CAGcast #316: All Heart

Like Shipwreck, I was also interested in streaming SNES gameplay. I found this video about streaming gameplay, which though from 2011, is still pretty relevant. It's not about SNES streaming, but gives some basic information:
My Twitch channel:

I used a Hauppauge HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition. It does not come with composite input, but for around $20 you can get an accessory for that. The previous HD PVR had composite input, however with that version you require an AV splitter, as it won't split the signal to output it to your television. The version I have will, but outputs via HDMI. So, it will require an AV splitter for playing on an older tv set. Playing straight from the capture preview on your computer monitor will only work for games that don't require quick input, as there is a 3 second delay.

Unecessary details:
For my first video, one of the SNES audio outputs was very weak, so I ended up using several AV cables in order to get the video and audio to my television & the HD PVR. The audio ended up being buzzy. I swapped out the AV for that of my N64. The 2nd video seems fine.

I used XSplit to stream. I selected the screen region of ArcSoft ShowBiz (software bundled with HD PVR 2) that displays the capture preview. I didn't mess around with the audio settings on XSplit. It seems that it grabs whatever is coming out of the computer. If you have your stream running in a web browser, make sure to have it muted. I deleted a video of mine, as it had an echo, due to that.

I am interested in the zombie ninja game.

The text is out of whack, because I got signed out while writing my post. So, I copied and pated it, resulting in weird colors and underlining that does not show in the post preview.

Last edited by a moderator:
Super House of Dead Ninjas looks really fun from what I've seen of it. I'd love if they brought more Adult Swim games to the platform, like Westerado.

Also, the moment they started talking about hockey periods I knew Wombat would say something about periods and then he delivered. I lol'd.

Dear CheapyD,

Coming from a guy hairy as fuck and face beardy as fuck, I give you this advice on shaving. I have told a few friends that say shaving sucks and they all enjoy it somewhat now. It's not about your razor. It's about the shaving cream you use. Try Aveeno shaving cream (http://www.aveeno.com/skincare/products/therapeutic-shave-gel). Hopefully they have it available in Japan or somehow for you to get it. It's a bit more expensive than all other shaving cream, (about $4 American) but holy fuck balls of dick castle does it work amazing. Gives you a smooth glide and makes you smooth as fuck. You don't even need that much and I found personally it takes less swipes from the blade and doesn't give me that tearing feeling I get with other shaving gel/creams.

I highly suggest you try it, I've had multiple people switch to this brand and they're like "holy shit, my face is smooth as fuck and it seems to work so well." just remember to shave against the hair and easy peezy. I find that some people actually enjoy shaving now because of this fantastic product.

Sincerely,
Hairy ass mother-fucker

[quote name='metallicoholic']There's a lot of excitement building for Assassin's Creed IV but I just can't get behind it. This was the kind of hype that got built up when Assassin's Creed III was revealed; remember how excited we all were that it was going to take place in America with a half-Indian assassin? I know I'm not the only one that was severely let down by that game so my instinct is telling me not to get that excited about IV, even if you're a pirate. I think making AC a yearly franchise has killed it for me.[/QUOTE]

Right, it was Cheapy's most anticipated game of 2012, and look how he feels now. I'm not sure why he is getting all re-hyped for a pirate and more eventual letdown/more of the same gameplay.

Shipwreck, since you counted the Vita Assassin's Creed game, you forgot PSP game Bloodlines. So is that 7 AssCreed games in 6 years?

Also, how are your guys razor blades not dull after 10+ years of use?!

Whoops, almost forgot to post this...

