CAGcast #328: Headset Not Included

In relation to what you said about the E3 conferences, I agree that the Microsoft/Xbox conference was the best because of the interest and games shown but I think that Sony/Playstation was the best because it would sell the next gen console because of the way they slaughtered the Xbox One with the game trading and price and all the other things.

I can only speak for myself but playing certain games without being able to chat with the people who you are in the room with is terrible. Not everyone is a douchebag and I've gotten a few good friends by meeting them online in games.

I While games like COD make me have to mute all the people that want to fuck my mom or call me any manner of racial terms, games like Forza generally have a better community and it can be fun to set up games within games in which EVERYONE needs to be on the same page (cat and mouse)

I've gamed for over 28 years, It wasn't always full of people that make you want to stab your eardrum out when you are in chat.

Fist Puncher code chance would be cool

Thanks,

I don't think the 'outrage' to the headset issue is entirely disproportionate, because not only does it seem like a bit of a regression on the basic Live experience that Xbox users have enjoyed for over a decade now, but it appears to be another piece of the larger picture. That is, this whole Xbox One ramp-up has felt like Microsoft was going in with a very specific agenda that it wanted to force on us, while not being forthcoming about their vision.* And clearly, most people weren't going to 'lay back and enjoy it,' because 'it'll all be over soon.'  (Because it wouldn't.)

Does throwing the word "agenda" out there make me paranoid?  Maybe, but consider this: (ironically) it was Microsoft years ago that worked extra hard to impose the headset as an integral part of the Live experience.  I maintain that's because they wanted to get gamers/kids/part-time and full-time assholes to get hooked on the (anti)social interaction as much as the gameplay experience, hence more Live renewals.  So now, they want to make people largely default to Kinect for this.  Is this to get the whole family in on the shittalking?  Who knows?  Regardless, this is inconvenient and highly irresponsible of them (from the standpoint of exposing thousands of even younger children to profane vitriol and bigotry).  Were this their only noticeable pre-launch misstep, I think people would gripe and cope.  But this is a topic at the tail end of a very rough stretch that they largely brought on themselves.

And the 'red ring memories' blog and podcast stories are still yet to start popping up...fun fun.

*--Yeah, the simplest explanation says that they just dropped the ball with justifying their policy decisions through PR, but my gut tells me they were trying to pull a fast one, and were actually incompetent with their distracting.

[SIZE=12pt]Using Kinect instead of a headset to talk to other players is a step backwards to me. It just seems like there are more negatives than positives. First of all, I really don’t want to yell at my television to talk to people. I also don’t want to hear background noise from other players. (This is something that already happens now with people using Kinects to talk on the 360. Just imagine that on a bigger scale.) Also, the majority of time when I hear people talking over the speakers of my television, it’s difficult to make out what they are saying because it’s blending in with the game’s audio. Does this mean I am going to have to go into the options of each multiplayer game I have and turn the audio down now? I am with Wombat on this and I think having a headset is a much better solution for player communication.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I would gladly take a code for the Tiny Tina DLC for Borderlands 2.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Microsoft's Larry Hyrb since you're up on CAG, read my post here and tweet this-

$499 Xbox One + $40 headset - $140 Kinect 2.0 = $399 = Pre-order #satisfiedcustomer

Hey Microsoft's Major Nelson, Larry Hyrb, since you're up on CAG read my post:

Quit putting freaky pictures on my dashboard - my kids see this when they go to Netflix and it gives them nightmares.  I have my settings on no mature content already, but it still pops up.  If you want your machine to be family friendly, then you have to watch crap like this!  That State of Emergency ad picture has got to go or at least have an option to make things like that not show up.  

Please respond if you read this. 

I have not used my headset in months. I do not know where it is at the moment.  Including a Kinect makes it easier for the general public to have chat online.  If I thought the chief problem with people saying stupid things was kids I would say having a headset only fosters that.  It allows the kids to hear the stuff without their parents knowledge.  I really do not run into jerks that offen, but most of them seem to be adults.   I do think Microsoft's new Smartmatching, if it works, could help reduce the number of idiots you run into. 

If no one has seen this demo of Kinect it shows how the noise cancellation will work on Kinect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dSefGxnThc&t=2m19s

Why is it that when people make an assumption about the XboxOne's built in mic the assumption is often that it's going to be a PoS? I mean, you can just as easily take it in the opposite direction and assume it's going to work great.

If my iPhone can detect and limit background noises I am sure that the XboxOne will be capable of the same. You can make a case for other people being in the room and talking, but I think that's a small issue in all actuality. As for people/kids/spouses/etc. being rowdy and yelling, shouting, cussing, screaming, and crying; that kind of loud and crass stuff is going to come through a mic no matter what, whether it's sitting on your head an inch from your mouth or sitting in your TV stand.

The biggest issue people seem to have is that they don't want to communicate in a different way than they are used to. The alternative might be better and more convenient but they want to stick with what they know which in this case is a headset.

Also, this is not the same as the PS3 and its complete lack of out of the box communication, that comparison should not have been made.

