CAGcast #288: The Outstanding Mulk

People bitch about how shitty the ending is to ME3 then they bitch about the shitty ending not even being spoiled. Wombat was right, they didn't ruin anything for anyone.

Otherwise. Good show. And again ChrapyD makes me happy by his comments about Super 8. Thank you for reaffirming my faith in Cheapy.

Thanks for all the Lego Batman 2 talk. It's the most fun I've had with a game since Saints Row the 3rd. Kind of interesting how two games and the complete opposite end of the age spectrum can be so entertaining.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I know he fixed after most people had already downloaded it, but that still doesn't excuse the lack of foresight from Wombat and Cheapy for not recognizing that they were nonchalantly spoiling the game. Just saying you'll mention it, barely, in the description is basically doing nothing since most of us either don't read it or never see it when it comes to getting the show automatically when it's first released. The funny thing is that they were more concerned about spoiling Lego Batman 2's story than Mass Effect 3. I guess Shipwreck is the conscience of the group with stuff like this.

I'm working my way through Mass Effect 2 at the moment, so I've had a few things spoiled for me by podcasters that didn't respect their audience enough to give them a warning.

I think the reason there are haters about Cheapy's standing desk is that he was kind of high and mighty about it when he ordered it talking about the great health benefits it offered like it made him better than everybody else, so people naturally try to take him down a notch with their own opinions and facts.

My condolences to Shipwreck and his family.[/QUOTE]

You're seriously giving Cheapyd, for acting 'all high and mighty' isn't that your area of expertise? and about the Mass Effect mistake, it was a mistake, get over it.

[quote name='Mayday']You're seriously giving Cheapyd, for acting 'all high and mighty' isn't that your area of expertise? and about the Mass Effect mistake, it was a mistake, get over it.[/QUOTE]
Where was I giving him shit for the desk? I was suggesting a reason as to why some people may have been doing it, so go complain to the people that were actually complaining about it.

I'm giving my feedback on it so it hopefully never happens again since it's not a good thing to do to your audience. Next time I'll just thank them for unmarked spoilers for a game I'm going to play later this year since nobody's allowed to criticize the CAGcast anymore.

[quote name='bardockkun']Really, Cheapy? Really? Go into full talks of the ending for Mass Effect 3 without saving it to the end or giving spoiler alert notification, instead opting for first 25 minutes? Could've at least said "We're going into spoiler territory now so fast forward!" or save it to the end like you normally do with roundtable discussions, but you just goddamn go for it instead of what I thought was just going to be general feeling or consensus without dwelling too deeply into it. Really?

After that I was done with this episode (26:53 in). I'm CAG so I was hoping to play the game when it's on the cheap and judge the ending when no one else is talking about it everywhere...Instead, yeah.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but I don't get this bitching. You know you haven't played Mass effect 3, You know they are going to talk about Mass Effect 3, Wombat says ' Let's talk about Mass Effect 3 now'...are your arm tied when you are listening? How hard is it to remove your headphones and skip ahead (even if you have to guess)?

I see Cheapy added spoiler tags but you can't expect the world to revolve around the fact that you haven't played the game yet.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
I'm working my way through Mass Effect 2 at the moment, so I've had a few things spoiled for me by podcasters that didn't respect their audience enough to give them a warning.
.[/QUOTE]

Huh, complaining about spoilers in a 16 month old game? Sorry that is one you, Hoss.

Cheapy and Wombat:

I watch NFL Redzone channel and check the stats on my iPad. Redzone is great, all action and no commercial.

[quote name='usickenme']Sorry but I don't get this bitching. You know you haven't played Mass effect 3, You know they are going to talk about Mass Effect 3, Wombat says ' Let's talk about Mass Effect 3 now'...are your arm tied when you are listening? How hard is it to remove your headphones and skip ahead (even if you have to guess)?

I see Cheapy added spoiler tags but you can't expect the world to revolve around the fact that you haven't played the game yet.
[/QUOTE]
Because usually when they do discuss an ending to a game in depth they save it to the very end of the podcast. At best they usually tend to be vague and discuss small details, but never full blown right in the beginning. They've even had this discussion on when is it NOT a big deal to non nonchalantly discuss an ending to a game and the agreement was one to two years (I Think this came after some random poster spoiled the ending of Heavy Rain for Cheapy when it first came out).

Like it was stated earlier, no one who downloads it is going to see the spoiler tag and even time after time has shown, they always save a big discussion about it to the end. This was not the case.