Show Notes

5:30 Kidzania / Cammie Dunaway (sp?)
8:15 Ship@Nashville
15:15 Wombat's dinner
18:30 Show feedback
18:30 - PS4 announcement stuff: PSN games not carrying over, used games, PS3 "disaster"
25:00 Watch This: Wreck-it Ralph
28:00 - Girl Model
32:15 - Argo
32:45 - Amazing Spider-Man
34:45 Read This: Raised Eyebrows - My Years Inside Groucho's House
36:00 New Releases
36:00 - Tomb Raider
40:15 - MLB 13
41:45 - Mass Effect 3: The Citadel DLC
43:00 - Sim City
43:30 - Castlevania 3DS, Naruto 3DS, Naruto PS3
45:30 Star Wars Pinball
52:30 Path of Exile
53:45 Super House of Dead Ninjas codes contest
54:30 The Bridge
56:30 Sonic Racing Transformed
59:15 THQ properties auctions
1:02:00 Assassin's Creed IV leaked trailer
1:04:30 EA microtransactions / Real Racing
1:12:00 Generation of Chaos (PSP)
1:15:30 Borderlands 2
1:16:15 Cagbag
1:16:15 - Sites posting the CAG Amazon code but not referencing CAG
1:20:15 - Hardware selling at a profit?
1:22:15 - Have ppl left consoles?
1:28:15 - Nintendo: software only?
1:28:30 - Nintendo and 3rd parties

[quote name='metallicoholic']There's a lot of excitement building for Assassin's Creed IV but I just can't get behind it. This was the kind of hype that got built up when Assassin's Creed III was revealed; remember how excited we all were that it was going to take place in America with a half-Indian assassin? I know I'm not the only one that was severely let down by that game so my instinct is telling me not to get that excited about IV, even if you're a pirate. I think making AC a yearly franchise has killed it for me.[/QUOTE]

I would be all for yearly installments if the quality was upheld. But it hasn't been. III was just a turd pressed into a silver disc. I'm not writing IV off, but I'm not too excited about it either. I'm adopting a "wait and see" attitude. I feel the same about the next Dragon Age and Mass Effect as well.

I'm glad you guys touched on the PS3/PS4 "bleed over". I personally don't think devs are going to move from the PS3 so quickly either.

Its still a pretty sturdy machine, in terms of what you can do with it.

I'm not sure how it works, but do you think Sony will still sell licenses and dev kits for the PS3 for a while? I'd love to see smaller developers or people working to create smaller games for fun, who want to get access to a powerful machine that is relatively cheap to get into.

What's with these dumb comments about The Amazing Spider-man? Unnecessary? Every movie is unnecessary. No one NEEDED 3 of the old Spider-man movies either.

Now I'm a fan of the Sam Raimi spideys, but ASM is my favorite one. Andrew Garfield is just a better Peter Parker (probably cause he's a better actor). The CGI was fantastic (that whole school fight scene with the Lizard was all CGI).
The action scenes were great, and I actually thought the crane scene was pretty climactic. It had a real "root for Spidey" kind of feeling. And they only showed the cranes moving for 10 seconds at most.

I don't know if his story needed to be retold again but I didn't mind that part of it at all. Superhero origin stories are still interesting to watch, and ASM did have differences from the Sam Raimi movies(like the lack of natural webbing).

Shame on Cheapy for picking on Wombat for his dated reading material, despite the fact that Duck Soup was made 80 years ago it's still a hilarious film that's deserving of a Watch This Bitches! Maybe if a mover and shaker like Cheapy D were to talk about it on twitter it would be part of the current social conversation! I will be checking out his recommendation. Great funny show as always, keep up the good work!

P.S. Wouldn't mind a House of Dead Ninjas code.

Great show as always guys. It's still amazing to me how much cheaper PC games are than console games. You pay a premium up front but then you have so many options. With the THQ Humble Bundle, Steam sales, GMG, etc. I probably have built up a collection of 100 games for a very little money.

Anyway, I'd like to a Dead Ninjas code please.

So I've been listening to some old Cagcasts this week, and in episode #133 Cheapy mentions that he doesn't see himself doing the podcast or even running a videogame site past the age of 40. On the next show he walks back those comments slightly, but mainly with regards to the site and not the show. Now it's nearly five years later, do you finally feel too old to be handing out a business card with "ass" on it? Do we really only have 6 months of shows left? How much are you freaking out about turning 40 this year?

Also, if Cheapy did leave would Wombat and Shipwreck soldier on as a duo? Perhaps you guys could replace him with the return of Mrs Shipwreck. Great show this week as always.