FYI - no reason to start over. If you get a new copy of the game, you can move your character into the new game save to be the mayor (only if you were not the mayor in your original town). That way you can let the wife continue to have her game, but move ahead in your own and not have to worry about her.

The game is only $26.59 at Walmart and Amazon right now so it is a good time to get a second copy. I don't see it going much lower than that any time soon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053BCML6/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d1_i3?tag=cheapassgam08-20&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0BXWYF8VBDQTNP4DXGBD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

But anyway Wombat, I agree with your frustration with sharing the 3DS/AC game. After just ONE day of my son playing on my copy, I went out and not only bought him his own copy of the game, but also a 3DS to play it on ;).
And I think now we see the reason why they won't let you switch back forth between which character is the mayor, to sell more copies. :p.

Great show guys. Sorry about the Yoga Cheapy, people need to take responsibility sometimes. 

Id love a code for Fist Puncher!

On the issue of using the Kinect for chat versus a headset --

This once again goes to show that Nintendo was way ahead of the curve.  "Welcome to 2008, Microsoft.  Wii Speak."  (Drop the mic.)

Worked out well then...

:twoguns:

You fella's are, to use Cheapy's words are "retarded" when it comes to The Last Of Us. Easy, really? I played it on normal, had no problems. The game is the best looking game of this generation! The gameplay is great! Dare I say best game of this generation! This is just my "retarded' opinion.

When Cheapy was a bit annoyed about people calling the Xbox One Xbone to demean it (because they were "making fun of it" as he said), I wondered... did he feel the same way when people were saying the PS3 had no games for the longest time? For some reason, I have a feeling he didn't.

Totally agree about no headset inclusion with the Xbox One is dumb. Personally, the PS3 not including one did not affect me since I am a PC gamer and already had a selection of USB headsets to use, but I know that is not the norm. At this point, though, I'm not surprised at all that M$ just wants to have yet another accessory that is a "must-buy" for most customers.

Shipwreck, go get Muramasa Rebirth. You would like it.

I have not used my headset in months. I do not know where it is at the moment. Including a Kinect makes it easier for the general public to have chat online. If I thought the chief problem with people saying stupid things was kids I would say having a headset only fosters that. It allows the kids to hear the stuff without their parents knowledge. I really do not run into jerks that offen, but most of them seem to be adults. I do think Microsoft's new Smartmatching, if it works, could help reduce the number of idiots you run into.

If no one has seen this demo of Kinect it shows how the noise cancellation will work on Kinect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dSefGxnThc&t=2m19s
Thanks for posting that video - some awesome tech in the new Kinect. Gives me faith that the noise cancelling will work.

When Cheapy was a bit annoyed about people calling the Xbox One Xbone to demean it (because they were "making fun of it" as he said), I wondered... did he feel the same way when people were saying the PS3 had no games for the longest time? For some reason, I have a feeling he didn't.
Look! A wild Sony fanboy!

The show was great guys, good discussions as always. Have to agree with Wombat on the whole headset inclusion with the Xbox One. I'd much rather use a headset than Kinect. I'm glad though that MS is developing some kind of system to use old headsets with the Xbox One, as I still have 3 lying around the house.

Great show guys.

I think the xBONE got Microsoft'ed big time.
With Windows8 being a turd, MS is putting its future on Xbox. With that, there are a lot more bean counters following it than in the past.

With Xbox and then again with 360, the Xbox division was able to call all the shots and make its own rules within MS. That doesn't seem to
be the case anymore. This draconian drm and poor decisions is straight out of a Windows playbook.

Great show guys.

I think the xBONE got Microsoft'ed big time.
With Windows8 being a turd, MS is putting its future on Xbox. With that, there are a lot more bean counters following it than in the past.

With Xbox and then again with 360, the Xbox division was able to call all the shots and make its own rules within MS. That doesn't seem to
be the case anymore. This draconian drm and poor decisions is straight out of a Windows playbook.
Thats as dumb a statement as I've ever seen. You think Microsoft is so bad off from Windows 8 that the new Xbox is supposed to be the future for them?

Do you even know anything about Microsoft? Just look up the market percentage that Windows has for PC's then apologize for being ignorant.

Thats as dumb a statement as I've ever seen. You think Microsoft is so bad off from Windows 8 that the new Xbox is supposed to be the future for them?

Do you even know anything about Microsoft? Just look up the market percentage that Windows has for PC's then apologize for being ignorant.
Just based on the amount of money that their divisions bring in, the Xbox division brings in less than 10% from what was said on the Giant Bombcast recently. That part of the company isn't as big as people think it is.

Just based on the amount of money that their divisions bring in, the Xbox division brings in less than 10% from what was said on the Giant Bombcast recently. That part of the company isn't as big as people think it is.
Yes and people think Microsoft will be crippled if the new console struggles out of the gate. Microsoft is huge, the console can go on life support and not damage the company too badly.

Thats why when I hear that the Xbox One is doomed and Sony has won "The Console War" I laugh. Microsoft has a lot of tentacles.

That is why Win8 is failing in the market. It's sales are worse than Vista for the same time since release. Sure MS is bringing in cash now but Windows is not the future. PCs are declining in general. The margins are not with Windows, it's with Xbox.

