CAGcast #279: Reapers Gonna Reap

[quote name='basston3s']Laughed as Wombat butchered my user name. Is it that hard? Bass-tones. like a bass guitar.

oh well. Pretty good show. Glad to hear feedback on Mass Effect 3. Can't wait for the spoiler discussion. Have you guys read up on the Indoctrination Theory? It's pretty interesting, and makes the ending tolerable. It's hard to believe it was intentional though. Check it out! *spoilers, obviously*

Indoctrination Theory

[/QUOTE]
I think it is an interesting theory also and would make for a better ending but it is still poorly executed and full of holes.
The reapers think that indoctrinating shepherd is so important that on earth the don't simply kill him and risk their own extinction yet on rannoch(tali's homeworld) they reaper has no qualms about trying to kill shepherd to stop him from liberating the geth. If the reapers are able to create such an elaborate illusion then why would the reapers be giving shepherd clues to the right choice? Even with the indoctrination view the whole 3 choice thing still ruins the approach, either a series of choice(like the rest of a the game) or being offered the three choices then doing something else would have made sense. Instead you are left with a choice that doesn't matter because you no longer have any emotional investment in the game.

I did any of the hosts romance tali? if so..
where you disappointed that they didn't render tali's face and that instead she leave's a photo of here face for you in your room which is just a stock photo of some chick from the internet with 2 of her fingers photoshoped off.

As for then ending ruining the whole game this game is more about the story than the game play. A game you play for the action having a bad ending doesn't really matter, but a story having a bad ending kind of ruins the whole story(I don't think anyone would be fans of starwars, OOoT, Chrono trigger,a tale of two cities ect... if their ending where this bad) if I had known the ending was going to be this bad I would have never played any of the games and if someone has never played any of the games I would recommend they skip the whole series.

Screw it, just gonna spoiler the whole thing since its about the me3 ending.
The problem with the red ending is that it also sucks. You'd be killing off EDI and exterminating the Geth who (at least in my game) Shepard risked her life to save rather than kill. Plus, it's just a snooze button until the reapers return. And the green ending turns you into Magneto from the first X-men movie: forced evolution for everyone! When the stupid kid started taking about organics and synthetics co-existing, I totally thought I was in the clear, given that Joker and EDI were in a relationship and the Geth and the Quarians were now working together. The game should've recognized that and allowed co-existence as an option if you had made those decisions earlier.

I really think that they just had the image of RoboJoker and EDI holding hands as a target for the ending, and they just threw together 3 shitty cinematics to get us to that point. If you check out the Ipad app "The Last Days of Mass Effect", you'll find out that Martin Sheen was recording the end dialog in November, well past the original release date. It certainly sounds like a rush job. But given that they were trying to produce a larger game + a new multiplayer component in a shorter timespan than ME2, I guess the whole thing was a rush job.

So for 3 games the Reapers have been telling us that in the end, all of Sheppard's actions don't really matter and when it happens, everyone throws a giant hissing fit.

Thanks for paying attention.

Sorry a lack of rainbows ruins a game for you.

Hey I forgot to put in my two cents when you guys were asking for feedback a couple of podcasts ago but here's my beef. You guys are irreverent, I get that. But sometimes you guys come across as out of touch with the rest of the world. Case in point, Prothy the Prothean is not Jamaican, he's nigerian and in no way sounds Jamaican. The fact that you guys don't know that is irritating beyond end. More annoying is that white guy does jamaican accent Cheapy keeps doing. By the way, black people listen to your show too, keep that in mind every once in awhile. Just my two cents.

I'm totally with Ship on the idea that ME2 was just so damned good and 3 is disappointing because it's just not as good.

Also you guys brought up Dragon Age II when talking about Bioware and ME3 and I think that's funny because you mentioned that DAII is pretty much loathed by all fans of anything Bioware. Thing is, what made everyone hate that game so much is a prominent part of ME3.

Dragon Age II felt like a rip because of the very limited areas you had to explore. The city was a rather boring central hub, areas were reused to a shameful degree, and over all it just felt like it wasn't put together with the love and care that their other games up to that point seemed to have.

In ME3 though all you have is the stupid citadel, I think though this is harder to latch onto perhaps because you are exploring an entire universe, constantly going through mass relays and whatnot, but the only places you visit other than the citadel are for missions. Just like DAII. Plus, the ending of the game seemed to steal all thunderous disdain from the other issues.

Also, I completely agree with Wombat about the citadel. That place becomes a total fucking chore. Half the time I have put into the game has been spent there just running around every square foot of that place making sure I over hear all the conversations I need to so that I can go on some bull shit fetch quest in some far off solar system. The citadel is a real cluster fuck that I think serves as nothing more than cheap filler to supplement the main quest. The most disappointing thing though is the "check the block" interactions that you have with your squadmates from ME2.

My disgust with the game is fueled even more by the fact that I am playing on PC and I can't DL the free multiplayer DLC because when I click the "buy" button nothing happens. And also, the code redeem utility within origin doesn't work either so I can't even get my preorder bonuses.

