CAGcast #294: Wombat, Expert Marksman: The Unorthodox Jew

What's wrong with someone liking a documentary? There are some great documentaries out there, just some simply phenomenal ones. Cheapy if you haven't got the chance you should really check out "The Cove". Even people who don't like documentaries I could see being fascinated.
Heck there's a documentary on a specific typeface called "Helvetica" which is suppose to surprisingly be good.

Oh yes, wombat the magical Ashkenazi Jew. Chuckles.

Cheapy when are you going to talk about how more and more Japanese are worshipping you as the reincarnation of Buddha? ;-)

I recently watched With Great Power: The Stan Lee Story. It is currently on Netflix and I really enjoyed it. Check it out if you have a chance, good stuff.

Darksiders 2 is starting to gain my attention. Hearing about it from ShipWreck makes me want to check it out. That magic word "loot" has me interested.

Dissapointing to hear that XBOX Summer of Arcade is not as worthwhile as its been in the past. I had high hopes for Deadlight but have heard its not as amazing as i had hoped for. Now with Hybrid having these tech issues it seems the promotion has lost all of its steam. From the trailer it seems very interesting but im still confused on what kind of gameplay to expect.

I would love to be included in the giveaway for Hybrid so please include me.
Thanks guys, love the show.

Great show as always guys!

Cheapy I was wondering do you plan on picking up the Phoenix Wright Movie when it comes out aug 22??

Fantastic show, as I write this from my iPad I realize how much of a apple whore I am just like Cheapy....time go to check macrumors again.... (P.S. would love that copy of Hybrid)

My problem with Cheapy and his Apple obsession is the fact that he treats all Apple products like they're the most amazing devices ever created and nothing could ever be close to them. And he'll never realize they're not because he won't ever consider buying anything else.

Apple products are just like Call of Duty games. A new one comes out each year, with very little changes, while still remaining the overpriced and overhyped things that manage to sell millions because of the brand name attached to them. And Cheapy buys both every year.

I'm looking forward to darksiders 2. I loved the first one, to me it was a zelda clone but with cooler/more fighting! You might want to check it out Ship, I played some of the 2nd one and felt it was the 1st but better which says a lot.

Hybrid. Please.

I'll also be waiting for Persona to come down. If there was footage on giantbomb I'd just watch it there like I did for P4.

I'd also like to enter for a Hybrid code please.

Keep the Apple/PC talk balanced. It's easy to get carried away, as I love my Apple products too. Just keep in mind there are reasons people would want and Android/PC/MS Surface etc, just like there are reason someone would prefer an Apple product.

Great show as always!

[customspoiler=Hybrid]
By the way this is my entree for Hybrid.

[/customspoiler]

I have loved your show since I first started listening around episode 40 or something like that. In any case I never stop by and let you know just how entertaining your show is. I always look forward to the next CAGcast and after all this time I'm still learning more and more about you all. Wombat a competitive rifle shooter? Who knew? While I totally disagree with him when it comes to the physical mechanics of shooting (always hold your breath) I really love the perspective that you all bring to the table. So Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck, thank you for taking time out of your days to entertain us. I thoroughly enjoy what you all do for us.

Now gimme that free Hybrid code....actually don't, I'll never play it.....

Not sure what all this Apple vs. PC stuff is about. He works with Mac products and plays with PC products. Who gives a shit what platform he uses for what?

Also, Apple products are so much better then PC crap.

[quote name='miqspot']Not sure what all this Apple vs. PC stuff is about. He works with Mac products and plays with PC products. Who gives a shit what platform he uses for what?

Also, Apple products are so much better then PC crap.[/QUOTE]

That's really the thing. If you look at the products the three of us own we pretty much have everything covered besides Windows Phone and maybe Android phones. I say maybe because we all own Kindle Fires. I know it's not the same as an Android phone, but we only need one phone and we're happy with our iPhones. Among us we own Macs, PCs, iPhones, iPads, Netbooks, Kindles, Xbox 360s, PS3s, Wiis, Vitas, 3DSes, Apple TVs, OnLive Consoles, and probably a bunch of other devices I'm forgetting.

We talk about the stuff we are currently using most. We're using that stuff the most because we enjoy it.