[quote name='usickenme']Huh, complaining about spoilers in a 16 month old game? Sorry that is one you, Hoss.[/QUOTE]
Since I wasn't talking about them spoiling ME2 in this episode, I'm not sure why you jumped on the assumption that it happened just now. It's actually happened throughout the past two years since the major story DLC for ME2 started coming out. It's easy to ignore/skip dedicated spoiler segments like I do whenever it's happened, but not when it's done without warning like what Cheapy and Wombat did. The entire point of that comment was to suggest that they should be better than most other podcasts are about spoilers.

The ME3 conversation starts out with them just talking about the DLC without any specifics before they start going into details, so not having any warning is an issue. Then they talk about Lego Batman 2 a bit later and give people the courtesy of a spoiler warning just in case that matters to anybody.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Since I wasn't talking about them spoiling ME2 in this episode, I'm not sure why you jumped on the assumption that it happened just now. It's actually happened throughout the past year since the major story DLC for ME2 started coming out. It's easy to ignore/skip dedicated spoiler segments like I do whenever it's happened, but not when it's done without warning like what Cheapy and Wombat did. The entire point of that comment was to suggest that they should be better than most other podcasts are about spoilers.

The ME3 conversation starts out with them just talking about the DLC without any specifics before they start going into details, so not having any warning is an issue. Then they talk about Lego Batman 2 a bit later and give people the courtesy of a spoiler warning just in case that matters to anybody.[/QUOTE]

I actually didn't jump to any assumption..you were pretty clear. Still seemed like you were complaining about spoiling an old ass games (by other shows) . And my point still stands. You know you haven't played game X, they start talking about game X (in any capacity), just stop listening. It's not hard, I've done it more time than I can count. I usually listen to show while I'm running and takes more effort complain about it in a post then to take out the headphones even while exercising. I am not sure what people have to gain by listening a little. The only hard part is knowing when it's okay to jump back in. But for some games, I'd rather miss a show than spoil anything. That's not to say getting a warning isn't a nice courtesy but lots of things are nice.

and the guy who burps loudly in every episode is supposed to be better than other shows?

[quote name='usickenme']I actually didn't jump to any assumption..you were pretty clear. Still seemed like you were complaining about spoiling an old ass games (by other shows) . And my point still stands. You know you haven't played game X, they start talking about game X (in any capacity), just stop listening. It's not hard, I've done it more time than I can count. I usually listen to show while I'm running and takes more effort complain about it in a post then to take out the headphones even while exercising. I am not sure what people have to gain by listening a little. The only hard part is knowing when it's okay to jump back in. But for some games, I'd rather miss a show than spoil anything.

and the guy who burps loudly in every episode is supposed to be better than other shows?[/QUOTE]
So now you're talking about Mass Effect 3 or is it still 2? It's as much of an issue to talk about the specifics of ME3's ending without warning a few months after launch as it would be for the specifics of ME2's ending a few months after its launch.

There was nothing wrong with the discussion at first, especially with the lack of spoiler warning to suggest anything else would happen, but when they started going into detail, I skipped it. Nowhere did I say I listened to the entire thing. So I made sure to post my thoughts because that's the entire point of a discussion regarding this specific episode. I'm hoping that it gets them into the habit of giving us the common courtesy of a spoiler warning next time. Just letting it go isn't the best way to handle it.

People also complain about the burping and all that other stuff, so people obviously expect them to be better than that.

While the spoiler warning is a "better safe than sorry" type of thing, I really didn't hear much in there that was too bad anyway. So anyone who listened to it isn't really going to get too much ruined. There was maybe one thing, but even that is up for debate in at least one of the endings (unless they changed that with the new stuff - I haven't seen the new endings).

Anyway, regarding PAX: I'm going. I'll pretend to be Wombat on the panel ;).

The CAGcast sold a copy of LEGO Batman 2. Hearing you guys talk about the game got me excited for it. I went out and picked up a copy Saturday. First LEGO game I've played since LEGO Star Wars II.

[quote name='bardockkun']Really, Cheapy? Really? Go into full talks of the ending for Mass Effect 3 without saving it to the end or giving spoiler alert notification, instead opting for first 25 minutes? Could've at least said "We're going into spoiler territory now so fast forward!" or save it to the end like you normally do with roundtable discussions, but you just goddamn go for it instead of what I thought was just going to be general feeling or consensus without dwelling too deeply into it. Really?