Anyone else playing on PC have this issue?

[quote name='shipwreck']I'm playing on the default difficulty and I've died either 2 or 3 times max. I'm 30 hours in and still using the same armor and sniper rifle that I started the game with. I did upgrade the rifle to Level 5 and attached whatever accessories to it I found. At least on the default difficulty the upgrades and need to switch armor and weapons seems trivial to me. I've never felt compelled to upgrade or switch anything, but there aren't enough fish and models in the game to blow all my money so I just end up spending it on stuff I don't care about or use.[/QUOTE]

Plus the N7 armor from the collectors edition had better stats than any of the other armor sets. The only positive I see from messing with the armor would be if you were an all biotic player, you could choose armor pieces that greatly increase recharge time and weight. Otherwise, no reason to buy any armor except for the achievement.

[quote name='Curufinwe']I'm not. Most of the press had their 9's and 10's ready before they even started playing the game. Here's one of the more obvious examples of a reviewer who blatantly ignores all of Mass Effect 3's faults.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/3/6/2847736/mass-effect-3-review[/QUOTE]

You must not have ever read or listened to any of Arthur Gies' opinions before. He's one of the most honest game "reporters" I've ever read. People complaining or being bored by the ending doesn't make any sense to me. My "ending" happened throughout the entire game. The quest with Wrex and Mordin? Great. Tali and Legion? Great. Miranda? OK but still badass. All of the Liara stuff? Romantic and great. Sacrifice at the end? For me? Great.

Sure going back to the Citadel was a chore. But if you hadn't gone back you would miss out on a fantastic sequence with Garrus and an amazing, insightful conversation with Jamaica...I mean Javik.

[quote name='Dr. Treye']Hey I forgot to put in my two cents when you guys were asking for feedback a couple of podcasts ago but here's my beef. You guys are irreverent, I get that. But sometimes you guys come across as out of touch with the rest of the world. Case in point, Prothy the Prothean is not Jamaican, he's nigerian and in no way sounds Jamaican. The fact that you guys don't know that is irritating beyond end. More annoying is that white guy does jamaican accent Cheapy keeps doing. By the way, black people listen to your show too, keep that in mind every once in awhile. Just my two cents.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for bringing that up! Although the way Cheapy does it, I think Arnold Schwarzenegger should be offended!

[quote name='usickenme']Sorry a lack of rainbows ruins a game for you.[/QUOTE]

What ruins a game is not lack of rainbows, but a lack of continuity. Pretty much every ending in Dragon Age was a bummer, but they all made sense and provided great resolution.

Speaking of paying attention, did you somehow miss that
you exterminated pretty much everyone in the galaxy when all the Mass relays exploded?

MAss effect spoiler alert:

Ok, at the very end of the game, after the credits, did anyone catch the final dialogue, it goes "Can you tell me another story about The Shepard?"
"Okay... Just one more..."

The dialogue implies that there is more mass effect story involving your character to be told, one way or another. Cheap yes, but i smell lots of DLC and a pretext to make more ME games.

[quote name='zebwinz']You must not have ever read or listened to any of Arthur Gies' opinions before. He's one of the most honest game "reporters" I've ever read.[/QUOTE]

I'm very familiar with Gies' work going all the way back to when he hitched a ride to the Rebel FM train in the aftermath of the 1up apocalypse. He's a guy who invents conspiracy theories about the rest of the gaming press when a game he doesn't like gets good reviews because he cannot ever admit to being wrong, and who makes up stuff about games to justify his preconceived opinions.

His Mass Effect 3 review isn't honest, it's a job application to Bioware.

[quote name='Curufinwe']I'm very familiar with Gies' work going all the way back to when he hitched a ride to the Rebel FM train in the aftermath of the 1up apocalypse. He's a guy who invents conspiracy theories about the rest of the gaming press when a game he doesn't like gets good reviews because he cannot ever admit to being wrong, and who makes up stuff about games to justify his preconceived opinions.

His Mass Effect 3 review isn't honest, it's a job application to Bioware.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a bit of a conspiracy theory yourself :)

I happen to enjoy and usually agree with Arthur's opinions but to each his own. I agree with some of the criticism but for me, it doesn't take away from the overall experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arthur always came off as an ass on the podcasts I listened to him on. Always "I don't know how anyone can like this game" and just spoke very matter of factly that he is right and everyone else is wrong. Always bugged the hell out of me and he's the main reason I save Rebel FM for last in my podcasts.

PLEASE put in the show notes, or even edit into the podcast itself, the exact time that the ME3 spoiler talk stops so that those of us who don't want to hear it can fast-forward to the point where it ends. Thanks!

"It's not good for the knees"

"Yeah that's why I don't do anything"

For some reason Cheapy's joke killed me ... although the awkward pause by everyone afterward also helped sell it

Despite what I think is a fun multiplayer game, I think the devs at Bioware put to much time into it and the single player suffered because of it. What was once my favorite single player experience got watered down with Horde Mode and Madden Ultimate Team packs no doubt because of an EA mandate about multiplayer

bread's done
Back