to paying extra money just to be able to use it.

I hate to admit it, but EA/Bioware did it right in Mass Effect 3. Allowing for compatibility in the main code with From Ashes, while putting the heart of the content in a downloadable pack, is a fine way of being honest about downloadable content practices and delivery. Capcom's "compatibility" argument is dishonest since it's all on-disc anyways. Bioware has found a way to make things compatible without placing it all on-disc from the get-go. If they adapted the practice used for ME3, then their DLC plans may be a little less negatively received.

On Goozex:

I had no idea the site was being sold... a little disappointed, honestly; I would have liked to see the possibility that it could be somehow further incorporated into CheapAssGamer. I used the site for a couple of trades a few years ago, and loved how the service worked. I'd be happy to see the service continue, but I guess it's looking a little bleak... =/

If you guys hear anymore about it, keep us updated. Maybe you could all pitch in and buy it back for the site!

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the $150k was the upfront payment for Goozex owners. In the public filings I'm pretty sure I read that there was to be a stock ownership agreement of 15% of the stock going forward. I don't see a company like goozex going public on it's own but maybe somebody else can incorporate it into it's business. Then the original owners can cash out at a more fully valued price.

Mass Effect 3 PS3 collector's are everywhere still.

edit: it is pronounced Nah-jah-f

Great show this week! Wombat, I loved your blunt reaction to the ending of Mass Effect 3. I look forward to a spoiler filled discussion among the three of you in the near future. Perhaps in the next show you guys can discuss the trend 'games journalism' has taken in addressing the ending complaints. (i.e. throwing fans under the nearest bus, calling them whiners etc.) It shocks me how much the gaming press is coming out in defense of the ending. I can understand trying to take on the 'artistic integrity' angle, but even that is a bit ridiculous when considering a lack of thematic consistency.
WiiredShawn on neogaf put it best in my book:

If anything, the "artistic integrity" defense indicates that content creators want to imagine their work as more meaningful and permanent, but without any awareness of what constitutes artistic integrity in the first place. It is a guiding principle, not an impenetrable barrier; and I hope this situation will inspire a few developers to understand that being taken seriously as an artist means respecting the intelligence of your audience and honoring the themes embedded in your work. Neither of which Bioware accomplished with the ending.
Oh, and watch Drive, bitches! It's a great throwback to the 80's style.

Drive was boring as hell and had one of the worst soundtrack ever. Warning spoiler: There is only one good car chase and its in the movie trailer. The movie is not about sweet driving, but rather about the mob. Terrible waste of time, do not recommend it.

Great podcast guys

Oh I remember Drive with Mark Dacascos! It really should've been called Turbo Drive. However cheesy his movies are, the man's got skills in whoopin' ass.

Please Cheapy, keep using techno music for the start of the show. I often hear new songs here, which I immediately search for on youtube/itunes. So, please, don't listen to Wombat, and keep using the techno songs!

On Collector's Editions:
I bought the LittleBigPlanet 2 Collector's Edition because it included all the launch DLC. This meant the BestBuy preorder bonus was in there, the Amazon preorder bonus was in there, and the Gamestop preorder bonus was in there. On principle I don't preorder things when they split the DLC, and if there's no bonus to preordering, I'll wait until it launches and pick it up on sale.

Having Tai and Sabrina talk on the podcast never gets old, even if you're splicing in a audio file of a one-liner from them, always makes me smile.

bread's done
Back