After that I was done with this episode (26:53 in). I'm CAG so I was hoping to play the game when it's on the cheap and judge the ending when no one else is talking about it everywhere...Instead, yeah.[/QUOTE]

First, condolences to Shipwreck.

Second, thanks for pointing this out so Cheapy could fix it, but if I could ask, what price are you waiting for? GS has had ME 3 on two seperately occasions for $30 new/$28 used since April and will have it at that price again later this month with their summer sale. If you hate GS, you could go to BB or WM & price match.

To Frisky, how old does a game have to be in your eyes before you don't warn about spoilers in your eyes? Just curious as I've had to deal with that topic in the past and I think 12 months since release is an adequate amount of time.

[quote name='saunderscowie']I was thinking about discussion about gaming PCs and I think if Wombat were to even look into getting one he should consider the Alienware X51

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-x51/pd.aspx.

I know it's not as powerful as a custom build, and you probably won't be able to run games max like Cheapy / Ship, but for the size and price they seem good.[/QUOTE]

There are lot of smaller gaming pcs that can do everything a big tower can if space is a concern, including the highest end gaming cards, or two in SLI, as much RAM as you want, plus the highest end processors. You can even get pc form factors that are designed for the home theater, Cheapy and Shipwreck keep talking about these pcs as if the large size is a requirement and makes a pc not useable in a living room. There really is no need to get a giant pc for gaming, especially since I think both Cheapy and Shipwreck mentioned that they are using watercooling. Even small pcs can fit a few hard drives and there isn’t much need anymore for a ton of expansion bays. People really only go with larger towers if they are really trying to maximize air flow through the case.

Also Cheapy, quit trying to dissuade Wombat from reading/ listening to Game of Thrones. The show is amazing mostly because they are following some amazing source material, and although they follow pretty faithfully, you do miss out on a lot of detail by only watching the show. There is only so much that can be fit into 10 1-hour episodes of what is a 35-40 hour book (audio version). Wombat can still watch the show after he finishes the book.

[quote name='MSUHitman']
Second, thanks for pointing this out so Cheapy could fix it, but if I could ask, what price are you waiting for? GS has had ME 3 on two seperately occasions for $30 new/$28 used since April and will have it at that price again later this month with their summer sale. If you hate GS, you could go to BB or WM & price match.[/QUOTE]

I'm waiting for $10 or so and maybe even a complete version with all the DLC. I still haven't played through ME2.

[quote name='MSUHitman']First, condolences to Shipwreck.

Second, thanks for pointing this out so Cheapy could fix it, but if I could ask, what price are you waiting for? GS has had ME 3 on two seperately occasions for $30 new/$28 used since April and will have it at that price again later this month with their summer sale. If you hate GS, you could go to BB or WM & price match.

To Frisky, how old does a game have to be in your eyes before you don't warn about spoilers in your eyes? Just curious as I've had to deal with that topic in the past and I think 12 months since release is an adequate amount of time.[/QUOTE]
Twelve months without DLC. And with story DLC, I'd say at least until they're done with it since there's the likelihood of people waiting for the inevitable GOTY edition for most of those games. It's never a bad idea for podcasters to play it safe with story-heavy games though.

I did mess up the release date of the first major story DLC for ME2 since that was two years ago and not one, so that started about six months after launch.

All I'm asking for is the common courtesy of a warning next time and I don't think that's asking for too much for a game that's been out for four months.

I also don't get the "it's not that severe of a spoiler, so stop complaining" thing that people say. If it's a spoiler, it's a spoiler.

[quote name='MSUHitman']
Second, thanks for pointing this out so Cheapy could fix it, but if I could ask, what price are you waiting for? GS has had ME 3 on two seperately occasions for $30 new/$28 used since April and will have it at that price again later this month with their summer sale. If you hate GS, you could go to BB or WM & price match.[/QUOTE]
I Figure $15 range or so. Since by then any story specific DLC should be released or coming soon. I Kinda enjoy putting all my time into a game all at once as opposed to play now and then wait a few months then play again and be kinda lost. Plus after Mass Effect 2 I'm doubtful we'll get a version with all the DLC so I'm not making same mistake in waiting for something that never happened with ME2.

Though the wild card of throwing off that time frame is @Gamer magazine coupons.

Sorry Ship, had the same thing happen 3 months back. I wish you well.

Personally, I have no investment in ME3 DLC spoiler so I'll just play devils advocate. Big props to CheapyD, he fixed the podcast spoiler fast. I DL the show from the front page so I never got the version w/o spoiler warning. He made a minor mistake and fixed it fast, I applaud him.