[quote name='bickle']I would be all for yearly installments if the quality was upheld. But it hasn't been. III was just a turd pressed into a silver disc. I'm not writing IV off, but I'm not too excited about it either. I'm adopting a "wait and see" attitude. I feel the same about the next Dragon Age and Mass Effect as well.[/QUOTE]

If we could get the kind of quality from the yearly installments that we got with AC: Brotherhood after ACII, I'd be all for this model. But unfortunately Revelations was a letdown and ACIII was even more disappointing. The tide is just not in ACIV's favor.

Personally I'd rather have Assassin's Creed come out one year and a new Prince of Persia the following year, but I know that won't happen ever.

I am in agreement with Wombat on iOS games, those free to play games are the absolute worst but like you say on micro transactions, DLC etc people buy them so the companies continue putting them out.

[quote name='Slim Fandango']So I've been listening to some old Cagcasts this week, and in episode #133 Cheapy mentions that he doesn't see himself doing the podcast or even running a videogame site past the age of 40. On the next show he walks back those comments slightly, but mainly with regards to the site and not the show. Now it's nearly five years later, do you finally feel too old to be handing out a business card with "ass" on it? Do we really only have 6 months of shows left? How much are you freaking out about turning 40 this year?

Also, if Cheapy did leave would Wombat and Shipwreck soldier on as a duo? Perhaps you guys could replace him with the return of Mrs Shipwreck. Great show this week as always.[/QUOTE]

I'm turning 45 this year. There is no reason for him to stop doing anything he is doing now. I play more video games now than I ever did in my 20's and 30's.

As for feeling "too old to be handing out a business card with 'ass' on it", Cheapy has a great job (referring to the site) - he'd be a fool to give that up any time soon.

Ship - As someone with decent taste in RPGs (as definied by me) and one who is willing to try some off-the-wall stuff, I would really recommend Etrian Odyssey IV for the 3DS. Although I bought them all, I never played the DS iterations. But I am really liking this one. While it is nominally a JRPG (in that it is an RPG made in Japan) it really harkens back to the old-school Western RPGs like Might & Magic and Wizardry - you know, the first-person dungeon crawlers where you had to draw your own maps on gridded paper. That was my gaming staple in the late 80's/early 90's on those early model Macs (when I otherwise sat out the NES/SNES console era). The gameplay in EO IV is much more refined, though, of course. You get an automap on the bottom screen that paints the floor as you walk around and all you have to do is draw walls and annotate special things (like treasure chests, hidden doors, etc) on top of that. And there is minimal story nonsense to get in the way of the gameplay.

[quote name='io']I'm turning 45 this year. There is no reason for him to stop doing anything he is doing now. I play more video games now than I ever did in my 20's and 30's.

As for feeling "too old to be handing out a business card with 'ass' on it", Cheapy has a great job (referring to the site) - he'd be a fool to give that up any time soon.

Ship - As someone with decent taste in RPGs (as definied by me) and one who is willing to try some off-the-wall stuff, I would really recommend Etrian Odyssey IV for the 3DS. Although I bought them all, I never played the DS iterations. But I am really liking this one. While it is nominally a JRPG (in that it is an RPG made in Japan) it really harkens back to the old-school Western RPGs like Might & Magic and Wizardry - you know, the first-person dungeon crawlers where you had to draw your own maps on gridded paper. That was my gaming staple in the late 80's/early 90's on those early model Macs (when I otherwise sat out the NES/SNES console era). The gameplay in EO IV is much more refined, though, of course. You get an automap on the bottom screen that paints the floor as you walk around and all you have to do is draw walls and annotate special things (like treasure chests, hidden doors, etc) on top of that. And there is minimal story nonsense to get in the way of the gameplay.[/QUOTE]

I played the first Etrian Odyssey like a madman when it came out. Really enjoyed it and then got burnt out fairly quickly in the second because there wasn't enough time in between. I've definitely been eyeballing the new one for 3DS.

[quote name='shipwreck']I played the first Etrian Odyssey like a madman when it came out. Really enjoyed it and then got burnt out fairly quickly in the second because there wasn't enough time in between. I've definitely been eyeballing the new one for 3DS.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, so you know that you create your own characters (also like those old RPGs) so the game won't take them away from you for the boss fight like that PSP game you were talking about ;).

