CAGcast #311: Down Down

I don't feel like the cast suffered last week without Shipwreck. Don't get me wrong, I think Ship is a great addition to the cast, but it was kind of a nice/nostalgic change last week.

I had to go on a 2 hour drive earlier in the week (taking my dog for surgery), and it made the drive much more enjoyable and relaxing than it would have been otherwise.

Thanks for always being awesome.

I found it funny that everyone assume the combat in The Last Of Us is about killing thousands of zombies when everything they have shown of the gameplay is combat against other humans.

I don't normally agree with Cheapy when it comes to Nintendo, but I think his observation that the Wii-U is in beta right now is spot-on. I thought the Nintendo Direct announcements were great and once those Zelda and Mario games come out, the Wii-U is going to be a sustainable system. But those people that buy the Wii-U for Zelda or Mario HD are going to get a system with a great franchise game, faster OS, and updated features (like the Virtual Console). People who have the system right now don't have any of that, so I would consider my time with the system right now absolutely the "beta" period.

I can understand Nintendo wanting to save its big guns for E3 when Sony and Microsoft are going to unveil their new systems but it'll likely be almost a year in the life of the Wii-U before we see the next Mario or Zelda. There will have been no reason for the Wii-U to have been released a year earlier, except to appeal to the Nintendo fans that would have bought the system regardless of when it was released.

Of course, Wombat would agree with the BS that is the Far Cry 3 racist claim. I cannot stand people that think like that. All people have time to do now days is sit around and dream up reasons to be 'offended'. The PC movement has left the western world, particularly America, as nothing more than giant children--easily offended and with fragile little psyches. I love this show, and it's fun to listen to them banter and talk about games, but certain people on it are akin to oxygen thieves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't help myself. Immediately after the opening music ended I stopped listening and fired up spotify to listen to that 311 album. The whole thing. Ahhhhhh high school memories. That album came out 18 years ago if my memory is correct. Damn I'm old. Came back and listened later. Great episode as usual.

Reason #498 of Why I Love the CAGcast

5 seconds into Wombat's Mumford and Sons impersonation I thought "sounds a little like 500 miles". And of course the CAG crew picks up on it and I get a Wombat Proclaimers impersonation too. So good.

:)

Last time I checked, migrating DLC and what-have-you from earlier LittleBigPlanet games into Karting was still on their to-do list. So caveat emptor. By which I mean caveat of missing out on it at twenty/ten bucks.

Searching For Sugar Man is now available at Redbox. I just reserved my copy for the box down the street.

UPDATE: That movie should have been 20 minutes long. It was a chore to pay attention while folding laundry. I think I applauded at the end because it was finally over. Also: I fast-played through the long music parts, I don't appreciate his music nearly as much as white people in Africa.

The single interesting thing about the story wasn't even addressed at all: Why and how did his "death" story come about? Apparently that wasn't worth talking about, but the size of his unused hotel bed was.

As a 311 fan, I really appreciated Cheapy's hilarious rendition of Down 7 or 8 episodes back and I was glad that he remembered to start CAGcast#311 with the song.

Shipwreck gets bonus points for his punny 311 tweet for the episode and Wombat gets a demerit for failing to come up with any 311 jokes at all.

+1 for Link to the past being the best zelda game ever.
Is there a video game that has had a better ending since?
I feel game endings these days are afterthoughts. That one was epic.

Cheapy and Shipwreck get some 311 love/jokes into the episode. Wombat adds completely pussified FarCry3 racism arguments. It makes you uncomfortable in retrospect? Go play some more LEGO Star Wars or whatever. Seriously, find a gamer to add to the Cagcast.

I checked out Ting and their calculator. It says my $60/month plan will end up costing me about $200/month with them. It's a good service, but for someone that has unlimited data and uses a lot of it, I am just going to keep what I have. Sorry.

When talking about Ni no Kuni, Shipwreck said that he wishes JRPGs would "fix the issue" of grinding. That makes it sound like grinding is an unintentional aspect of the game(s). It's not... grinding is an intrinsic part of those types of games. Yes, it may not appeal so much to a Western crowd, but it's not something that is unintended and should be removed. I can't say I myself am a huge fan of grinding, but the games wouldn't be the same without it.

[quote name='Jasper Kazai']When talking about Ni no Kuni, Shipwreck said that he wishes JRPGs would "fix the issue" of grinding. That makes it sound like grinding is an unintentional aspect of the game(s). It's not... grinding is an intrinsic part of those types of games. Yes, it may not appeal so much to a Western crowd, but it's not something that is unintended and should be removed. I can't say I myself am a huge fan of grinding, but the games wouldn't be the same without it.[/QUOTE]
A balance needs to be struck though, a level of grinding should be required if the player wants to make the battles easier, but excessive grinding should not be required just to be able to advance in the game. Traveling through an area, killing every enemy once in the area as you move through should be enough for you to be able to scrap by through all but perhaps the end game boss IMHO.

