CAGcast #344: Outroar!

I don't get it. What are non-gamers supposed to be amazed with? First of all, 3/4ths of the video is gaming, which I'm sure you realize non-gamers aren't going to be impressed with.
Just do it and get back to me, please. ;)

In fact, would love to hear from more of our listeners who give this a try.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not going to make a non-gamer friend watch a 13 minute video when I know they won't even get to either of the two parts they care about because even the first one is over 6 minutes in.

[edit: I actually did sent it to two people now, we'll see what happens]

If I do end up showing it to non-gamers, I'll be sure to mention it is $500 and see if they're interested.

DirecTV and Comcast already have voice control for their cable boxes here in the US since early 2013, and they aren't setting the twitters ablaze, at least not yet.

Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t5jBa1vTn0

(no voice demo in that vid, but they do have it)

I'm sure it's not as good as MS' UI, even if it looks similar viscerally. They are a cable company after all. But remember it also comes at no additional charge.

Again, I'm not saying MS' media features aren't good. I'm not saying people won't use them. What I'm saying is it's virtually impossible to sell someone a $500 Xbox One based upon media features. They're going to have to want to game on it and want to do so pretty badly given the price. So Sony is concentrating their marketing on gaming, and MS is too.

Maybe later we'll see that change, especially as the price of the units comes down. And the software will keep getting better and better too, and we're going to get a lot more content over IP, which the box can tune natively, and less through your cable box, which requires MS' backpack (HDMI in) solution.

This is not going as well as I thought. People aren't really taking me showing them the video in the spirit I intend. Two so far have watched it and said "I don't want an Xbox" which isn't really taking it in the spirit intended. I'm telling them to evaluate the experience and they are whining about the brand. And most aren't gamers, they just have a preconceived notion of MS. Although one I had figured as a non-gamer seems to think he is because he took the time to basically recap the current console war garbage.

One person told me that $60/year (the price I gave for Live) was a good deal "for all that content". He thought he'd be getting ESPN for $60/year, I had to tell him that this was on top of his cable bill and that turned him right off.

I showed one of my friends "in the biz" and he said that if this system requires integrating with your cable box (which it does for control), then it may just be dead in the water. The cable companies aren't interested in being disintermediated from their customers. They see their crappy cable boxes as their own pipe for pushing content they charge for and they aren't thrilled to have someone else put their own UI up which undoes all that. You can think of this as the "TiVo problem". I don't know if this kind of thing is a problem in Japan, but it's huge in the US. The cable companies have a lot of power, you're relatively lucky if they simply don't help you, if they really see you as a threat they would just keep changing how their cable box works so that the Xbox integration fouls up.

It would suck to see a technology fail due to something other than merit. But it also wouldn't be the first time. Companies can be shaq-fuers.

I still have a hard time getting why people would pay $500 for a video game console if they don't play video games so they can watch cable... I mean if they're tech savvy enough to have an Xbox One, then they wouldn't have cable. 

I just want to point out that anyone bashing CheapyD for his tastes in consoles needs to realize that he is now worse at using the bathroom than his six year old son, as evidenced by this week's bathroom accident.

I'm good with finishing up platinum trophies, bioshock burial at sea, castlevania collection and metal gear solid collection. Pretty happy with my decision to cancel the ps4.

Cheapy nails it when he says most interested in seeing the features of new consoles. that's how i feel. I don't care for the launch titles, but i really want to see how the streaming to twitch works etc.

Big thanks to the CAGs who pointed out the 20% off games via the new best buy GCU program which i was already a member of from last year. I managed to preorder 2 games with the discount. im going to check and see if the discount stacks with black friday prices which would be AMAZING.

Shipwreck nailed it when he says people will think twice. i have the EXACT same feeling with games on my vita. i probably would have bought more vita games if my 16gb card wasnt so fully loaded. my ps3 on the otherhand has a 1tb drive installed so i just download EVERYTHING onto it. they REALLY need to give us better options for the hard drive with the ps4. it's win win for both parties...

There will always be outrage over scores because what is good for one person is not good for another person. same deal for the differences between ps4, xb1 and pc. all depends on the type of player. i don't want to hear the number although the number can be helpful to point out your knacks.

Call of duty didnt make a billion in a day!!! They shipped 1 billion to retailers.  GTA V sold 1 billion to customers in 1 day. They said sold to retailers on purpose to create that type of confusion. Ghosts didnt outsell their previous version of the game and GTA still holds all the records.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology-science/technology/call-duty-ghosts-sees-sales-2786720

Basically everyone is waiting for next gen versions for these types of games and not everyone will be getting the console right away.

good show as always. bonus points for jeebus.