Yeah last thing we need is for the CaGcast to talk about products they don't use as if they are great. RAther here their opinion as it is no matter how wrong it is. :p

I'm not finished with it, but...

382177.png

I'm thinking the Russians need to get some propaganda vans of their own and then they can fight it out twisted metal style.

Down for a Hybrid code - thanks.

Great episode guys! Looking forward to next week, and I am not opposed to Wombat+Ship doing an episode while Cheapy is on vacation.

Don't want a Hybrid code

"Crows and ravens are migratory birds and therefore protected by federal law. Unless one has a federal permit (these are difficult to obtain), it is illegal, a criminal offense, to keep a crow or raven. "

[quote name='miqspot']Not sure what all this Apple vs. PC stuff is about. He works with Mac products and plays with PC products. Who gives a shit what platform he uses for what?

Also, Apple products are so much better then PC crap.[/QUOTE]

My laptop with a desktop CPU that can likely do 1080p video encoding and has a Blu-ray drive says hi and is laughing at you. Especially since it cost the same as a base Macbook Pro with mobile processor and NO option for a Blu-ray drive.
Adobe Premiere is a pretty good piece of software which I plan on buying, may even buy the Master Suite since I can use it for freelance work and buy at student price. You can't do the same with FinalCut Pro if you bought a student version. I also heard someone say it was watered down.

[quote name='AvidWriter']"Crows and ravens are migratory birds and therefore protected by federal law. Unless one has a federal permit (these are difficult to obtain), it is illegal, a criminal offense, to keep a crow or raven. "[/QUOTE]

Better travel back to the 1950's and let my dad know.

Good show..

Please bring back the "iphone segment" that you used to have.. im sure you guys still play iphone/ipad games...

Last edited by a moderator:
For years, my opinions of games have pretty closely matched those of Shipwreck. However, I really enjoyed Wreckateer and Deadlight. I'm also not ashamed to say I loved the new Total Recall! I grew up on all those 80's action movies and I don't think they would work nowadays. The cheese factor was so high in those movies but those same types of one-liners wouldn't fly today.

And what's wrong with a movie with all action? The fight scenes were awesome and well choreographed. Kate Beckinsale and Jessica Biel fighting is worth the price of admission! One long chase movie? Ronin was pretty much all chase scenes, so was the first Bourne movie and those were both awesome!

Also, I would love a Hybrid code!

I laughed out loud when Shipwreck started arguing the semantics of a trick shot and a good shot with Wombat. I also had a great time watching Cheapy play Slender on Twitch, especially when he fell over at the end. Also, Hybrid.

I'm pretty sure if Counter-Strike GO was ready for release on August 21 that it would've been ready to go a week or two earlier if they were allowed into the pearly gates of the Summer of Arcade. The time between submission and release for XBLA games is long enough that any game that comes out within a month of Summer of Arcade probably could've been switched in without much issue. It would be a good idea for Microsoft to have used that Friday slot to release another game each week so that the underwhelming releases weren't the only thing they offered each week, which could be used for a second tier of highlighted releases or just the rest of the crap they want to push out with the usual amount of promotion.

There was a tweet where Eric Pope, community guy for Harmonix, was joking about passing on Summer of Arcade so that Wreckateer could have the slot, which was more of a jab at Dave Lang than anything serious. I find it interesting when third-parties are willing to sacrifice their multiplatform audience to try to bump one of them up for something like Summer of Arcade, as it's kind of shitty move and it can be compounded if they rush the game out to capitalize on it like the Lara Croft game.

Finally caught up with the last episode. Great show as always.
CheapyD, regarding your iMac: Have you tried cleaning out the air-vents at the bottom and on top of the iMac. Over time quite a bit of dust can accumulate and get stuck in the vents which inherently will reduce the air-flow. This could be the cause of the iMac always running hot.
If this doesn't help and applications still crash... I would suggest:
1. Backup your important files
2. Prepare a usb stick with a Mac OSX Mountain Lion Image
3. Insert the usb stick
4. Reboot the iMac while holding down the alt key
5. Select the usb stick --> it will start the Mountain Lion installer
6. From the tools menu select the Disk Utility --> Erase the harddrive
7. Install Mountain Lion :)

Kind Regards
Chris

[quote name='Sarang01']My laptop with a desktop CPU that can likely do 1080p video encoding and has a Blu-ray drive says hi and is laughing at you. Especially since it cost the same as a base Macbook Pro with mobile processor and NO option for a Blu-ray driven[/QUOTE]

no one cares.