If playing used games is up to the publisher I can't see Activision or Ubi allowing used games to work on another console. EA might because they are gonna want your microtransaction money. I don't buy used games but I do sell/trade my console games to fund buying new games. I like to rent games and I use gamefly on and off. If renting and selling/tradeing my games goes away I am not going to be able to play anywhere near as many games this upcoming gen. Thats what has me worried.

Also if the PS4/next Box cost around 800 bucks I am just gonna build a new PC and wait a year or two till the new sytsems are cheap.

I would love a code.

I wouldn't be surprised if next gen one of the consoles/publishers didn't attempt to force out rental services by disallowing used games and then offering to sell short-term licenses for downloadable full games. Get a 5ish day license for $10 for new releases ($60 games), $5 for older titles or instead set the rental price at a certain percentage of the current price of the game. If a player decides to keep it, they can purchase the game within the rental period for full price minus the cost they already paid for the rental.

So rent a new release for $10 and if you purchase it within the 5 day window it costs $50, but if you wait till after the rental expires its $60. Some publishers could probably also use that as a justification to avoid releasing a demo of the game.

I agree Cheapy if Microsoft really wants to put a hurt on Sony they will release the new Xbox for $399 or $299.

If they have basically the same specs but are charging $200 or $300 less they will see Sony sitting on the shelves. My thought is that Microsoft can really make the money back selling Xbox Live for $35 to $50 a year.

[quote name='guardian_owl']I wouldn't be surprised if next gen one of the consoles/publishers didn't attempt to force out rental services by disallowing used games and then offering to sell short-term licenses for downloadable full games. Get a 5ish day license for $10 for new releases ($60 games), $5 for older titles or instead set the rental price at a certain percentage of the current price of the game. If a player decides to keep it, they can purchase the game within the rental period for full price minus the cost they already paid for the rental.

So rent a new release for $10 and if you purchase it within the 5 day window it costs $50, but if you wait till after the rental expires its $60. Some publishers could probably also use that as a justification to avoid releasing a demo of the game.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. The new Sony option of being able to stream a game with the Gai or whatever it's called sounds just like the solution to allow for renting a game versus buying it. I'm sure publishers would love this because rentals basically cause the publisher to get much less as they get 1 sale and then 100s of people use it.

Guys, great show as always. Ship, I also use a razor that I got free in the mail. Mine is a Gillette Sensor Excel. I have no idea how long I've had it, but it's been a long, long time. I also agree that shaving sucks. My solution has been to shave less and less as the years go by. At some point, I decided I could cut my shaving in half by shaving every other day. Eventually, it got to the point where I shave about once a week. Yeah, I look like a bum half the time, but I'm 46, married, and have two teenage kids. Who am I trying to impress at this point? :lol:

Nice show guys!

Ship I've been following your stuff on Twitter about Tomb Raider. Anymore issues with the game crashing? Do you have a Nivida card?

Also I'd love to get a Super House of Dead Ninjas code!

[quote name='kube00']Nice show guys!

Ship I've been following your stuff on Twitter about Tomb Raider. Anymore issues with the game crashing? Do you have a Nivida card?

Also I'd love to get a Super House of Dead Ninjas code![/QUOTE]

I have an Nvidia card and it crashes a lot. I decided to just wait to play it on PC and I'm currently playing the 360 version instead.

I checked out the specs you posted about your PC Cheapy. Dayyyummmm, you got a solid state drive !?! What are the load times off that? That was one of the features I was hoping would be available for the next gen consoles. Looks like they are opting for cloud storage instead.

Great show this week guys!

BTW, put me down on top analysts as saying the ps4 will sell great this holiday season. (US, JP, everywhere)

Love this show. Still my favorite podcast, even after 4 years or so. Wombat, I also enjoy uninformed opinions, but there's just something about the dynamic between these three that makes it flow so well. Thanks for hours of free entertainment!

I think I've heard the negative comments about the Amazing Spiderman movie on several episodes now. While the crane scene is definitely on my list of worst scenes ever, overall I liked it. I think every nerd loves Spiderman, especially the origin. Get amazing powers, get the girl...aside from the great responsibility thing and uncle dying, what's not to like? :p

bread's done
Back