That type of grinding I don't mind as much as at least you are free to pick what enemy you wish to fight. The type of grinding I despise is having to kill the same type of enemy over and over with the chance that it will drop a certain item. THAT's a pointless time waster, like the day(s) long hunt for the Pure Bladestone in Demon's Souls.

Persona 4 Golden lets you play on Easy with no penalty in terms of trophies, and on that difficulty you shouldn't need to do any grinding at all. On Normal there's a little bit of grinding required if you are running thru the dungeons as fast as possible.

[quote name='usickenme']
The Cagcast is officially useless for to the multi-console owning OPEN MINDED gamer.[/QUOTE]
It's not useless, it's like watching Sacha Cohen "documentary", it's for entertainment , not information.

I love nhl13 cheapy! Add me on psn and we can get a game sometime : mhedden. we have a eashl club that started as a cag club, we are all still cags but we no longer call the club cheapassgamers.

Oh and, Toyko landmarks (to my knowledge via the cagcast):
Tokyo America Club
Jiro Dreams of Sushi place
Weight conscious maids
Same Day Amazon delivery
Tall buildings that sway during earthquakes
The only standing desk in Tokyo (in Cheapy's apt)

I think thats it. my memory is terrible though, so i'm sure this list could be better with some more input :)

Hey guys. I think I'm going to have to agree with Cheapy on the "racism" issue of Far Cry 3. I think in many mediums, games included, people fail to take things at face value anymore. People look for problems or issues in ways that the developer most likely had not even remotely thought about. Just because it's a white guy in a foreign country doesn't mean it's racist. He's the savior of the island? It's a plot point- not a racial agenda. He's killing indigenous peoples? He's on their island and some of them are doing not so legal or kind things. It's not like there's going to be a ton of caucasian people there. Just my opinion guys. Great show as always.

good to have the band back together! i agree it's troubling to see nintendo stumble around like this, but if sony and microsoft can't get a competative price-point for launch i believe nintendo will do very well for the holidays. just my uninformed opinion. hey-yo!

The problem with Far Cry 3 is it's a twist on Classic Supremacy thinking, in which "Non-Whites" can not save them selves. It basicly promotes the idea that Non-white don't have agency, I'm sure this wasn't intentional but it's done, recognize it and move on it's done all over Hollywood. You know what people love stories like this a hero out of place in time saving some defenseless brown people?

Their are tons of examples through history but the simple thing is to Google "White Mans Burden". I don't fault you for not being aware but, I really love what you do and I want the people admire to at least be knowledgable on things like this, before speaking so strongly against it. Speaking from a Black Jew with a Islamic name that was raised in the South I think

I usually agree with Wombat's opinions, but I couldn't disagree more with his comment that Nintendo could somehow slow down New Xbox/Playstation system sales by having Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart WiiU games out before their respective launches. Those games really aren't system sellers anymore and the Xbox/Playstation crowd doesn't really go for that type of game as proven by the lackluster success of Playstation Allstars.

Really surprised shipwreck didn't mention any of the drama surrounding Ni No Kuni's release.

I knew THQ declared bankruptcy but had no idea they were selling off licenses. Cheapy probably would own Darksiders license had he been invited (assuming those types of auctions are invite only).

Also surprised about Atari. What were doing that they had to declare?

A new Smash Bros. would definitely allow the Wii U to get ahead. A Mario and Zelda alone won't be enough.

[quote name='guardian_owl']A balance needs to be struck though, a level of grinding should be required if the player wants to make the battles easier, but excessive grinding should not be required just to be able to advance in the game. Traveling through an area, killing every enemy once in the area as you move through should be enough for you to be able to scrap by through all but perhaps the end game boss IMHO.

That type of grinding I don't mind as much as at least you are free to pick what enemy you wish to fight. The type of grinding I despise is having to kill the same type of enemy over and over with the chance that it will drop a certain item. THAT's a pointless time waster, like the day(s) long hunt for the Pure Bladestone in Demon's Souls.[/QUOTE]

I thought DQ8 struck a great balance. There were a handful of parts that required a bit of grinding (notably the very beginning, oddly), but mostly it was fine if you didn't run away from everything. The grinding was made more enjoyable by the monster-capturing aspect and the mostly open world, both of which Ni No Kuni has, as I understand it.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']so surprised about Atari. What were doing that they had to declare?[/QUOTE]
As I understand it, the American component of Atari is outperforming the French component of Atari (70% of revenue comes from Atari USA) and this bankruptcy motion will be used to decouple the two operations so that Atari USA does not get dragged down by the debt of the European operation.

[quote name='Bluesilo']You guys need to watch Dark Knight Returns Pt.2 as soon as possible. It's incredible.[/QUOTE]

I agree, it was pretty bad ass!

'Love tunnel', all I'm sayin' :p

bread's done
Back