I think that assuming that people care more about gamerscore than about PS trophies/level is a pretty ignorant assumption. If you're just talking personally, then fine. But it sounded like Cheapy was saying that PS trophies don't matter as much as gamerscore, which is BS since they both are equally arbitrary numbers that barely matter and yet are all-important (depending on if you care about achievements or not). I personally prefer PS3, so trophies are better IMO. But that's just me. I don't think that gamerscore is more or less "important."
Yes, this is a SUPER SERIOUS matter!

Oh, and I downloaded the War of the Roses beta, but I can't play it. The server browser only pops up one server at a time (even though I can tell there's more since refreshing brings up a different one), but I can't connect in any feasible way. I can't click on the server, I can't hit enter, etc. I just sit at the server browser and can't do anything, aside from going back to the menu, so I gave up. I don't even know what type of game it is.

[quote name='Hanafubuki']Finally caught up with the last episode. Great show as always.
CheapyD, regarding your iMac: Have you tried cleaning out the air-vents at the bottom and on top of the iMac. Over time quite a bit of dust can accumulate and get stuck in the vents which inherently will reduce the air-flow. This could be the cause of the iMac always running hot.
If this doesn't help and applications still crash... I would suggest:
1. Backup your important files
2. Prepare a usb stick with a Mac OSX Mountain Lion Image
3. Insert the usb stick
4. Reboot the iMac while holding down the alt key
5. Select the usb stick --> it will start the Mountain Lion installer
6. From the tools menu select the Disk Utility --> Erase the harddrive
7. Install Mountain Lion :)

Kind Regards
Chris[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I did this last week with my 2009/10 MacBook pro and the speed difference is amazing. Should definitely help.

Might the 3DS XL kerfuffle been avoided if Wombat had used the adjective "impressive"? Anyway, I'm throwing in my e-hat for Hybrid.

[quote name='easper']Might the 3DS XL kerfuffle been avoided if Wombat had used the adjective "impressive"?[/QUOTE]

Perhaps.

But Mark MacDonald was raving about how good the 3DS XL was on the latest 8-4 podcast, and somehow I don't think Cheapy would have tried to shout him down with an ode to the iPhone like he did to Wombat.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised at the amount of dlc darksiders 2 is gonna have. I enjoyed/platted Darksiders 1, and there was no dlc for that game. Already they have Angel dlc(limited edition) pre order dlc for gamestop, bestbuy and amazon, crucibles (new back of manual dlc) and a season pass for 3 more dlcs ($20). seems they are going off the saints row 3 dlc rush...

I have to call BS on Wombat performing "trick" shots by shooting at all the letters of a Pepsi can. That sounds absurd. I was in the Army for 8 years and qualified with 3 weapons and none of our qualifications involved shooting soda cans. From now on, anytime Wombat drops some BS, Cheapy should yell "PULL", and make a shotgun sound like he is skeet shooting that BS out of the air.

[quote name='AvidWriter']"Crows and ravens are migratory birds and therefore protected by federal law. Unless one has a federal permit (these are difficult to obtain), it is illegal, a criminal offense, to keep a crow or raven. "[/QUOTE]

It wasn't illegal before 1972. Also you don't need a permit if the bird was injured, or orphaned (technically you should try to release it back to the wild, but no one is going to go after you for that). You can legally buy many foreign species of crows; Minah birds are the most popular due to their ability to mimic speech.

[quote name='casamh']I have to call BS on Wombat performing "trick" shots by shooting at all the letters of a Pepsi can. That sounds absurd. I was in the Army for 8 years and qualified with 3 weapons and none of our qualifications involved shooting soda cans. From now on, anytime Wombat drops some BS, Cheapy should yell "PULL", and make a shotgun sound like he is skeet shooting that BS out of the air.[/QUOTE]

What's so impossible as long as you reset the can between shots, or use one can per letter? I'm assuming he used a BB gun or a .22, not some military caliber weapon that would blow the can apart. Also soda cans used to be a lot stronger back in the day because they were made out of tin.

Another great episode.