Wombat during the show, however, said during or after the ME3 DLC discussion that "the game has been out for a few months or so" to paraphrase. Ya so? The DLC *just* came out and not everyone youtubes endings. And "a few months" still isn't long enough to spoil games freely. We are Cheapassgamers, we wait for the deals.

I believe Heavy Rain still has a no spoiler rule, right? If not, I think it should. It's over 2 years old, but certain games and movies deserve respect no matter the age. Sixth Sense, Fight Club, etc. Sure almost everyone has seen them but why ruin it for anyone else. Do I care if you spoil an unlockable character in Lego Batman 2? No. Do I care if you spoil an ending or added ending to a blockbuster trilogy that is heavily story based? Yes.

That said, CheapyD acted fast and I have no issues with CAGcast #288. Sorry Ship couldn't be there, but the duo were still great.

Finally got to listen to this show today after downloading the faulty podcast last Friday and not realizing it had been fixed until after I got through with work. I was elated to hear my name mentioned in regards to LEGO Batman 2, which my wife and I have put 27 hours into. That's not even messing around with the world, that's just collecting all the different items/characters/vehicles. We still have about 40 gold bricks left to collect, too.

While I agree with Wombat that Superman/Justice League should have been introduced into the story earlier, the game is still called LEGO Batman. Personally I am hoping for a LEGO Justice League game rather than a third LEGO Batman. Although there are a ton of characters in this game, I could do without the plethora of Batman villains that were already featured in the previous game and hope that the next game will feature a wider variety of heroes and villains from the DC universe.

In regards to the Games on Demand sale that was briefly mentioned, I have to wonder what people's Xbox 360 setups are like at home that getting up off the couch to change out a disc is too much work but turning on the Xbox and TV isn't. Personally I have to get up to get the controller to turn on the system anyway, so getting a game at that point really isn't much of an inconvenience. Does everyone else just have their controllers and remotes strewn about their couch for easy access?

[quote name='metallicoholic']

In regards to the Games on Demand sale that was briefly mentioned, I have to wonder what people's Xbox 360 setups are like at home that getting up off the couch to change out a disc is too much work but turning on the Xbox and TV isn't. Personally I have to get up to get the controller to turn on the system anyway, so getting a game at that point really isn't much of an inconvenience. Does everyone else just have their controllers and remotes strewn about their couch for easy access?[/QUOTE]

I don't necessarily think it is a matter of getting up off the couch and walking to the 360. I have a lot of still sealed games for nearly all the consoles and handhelds in my office or on shelves, or, frankly, buried under piles. Sometimes it is just easier to play a game already on the system than to dig around and find something on a disc ;). I'm not sure if that was Wombat's issue, but I'm sure a lot CAGs have this "problem".

[quote name='io']I don't necessarily think it is a matter of getting up off the couch and walking to the 360. I have a lot of still sealed games for nearly all the consoles and handhelds in my office or on shelves, or, frankly, buried under piles. Sometimes it is just easier to play a game already on the system than to dig around and find something on a disc ;). I'm not sure if that was Wombat's issue, but I'm sure a lot CAGs have this "problem".[/QUOTE]
I don't think people have to have physical or mental problems to be interested in buying games for $5.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I don't think people have to have physical or mental problems to be interested in buying games for $5.[/QUOTE]

Wow, way to take what I said and twist it into something bizarre. It had absolutely nothing to do with $5 games. I was talking about Wombat's comment in the show that he just wanted to play something already on his console instead of going to get the disc for another game and put it in the system. metallicoholic was saying that there isn't much difference between playing something on the HD and putting a disc in and I was saying that sometimes there is a difference. It wasn't a matter of being interested in buying games for $5 but choosing to play those (or anything else already on the console) over one you have in a still-sealed game case after a long day of work because of the convenience factor ;).

[quote name='io']Wow, way to take what I said and twist it into something bizarre - but you seem to be getting good at that recently. It had absolutely nothing to do with $5 games. I was talking about Wombat's comment in the show that he just wanted to play something already on his console instead of going to get the disc for another game and put it in the system. metallicoholic was saying that there isn't much difference between playing something on the HD and putting a disc in and I was saying that sometimes there is a difference. It wasn't a matter of being interested in buying games for $5 but choosing to play those over one you have on disc after a long day of work ;).[/QUOTE]
I was adding to the response to the other guy that thought that those interested in the sale were people that were too lazy to get up and put a disc into their system instead of realizing that the games were so cheap that you didn't need a mental or physical issue to be interested in them.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I was adding to the response to the other guy that thought that those interested in the sale were people that were too lazy to get up and put a disc into their system instead of realizing that the games were so cheap that you didn't need a mental or physical issue to be interested in them.[/QUOTE]

Well, that would have been more clear if you had responded to his quote ;).