Look how many layoffs there have been at MS since 2009. Not exactly a healthy company.

Great show, guys.

I agree that not packing in a headset with the Xbox One is kind of lame, but I'm sure the system will have Bluetooth capabilities to connect up with the multiple Bluetooth enabled headsets we all have laying around the house. I'm not too worried.

Also, I'd like to be entered in the contest please!

If we could get an Android Operating System for PC, then Xbone may have to be the future. I refuse to buy a windows 8 anything.
Android Rice Krispy treat OS...sounds so good.

That is why Win8 is failing in the market. It's sales are worse than Vista for the same time since release. Sure MS is bringing in cash now but Windows is not the future. PCs are declining in general. The margins are not with Windows, it's with Xbox.

Look how many layoffs there have been at MS since 2009. Not exactly a healthy company.
To be fair, many companies have laid off because of the economy. Windows is still the main OS in many businesses and it's still a moneymaker. Sony lost money for how many years and just started to turn itself around and they are smaller than Microsoft.

Microsoft is not going anywhere.......

If it weren't for the eye appealing exclusives there'd be no way in hell that I would buy the X1, once again the exclusives have gotten me. :)

Also in for the contest!

I just wanted to point out that Wombat is mostly right about Spartacus, but the first ten levels or so, the better weapons unlock for to buy for silver when you get to the level, and spending gold is only if you want them early. The game isn't completely horrible, but the graphics definitely have that filter feel, the main fighting characters look OK, but the background characters are what you'd expect from the crowd from Madden 05. Lastly, there is a total of 400 GS for it, and Wombat unlocked at least one, since there is one for beating the tutorial ;)

But great show otherwise. Glad to see the entirety of the Internet is not enraged over a 10 cent microphone. I had two of the original 360 ones and they both broke, and then I finally upgraded to Turtlebeach X41s. Social media and some odd sense of entitlement have completely destroyed any comments section when it comes to Xbox news. Just today, the fact that people were enraged over getting Defense Grid for free is ridiculous. I saw multiple comments of people saying they bought Gold just for the free games. Why the fuck would someone do that, and nevertheless activate it, before they saw just the second game of the promotion?

One last tidbit, I had a good chuckle when Cheapy said the Gaystation. Personally, I like the term Sonyggers over PSwhores, but maybe that is just the Paula Deen raging inside of me.

Oh, and would love to enter for the BL2 DLC code!

I like the part where Cheapy says consumers will get what they want because of the "free market" then not 30 seconds later says that the all digital future is coming regardless of what the consumer wants.

I like the part where Cheapy says consumers will get what they want because of the "free market" then not 30 seconds later says that the all digital future is coming regardless of what the consumer wants.
I think Cheapy is referring to the fact that consumers will buy what they want. You are not forced to buy ACME brand console. Nobody is forcing you to buy an Xbox, or a Playstation. You can buy one, buy both, buy neither, do whatever YOU want to do.

The digital future is coming, who knows how long it will take to happen. It's just easier and quicker to go digital. Good or bad, it's going to happen.

http://www.microsoft.com/Investor/Ea...tRevenues.aspx

For the nine months ending March 31, 2013, the Entertainment and Devices Division had operating income of $958 million. Meanwhile the Windows division made $8,405 million, Server & Tools made $5,839 million, and the Microsoft Business Division made $11,321 million.

Total operating income was $20,691 million so the division that includes Xbox was only 4.6% of that.

I have a friend whose sig-o likes to watch him play online games with a few other friends/family.  They talk a little trash, have some fun, etc.  The watcher prefers the chat sound to come out of the TV so she can hear what's going on.

IF (big if) this works noise-cancellation wise, it's possible that that sort of group conversation could happen with groups/families/etc playing games online.  It's more inclusive than "I'm going to play games with my headphones on" (assuming they want to be included).  

I'm not defending the x1, but the idea that a $3 headset makes a huge difference baffles me.  The only argument i buy is that it helps with adopting use of chat in games, but people who really want to talk a lot will buy a nice set of cans.  The proprietary connection does seem dumb.

I think Cheapy is referring to the fact that consumers will buy what they want. You are not forced to buy ACME brand console. Nobody is forcing you to buy an Xbox, or a Playstation. You can buy one, buy both, buy neither, do whatever YOU want to do.

The digital future is coming, who knows how long it will take to happen. It's just easier and quicker to go digital. Good or bad, it's going to happen.
I believe he was actully reffering to the MS's reversal of the DRM policy when he said consumers will get what they want. If he meant what you said, then it really means nothing, cause having a choice doesn't equal getting what you want.

I have a hard time believing that Wombat, the man that enjoys the Deadliest Warrior games, dislikes the Spartacus Legends game.  They're pretty much the same thing.

Show 328 Notes:

3:45 Yoga
11:45 Show feedback
13:15 Ouya
18:15 Console pricing & Kinect
23:30 Pre-E3 conferences
31:30 New Releases
31:30 - Ouya
31:30 - Deadpool
34:00 - Game & Wario
36:00 - Hotline Miami
37:00 - Project Crosszone