Well they aren't going to hate it if that's what you are looking for. But they aren't going to go out and pay $500 for it either. Or $400. Or $300.

I mean who isn't going to like the fantasy of talking to your device or it recognizing you when you walk in? Probably nobody. But is that what we are getting? Yes and No. Yes were are getting that. No it won't work as well as the fantasy.

The video actually convinced me more than ever that these extra features aren't going to be big selling points.

The TV guide experience doesn't seem appreciably better than tv guide experience on a cable/satellite box. Most cable/satellite companies have ipad/iphone apps at this point for making that experience better too. And I am skeptical of relying on voice to control a tv guide. It also seems slow to use voice.

Now what would be useful is if my wife wanted to watch a particular show and boom, the newest episode she hadn't seen yet would be up and playing as part of our cable subscription. That would be sweet. But that ability is probably up to the cable/satellites companies.

Skype isn't a selling point to anyone I know. We call, text or email each other. I don't think it is a mainstream selling point. If you use Skype you obviously will feel differently. The more people you talk to on a regular basis who live overseas or faraway might make you feel differently as well. I just think those folks are exceptions. And most of those using Skype are using it because of its low cost. .And...to buy a $500 box goes against that.

And I can't see internet surfing on a X1 as anything anyone cares about. Nice to have that option I guess if I need to look up a quick bit of info and my phone is across the room. But I can't imagine it wooing anybody to buy an X1.

Last the app switching for those with ADD was a bit much. Sure I like that switching between apps is prompt. But ...I guess it is expected now when we have had that on our phones for years now and pcs for even longer. But, where I might quickly switch in and out of apps on the phone or pc, I don't see the need on a console nearly as much. What is really needed for non-gamers is the ability to switch channels more quickly.

Just to add to the mess, I think Skype is a selling point for some people. Some families video chat the grandparents weekly. Some (many) of those use Skype to do it. Personally, I use Skype (or Facetime) like a phone call. Person-to-person. I would no more want to use my TV to make a Skype call than I would to use it to make a phone call. But for families that get together this way, using the TV would be great both for watching (big screen) and transmitting (wide field of view camera).

But I just don't know how big a percentage of families that is, and how many of them don't already have a workable solution for this and this would buy a $500 unit (plus $60/year) to do it.

The app switching I'll just have to give time. It seems mostly useless to me (I'll just run my apps on my iPad and thus I just turn my head to "switch"). But it's also the kind of thing which opens new possibilities and thus might bring solutions I can't envision yet. So it could be a big deal or nothing. Only way to tell is to wait.

Chartz numbers are not trustworthy.

Yes and....? Do you think an internal power supply has enough power when not plugged in to power your console or something?
The point is that if there's a fault with the power supply itself then having it separate makes it easier to deal with.

Chartz numbers are not trustworthy.

The point is that if there's a fault with the power supply itself then having it separate makes it easier to deal with.
Ah yeah but it's looking like Ghosts will beat Battlefield again though based on their estimates.

I think one other point that people overlook about the media functions of the Xbox One is that: there are more media competitors than gaming competitors. How often does the "next big thing" become something everyone does and one ups the following year? Half of the things on Xbox One will be found on other devices in the next couple years, and trying to sell people on these features with such a high price point is only going to work for so long.

So if Apple releases their Apple TV Ultra (or whatever) and it has pretty much everything but the Kinect and gaming of it for $200...it kind of removes one of the biggest selling points of the Xbox.

I'm in Shipwrecks boat (ship?) on this one. Microsoft appears to be doing what they can to ensure heat issues are minimized. (Bigger box and external power brick) Every little bit helps.

What that leaves is the HDMI in feature (with guide), that I already mentioned. Yeah, it's a differentiating feature for MS. So yeah, they talk about it, as they should. Will it really have a big impact on anyone? I don't know yet, it's not even out yet. It could be a big deal. MS sure thinks so, adding that HDMI in port cannot have helped their $500 cost. So they think it will be big. We'll all know for sure in a while.
Well after seeing that video, my parents were asking if it was possible to get it without the gaming functions. And if it works that slick, I'd be interested in tv-only versions for the other tv's in my house. But I'm not going to buy multiple Xbones. At least not until the first one gives up the ghost.

bread's done
Back