As for the GoD, I bought a few for my son and as expected he got bored with them after a few minutes and went back to Halo Reach and Minecraft. Oh well, they were dirt cheap and I bought them with dirt cheap MS points so in effect I probably paid just $1 or $2 for each one. I sitll want to try Tornado Outbreak myself though.

Getting back more on topic with this week's show, I find it interesting both Cheapy and Wombat are so into the new Lego Batman game. This is actually the first Lego video game I have very little interest in. And it is pretty much for all the reasons Wombat likes it. I, personally, have never been into comic books and all these spin-offs and movies just drive me nuts. So, to me, the characters are not interesting at all. Though I have to admit Cheapy got me a little bit interested in it when he mentioned the original Superman movie music. I do have fond memories of those movies simply because I saw them when I was young (though I'm sure if I watched them now they'd be horrible). So I will probably still get this game when it falls to $15-$20 as all these Lego games inevitably do - but I'm in no rush whatsoever to get it while it is still $50. However, Lego LOTR I will probably preorder. My backlog of just Lego games is starting to get to be too much though - still have to finish off PotC, and play through both Harry Potter games ;).

Your talk of pc gaming has convinced me to splash the cash early next year for one. I'm in Germany so I have to work out how to get an English language one shipped here for as little as possible.

[quote name='j-fever']Sorry to be on a tangent but..[/QUOTE]

This thread is in dire need of a tangent.

[quote name='j-fever']Sorry to be on a tangent but..

Is this article on Living expenses in Tokyo reasonably accurate?

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-outrageous-cost-of-living-in-tokyothe-most-expensive-city-in-the-world-2012-6?op=1

I have a friend who is considering moving there with his Wife from the US.[/QUOTE]

Seems like a series of unfair comparisons to me, like when car commercials compare random stats to other cars that are their competitors (EG this ford truck has more cargo space than the toyota, more torque than the chevy, more mud-flaps than the nissan).

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/city_result.jsp?country=Japan&city=Tokyo That site shows cost of living indexes, where 100 is the average cost of living. Any score below 100 indicates that expense is cheap compared to the rest of the world, anything above is more expensive.

Sub-tangent-tangent.

I think Cheapy should lay-off hassling Wombat about not watching Game of Thrones while he's reading the book. I'm doing the same thing, the books are very well written. When I'm going to consume the same media twice, I'd rather enjoy the original medium first. I prefer to have the author/creator's original perception of the story. It's not about the reader's imagination being better than HBO, it's about understanding all of the intricacies of the story.

I thought it was common knowledge that Tokyo is one of the most expensive places to live on Earth. I have several friends who made the jump from Hawaii and LA to Tokyo, and they have said that, in comparison, everything in Tokyo is ridiculously expensive.

DirecTV's player tracker 'app' is pretty good and updates quickly.. you can input two teams.. so you can input your opponent's team as well.. and keep track that way.

It's a bit barebones and doesn't have as many customization features as I'd like.. but it's there

And these hosts wonder why people think that they are biased towards the Xbox. I'm not even through the full episode and two things really stuck out. One, when Cheapy was answering a question about whether his console gaming has suffered since getting a new PC. Not once did he mention his PS3. It was just 'Yeah, I haven't turned on my Xbox in a few weeks.'
Then when they were discussing LEGO Batman 2 Wombat mentioned that he had experienced a few freezes. Cheapy chimed in saying that he heard that the 'console versions' were having issues. Hmm, apparently there is only one console because the 360 version is the only one having issues. Just Google it. Freezing abounds on 360 but none on PS3. Now if it was the PS3 version that was freezing (not that either of those guys ever play anything but exclusives on their PS3s even when there are plenty games where the PS3 version is superior) they would've spent ten minutes sitting on the PS3.

I also loved how Cheapy glossed over Wombat's comment about PS+ but rambled on for 15 minutes about the shitty new apps on the Xbox dashboard and how 'clever' the stupid chained deal was. Give me a break.

Oh, and yeah, I have three Xboxes and three PS3s in my house. I'm not biased either way. It just annoys me when these guys complain about the flak they get when it's obviously well deserved.

bread's done
Back