Also Cheapy, I can kind of relate to your enthusiasm for foosball. Since before I was born my dad's been a crazy foosball fan. So much so that when he was stationed in Germany during the late 70's/early 80's while in the Air Force, he played on a semi-pro team, lol. I remember him teaching me how to pass the ball between guys on each row and to not wildly spin the handles when I was a kid.

Also, I'm interested in hearing what you think of Dust: An Elysian Tail next week, Ship. Haven't been too interested XBLA's recent output this summer, but Dust looks amazing.

[quote name='donkeydrop']What's so impossible as long as you reset the can between shots, or use one can per letter? I'm assuming he used a BB gun or a .22, not some military caliber weapon that would blow the can apart. Also soda cans used to be a lot stronger back in the day because they were made out of tin.[/QUOTE]

Yes, we used a .22 and I mentioned on the show we would reset the can. It wasn't really a great trick, but it would impress the younger campers.

I saved one of the cans for a long time, but lost it after various moves.

I'm not one to comment at all on shows/podcast I listen to (typical thing for a troll to say right?)
But I'm being serious.

This show has sucked for such a long time. I can't remember when it was great though to be completely honest and how I've trudged to every other uninspired episode where Cheapy pretends to give a shit about the gaming industry. Mostly just giving a shit about how much money he makes through the site. Typical, jew. That's not me being racist just perceptive because I really like Wombat because at least he's funny but listening to Cheapy who could care less about what's going on in the industry he's making his living off of and Shipwreck who's love for 80's action figures has made him incapable of enjoying excellent games (i.e. Heavy Rain) is slowly making me retarded.

Wombat I feel sorry for you for having to put up with these 2.

Cheapy D; go find some inspiration and stop being so goddam lazy.

Shipwreck; You're good at math. I guess that's cool?

[quote name='Voojagig']I'm not one to comment at all on shows/podcast I listen to (typical thing for a troll to say right?)
But I'm being serious.

This show has sucked for such a long time. I can't remember when it was great though to be completely honest and how I've trudged to every other uninspired episode where Cheapy pretends to give a shit about the gaming industry. Mostly just giving a shit about how much money he makes through the site. Typical, jew. That's not me being racist just perceptive because I really like Wombat because at least he's funny but listening to Cheapy who could care less about what's going on in the industry he's making his living off of and Shipwreck who's love for 80's action figures has made him incapable of enjoying excellent games (i.e. Heavy Rain) is slowly making me retarded.

Wombat I feel sorry for you for having to put up with these 2.

Cheapy D; go find some inspiration and stop being so goddam lazy.

Shipwreck; You're good at math. I guess that's cool?[/QUOTE]

So did you want Hybrid or not?

I spend a couple hundred bucks a year to produce a gaming podcast which makes me $0. But yes, I don't care about gaming and only care about money.

Get off my site you Anti-Semitic asshole. I wish I could ban you from listening to my show too.

/yesifeelbetternow

^ Lol, the last three posts are gold. Ship, your comment made me laugh and Cheapy I applaud you.

Anyways, great show. Watched Drive over the weekend, and it was great. I can see where people disliked it, but I still found it quite enjoyable. Wish there were more car chases though.

[quote name='shipwreck']So did you want Hybrid or not?[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing it was the Hawaiian vacation that he really wanted.

Re: the weird banned dude.

It's weird how much some people get their knickers in a twist over a podcast. Do they really spend 90 minutes a week just raging while listening to a show they don't even like? Weird.

For whatever it's worth, I think this podcast is flat-out awesome. It's the only one I listen to with regularity. It's always funny and interesting, provides a couple hours of entertainment while at work, and always feels genuine. Thanks, and keep up the good work.

So now that we know Wombat is an expert marksman, how many of us are looking back on our hypothetical Walking Dead scenario saying they'd like to have that decision back.

[quote name='bickle']Re: the weird banned dude.

It's weird how much some people get their knickers in a twist over a podcast. Do they really spend 90 minutes a week just raging while listening to a show they don't even like? Weird.

For whatever it's worth, I think this podcast is flat-out awesome. It's the only one I listen to with regularity. It's always funny and interesting, provides a couple hours of entertainment while at work, and always feels genuine. Thanks, and keep up the good work.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

bread's done
Back